http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 06:12:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deus Ex, Snowblind, Warren Spector, Ion Storm, and Eidos...  (Read 2421 times)
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2004, 07:09:53 PM »

How's THAT for a topic subject?

The thing that made me want to post this is the current story in Xbox Nation that the rumored FPS version of Deus Ex is officially a "go".

Evidently, the game was once going to be called "Deus Ex: Clan Wars" and now it is just called "Snowblind".  WTF?!  Apparently, DEIW sold sooooooo bad (which I don't understand at all) that they have totally dropped "Deus Ex" out of the name entirely.

I have to wonder how much of this played into Warren and most of his staff leaving?  Honestly, can you imagine Warren stomaching a version of Deus Ex that was totally stripped of the RPG-ness?

This is all really strange and I see my beloved Deus Ex franchise getting raped and stomped on by all this crapola.  I hope Warren is able to hit the ground running and carry on the beloved Deus Ex franchise that we all know and love.
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 07:19:22 PM »

I personally liked DE: IW, but I also realize that MANY people did not like it and that is probably why it sold bad.  I expect Thief to sell rather badly as well, even though it is probably an excellent game.  There's been a bunch of excellent games that have sold badly, like:

Sam and Max: Freelance Police
Grim Fandango
System Shock 2

As for the action Deus Ex game, Spector had talked about that before the rumor of his firing came about...so the idea was there before.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 08:48:27 PM »

Snowblind ihas nothing to do with Deus Ex.  Looks like Xbox Nation is wrong on that one.  Not unless they jerked the game away from the Crystal Dynamics and handed it to Ion Storm.    Anyway, this is straight from the developer and confirmed by the publisher.  

Xbox Nation should hit our Database and they would have seen that. slywink

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 04:04:01 AM »

Once again DD misquotes and mis-reads XBN, they say that it was possibly, could've been, might have been, rumored to have been the DX Shooter... Something to that effect. But as other threads have shown DD definately takes stuff way out of context...

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 11:39:11 PM »

From the July 2004 issue of Xbox Nation, page 30:

"More dark-future thrills were to be had with Eidos' reworked Deus Ex: Clan Wars, now called Snowblind (the Deus Ex brand has been much devalued as of late, thanks to poor sales of Deus Ex: Invisible War), and its war-torn multiplayer environments impressed, particularly the use of shield generators to block enemy tanks and bots."

Tebunker is great.
Tebunker is a genius.
Tebunker is fair.
Tebunker worked on Morrowind.  Morrowind rulez!
I wub Tebunker.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004, 12:03:28 AM »

DD, is that kind of post really necessary?  It makes you sound like a child.  
You were complaining that you didn't want your kids to hear swearing in a video game but I'm wondering if it is you that are too immature for such language.

Whatever beef you have with Tebunker, perhaps you should take it to e-mail.

I would hope everybody involved in this baiting/pissing contest would cool off.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004, 12:21:56 AM »

Yes DD...I would suggest that you edit your reply so Tebunker's proper nickname is there instead of what is currently there.  And I have to agree with stiffler that you have taken a very childish attitude here on the forum.  Shape up and contribute to the conversations instead of stoking the fires.  You could have easily have presented what it says in Xbox Nation and left it at that instead of smushing Tebunker's face in it.  He cooled down in the other thread...maybe you should go the same course.

DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2004, 12:32:47 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
DD, is that kind of post really necessary?  It makes you sound like a child.  
You were complaining that you didn't want your kids to hear swearing in a video game but I'm wondering if it is you that are too immature for such language.

Whatever beef you have with Tebunker, perhaps you should take it to e-mail.

I would hope everybody involved in this baiting/pissing contest would cool off.

...and not a WORD about Tebunker?  That's outrageous!

Quote from: "Tebunker"
Once again DD misquotes and mis-reads XBN, they say that it was possibly, could've been, might have been, rumored to have been the DX Shooter... Something to that effect. But as other threads have shown DD definately takes stuff way out of context...
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2004, 12:33:18 AM »

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Yes DD...I would suggest that you edit your reply so Tebunker's proper nickname is there instead of what is currently there.  And I have to agree with stiffler that you have taken a very childish attitude here on the forum.  Shape up and contribute to the conversations instead of stoking the fires.  You could have easily have presented what it says in Xbox Nation and left it at that instead of smushing Tebunker's face in it.  He cooled down in the other thread...maybe you should go the same course.

Be consistent in your moderating and I'll change it.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2004, 12:39:40 AM »

There is no attack in what he said such as changing your nickname or goading you on.  I'm honing in on the attacks, if Tebunker came in here and attacked you back I'd come down on him just as hard.  I told everyone to cool it down in the other thread...you could have let whatever pulled your trigger in what Tebunker said here lay by the wayside and presented the text (as you did)...however you decided to go that extra step and change Tebunker's username AND deride him.  Sometimes it's smart to take the high road and let bygones be bygones.

You both like XBN...can't you all just get along?

DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2004, 12:44:15 AM »

...and I changed the Tebunker's name back. I agree, that was too much.

I am disappointed that the moderator's clearly let him attack me personally when the facts are obviously on my side.  Time and time again, he has come after me when the facts were clearly and obviously on my side and the moderators have done nothing.  Moderation must be consistent.  You have to have to a blind eye towards the forum posters you know well and the one's you don't.

...and for the record, he doesn't like XBN, he called it a stupid magazine or something similar in this or another thread.

Quote from: "AgtFox"
There is no attack in what he said such as changing your nickname or goading you on.  I'm honing in on the attacks, if Tebunker came in here and attacked you back I'd come down on him just as hard.  I told everyone to cool it down in the other thread...you could have let whatever pulled your trigger in what Tebunker said here lay by the wayside and presented the text (as you did)...however you decided to go that extra step and change Tebunker's username AND deride him.  Sometimes it's smart to take the high road and let bygones be bygones.

You both like XBN...can't you all just get along?
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2004, 12:57:24 AM »

Time and Time again? WTF

I busted your balls once, and was completely on the right in the last thread.

This time you got me, but it's not like I was going out and personally attacking you. You proved with the doom thread that you mis-read and mis-interpret things.

Right now it's looking like you can't realize when you make a mistake.

I can, you got me on this. I was pretty certain that they made a supposition on this one. I should've been more thorough and checked up on myself. I knew I was leaving myself open. I can admit when I make mistakes.

However, two threads, maybe two or three replies to you personally, does not count as time and time again.

I have no personal beef with you.

And for the record I love XBN, maybe you should look at my post history, for the thread Titled something like "XBN is the best xbox mag period!"

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2004, 12:59:41 AM »

Fine. Let's let it die.

...and like I said before, Morrowind is one of the greatest games EVER made.  Ever!

Time and Time again? WTF

I busted your balls once, and was completely on the right in the last thread.

This time you got me, but it's not like I was going out and personally attacking you. You proved with the doom thread that you mis-read and mis-interpret things.

Right now it's looking like you can't realize when you make a mistake.

I can, you got me on this. I was pretty certain that they made a supposition on this one. I should've been more thorough and checked up on myself. I knew I was leaving myself open. I can admit when I make mistakes.

However, two threads, maybe two or three replies to you personally, does not count as time and time again.

I have no personal beef with you.

And for the record I love XBN, maybe you should look at my post history, for the thread Titled something like "XBN is the best xbox mag period!"
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2004, 01:01:44 AM »

I'm locking this thread.  You can start up a new one if you want this subject continued (on the new Deus Ex game that doesn't have the Deus Ex name on it).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: