http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 03:35:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Developer troubles with PS3?  (Read 1067 times)
Kobra
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2006, 02:08:53 AM »

A friends relative works for a game development studio, and reports some BAD news regarding Sony and the PS3 (in regards to their games).  I can't name the studio, nor the games, nor the people, but they dropped all development plans for the PS3, and shifted entirely over to the Xbox360.  Heres what he sent to me.

The main problems for them have been with Sony’s complete lack of support for developers. They were given the opportunity to do their games on the PS3 which they took but then Sony never delivered on there side. For example they had the development hardware but no controllers and Sony was very late handing over controllers, but no drivers and all games have to use Sony provided drivers. So development had to once again be halted. Then they were told not to wait for the PS3 bits and continue developing it using pc’s in the meantime.  It got so bad that they pulled out from the PS3 showed the games to a few Xbox360 distributors and got snapped up for the 360 and PC markets the next day.

I wonder if this is systemic with Sony, or just an isolated incident at once development studio?

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 03:26:38 AM »

Well I don't know about lack of support but the PS2 was apparently always a pain to use for developers.  It didn't stop them from making great games though.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 03:39:09 AM »

Developers have already been complaing how hard it is to do stuff for the PS3 and that the 360 is much easier to program for.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 04:22:04 AM »

Tell 'em to toughen up and get to work!!

Sounds like Lockdown with all that bitchin'!!

:slywink:

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 04:29:23 AM »

I think it is alot easier to put up with difficult to use dev tools and low quality support when you are developing for a huge install base on the PS2.  The PS3 may not have that advantage for a while, if ever.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 07:06:38 PM »

I've heard from several developers that they had issues with the SDK updates coming in veeeery late, especially for online stuff.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 12:37:06 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 09, 2006, 03:39:09 AM

Developers have already been complaing how hard it is to do stuff for the PS3 and that the 360 is much easier to program for.

They had the same complaints about the PS2, but they've managed to put out some incredible stuff once they got to know the system (for example, God of War).
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 02:58:18 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on November 09, 2006, 07:06:38 PM

I've heard from several developers that they had issues with the SDK updates coming in veeeery late, especially for online stuff.

For example, why Tony Hawk 8 for the PS3 has no online component. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 03:19:18 AM »

I think it will be an issue now, but if PS3 gets any kind of user base the PS2 had they will be fine with the "issues"... then again Sega saying that they are going to focus on Wii versus PS3 was an announcement I didn't expect to hear. I really think with the budgets getting bigger and bigger the wii becomes a more interesting option for developers and publishers because they can spend a lot less money and have a good chance at being more profitable.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 04:05:09 AM »

Quote from: Tebunker on November 10, 2006, 03:19:18 AM

I think it will be an issue now, but if PS3 gets any kind of user base the PS2 had they will be fine with the "issues"... then again Sega saying that they are going to focus on Wii versus PS3 was an announcement I didn't expect to hear. I really think with the budgets getting bigger and bigger the wii becomes a more interesting option for developers and publishers because they can spend a lot less money and have a good chance at being more profitable.

Maybe Sega finally got a clue after last gen where they ignored the Cube for the most part, despite it being the home of their highest selling titles, and seemed to put a lot of effort into the Xbox where pretty much every single thing they put out bombed in a horrifying manor. 
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 04:50:03 AM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on November 10, 2006, 12:37:06 AM

They had the same complaints about the PS2, but they've managed to put out some incredible stuff once they got to know the system (for example, God of War).

Wasn't God of War done in house?

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2006, 05:13:16 AM »

Quote from: pr0ner on November 10, 2006, 04:50:03 AM

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on November 10, 2006, 12:37:06 AM

Wasn't God of War done in house?

Santa Monica studio, so yeah, but I don't think in-house makes it easier so much as it just makes it so they can't be as vocal complaining about the hardware. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2006, 06:17:48 AM »

yeah great games for the ps2,but imagine what could of been achieved if it was easier,i say if its gonna show on the games then stick to the console which is easier

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: