http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 03:31:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Devil May Cry 4 Demo  (Read 7096 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2008, 12:26:44 AM »

It's up on the U.S. store...?

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2008, 01:07:04 AM »

Quote from: depward on January 25, 2008, 12:26:44 AM

Yes.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2008, 01:28:12 AM »

Quote from: depward on January 25, 2008, 12:26:44 AM

yeah, front page right as you go in.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2008, 05:25:27 AM »

My only complaint is that they moved the dodge controls off the right thumbstick.

Otherwise, rock on!

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2008, 07:31:44 AM »

so alot of hacking, jumping and shooting.  I never played the DMC series but I was expecting (foolishly I guess) a bit more.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2008, 07:37:00 AM »

I dunno, I never liked the dodge controls on the right thumbstick.  For a game with such split second timing, the time it took to move my thumb to the stick and flick it in a direction meant I'd already be hit.  I kind of prefer a dodge mechanic where I just press some combination of buttons, like the two shoulder buttons at once along with the left stick to dodge.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2008, 07:42:58 AM »

I played it on the PS3.

DMC4 had kind of fallen off my radar but it's back on it now. Definitely a buy. Won't decide which system to get it for until after I try the demo on the 360 too.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2008, 07:51:03 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 25, 2008, 07:37:00 AM

I dunno, I never liked the dodge controls on the right thumbstick.  For a game with such split second timing, the time it took to move my thumb to the stick and flick it in a direction meant I'd already be hit.  I kind of prefer a dodge mechanic where I just press some combination of buttons, like the two shoulder buttons at once along with the left stick to dodge.

Agreed.  I like it better now biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2008, 08:18:15 AM »

Er, wait.  Is that what they changed it to?  Pressing both shoulder buttons along with moving the left stick?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 08:27:29 AM by Turtle » Logged
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2008, 08:20:53 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 25, 2008, 07:31:44 AM

so alot of hacking, jumping and shooting.  I never played the DMC series but I was expecting (foolishly I guess) a bit more.

well if you don't like the genre of DMCs/Ninja Gaidens/God of Wars, then of course you won't like DMC4

for people who do like those series, this demo kicks serious ass...top-notch all around, can't wait for my Collector's Edition
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2008, 08:23:22 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 25, 2008, 08:18:15 AM

Er, wait.  Is that what they changed it to?  Pressing both shoulder buttons long with moving the left stick?

no

in DMC4, it works by locking on (right bumper or shoulder, depending on 360/PS3)...then moving the left-stick left or right while hitting the Jump button
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2008, 01:05:19 PM »

Yep.  That's DMC.  People will tell you how deep the combo system is .  But the games can be beaten with pure button mashing.  I loved the first one.  I thought the series never really evolved after that.  The demo was pretty much what I expected.  I can't see me buying the game.   I think it could be a good candidate for the Gamefly queue. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 01:09:03 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2008, 01:30:03 PM »

I really liked DMC1-in fact, I was actually good at it, which is surprising with a fighting game. DMC2 is erased from my memory, and while I only rented DMC3 (a few times) and played it for a few hours, it was on of the most absurdly narrow, confined, claustrophobic slashers I have ever played.

DMC4 is none of the above. It's good. It's really, really good. I still suck, mind you. I can kill everything in the demo before Belial, and then I die when he is about 1/3 health every time. That's ok, because the game has large, open expanses, gorgeous graphics, great control, wonderful framerate and 1 second load times on the 360. So I am buying it.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2008, 01:41:43 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 25, 2008, 01:30:03 PM

and 1 second load times on the 360...

How do you know that from the demo?

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2008, 02:04:44 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 25, 2008, 01:41:43 PM

Um, because when I walk in a door and change area it takes 1 second to load? I could care less if it takes 30 seconds to load "Level 2" as long as it takes 1 second to go from a castle to a shipyard and from snowy mountains to a flaming village. And it takes 1 second.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2008, 02:07:23 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 25, 2008, 02:04:44 PM

Um, because when I walk in a door and change area it takes 1 second to load? I could care less if it takes 30 seconds to load "Level 2" as long as it takes 1 second to go from a castle to a shipyard and from snowy mountains to a flaming village. And it takes 1 second.

But the demo is loading from the hard drive.

The game will be loading areas off of a DVD.

I have to think if DVD load times were only one second, then they wouldn't have wasted the effort to create an install procedure on the PS3.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2008, 02:37:40 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 25, 2008, 02:07:23 PM

Quote from: Calvin on January 25, 2008, 02:04:44 PM

But the demo is loading from the hard drive.

The game will be loading areas off of a DVD.

I have to think if DVD load times were only one second, then they wouldn't have wasted the effort to create an install procedure on the PS3.

Well, I am presuming that it's going to cache some data when each "level" loads to make sure thats not an issue-I would guess on PS3 that amount of data is coming installed in that ridiculous rumored 25 minutes to make sure even the level loads are seamless-there are other games that certainly do the cache and load so you  don't have to wait much during individual levels, but it will be interesting to see if it does that in the full game. Like I said, I really don't mind waiting in between levels so long as the in-level transitions are fast.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2008, 02:47:48 PM »

Quote from: Me
I looked under "Demos," "Newest Demos," "Action Demos," and "Show All," and while I found many DMC4 trailers and wallpapers, I can't find the demo anywhere.  Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Incidentally, the reason I couldn't find the demo is that I was logging into the PlayStation store on my PS3...not the X-Box Live! marketplace on my 360. icon_redface

I tried the first and the third Devil May Cry games and I didn't care for either of them very much.  DMC4 makes a much better early impression -- I'm going to spend a little more time with the demo, but I might actually give this series another try once the game is released.

-Autistic Angel
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2008, 03:03:07 PM »

I only played the original DMC for about 4 hrs before getting stuck . . .
Downloaded this last night and really enjoyed both parts of the demo . . . guess I'll have to add this to the list.

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2008, 03:31:59 PM »

BTW, I would love some tips on beating Belial. I can get him to half health taking only minimal damage, and then goes frigging ballistic.

BTW, put me in the camp of "why didn't they leave dodge on the right analog stick?" I think its much harder to control the way they have it now.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2008, 04:25:14 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 25, 2008, 03:31:59 PM

BTW, put me in the camp of "why didn't they leave dodge on the right analog stick?" I think its much harder to control the way they have it now.

I believe DMC3 let you configure your controls so hopefully this one will too.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2008, 05:14:50 PM »

BTW, I would love some tips on beating Belial. I can get him to half health taking only minimal damage, and then goes frigging ballistic.

I beat him first try...with a SLIVER of health.  SLIVER.

I shot him a lot from a distance.  I know, not very stylish and sorta lame.  That is, until I figured out I could grab him, propel myself up towards his head (with the Devil Bringer, hold R1+towards the baddie and hit Circle), and rain aerial combos on him.  When he loses his flame, use the Devil Bringer and you'll take a good chunk of his health with a cool cinematic-y move.  Yeah, you uppercut him and it's sweet.

And if there were houses still standing, I stayed next to them, so he would destroy them and I could get health Tongue  I want to play through it again to see if I beat him on a fluke or with skill!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2008, 05:17:23 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 25, 2008, 05:14:50 PM

I shot him a lot from a distance.  I know, not very stylish and sorta lame.  That is, until I figured out I could grab him, propel myself up towards his head (with the Devil Bringer, hold R1+towards the baddie and hit Circle), and rain aerial combos on him.  When he loses his flame, use the Devil Bringer and you'll take a good chunk of his health with a cool cinematic-y move.  Yeah, you uppercut him and it's sweet.

And if there were houses still standing, I stayed next to them, so he would destroy them and I could get health Tongue  I want to play through it again to see if I beat him on a fluke or with skill!

Oh my god...duh...how could I not think to use Devil Bringer to zap myself up towards him?? ARGHGHGH!! I kept using RB+Y for the charge-slash. Trying this tonight. Totally shocked and awed I like this as much as I do. I mean I really think its fun (and I can be mashy and still kill normal enemies).
ras752000
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2008, 05:27:37 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 25, 2008, 05:17:23 PM

Quote from: TheMissingLink on January 25, 2008, 05:14:50 PM

Oh my god...duh...how could I not think to use Devil Bringer to zap myself up towards him?? ARGHGHGH!! I kept using RB+Y for the charge-slash. Trying this tonight. Totally shocked and awed I like this as much as I do. I mean I really think its fun (and I can be mashy and still kill normal enemies).
Don't feel bad . ..  I overlooked that too . . . I just kept slashing his knees until he stumbled then hit his head while he was down.  That seemed to stop working after the 2nd time and then I died . . . I'll try TML's tip tonight . . . thanks!!!!!

PSN=ras752000
Steam=ras752000gt
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2008, 05:54:36 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on January 25, 2008, 01:05:19 PM

Yep.  That's DMC.  People will tell you how deep the combo system is .  But the games can be beaten with pure button mashing

umm...what?  I guarantee you that no one can beat the original DMC3 with mindless button mashing...there is definitely some specific manual skills involved.  like 5 of my casual gamer friends couldn't even beat that first boss (the grim reaper looking one), because if you just randomly button mash on it, almost every attack would be blocked.  I would also say the same thing about DMC1 too, although I haven't played it in a long time.  as far as DMC2 goes...well everyone knows that game sucks and is the red-headed stepchild of the series, so there's no reason to talk about that game

so I really have no idea what you're talking about, you seem to be implying that the DMCs require no skills to beat?  I would say the God of Wars are *much* more lenient and casual friendly. as far as button mashing goes
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2008, 06:00:35 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on January 25, 2008, 05:54:36 PM

Yep.  That's DMC.  People will tell you how deep the combo system is .  But the games can be beaten with pure button mashing

umm...what?  I guarantee you that no one can beat the original DMC3 with mindless button mashing...there is definitely some specific manual skills involved.  like 5 of my casual gamer friends couldn't even beat that first boss (the grim reaper looking one), because if you just randomly button mash on it, almost every attack would be blocked.  I would also say the same thing about DMC1 too, although I haven't played it in a long time.  as far as DMC2 goes...well everyone knows that game sucks and is the red-headed stepchild of the series, so there's no reason to talk about that game

so I really have no idea what you're talking about, you seem to be implying that the DMCs require no skills to beat?  I would say the God of Wars are *much* more lenient and casual friendly. as far as button mashing goes

+1

I button-mashed in DMC3 in my first game-through and didn't get much further then the 3rd level.

The second time I've been playing through it, I've concentrated on patterns of enemies, upgrading skills, and I'm doing muuuuuch better.  I'd challenge anyway to *try* to beat DMC3 just by button-mashing.  You'll get walloped. 

BTW, next time you're dashing in DMC4, press the taunt button slywink

TheMissingLink on PSN
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2008, 06:03:32 PM »

Traded my RS:V last year to liongames for this one.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2008, 06:21:24 PM »

If you are talking about the original (non collectors edition) of DMC3 I agree with you 100%.  I threw that disk out the window after about a day or so.  The CE was much easier and had a better save system.

Of course DMC games take some skill.  But I am certainly no expert and I was able to hack my way through DMC1 and the CE version of 3.  Yes they are harder than GoW.  But I would say that Ninja Gaiden games take more actual skills than DMC.  At least for me.

Personally I think I have outgrown these types of games.  Even though I admit GoW2 was a beautiful game, I got bored with it quickly, same with Heavenly Sword.  I suspect the same will happen with DMC4.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 06:23:57 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2008, 06:34:30 PM »

The thing that frustrated me about the DMC games is that Dante can jump about fifteen feet, but only straight up in the air.  After playing a game like Ninja Gaiden where the main character is incredibly mobile all the time, Dante's frustrating insistence on hopping in place feels like a really artificial handicap.

I've also found the attitude in the previous games incredibly grating.  Dante is an intensely dislikable character: smarmy, cocky, and arrogant despite the fact that he stars in a gruelingly difficult series where any given encounter is likely to result in his death.  I played DMC3: SE long enough to defeat the first boss,  nd when my reward was a loooooong cutscene of Dante "surfing" around a room on the back of a missile and whooping like a teenage inbred ninja turtle, I simply turned the game off.

Maybe its because it lacks the obnoxious cutscenes, but DMC4 already seems like a more appealing game.  The drop in murkiness is a huge plus, too.

-Autistic Angel
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2008, 06:47:02 PM »

played the 360 demo last night,looks really nice..and the gameplay after a few seconds getting used to it,ran as smoothly as i remember DMC1 running(sword and gun combo)...i wont be buying it for a long time yet though,and not just because i am skint,but because i wanna play through the first 3 to catch up...i fin ished the first one when it first came out,but gonna play through it again

also...i am gonna download the demo of PSN as well and compare,as some people on the PS3 forums downloaded the demo from the Jap store or wherever and said that its grainier then the 360 version and its got....lord forbid....jaggies!!!!!

can anyone who has played both demos confirm or deny that?..it would be bad for SONY if they after all the 'coming to 360'(SONY fanboys threatening to boycott Capcom,if you remember) mess a few months ago..and they got the inferior or the two

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2008, 06:49:56 PM »

I was one of those guys-I barely got 3 or 4 stages in (neve rhad the chance to try the CE) and just quit-and I did it twice with DMC3-of course, for all my gaming knowledge, I have never been good at the real slashers-Ninja Gaiden style ones where you need combos and timing and so forth-but DMC4 really feels accessible based on the demo.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2008, 09:14:11 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on January 25, 2008, 06:49:56 PM

I was one of those guys-I barely got 3 or 4 stages in (neve rhad the chance to try the CE) and just quit-and I did it twice with DMC3-of course, for all my gaming knowledge, I have never been good at the real slashers-Ninja Gaiden style ones where you need combos and timing and so forth-but DMC4 really feels accessible based on the demo.

yeah, the DMC4 demo is extremely easy...I wouldn't really get used to it though, because I've heard the full retail game is much more along the lines of regular DMC1 and DMC3 difficulty.  but if they at least have an easier setting, that should help most people out a lot
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2008, 10:34:03 PM »

I am totally out on this one.  Seems it is EXACTLY the same as the previous games, only prettier.  I still got lost having no idea where to go-never made it to the street where all the 'things' were jumping on the vehicles.  Roamed all over that map and could never figure out how to get to the street.  Finally gave up. 

I found the Balrog demon cool looking but fighting him a button-mashing borefest.

But I did love the whole Budapest look of the first mission.  Very very nice.  But I am done buying, or being tempted into buying, games because of graphics.

For those that loved it, I'm glad a game you like is so close to coming out.  As for me, I have my fingers crossed for Dark Sector.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2008, 11:55:17 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on January 25, 2008, 06:34:30 PM

I've also found the attitude in the previous games incredibly grating.  Dante is an intensely dislikable character: smarmy, cocky, and arrogant despite the fact that he stars in a gruelingly difficult series where any given encounter is likely to result in his death.  I played DMC3: SE long enough to defeat the first boss,  nd when my reward was a loooooong cutscene of Dante "surfing" around a room on the back of a missile and whooping like a teenage inbred ninja turtle, I simply turned the game off.

hehheh... me, i liked the fact he was a smart-assed, showboating prick - if you can do it, it ain't bragging smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2008, 01:52:48 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on January 25, 2008, 09:14:11 PM

Quote from: Calvin on January 25, 2008, 06:49:56 PM

yeah, the DMC4 demo is extremely easy...I wouldn't really get used to it though, because I've heard the full retail game is much more along the lines of regular DMC1 and DMC3 difficulty.  but if they at least have an easier setting, that should help most people out a lot
+1 agreed will totally take advantage of such a mode if included-the demo is a ton of fun, and I want to continue having fun-I have nothing to prove with regards to difficulty level smile
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2008, 03:17:03 AM »

Quote from: mikeg on January 25, 2008, 10:34:03 PM

I am totally out on this one.  Seems it is EXACTLY the same as the previous games, only prettier.  I still got lost having no idea where to go-never made it to the street where all the 'things' were jumping on the vehicles.  Roamed all over that map and could never figure out how to get to the street.  Finally gave up. 

Yeah I'm stuck there too.  I feel like an idiot.  There's a blue spot you stand on and it shows you some glowy jewel thing that you can lock onto but can't shoot.  What the hell?  I guess I'm missing something obvious.

So far from the few fights I have done, it seems good, but I really don't like the music.  Never played a DMC game before.

Edit: Ah, figured it out thanks to Calvin.  Lock-on and press B.  Could've sworn I did that, but I guess not.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 03:18:36 AM by kathode » Logged
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2008, 06:57:05 AM »

Sure, you can probably button mash your way through the game...

But this is just how beautiful the combos can get in the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d8Fnxg8NmA

I'm trying to get better at revving my sword during the fight.  There's a split second, as you slash your enemy, when you hit the L2 button to rev your sword.  Revving the sword essentially makes the next strike more powerful.  You can stand there, and rev the sword to fill up one of the gauges.  But if you press L2 at juuuust the right moment as you slash an enemy, you'll instantly fill up the gauge.

TheMissingLink on PSN
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2008, 02:07:44 PM »

i downloaded the demo last night of PSN(US store) and there is no difference to that and the 360 version,not that i could tell anyway...both looked great

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2008, 03:22:02 PM »

Quote from: kathode on January 26, 2008, 03:17:03 AM

Yeah I'm stuck there too.  I feel like an idiot.  There's a blue spot you stand on and it shows you some glowy jewel thing that you can lock onto but can't shoot.  What the hell?  I guess I'm missing something obvious.

Edit: Ah, figured it out thanks to Calvin.  Lock-on and press B.  Could've sworn I did that, but I guess not.

I thought it told you that in a pop up once you get the power that lets you do that.  has anyone made it to the end of the first demo level?  I got to just after I lowered the bridge (or whatever that was) by shooting the controls before time ran out.

Because I can,
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2008, 09:01:02 PM »

Dl'd and played the demo today.  I've never played a DMC game before.  So far, it's pretty.  But I found it boring and repetitive.  I don't normally get into hack n' slash games.  But it seems this game has quite the following, so maybe it just hasn't clicked with me yet.  I"m going to give the demo another few tries and see if it grows on me.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: