http://gamingtrend.com
October 24, 2014, 03:56:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Devil May Cry 3!!!  (Read 3492 times)
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2004, 08:33:16 PM »

I have nothing new to add, but I'm still (cautiously) euphoric and need to ramble.  I mean, it's Capcom, so I never doubted there would be a sequel, but still.  It's nice that when the word came along there was so much to show with it.

And I'm in the camp that likes the new Dante look.  I mean, he's a female fanservice device in the first place.  Maybe the only one in existence.  Why not deck him out for the role?  I mean, it could be much worse.  He looked too stuffy in the rainman collar he had in the first one, and I didn't like the S&M waiter look he had going in the second.  Mad Max meets Calvin Klein will do fine by me.

I just read what I wrote and feel that I should probably stop now.  

Bring back Ifrit!

Join me or die!  Can you do any less?
Thin_J
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 11:45:18 PM »

Makes me wish I hadn't gotten rid of my PS2.

But only a little.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 12:31:31 PM »

I'm a little worried about it...love the first one and disliked the second.  If they can go back to the roots (and difficulty) of the first while adding new features and graphical upgrades then I'm in.  There is a big write up on it this month in PSM too (or was it the official PS magazine?).
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 01:53:09 PM »

When you find out what magazine it was, let me know.  I have a commute and a serious case of fanboyitis that call for documentation.  

Yes, I'm guardedly optimistic as well.  DMC2 was a disaster.  Time will tell.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 02:04:33 PM »

Quote from: "aledromo"
DMC2 was a disaster.

Quite possibly the worst $50 I've ever spent in my over 20 years of gaming.  I believe if the original team is on this one that they won't do it wrong like that other team did.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2004, 02:21:52 PM »

The article's in PSM.

Also, I never tried DMC2. I pre-ordered it, got the package in Fedex, read some reviews on GoneGold, and sent the package right back to EBGames unopened. I'll probably purchase the game one of these days, when it's below $10, just to see how bad it really was.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2004, 03:46:30 PM »

If they had called it anything else, it would likely have gotten about a C+ as an action game and been unceremoniously forgotten.  But people were trained to expect responsive controls, compelling difficulty, thematic consistency, skill based gameplay and visual flair.  The game delivered none of this despite a perfect example of each feature existing in its very predecessor.  I'll not say it's the worst game I've ever played, but DMC2 is the worst gaming experience I've ever had.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2004, 04:27:56 PM »

Quote from: "Fellow"
Also, I never tried DMC2. I pre-ordered it, got the package in Fedex, read some reviews on GoneGold, and sent the package right back to EBGames unopened. I'll probably purchase the game one of these days, when it's below $10, just to see how bad it really was.

Must have read my review the day of release (EB in my area got it the day before).

aledromo forgot to mention that there is no coherant plot in the game either.  At least DMC1 had a story I could understand.

ericb

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2004, 04:16:19 PM »

Yep, PSM had the article...around 5 pages with the screenshots.  Some highlights from the articles:

Some levels have multiple bosses, some have none
Your character will be customized to a point by how you upgrade...sword master, gunslinger, etc
You will have the ability to assume demon form at some point
Newer engine, better AI, more story driven, more backstory
Possible love interest/playable female character

After reading this I actually have some interest in it again.  I'm still going to wait for a bunch of reviews but I can eventually convince myself this is the true sequel and that DMC2 never happened.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2004, 07:07:15 PM »

Then you must not have spent $50 on "Enter the Matrix" like I did. Forever more will I want to lynch the Wachowski (former) Brothers.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2004, 07:20:56 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Then you must not have spent $50 on "Enter the Matrix" like I did. Forever more will I want to lynch the Wachowski (former) Brothers.

I can say with certainty that DMC2 was the worse waste of the $50.  I knew Enter the Matrix was going to suck because it didn't get enough development time (it HAD to be out at the time of Reloaded) and was done by Shiny who had been very quiet on the gaming front for years.

DMC2 was to continue the greatness of DMC, but it failed miserably.  Luckily I didn't spend $50 on Enter the Matrix or I'm sure I would be in the same boat as you on this biggrin

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2004, 07:27:04 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Quote from: "whiteboyskim"

I can say with certainty that DMC2 was the worse waste of the $50.  I knew Enter the Matrix was going to suck because it didn't get enough development time (it HAD to be out at the time of Reloaded) and was done by Shiny who had been very quiet on the gaming front for years.

DMC2 was to continue the greatness of DMC, but it failed miserably.  Luckily I didn't spend $50 on Enter the Matrix or I'm sure I would be in the same boat as you on this biggrin

Ahh... so it was the foreknowledge of suckage versus the expectations of continuing greatness... On that front I can see your point. I would, however, argue with the greatness of "Devil May Cry" due to it being a solid game, but way, way, way too far over the top camp at times. What made it worse was it seemed the devs were taking things seriously when Dante would scream out, "TRISH!!!!" I just busted a gut whenever he would do that. biggrin

Matrix... I'll admit I should have seen it coming. The game looked like a mountain of suck at E3 and it was right about to be released then.  Ahh well.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2004, 08:21:25 PM »

I chose to embrace the camp and found it in no way marred the superlative thrill of a grenade/rolling blaze/inferno combination on Nightmare's core.  If you choose to let the campy moments blur your view of a classic, then I say unto you: Flock off!

ericb

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2004, 08:35:15 PM »

As the current lead post padder I would like to throw in my $.02 as well.  I actually lucked out and managed to return the suck that was the Matrix.  BTW, Target has the PC version on clearance for like $10 if anyone wants to find out how bad it truly was.  I have to agree that if DMC2 didn't have the name it would have been a low C adventure that faded into nothingness long ago...but it disappointed so many people.  

So flock off DMC2 and Matrix  :twisted:
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: