http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 07:59:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Impressions and stuff! [Official Review too!]  (Read 20364 times)
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: August 25, 2011, 04:50:28 PM »

Quote from: ibdoomed on August 25, 2011, 04:38:34 PM

I did reload the pistols 10 round clip once and who knows what kind of accuracy I had. Everyone else has been a one headshot kill with the pistol so far. He never moved through 3 or 4 reloads from that one spot in the middle of the room. Had he stalked me like he did you, then I wouldn't have considered the battle pathetically simple but all I had to do was cover behind the concrete thing you spawn behind and do the up aiming between reloads.

Huh. Out of curiosity, which difficulty level are you playing on? I'm using the middle/standard/"give-me-a-challenge" one.

- Ash
rittchard
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: August 25, 2011, 06:35:41 PM »

Good news for me - disabling DirectX11 got rid of my bizarre shadows/graphics problems.

Bad news for me - I suck so bad at FPS games I couldn't even get past the first fight without dying, even on easiest mode  icon_frown
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: August 25, 2011, 06:41:32 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on August 25, 2011, 06:35:41 PM

Bad news for me - I suck so bad at FPS games I couldn't even get past the first fight without dying, even on easiest mode  icon_frown

Good news for you - you can avoid almost every fight in the game if you're careful and exploratory. smile I think someone even said skulking works to get you through the prologue, although I never tried that.

- Ash
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: August 25, 2011, 07:06:18 PM »

Quote from: Asharak on August 25, 2011, 04:50:28 PM

Quote from: ibdoomed on August 25, 2011, 04:38:34 PM

I did reload the pistols 10 round clip once and who knows what kind of accuracy I had. Everyone else has been a one headshot kill with the pistol so far. He never moved through 3 or 4 reloads from that one spot in the middle of the room. Had he stalked me like he did you, then I wouldn't have considered the battle pathetically simple but all I had to do was cover behind the concrete thing you spawn behind and do the up aiming between reloads.

Huh. Out of curiosity, which difficulty level are you playing on? I'm using the middle/standard/"give-me-a-challenge" one.

- Ash

I'm sure we're on the same difficulty, middle of the road.

Quote from: Asharak on August 25, 2011, 06:41:32 PM

Quote from: rittchard on August 25, 2011, 06:35:41 PM

Bad news for me - I suck so bad at FPS games I couldn't even get past the first fight without dying, even on easiest mode  icon_frown

Good news for you - you can avoid almost every fight in the game if you're careful and exploratory. smile I think someone even said skulking works to get you through the prologue, although I never tried that.

- Ash

This. I'm pretty sure I've only killed maybe 3 people (one being the boss) and I'm 20+ hours in.

EDIT:
Spoiler for Hiden:
4 people counting the guy I tossed off the roof in China.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: August 25, 2011, 07:16:54 PM »

I've left a wake of death, destruction and suffering so far.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: August 25, 2011, 07:20:36 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 25, 2011, 07:16:54 PM

... and that's just on GT.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #246 on: August 25, 2011, 07:29:21 PM »

I've done the same, although I was nice in the police station - knocked everyone out that was in my way and stuffed them into air vents. biggrin

I'm also finishing Detroit
Spoiler for Hiden:
(was just told to go home)
with $18k in cash and 37k experience. I think I'm doing everything I can do period just because I'm enjoying it so much.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: August 25, 2011, 07:32:49 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 25, 2011, 07:29:21 PM

I've done the same, although I was nice in the police station - knocked everyone out that was in my way and stuffed them into air vents. biggrin

I'm also finishing Detroit
Spoiler for Hiden:
(was just told to go home)
with $18k in cash and 37k experience. I think I'm doing everything I can do period just because I'm enjoying it so much.

$18k! Nice, is that after buying all the praxis points?

Quote from: Purge on August 25, 2011, 07:20:36 PM

... and that's just on GT.

LOL
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: August 25, 2011, 08:25:28 PM »

Can we keep the locations in the game in spoilers please?  I really don't want to know where Adam's adventures take him ahead of time.
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: August 25, 2011, 11:25:04 PM »

Quote from: skystride on August 25, 2011, 08:25:28 PM

Can we keep the locations in the game in spoilers please?

I'm sorry but I'm not going to comply with that unless you can supply an acceptable alternative way of referencing progress in the game so that we can talk about the game with others who have reached the same point. I thought location was a pretty good least-of-all-evils choice but if you've got a better one, please suggest it. I'm not going to start posting absolutely everything about the game in spoiler tags and I'm not going to start saying "Place 1, sub-zone 2" and hope people can deduce what I mean.

The names of the major hubs have been pretty well publicized in previews and reviews at this point, so I don't really accept that they're spoilers. If you're trying to come into the game from a pre-media blackout (which I can certainly respect) and maintain that for your playthrough, I would humbly suggest that an impressions thread is an inherently dangerous place to be. Or, alternatively, you can just ignore my posts until you finish the game, if you like. slywink

- Ash
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 25, 2011, 11:33:20 PM »

OK, just alt-tabbed out of the game to echo the sentiment going around: today's patch MASSIVELY improved the loading times for me. This is much better, and very much in line with "typical" zone loading times, which don't bother me at all.

Kudos, Eidos. Now please completely redesign that boss fight that I had to do last night and we'll be even cooler.

- Ash
ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 26, 2011, 12:46:28 AM »

Quote from: Asharak on August 25, 2011, 11:33:20 PM

OK, just alt-tabbed out of the game to echo the sentiment going around: today's patch MASSIVELY improved the loading times for me. This is much better, and very much in line with "typical" zone loading times, which don't bother me at all.

Kudos, Eidos. Now please completely redesign that boss fight that I had to do last night and we'll be even cooler.

- Ash

Huge improvement indeed, load times are 1/4 to 1/3 of what they were. I checked the official site and didn't see patch notes, did I miss them?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 26, 2011, 12:50:51 AM »

Quote from: ibdoomed on August 26, 2011, 12:46:28 AM

Huge improvement indeed, load times are 1/4 to 1/3 of what they were. I checked the official site and didn't see patch notes, did I miss them?

it's under the news tab on Steam:

This latest patch addresses:
A frequent issue for AMD/ATI hardware users that can cause the game to crash on startup.
Improvements to loading speed. The speed increase depends on machine spec and settings, but loading time improvements of over 50% have been measured on some machines.

Some control fixes:
Diagonal movement is no longer faster as intended.
Adjustments have been made to mouse sensitivity in response to user feedback.
Mouse sensitivity for X and Y axis can still be configured separately, but is now consistent when set to default settings.
The range of settings for mouse sensitivity has been adjusted to provide for more accurate adjusting.
The default mouse sensitivity has been altered to be somewhat less sensitive.

Because I can,
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 26, 2011, 04:34:52 AM »

I haven't seen massive improvements in load time, but its still better.  Someone on another board claimed that the patch mainly impacts people with SSD drives.

Meanwhile, I was just massively spoilered on another board and am not very happy about it.  That board has spoiler tags and people were using them, but this guy "forgot" and ended up spiling a couple of major plot points in his three sentence summary after completing the game.  He's fixed it since, but I can't go back in time on it.  mad

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: August 26, 2011, 04:50:25 AM »

Loading off my SSDs it is nearly twice as fast as it was.  Much more reasonable for a game like this that makes me all OCD.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: August 26, 2011, 05:48:12 AM »

My O/S is on an SSD but the game's not... still, seeing a quite noticable (and greatly appreciated) drop in load times.  thumbsup

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 26, 2011, 05:53:44 AM »

Sorry if this has been answered but is it better to use a 360 controller over mouse/keyboard?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 26, 2011, 06:13:02 AM »

I'm not sure there's a better, seems more like a personal preference. I tried both to see for myself and I think I'll be sticking with my 360 controller.

-craig

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 26, 2011, 08:33:02 AM »

yep, load times have definitely dropped  thumbsup

Because I can,
Asharak
Gaming Trend Reader

Elitist Ash-hole

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 26, 2011, 12:54:53 PM »

Cross posted from OO:

I don't have all that much to add from playing last night, since I only got in a couple hours or so. I got to explore the second hub a little bit and did a couple of simple quests (well, quest-steps, really).

- The general obtuseness of the civilian AI is rather glaring in this city. There are a bunch of little shops lining most of the streets (not actual merchants that Jensen can buy from, just corridor-flavor really) and some of them have a credit chip lying behind the counter or even a hackable safe. Even with the merchant standing just a couple feet away looking out into the street (presumably trying to encourage customers), you can pick up that chip or hack their safe with impunity. I think it's another of those callbacks to the original Deus Ex days of being able to pick up anything that isn't nailed down but it seems a little...backwards...for gaming sensibilities ten years on.

- Similarly, the XP rewards for exploring are a little kooky here. Most of those same shops have a door at the back that leads to a little closet. That's really all it is - a tiny little room with a bunch of shelves in which two people could barely stand side by side. Most of them have no useable items in them whatsoever; a few have a credit chip lying around for no apparent reason; all of them give you 100 XP for walking into them. Huh? I mean, I like the idea of rewarding the player for exploring but sticking my head in a bunch of linen closets hardly seems like something that would lead to personal growth. Being rewarded for finding a hidden path to somewhere makes sense; being rewarded for finding someone's extra rolls of toilet paper does not.

- That said, this city is beautifully designed from an architectural point of view. The city has about three vertical levels, it's big enough horizontally that it's split into multiple zones and each of those zones connect coherently to the others at multiple points. This is in addition to the same amount of environmental detail seen in the rest of the game. It's probably the most impressive bit of level design I've seen since Turbine's take on the mines of Moria in LOTRO, which comes to mind because of the similar focus on the vertical (although Moria traded intricate detail for vastness).

- Jensen has encountered a whorehouse in this city. It is refreshingly mature (Bioware: please take a hint about the proper use of that world) and pleasantly retro that, so far, there has been absolutely no possibility or intimation of future opportunity to sleep with any of the whores.

So, three days in, the game is still good. Is it the weekend yet?

- Ash
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 26, 2011, 01:49:54 PM »

Quote from: Asharak on August 25, 2011, 11:25:04 PM

The names of the major hubs have been pretty well publicized in previews and reviews at this point, so I don't really accept that they're spoilers. If you're trying to come into the game from a pre-media blackout (which I can certainly respect) and maintain that for your playthrough, I would humbly suggest that an impressions thread is an inherently dangerous place to be. Or, alternatively, you can just ignore my posts until you finish the game, if you like. slywink

I just saw one trailer for the game before playing the game, no previews or reviews.  I'd suggest a spoiler thread but it doesn't really matter, I think I'll just skip this thread until I'm close to done with the game.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 26, 2011, 02:11:50 PM »

about ym only complaint so far is Jensen's voice-  it feels like I'm playing Dirty Harry (which is funny because an NPC compared him to said character).  I keep on waiting for him to go 'make my day' or 'do you feel lucky, punk?'.

Because I can,
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 26, 2011, 07:53:18 PM »

Gamestop's "gutting" practice (removing the factory seal and then trying to sell it as brand new) is why I don't get new games there.. but that was expected with even their PC games. Removing something originally packaged with the game is a new low though and I'd hardly call that Square's fault. Gamestop should have sent them back to begin with if they didn't agree with it.

On a side note, anyone ever buy a "new" game from Gamestop, to find out it was the last copy, and they try to sell you the store display (with the hard to remove sticky price tag you can never get off all the way) at full price? Shouldn't that technically be considered an "open box" item and thus give you an open box discount? I've tried that with Gamestop and sometimes I was lucky but most times I get the "its brand new!" argument to which I state the fact how could it be brand new if you removed the manufacturer's seal and the contents from the case? Got tired of arguing with them over it that I just go there for used games now, which IMO, is all they sell anyway as there's no reason the "new" gutted games couldn't have been brought home by store employees to play anyway.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/08/26/gamestop-deus-ex-apology/

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 26, 2011, 10:45:46 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 26, 2011, 02:11:50 PM

about ym only complaint so far is Jensen's voice-  it feels like I'm playing Dirty Harry (which is funny because an NPC compared him to said character).  I keep on waiting for him to go 'make my day' or 'do you feel lucky, punk?'.

I hear batman.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 26, 2011, 11:52:14 PM »

Gamestop steps up to compensate PC buyers of DX:HR

Dear GameStop customer,

Earlier this week, GameStop removed a competitor's coupon from standard edition PC versions of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, a recent release by Square Enix. We were not aware that the product box would contain this competitor's offer. We regret the events surrounding this title release and that our customers were put in the middle of this issue between GameStop and Square Enix, the publisher of this game. And for this, we are truly sorry.

For your inconvenience, we would like to offer you a free $50 GameStop gift card and a Buy 2 Get 1 Free pre-owned purchase. We want to earn back your trust and confidence in the GameStop experience. Please bring in this email and your store receipt or order confirmation from GameStop.com and present it to a Game Advisor.

Sincerely, Paul Raines CEO, GameStop

$50 gift card? Not too shabby.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 27, 2011, 01:37:00 AM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on August 26, 2011, 11:52:14 PM

Gamestop steps up to compensate PC buyers of DX:HR

Dear GameStop customer,

Earlier this week, GameStop removed a competitor's coupon from standard edition PC versions of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, a recent release by Square Enix. We were not aware that the product box would contain this competitor's offer. We regret the events surrounding this title release and that our customers were put in the middle of this issue between GameStop and Square Enix, the publisher of this game. And for this, we are truly sorry.

For your inconvenience, we would like to offer you a free $50 GameStop gift card and a Buy 2 Get 1 Free pre-owned purchase. We want to earn back your trust and confidence in the GameStop experience. Please bring in this email and your store receipt or order confirmation from GameStop.com and present it to a Game Advisor.

Sincerely, Paul Raines CEO, GameStop

$50 gift card? Not too shabby.

Wonder if they somehow tracked which stores were removing the coupons, or if they're sending it out to everyone who purchased it for PC.   My copy had the coupon still in it, but I'll certainly take a $50 gift card.   icon_twisted

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 27, 2011, 02:48:26 AM »

Trying to get into this game, but am having major issues with it crashing.  3 times now after cut-scenes, it fades to a black screen with music and does nothing.  Alt-tabbing out and back in will bring up the pause menu, but trying to exit out of the game from their causes it to completely lock. 

Ugh.

Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 27, 2011, 03:15:19 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 27, 2011, 02:48:26 AM

Trying to get into this game, but am having major issues with it crashing.  3 times now after cut-scenes, it fades to a black screen with music and does nothing.  Alt-tabbing out and back in will bring up the pause menu, but trying to exit out of the game from their causes it to completely lock. 

Ugh.
Same,just got it from d2d. How do I patch it?

Grace: Unmerited favor.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 27, 2011, 03:41:14 AM »

Quote from: Arclight on August 27, 2011, 03:15:19 AM

Ugh.

since it uses Steamworks it should automatically patch.

Because I can,
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 27, 2011, 07:05:14 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 27, 2011, 03:41:14 AM

Quote from: Arclight on August 27, 2011, 03:15:19 AM

Ugh.

since it uses Steamworks it should automatically patch.
Well, there goes my hopes that the patch would fix the crashing.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: August 27, 2011, 06:27:20 PM »

Ok, can anyone PM me some ideas on how in the world I beat the first boss?  He kills me in about 5 seconds once the cutscene ends.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 27, 2011, 06:37:57 PM »

Quote from: Arkon on August 27, 2011, 06:27:20 PM

Ok, can anyone PM me some ideas on how in the world I beat the first boss?  He kills me in about 5 seconds once the cutscene ends.

spoilers about the first boss

eh - where the heck are spoiler tags?

PM'ing

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 27, 2011, 06:40:52 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on August 27, 2011, 06:37:57 PM

eh - where the heck are spoiler tags?

it's the button marked Sp, right next to the IMG button.  alternatively, just use

Code:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

hope that helps smile

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 27, 2011, 06:44:27 PM »

You Maniacs! You changed it ! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!

A new one
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 27, 2011, 09:36:36 PM »

Either I don't get it, or I simply just suck at the stealth in this game.  Seems like either the AI is dumb as a stump and won't detect someone standing right in front of them, or they have super-ridiculous senses and somehow detect me from clear across the room when I'm completely hidden.

I've tried to be stealthy in every encounter so far in the first mission but it has ended in a giant firefight (which i typically end up losing).  Getting frustrated as hell. 

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 27, 2011, 09:38:40 PM »

Stealth is highly dependant on the sticky cover - if you use that, you are very well covered - shadows does not do anything. Also remember sound carries, meaning crouching is the way to go all the time - and don't do what I did, walk into empty oilcans :-D

A new one
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 27, 2011, 09:40:19 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on August 27, 2011, 09:38:40 PM

Stealth is highly dependant on the sticky cover - if you use that, you are very well covered

See, that's what I thought, but I keep getting spotted even when I'm behind sticky cover and out of the line of sight.  It's like the enemy somehow knows I'm there, but I can't figure out why.

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 27, 2011, 10:10:44 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on August 27, 2011, 09:40:19 PM

Stealth is highly dependant on the sticky cover - if you use that, you are very well covered

See, that's what I thought, but I keep getting spotted even when I'm behind sticky cover and out of the line of sight.  It's like the enemy somehow knows I'm there, but I can't figure out why.

Security cameras, perhaps?  My last dust-up came when I ended up overlooking a lower floor with all kinds of bad guys wandering around and talking to each other. Thinking to grab some cover I pulled the wrong damn trigger and fired off a round instead. Needless to say, all hell broke lose.  retard

-craig

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 27, 2011, 10:57:02 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on August 27, 2011, 10:10:44 PM

Quote from: Gratch on August 27, 2011, 09:40:19 PM

Security cameras, perhaps? 

Don't think so...this was happening in some of the starting areas before security cameras even showed up.

Managed to get through the first mission, but every encounter was run-n-gun.  Felt just like I was playing a cover-based shooter...which isn't entirely a bad thing, just not at all what I was expecting. 

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 27, 2011, 11:20:45 PM »

That's really weird - you are crouching, right? I wonder if difficulty plays a part? I'm playing on medium, and while I have to be carefull, I can get around most enemies.

I'm going for the Ghost award most places

A new one
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: