http://gamingtrend.com
August 27, 2014, 07:30:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Impressions and stuff! [Official Review too!]  (Read 20157 times)
Grimwar
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: September 13, 2011, 10:22:07 AM »

Maybe so.  It did seem odd I could just run around willy nilly on the last stage and no one would attack me, just yell at me then go about their business. If it is a bug, that is one hell of a game breaker.  If they had attacked me it would have been a lot more interesting.

Spoiler for Hiden:
If the last fight was bugged, that is an even bigger game breaker.  All I did was hide behind a pillar when the guns activated then shot at her with the laser rifle for the hell of it.  Seems it worked.  I read up on the last boss fight afterwards and apparently a lot of people did the same thing.  So if it's a bug, it is a quite common one.

I guess I am being harsher than I should be.  Oh well, hopefully some of the other titles this year live up to the hype.  I know I am in the major minority, but Deus Ex was a huge bust for me.

Playing: Nothing really.  Bring on Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2.
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 13, 2011, 12:13:51 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 13, 2011, 08:04:11 AM

Also sounds like a bug, though I admittedly never really figured out that fight. The bad guy was protected against my attacks until I went through a series of actions around the room, at which point that protection went away. You should never have been able to deal damage from the start.

You're forgetting something there, TiLT: the laser rifle can shoot through walls. So that one's not a bug. He simply had the right weapon for the right situation and chose to use it (or already had it equipped by luck).

The not-being-attacked-by-the-crazies, though, sounds like a bug to me as well.

- Ash
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 13, 2011, 02:11:13 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 13, 2011, 08:04:11 AM

Quote from: Grimwar on September 12, 2011, 11:00:23 PM

The gameplay was fun, up until the final level.  It made so little sense to me.....

Spoiler for Hiden:
Not the way things went down in the story, but here I am, some fully augmented super human and I can just walk right through all of the mad men without firing a shot or incapacitating anyone.  They just ignored me, or ran to me then stopped and yelled at me. Shouldn't they have set up the level to test me more than previous parts had?

Sounds like you ran into a bug.
Spoiler for Hiden:
They are definitely supposed to attack. I found this part challenging because for once your enemies aren't spread out, which makes both attacking and sneaking past harder than usual.

that part was easy:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I used the combat rifle with iron sights for head shots combined with frag mines for the times they rushed me.  at one point I accidentally dropped a gas mine and was busy laughing as they all ran into the gas cloud and promptly fell asleep in a pile.  afterwards I dropped a frag mine on the pile, backed up and detonated it with the pistol, mopping up the survivors with a pistol shot to the head.

it would have ben easier had I a melee weapon, plus it took forever to go through and loot the corpses.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 15, 2011, 04:37:34 PM »

Has anyone encountered any Star Wars ads?

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/15/star-wars-ads-find-their-way-into-deus-ex-human-revolution-load/

Because I can,
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: September 15, 2011, 06:37:13 PM »

About mid way up my screen there is a honey-comb looking icon, with about 4 cells to it. In one of the cells it looks like a guy standing with an explosion coming out of his chest, and a number that changes at times below him. I can't figure out what this is representing. I've fired off the typhoon and it doesn't change the number. Anyone know?

Grace: Unmerited favor.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: September 15, 2011, 06:42:33 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on September 15, 2011, 06:37:13 PM

About mid way up my screen there is a honey-comb looking icon, with about 4 cells to it. In one of the cells it looks like a guy standing with an explosion coming out of his chest, and a number that changes at times below him. I can't figure out what this is representing. I've fired off the typhoon and it doesn't change the number. Anyone know?

those are the four powers that you can activate using F1-F4 (Typhoon, Vision, silent movement and cloak).  they are higlighted when active, and the counter should go down when you use the Typhoon.

Because I can,
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 15, 2011, 07:41:30 PM »

Makes sense, thanks bud.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #407 on: September 15, 2011, 08:14:55 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 15, 2011, 04:37:34 PM

That's fucking fucked up if true.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 17, 2011, 04:29:43 PM »

I'm stuck and I hope someone can help.  I've searched the web and I'm not seeing this problem with anyone else.

I just got out of Alice Pods after getting my credentials to the Tai Yong Medical Factory.  I'm supposed to take a shuttle to there.  Well I follow the waypoint to the shuttle station, the way point says i'm 1 m away, in front of me is a glass door that supposedly opens up when the shuttle arrives.  The problem never shows up.  I've pressed the E key to see if there's some sort of activation, nothing.  I've reloaded the game to a previous save and same problem.  This week there was a patch and I have a suspicion that's the cause.  That or it's user error and I'm missing something.

In the video I see, when you get to the window it will ask you if you are ready to move on.  I don't get that option.  I have no secondary quests, just this main one.

Any ideas?
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 17, 2011, 08:28:22 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 15, 2011, 08:14:55 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on September 15, 2011, 04:37:34 PM

That's fucking fucked up if true.

yup, shady as fuck from Square. Luckily I beat the game already so I won't be subjected to that bullshit. You can google how to turn them off, it's pretty easy. You basically set a folder to read only lol. I suggest everyone do this as a point of telling Square to fuck right off with this shit. It's a shame we got conned into supporting this. I would  never have bought it if that was there from day 1.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: September 17, 2011, 08:37:22 PM »

Really? Its that annoying to you guys? .............I could care less. I don't get influenced to buy stuff that I don't want. So its just letters on the screen to me. As long as it doesn't effect my gaming experience...........They can run ads for Kardashion Fashions Online for all I care...(not that I know about it, honest)

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 17, 2011, 08:47:18 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on September 17, 2011, 08:37:22 PM

Really? Its that annoying to you guys? .............I could care less. I don't get influenced to buy stuff that I don't want. So its just letters on the screen to me. As long as it doesn't effect my gaming experience...........They can run ads for Kardashion Fashions Online for all I care...(not that I know about it, honest)

Its the principle of what you are letting them get away with. I actually doubt very much its legal. While we only leasy the software (As per any game we buy), adding adds afterwards is not part of the agreement we entered into when buying the game.

In Denmark at least, use of Ads is highly regulated, and stuff like this? I'm pretty sure it won't go on for long.

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 17, 2011, 08:51:41 PM »

It doesn't bother me, but I could see it killing your immersion to see Darth Vader ads while running around future Detroit or Hung Dong (or whatever the Asian hub was called). I uninstalled it after finishing it so I can't check them out myself, but I wonder what I'll see on future playthroughs.

Because I can,
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #413 on: September 17, 2011, 08:54:01 PM »

Before anyone asks - I laughed at the Final Fantasy XXIII poster (or whatever it was exactly) that was in that one guy's office. Despite it being an ad in a way, it was there in jest, and as thus doesn't break any immersion.

But putting in ads for current games/whatever in a game that's a few decades in the future? Totally scummy.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 17, 2011, 09:34:22 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on September 17, 2011, 08:47:18 PM

Its the principle of what you are letting them get away with. I actually doubt very much its legal. While we only leasy the software (As per any game we buy), adding adds afterwards is not part of the agreement we entered into when buying the game.

In Denmark at least, use of Ads is highly regulated, and stuff like this? I'm pretty sure it won't go on for long.

Something always smells rotten in Denmark though  Roll Eyes
In reality we are inundated with ads all day long that we would rather do without. Ads that we didn't agree on reading on our way to work. Its the way of capitolism. It ain't going away. Sitting on subway trains I see ads for everything you can think of. Totally out of context for a train ride.  Roll Eyes

But to each his own...........have at her, down with corporate bullying...down with consumerism in the game place...down with Kardashion fashions online.............................................plonk!

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #415 on: September 17, 2011, 10:00:43 PM »

Quote from: Arclight on September 17, 2011, 09:34:22 PM

Something always smells rotten in Denmark though  Roll Eyes
In reality we are inundated with ads all day long that we would rather do without. Ads that we didn't agree on reading on our way to work. Its the way of capitolism. It ain't going away. Sitting on subway trains I see ads for everything you can think of. Totally out of context for a train ride.  Roll Eyes

But to each his own...........have at her, down with corporate bullying...down with consumerism in the game place...down with Kardashion fashions online.............................................plonk!

I don't know why this is so difficult for you to understand, but ads can destroy the immersion, and Deus Ex is to a large degree about immersion. There's nothing out of context about ads on a train ride, but it's extremely out of context with ads for real-life stuff when the game is taking place in the far future. It's not about not wanting ads. It's about not wanting ads that ruin the experience.

That, and nobody agreed to let them bombard us with ads for a full-priced commercial game. We already paid them, so please let us enjoy our product in peace.

Really? Its that annoying to you guys? .............I could care less.

Oh sorry, I guess I misunderstood you above. If you could care less, you must agree with us to some degree after all. (hint: the expression you're looking for is "I couldn't care less"). slywink
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 17, 2011, 10:03:21 PM »

So, you are just going to roll over and accept it? As I mentioned, we have strict laws regarding ads here, because they ARE intrusive, and believe it or not, they work. Countless studies shows this, and its the reason advertising is a billion dollar industry in every country. I should know, I work in the industry ;-) People always say "Ads don't work on me" and yet, they go out and buy the brands that spends millions on advertising, instead of those that are cheaper. Its brand building which you might translate into consciousness building, since what it really does, is influence your outlook on the world.

Btw - why the roll eyes at my post? Are you mad?

edit: and what Tilt said!

A new one
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 17, 2011, 11:21:49 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 17, 2011, 10:00:43 PM

Quote from: Arclight on September 17, 2011, 09:34:22 PM

Something always smells rotten in Denmark though  Roll Eyes
In reality we are inundated with ads all day long that we would rather do without. Ads that we didn't agree on reading on our way to work. Its the way of capitolism. It ain't going away. Sitting on subway trains I see ads for everything you can think of. Totally out of context for a train ride.  Roll Eyes

I don't know why this is so difficult for you to understand, but ads can destroy the immersion, and Deus Ex is to a large degree about immersion. There's nothing out of context about ads on a train ride, but it's extremely out of context with ads for real-life stuff when the game is taking place in the far future. It's not about not wanting ads. It's about not wanting ads that ruin the experience.

That, and nobody agreed to let them bombard us with ads for a full-priced commercial game. We already paid them, so please let us enjoy our product in peace.

Really? Its that annoying to you guys? .............I could care less.

Oh sorry, I guess I misunderstood you above. If you could care less, you must agree with us to some degree after all. (hint: the expression you're looking for is "I couldn't care less"). slywink

Seriously it ruins your iimmersion? Well, if that's true, and I have no reason to doubt you, I'm amazed again. Yeah, I could care less is what I meant to say. We always have room to care less than what we think.. retard

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 18, 2011, 01:59:43 AM »

Just noticed the Star Wars ad while playing tonight (finally finished the game at 32 hours).  While I can certainly understand why folks find it annoying, I'm hard pressed to get outraged over it.  If it was included in the actual game, I'd probably feel differently though.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 18, 2011, 08:11:07 AM »

because I already bought the product. if they wants ads make it free to pay. more to the point, they got my money already and it shows they are justified when they are not. it's fucking shady as fuck. why are you guys defending a multi-million dollar company like they are the second coming of jesus or something? this is why the industry is going to shit because people just roll over and take it in the ass. and this is why i will continue speaking how it is and calling shit, shit.

would you enjoy it during the middle of a blu ray an ad just randomly pops on your screen? because this is exactly what is happening with games now, apparently.

ps: it's i couldn't care less. pet peeve i see all the time, ugh.
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: September 18, 2011, 11:14:58 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on September 18, 2011, 08:11:07 AM

because I already bought the product. if they wants ads make it free to pay. more to the point, they got my money already and it shows they are justified when they are not. it's fucking shady as fuck. why are you guys defending a multi-million dollar company like they are the second coming of jesus or something? this is why the industry is going to shit because people just roll over and take it in the ass. and this is why i will continue speaking how it is and calling shit, shit.

would you enjoy it during the middle of a blu ray an ad just randomly pops on your screen? because this is exactly what is happening with games now, apparently.

ps: Its what I want it to be, I could care less. Is that ok with you big fella? its my pet peeve when know it all's insert the F word to make themselves sound like they know what they're talking about. So back in your cage tiger and watch your manners son.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 18, 2011, 11:52:48 AM »

Wow- were you always this hostile, Arclight? You come off as a bit of a jerk right now, you know?

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #422 on: September 18, 2011, 11:54:47 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on September 18, 2011, 11:14:58 AM

ps: Its what I want it to be, I could care less. Is that ok with you big fella? its my pet peeve when know it all's insert the F word to make themselves sound like they know what they're talking about. So back in your cage tiger and watch your manners son.

Since you insist... Couldn't care less. (thanks, Dictionary.com!) Pay particular attention to this part: 

15.  Couldn't care less,  a phrase used to express indifference, is sometimes heard as could care less,  which ought to mean the opposite but is intended to be synonymous with the former phrase. Both versions are common mainly in informal speech.

In other words, you're using the opposite definition of what you're intending to say and acting as if it's us who are mistaken about it. Then again, it's a common enough error to make that even a dictionary points it out, so you're not alone in using the wrong expression.

With that settled, let's get back to the actual topic, which is Deus Ex.
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 18, 2011, 11:59:32 AM »

Um, it's on a Loading screen. Maybe you've never watched a Blu-Ray or even a DVD before, but that's exactly what happens with almost every Blu-Ray out there: when you first put in the disc, before it loads your movie, you're forced to watch (or click-through) multiple trailers (i.e., ads) for movies other than the one you bought. And these are actually worse, because at least Deus Ex is loading your game WHILE the ad is on the screen, so your time-to-play isn't extended by the ad. With movie trailers, the disc doesn't even start loading your movie (or the movie's menu screen) until you've finished fast forwarding through the ads.

I'll be offended when they start putting non-sensical ads in the game, such as replacing the Eliza billboard in Detroit with one of Darth Vader. Page me when they do that. Until then, they can put whatever the hell they want on the loading screens.

- Ash
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 18, 2011, 02:23:32 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on September 18, 2011, 11:52:48 AM

Wow- were you always this hostile, Arclight? You come off as a bit of a jerk right now, you know?

To be fair, both sides aren't coming off very well.

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: September 18, 2011, 02:38:43 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on September 18, 2011, 02:23:32 PM

Quote from: Razgon on September 18, 2011, 11:52:48 AM

To be fair, both sides aren't coming off very well.

really? I'm not coming off well? I even have smileys in my posts, whereas someone else just uses rollye eyes.

A new one
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #426 on: September 25, 2011, 10:25:06 AM »

Playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution made me want to replay the original Deus Ex, so I gave it a try. Despite the clunky and sometimes outright broken game mechanics, I eventually got through the whole thing in far less time than the prequel. HR took about 35-36 hours. The original took me 24. Despite that, it felt like it was absolutely stuffed with filler material.

The non-lethal way to play the original is completely broken. The only weapon that produces any kind of reliable non-lethal result is the prod, and that one was very limited ammo. The second most useful such weapon is the baton, but its results are unpredictable. Hitting someone in the back of the head sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I often had to reload several times before it actually did what I wanted it to against each enemy. The crossbow... I don't even know what they were thinking when they designed this one. It's completely useless, at least with tranquilizer darts. When you hit an enemy, he's instantly aware of you and will either start shooting at you or run for an alarm. The tranquilizer itself takes ages to do anything useful. Attempting a non-lethal takedown with this weapon means you'll have half the enemies on the map shooting at you in moments. I eventually ended up going all-out lethal as the game encouraged this approach on every turn, from the abundance of lethal weapons and ammo to the way they give you an absolutely overpowered sword as part of the main plot. Once I got that sword, I barely used anything else. It killed most enemies in one or two hits, and was so fast that I could clear rooms of enemies with them barely hitting me. This might be different on the higher difficulty levels.

The game's villain would make a Bond villain blush. While he's cool in a way, his tendency to over-explain his plot to the protagonist while bragging about how he can't be stopped (despite the evidence to the contrary) makes him feel quite silly. I was just waiting for him to pull off the evil overlord laugh by the end and do a Dr Evil pose.

Dialogue was hit and miss. It felt a bit clinical most of the time, and had a tendency to get very disjointed. It was like each side in a discussion was talking about completely different things. A character would ask a question, and the other character would answer with something completely unrelated. This happened all the time and made some conversations hard to follow and made the NCPs less believable. The voiceovers were better than expected, with some obvious stinkers along the way and some very bad attempts at dialect.

Despite the way the game clumsily pushes you towards a specific playstyle (in a different way from how the prequel pushes you towards the stealth playstyle), I found myself completely absorbed in the whole thing. I'm not really sure why the game works as well as it does, but it just does. It's been quite a while since the last (and only) time I finished the game, so I had forgotten a lot of it, which meant that there was a lot of stuff that still felt fresh to me.

Now onto the sequel. Yes, I know the game mechanics were screwed up there and that the levels are far too small, but from what I hear the concepts of choice and story are very much alive and kicking in it. I never played it before, so I guess it's about time I gave it a shot. It's been in my Steam list for ages anyway.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 10:27:36 AM by TiLT » Logged
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: September 26, 2011, 06:13:53 PM »

Things I'd like to see in a sequel:

- No boss battles
- A wider variety of (useful) augmentations
- Smarter enemy AI (they weren't TOO bad in this game...but more than once I found myself uncloaking next to an enemy only to discover he couldn't be bothered to simply look down and notice the guy crouching at his feet)
- A better power cell system (it takes an entire energy cell to do a silent takedown?  what am i using for my cybernetic arms, AAA batteries?)
- Better inventory system (i can't count how many times I tried to activate something in my inventory only to realize I had picked up something else by accident afterwards.).
- More stealth paths than just air vents.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed every minute I spent in the game...other than the boss battles, that is...but everything has room for improvement.   icon_wink

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: September 26, 2011, 06:41:12 PM »

the DLC is supposed to have a better boss fight, since it is being done in house and not being outsourced.

nstead they were outsourced to little known studio Grip Entertainment.

Deus Ex's boss battles drew criticism for their frustrating difficulty spikes. They also focused on action gameplay when much of the game encouraged the player to use stealth skills.

In a video posted online, below, Grip boss Paul Kruszewski admitted creating the boss battles was a tough job - and that he didn't know much about the Deus Ex world before the project began.

seriously, WTF?

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #429 on: September 26, 2011, 07:33:53 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on September 26, 2011, 06:13:53 PM

- Better inventory system (i can't count how many times I tried to activate something in my inventory only to realize I had picked up something else by accident afterwards.).

This goes way beyond the inventory and affects every part of their GUI (it's particularly bad during hacking, when you'll end up accidentally using your limited hacking resources because of it). It's especially interesting to me since I struggled with the same kind of design issue when I designed a GUI for a game a few years ago. The issue comes from how GUI hit detection is done. The normal way to handle it is to only do hit detection when the mouse moves (because the routine is relatively expensive in terms of CPU cycles). The problem arises when the GUI itself moves and the mouse doesn't. When this happens, the interface doesn't know what you've highlighted and gets confused, often leaving the highlight on the last GUI element that you interacted with. You'd think it was an easy fix: Just make sure hit detection is done once every frame. However, that leads to a bunch of different potential problems that can be hard to track down. I know I myself considered that solution and eventually ditched it because having the bug was better than the alternative.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: October 07, 2011, 01:10:53 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 26, 2011, 06:41:12 PM

the DLC is supposed to have a better boss fight, since it is being done in house and not being outsourced.

Deus Ex's boss battles drew criticism for their frustrating difficulty spikes. They also focused on action gameplay when much of the game encouraged the player to use stealth skills.

In a video posted online, below, Grip boss Paul Kruszewski admitted creating the boss battles was a tough job - and that he didn't know much about the Deus Ex world before the project began.

seriously, WTF?

I know this is old and beat to death, but bejeebus... whomever decided that Deus Ex needed boss battles - especially outsourced ones - needs to be shot. I get very little play time lately and had been making great progress through the story in little chunks... until I hit the first boss. Gak. I supposedly know all of the things I should be doing but for whatever reason I haven't been able to make it past him yet. It seems you've got to do the whole grenade/exploding barrel/lather/rinse/repeat thing perfectly or you die. So... I've died, more times than I'd care to admit. I step away from the game for a couple of days, come back fresh and then die, die, die, die, quit. Farg.

All I have are EMP grenades, can I get past him with those?

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #431 on: October 07, 2011, 01:26:27 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on October 07, 2011, 01:10:53 PM

seriously, WTF?

I know this is old and beat to death, but bejeebus... whomever decided that Deus Ex needed boss battles - especially outsourced ones - needs to be shot. I get very little play time lately and had been making great progress through the story in little chunks... until I hit the first boss. Gak. I supposedly know all of the things I should be doing but for whatever reason I haven't been able to make it past him yet. It seems you've got to do the whole grenade/exploding barrel/lather/rinse/repeat thing perfectly or you die. So... I've died, more times than I'd care to admit. I step away from the game for a couple of days, come back fresh and then die, die, die, die, quit. Farg.

I got through that battle without using any of my own equipment (on the second or third try I think, on Normal difficulty), so you can get past him without the EMP grenades, and you don't need to do things perfectly.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: October 07, 2011, 01:46:59 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on October 07, 2011, 01:26:27 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on October 07, 2011, 01:10:53 PM

seriously, WTF?

I got through that battle without using any of my own equipment (on the second or third try I think, on Normal difficulty), so you can get past him without the EMP grenades, and you don't need to do things perfectly.

I know people managed this fairly easily, so was a bit surprised that it is stumping me like it is. For the 'perfectly' comment, was mostly referring to the barrels. Unless I'm missing something basic, you don't seem to have a fine degree of control over exactly where things go when you throw them (as opposed to Uncharted, let's say) and if they don't actually hit him then you've wasted that opportunity. Or I turn towards him with it in my hands and he shoots it. [sigh]

Maybe I'm just too focused on what I think I should be doing here. Can you spoil me here, TiLT? How did you manage this?

-craig

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #433 on: October 07, 2011, 01:57:29 PM »

IIRC, I ducked behind a pillar until he stopped his first burst of shooting, turned around and picked up an explosive cannister and tossed it at him. Tossed another one. Ran into the room to your far right when you begin the battle and took a breather. Picked up an explosive something-or-another which I can't recall the details of right now and tossed at him. I believe I either tossed another object or was about to when the fight ended. I didn't use any of my equipment and none of my augs. My first reaction was surprise that it turned out to be so easy.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: October 07, 2011, 04:28:22 PM »

You can also EMP grenade, barrel, EMP grenade, barrel, repeat until dead. I think the fire extinguishers on the wall also stun him.
Shinjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: October 07, 2011, 04:30:34 PM »

It took me many many tries as well.  I'm pretty sure the EMPs will stun him and then you can take some potshots at him.  Once he starts tossing the grenades, there seems to be a pretty predictable pattern where he doesn't change direction, tosses out a cluster in front, then ~45 degrees to either side, then 90 to either side, before he swivels to actually target you.  If I remember right, I took advantage of this and stunned him each time he tried to target me, then circle around and hit him with whatever I could.  I never found any of the stuff in the room (other than the barrels) until after I defeated him.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: October 08, 2011, 01:39:42 PM »

Well... not sure exactly how this all worked out but after another umpty tries last night was running around like a crazy person just barely staying ahead of him, chucking EMP grenades & explody barrels. Ducked into the far garage with the mine templates, put together a couple of frag mines and pitched them in his general direction. Was on my way to the other garage when up comes the cut-scene that ends the fight. Finally.  icon_smile

Onwards.

-craig

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 23, 2012, 07:42:12 PM »

Was there ever a consensus on whether the DLC ended up being worth it? It's on the Steam sale today, and I haven't even started the core game yet. Want to make sure there's some substance there (and hopefully a more interesting boss fight).

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #438 on: February 23, 2012, 09:35:06 PM »

Overall reviews of the DLC have been pretty positive. It's like an entire Deus Ex gameplay progression encapsulated in a little DLC. You start without any augs and quickly gain through the whole gamut of them before facing a boss that's appropriate the game.

I haven't played it, but every review says it's good.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: February 24, 2012, 02:05:47 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 23, 2012, 09:35:06 PM

Overall reviews of the DLC have been pretty positive. It's like an entire Deus Ex gameplay progression encapsulated in a little DLC. You start without any augs and quickly gain through the whole gamut of them before facing a boss that's appropriate the game.

I haven't played it, but every review says it's good.

It is pretty good. It also takes place towards the end of the main story. So make sure you play it at the right time. I know most reviews said the boss fight in the DLC was good, but I honestly found it to be lacking. Maybe I gimped it somehow, because I killed the final boss in two shots. Other than that it was a good DLC, you definately get more game for your money than you do with most DLC and the storyline in the DLC is pretty good.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: