http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 05:59:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Devil May Cry 3 may be the real deal!  (Read 3727 times)
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: February 26, 2005, 06:19:43 PM »

IGN Review (9.6)

The only thing I am hesitant about is that Jeremy Durham likes to trap himself into cliches and overgushing on many of his reviews.  His review could be spot on with DMC3, but I would be careful taking sole interest in just his review.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 07:33:30 PM »

I saw Game Informer's reveiw that said it was harder than hell but a great game, and I immediately knew I'm not getting this.  I play games to have fun, not to prove how 1337 my skillz are.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 08:23:37 PM »

It seems to me that maybe the franchise took a "Ninja Gaiden" kind of approach with the third installment, kind of rewarding players that spend time to learn the systems and having it be a harder game.

I'm, for one, kind of excited about it!  Looks pretty good!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 08:31:50 PM »

Uh-oh. If it's any harder than the first, I'm out of here. I still to this day can't beat that spider thing in the first game. It's the very first boss, no less!
O.DOGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 11:20:41 PM »

Quote from: "Raven VII"
Uh-oh. If it's any harder than the first, I'm out of here. I still to this day can't beat that spider thing in the first game. It's the very first boss, no less!

Same here. Well, I beat HIM but I'm stuck on one of the later bosses, and if this game is any harder  that would be absurd. I'll finish it some day but... I don't know. I don't think I'll be getting this one (DMC3).

My smile still stays on.
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2005, 12:25:22 AM »

Getting it. Though not immediately.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2005, 01:22:39 AM »

I have no problem with them making a challenging game.
However, as I am a 44-year-old gamer, and not "a robot with superhuman reflexes" I will probably have to pass on this one. :cry:

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2005, 01:58:47 AM »

However, as I am a 44-year-old gamer, and not "a robot with superhuman reflexes" I will probably have to pass on this one.

a decade older (& slower) here, but i'll probably check it out. i find if a game like this is interesting enough, story-wise, i'll usually (barely) come up with the necessary skills required (if i got almost all the way thru the first one before quitting, it was mainly because i'd just plain lost interest. dante was cool'n'all, but... well, so what?...)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2005, 02:25:38 AM »

If I may be rude: Fuck this shit. Devil May Cry, was brilliant. Challenging yet doable, full of flash and style, a likeable character, and great gameplay. Yes, I only gave the second game two hours before returning it, but that seemed to be the consensus.

Now, they are modelling the game after a style that I absolutely hated with a passion (Ninja Gaiden), yet making it even MORE difficult than that title. As an extremely experienced gamer, that will still make the game incredibly hard, and provide what I am sure will be 20 hours of utter frustration and repetition in a 10 hour game. There are very very few games that are difficult because they require more skill-they are difficult for the sake of difficulty-excessive damage, bad camera angles, stupid jumping puzzles, clunky controls, combo intensive gameplay that is difficult to pull off, etc. Ninja Gaiden was one such game-this sounds like that to the extreme.

My 50 dollars is going to another product-thanks for ruining another sequel.
RamPanther
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2005, 03:54:53 AM »

I agree. I have no tolerance for games of that frustration level. At the very least, make 2 difficulty levels- normal and berserk.
Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2005, 05:44:04 AM »

Does Dante put his shirt back on for this one?
warning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2005, 06:25:32 AM »

I liked the combat in the first (I only played about 3-4 hours) but I grew tired of backtrack here... find the key hidden here.... backtrack there....

As for this version the fact that the reviewer states "In other words, it's the single best PS2 game that Capcom had made so far" says enough for me.

I'm still pining for a PS2 version of Powerstone 2 or even (God forbid!) a Powerstone 3.  That would be the single best PS2 Capcom game.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2005, 07:28:48 AM »

Do the reviews mention what level of difficulty the reviewers are playing at?  There are supposed to be 5 levels.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2005, 08:11:10 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
I'm still pining for a PS2 version of Powerstone 2 or even (God forbid!) a Powerstone 3.  That would be the single best PS2 Capcom game.
Isn't Iron Phoenix (xbox) inspired by Powerstone.  It's from Sammy who loves competing with Capcom.  I realize it's not PS2, but it is for Live which could be quite fun if a group from here got together.

Back on topic, I'm not going to rush out and buy an impossible game right now.  I'll happily pick it up in a trade later or buy it after a price drop.  I had heard that some of the play styles were supposed to make gameplay easier.  In other words, if you want it really hard, play Style Z. You'll be rewarded with the coolest moves, but you need the mad reflexes to pull it off.  Other styles have easier but fewer combos presumably making the challenge easier.

I have to say that making the save system less user friendly sounds like one of the worst game design decisions in recent history.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2005, 08:49:35 AM »

According to a thread on Gaming-Age, a major part of the ludicrous difficulty of DMC 3 is a fairly borked save system that has actually been made less user friendly than the Japanese Edition.  

Evidently the boss battles are incredibly difficult (not necessarily too bad in of itself) but the frustration comes when you run out of lives on them so rapidly that you are forced to restart the entire level just to get back to the boss.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2005, 11:25:31 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
According to a thread on Gaming-Age, a major part of the ludicrous difficulty of DMC 3 is a fairly borked save system that has actually been made less user friendly than the Japanese Edition.  

Evidently the boss battles are incredibly difficult (not necessarily too bad in of itself) but the frustration comes when you run out of lives on them so rapidly that you are forced to restart the entire level just to get back to the boss.

Okay after reading that I take back what I said earlier.  That sounds absolutely horrendous.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2005, 12:48:51 PM »

My interest is quickly depleting.  On to God of War.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2005, 03:09:22 PM »

There are very very few games that are difficult because they require more skill-they are difficult for the sake of difficulty-excessive damage, bad camera angles, stupid jumping puzzles, clunky controls, combo intensive gameplay that is difficult to pull off, etc.

great, great observation...

i hate it when that happens...

thank you all for doing your best to kill my interest in this title smile . i'll probably still give it a shot, tho it's starting to feel like i've (again) made a wrong turn on the road to gaming nirvana...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2005, 04:49:14 PM »

-1 Sale

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2005, 05:49:29 PM »

okay,... this review, on 1up, kills it for me...

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2005, 06:06:45 PM »

Quote from: "depward"

Okay after reading that I take back what I said earlier.  That sounds absolutely horrendous.

That sounds similar to the first game... I never got past the scissor boss because I always took so long to get back to him after I died.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2005, 06:45:49 PM »

Hmmm...may have to rent first before buying.  The first game was pretty hard early on, maybe they were trying to duplicate that in this game.  The first boss in DMC (the spider) is easily one of the harder bosses in the game.

angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2005, 07:16:40 PM »

I played it for about an hour this morning and my inital impression is that the reviews are complete and utter bullshit.

I've played through the first 2 levels and here are my thoughts -

The game is no harder than the first devil may cry.

You can't just run into a group of enemies, mash some buttons, and hope to survive. This is no different than the first game.

If you are finding youself  having trouble with getting hit too much, make sure you select the Trickster style (it is selected by default). Pressing the circle button along with the analogue stick will make you dash away to safety.

After you die a few times, the game gives you the chance to switch to an easier difficulty. This was present in the first DMC and I died a few times on purpose to check it out.

This isn't to say the game is easy and I am sure the challenge will increase the further you progress. However, every review I have seen basically says ZOMG!! HARD HARD HARD! right from the start and I don't really feel thats the case.

The difficulty ruined the second DMC, I am glad capcom went back to what made the original so enjoyable. That being said, if you didn't enjoy DMC 1, I doubt there is much here to change your mind.

I think the game is at least worth a rental for the opening cut scene. I don't think I've ever seen a slow mo bullet time shot of a dude eating pizza then proceding to kill half a dozen demons while continuing to chow down. I laughed my ass off.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2005, 07:19:20 PM »

also have to share this quote from the (positive) 'playstation magazine' review

"Still, Dante will die quite a bit, but it's never really frustrating, because during each fight, whether it's against a boss or in a particularly tricky spot in a level, you discover a new weakness and adapt your strategy and fighting style accordingly."

to say this, & fail to mention the necessity of restarting the whole level each time this happens, is just plain poor/deceptive writing - just because it (obviously) doesn't bother the reviewer personally isn't a satisfactory reason to not point it out...

hopefully, someday, the true story of why they designed this game as they did, then compounded it by messing with the western version, will be revealed, cuz right now, to me anyway, it looks like a pretty basic version of just plain screwing the pooch...

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2005, 07:23:10 PM »

The game is no harder than the first devil may cry.

crap! - now i'm all confused again smile ! (didn't see this post til i'd posted)...

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2005, 07:29:01 PM »

Quote from: "angrycoder"
The difficulty ruined the second DMC, I am glad capcom went back to what made the original so enjoyable. That being said, if you didn't enjoy DMC 1, I doubt there is much here to change your mind.

Hmmm...I found DMC2 to be far easier than DMC.  One of the biggest problems (outside of the fact the game sucked donkey balls and was made by a totally different team with no idea what made DMC great) was that the enemies attacked from off-camera and you wouldn't know where they were coming from.

Anyway, I'm willing to try this game since it is the original team again.  And like I said, maybe they are trying to duplicate the difficulty of the early on stages in DMC here in DMC3.

angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2005, 07:30:43 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"

Hmmm...I found DMC2 to be far easier than DMC.  

Thats what I meant, sorry if my point wasn't clear. DMC2 was much easier than the first game and it was one of the main things that ruined the game for me.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2005, 07:36:49 PM »

"to say this, & fail to mention the necessity of restarting the whole level each time this happens, is just plain poor/deceptive writing"
According to the Gamespot review, you can buy an item that lets you restart mid-level if you die.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2005, 07:39:09 PM »

Here is a review you guys might not have read - it doesn't blather on endlesly regarding the difficulty. It is based on the japanese version of the game.

http://www.ntsc-uk.com/review.php?platform=ps2&game=DevilMayCry3
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2005, 08:57:46 PM »

Here is a review you guys might not have read - it doesn't blather on endlesly regarding the difficulty. It is based on the japanese version of the game.

http://www.ntsc-uk.com/review.php?platform=ps2&game=DevilMayCry3

The Japanese version is supposedly considerably easier.  When the first American reviews hit there was some initial confusion with those who had played the Japanese version since the American Press reaction was so subdued until it became clear how Capcom had changed the difficulties.

What isn't clear to me yet- is the American "Easy" difficulty the same as the Japanese "Normal" (ie does it actually alter the save system)?

*EDIT* Oh wow- I just read something interesting.  Evidently Capcom sent reviewers a memory card with all of the levels and orbs unlocked.  May explain why there is some disparity in some of the reviews (*cough* IGN *cough*).
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2005, 09:20:55 PM »

*EDIT* Oh wow- I just read something interesting. Evidently Capcom sent reviewers a memory card with all of the levels and orbs unlocked. May explain why there is some disparity in some of the reviews (*cough* IGN *cough*).

one more reason i give as much/more credibility to what someone up here (like angrycoder) says than what pretty much any of the 'reviewers' say...

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2005, 09:29:53 PM »

Quote from: "semiconscious"
*EDIT* Oh wow- I just read something interesting. Evidently Capcom sent reviewers a memory card with all of the levels and orbs unlocked. May explain why there is some disparity in some of the reviews (*cough* IGN *cough*).

one more reason i give as much/more credibility to what someone up here (like angrycoder) says than what pretty much any of the 'reviewers' say...

I'm hurt slywink

Seriously though, I've never gotten an extra thing that shows off everything in a game that I've reviewed before.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2005, 11:26:06 PM »

I'm hurt

need i say it? - 'up here' -type reviewers exempted (until they do start getting 'extra things', anyway smile )...

& (seriously, as well), cg is a great & valuable resource, especially for a casual gamer, which's why i love coming here...

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2005, 12:19:36 AM »

I know, hence the winky

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2005, 04:02:33 PM »

&, on the subject of reviews, i'm not sure they ever get better than this...

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2005, 04:38:40 PM »

final words on the subject...

my dinner with dante

(warning: if $50 for 10-20 hours of cheezy fun sounds steep/ridiculous, either consider a rental or do not read further)

so i get the game, get trashed into easy mode on level 2, go to codejunkies, load up on red orbs & max out the size of the health meter (hey, if it's good enough for certain reviewers, it's good enough for me), & here's what i have:

dmc3 is the gaming equivalent of the 'big-budget b-movie' (you know, 'independence day', 'starship troopers' - movies that combine roger corman -type scripts/sensibilities with steven spielberg -type effects/production). everything's waaay over-the-top, consistently campy, & amazingly slick, & all in a very enjoyable way (this incarnation of dante's easily my favorite of the 3). i've always been a sucker for this kinda thing (even the low-budget versions), & dmc3 definitely nails it...

which, to my mind, makes it an even greater shame that they chose to make it as, well, 'un-user-friendly' as they did - because (without all these orbs, anyway) it most definitely is (to the point of cheaply so at times)...

anyway, i guess what i'm saying is a) if you can afford it & b) if a little bit of cheating won't cause irreparable harm to your sense of self-esteem, deep personal shame, or an inability to continue to function as a contributing member of society, dmc3's well worth checking out - hyper-kinetic gothic goofiness doesn't get more grandiose than this...

& one last thing: somewhere, among the great bald-faced whoppers of all time, there is surely room for this one (courtesy of ign):

"Speaking of the visuals, one of my initial concerns with Devil May Cry 3 was that it would suffer from the same 'invisible enemy' syndrome that plagued the second game. That is, I was afraid that Dante would be nailed by creatures off-screen before I even knew they were coming. Luckily that problem has been fixed almost entirely thanks to a brand new moveable camera system."

the italics are mine...

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2005, 06:05:28 AM »

I've only played the first two levels of the game.  Haven't died yet, so that's a plus!

Cinematics are awesome.  Graphics are the best in the series, as is the music.  It is hard, and intense.  But fun!  It does help if you've played either game in the series, especially the original, beforehand though.  You have to jump and dodge a LOT to be successful.

Mike

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: