http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 06:49:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Devil May Cry 2  (Read 1356 times)
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2004, 06:40:49 PM »

Hi all.

I think I'm the unofficial Dante fanboy here on the forums, but I wanted to speak for a moment to those of you who may have varying degrees of my sickness.

Were you completely disappointed with the monotonous drivel that was DMC2?  If so, I bring you Viewtiful Joe on the PS2.  The game itself is fun, very fun, and cute, very cute.  This on its own is no reason to call your attention today.  However as you may know, Dante is an unlockable character in the game.  Playing as Dante puts you through a slightly amended version of Joe's story.  You get all the same cutscenes, but the words have been changed to create a unique adventure for Dante.  

I'm here to tell you that this unique adventure is the real sequel to Devil May Cry.  Shinji Mikami is at the helm of this game, and not only does he seem to take great pride in reestablishing the reputation of his creation, he also seems to enjoy overtly making fun of/covering up for the embarrassment of the "official" DMC2.  This one is laced with references to the series in general and even answers a few questions from the first game.  The game itself, though it looks very different from the gothic stylings of the other franchise, also carries the standard of fast paced stylish action that harkens back to the old days of Mallet Island.  It feels so right.

Seriously.  It's a $30 dollar game and about 6 hours on the easiest setting to unlock Dante.  If you care at all about the franchise or are just looking to pump yourself up for DMC3, I can't recommend this enough.  This isn't even getting into the other great things about the Viewtiful Joe aspect of the game.

Join me or die!  Can you do any less?
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2004, 09:21:46 PM »

Read my review of DMC2 to understand how much I hated it.  I believe my review kept a lot of people from picking the game or at least I hope it did.  I had the review out on the day most people would get it.  Worst $50 I've ever spent and the beginning of me relying on renting more than buying (which I'm glad I did with Fable...that is several levels of suck as well).

I played Viewtiful Joe on the Cube, so I know what you're talking about.  I liked it a lot, but it is a very hard game...I have no clue how much they toned down the difficulty on the PS2 version, if any.

I also hold out hope that DMC3 (now scheduled for next year) will be a far better game than DMC2.  Chances are it will be since most of the same team is behind it that was behind the first one (the 2nd one was by a totally different team...coincidence of why it sucked?  I think not).

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2004, 11:37:03 PM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Read my review of DMC2 to understand how much I hated it.  I believe my review kept a lot of people from picking the game or at least I hope it did.  I had the review out on the day most people would get it.  Worst $50 I've ever spent and the beginning of me relying on renting more than buying (which I'm glad I did with Fable...that is several levels of suck as well).

Personally I'm enjoying Fable right now. Then again, I'm only about an hour or so into the game.

As far as DMC2 goes, it's regarded as one of the worst video game sequels ever. Sad, no?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2004, 11:53:02 PM »

On another thread I think I mentioned that there is a new difficulty level for the PS2 version that is even easier than what was passed off as easy on the Cube.  It's quite playable and manages to even be challenging at times; in a normal game, it would probably be a normal mode, with the others being hard, harder, and way too hard.

I really enjoyed VJ.  Anyone want me to do a review for the site?

Join me or die!  Can you do any less?
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2004, 02:09:42 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Personally I'm enjoying Fable right now. Then again, I'm only about an hour or so into the game.

You're still in the honeymoon stage, soon you will see the light.

Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2004, 09:16:42 PM »

Hmm..  To each his own, I guess.  I've put at least 8 hours into Fable, and I'm still really enjoying it.  It's not particularly groundbreaking, but it is a solid 1-player action RPG.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2004, 11:20:16 PM »

Quote from: "Balshazaar"
Hmm..  To each his own, I guess.  I've put at least 8 hours into Fable, and I'm still really enjoying it.  It's not particularly groundbreaking, but it is a solid 1-player action RPG.

Your right, everyone has opinions biggrin

I put 8 hours into Fable...and beat it.  I did quite a few side quests, but I did not do them all.  Once I got to the end the immediate reaction was, "It took 4 years to make this?"  Of course that's once the credits that go on forever are done...heh.

I'm glad you like it, although I would not recommend it to anyone for $50.  There are better 1-player action RPGs out there than this.  Once again, my opinion.

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2004, 03:01:40 AM »

The interesting thing about Peter Molyneux's games is that they all start off really well. There's almost always a really positive outlook in the beginning, and thoughts of amazement on how expansive his gameworlds tend to be (Dungeon Keepers, Black & White, etc.), how many options there are, so on, and so forth. However, once the game has progressed to a certain point, things tend to take a drastic turn down, more so than you would normally experience in a game. It's almost from one extreme to the other.

So, maybe they also noticed this, and figured they'd make the game shorter so as to have the player keep his/her interest throughout the whole 8-12 hours it takes to complete it.

As with all Molyneux's titles, Fable also has some brilliant touches to it. I'll agree that the man is definitely on the right tracks, and he's pushing the right areas forward, but for whatever reason, his ideas only seem to get realized halfway in his games, and never go the full distance. Whether it's a technical limitation, or just simple short-sightedness, I couldn't say. But, for what it's worth, I did enjoy Fable. And it certainly didn't leave me with a bad taste in my mouth like Black & White did.

...It was really short, though. Damn.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Balshazaar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2004, 04:22:21 AM »

I think that he gets so caught up in details superfluous to a good game that he doesn't ever make a forest out of his trees. With all of the same pieces, Fable could have been a much better game. They were never assembled into a sum equal to more than the combined parts.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: