http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 04:35:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DESTROY ALL HUMANS..  (Read 3292 times)
HankRaptor
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: June 09, 2005, 12:15:24 AM »

I was watching videos on this, and it looks interesting.... has anyone heard anything about this title?

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 12:23:23 AM »

I played the demo in last months OXM and thought it quite funny actually.  Could be good.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 01:20:56 AM »

ive been waitin for this one for a LOONG time thought it looked so neat (either saw a front page thing here months back or OXM preview a while ago cant remember which made me want it more)

so to rip off others here - def in
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 01:27:52 AM »

Demo was fun - Possibly IN!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 12:30:43 PM »

Demo was great fun.

BUT!

If you CANNOT invert the controls, like you COULD NOT in the demo, then I am OUT!  I can't play a game where I'm shooting the sky and the ground all the time.

I searched and searched and could not find the answer to this.  If anybody here can find out I would love to know.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 04:32:48 PM »

I don't know if it will be a good game, but it is nice to see a game with decent television advertisements.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
phormio
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2005, 03:31:40 PM »

In.

Been interested ever since I heard about it. Pre-ordered from EBGames.com (who could resist that Plan 9 from Outer Space DVD). Looks like good fun with tongue firmly implanted in cheek. And after playing the demo I was happy-happy.

So of course I got an email a couple days later telling me the release date had been pushed back.

Due to serious backlog issues, this might very well be the last non-360 Xbox game I ever get...sniff... :cry:

(except maybe for NCAA Football 2006)

"My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them." --Mitch Hedberg
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2005, 04:07:00 PM »

Quote from: "phormio"
In.

Been interested ever since I heard about it. Pre-ordered from EBGames.com (who could resist that Plan 9 from Outer Space DVD). Looks like good fun with tongue firmly implanted in cheek. And after playing the demo I was happy-happy.

So of course I got an email a couple days later telling me the release date had been pushed back.

Due to serious backlog issues, this might very well be the last non-360 Xbox game I ever get...sniff... :cry:

(except maybe for NCAA Football 2006)

You'll only buy Xbox 360 games for the rest of your life?
Sounds like a bad idea.

PSN ID: EduardoX
phormio
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2005, 08:50:40 AM »

Eduardo X You'll only buy Xbox 360 games for the rest of your life?
Sounds like a bad idea.

Who said anything about 'the rest of my life'? :?

I'm relatively certain that most game companies will be developing for the newer platforms before long (many already are). If I have a choice between an Xbox or an Xbox 360 version of a particular game, I'm almost certainly goin' 360.

I have no intention of dumping my old Xbox or the games (and I'm certainly not quitting PC games), but I don't see that many new games that I'll be interested in coming out for the old platform, especially after the 360 launches.

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2005, 05:42:54 PM »

Quote from: "phormio"
Eduardo X You'll only buy Xbox 360 games for the rest of your life?
Sounds like a bad idea.

Who said anything about 'the rest of my life'? :?

I'm relatively certain that most game companies will be developing for the newer platforms before long (many already are). If I have a choice between an Xbox or an Xbox 360 version of a particular game, I'm almost certainly goin' 360.

I have no intention of dumping my old Xbox or the games (and I'm certainly not quitting PC games), but I don't see that many new games that I'll be interested in coming out for the old platform, especially after the 360 launches.

I forgot teh smiley face.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2005, 06:18:45 PM »

I will ask again.:wink:

Did anyone find out if the controls can be INVERTED???

Thanks!

XM Channel 76
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2005, 07:47:46 PM »

I would surely think they could be, but...you never know... I`m avioding this demo...I don`t want to have to want another great game to buy right now;).
phormio
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2005, 02:48:25 AM »

Eduardo X - My bad! I really shouldn't post on "no sleep".

Starshifter - I've been looking all over to find out if the controls will be invertible and I can find no preview or review that says one way or the other. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places, but I emailed Pandemic anyway. If they answer, I'll relay it.

infoghost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2005, 11:02:10 AM »

I think I'm a gonna pick this one up. Looks like too much fun to pass up, and I am a sucker for 50's cheesy alien sci-fi....

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2005, 12:14:16 PM »

phormio - Thanks!  I did the same thing.  I also could not find any preview/interview/posts that would indicate that the controls were invertible.  Keep me posted.  Thanks again! smile

XM Channel 76
Vikki
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2005, 04:46:25 AM »

Destroy All Humans does infact have an invert in the Options Menu (for both the Xbox and PS2).  The Options were intentionally removed for the OPM, OXM, and E3 demos.  I personally must invert my own options whenever the game offer it.  You probably know but in case you do not Destroy All Humans will be releasing on June 21st.

Peace out

Vikki
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2005, 01:30:02 PM »

OK, thanks VICKI... Im in now.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
phormio
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2005, 06:12:09 PM »

The question has already been answered but I am a man of my word. Pandemic replied and this is what they said:

"The camera controls are invertible, but there are no alternate control schemes.

AFAIK The invert controls are in the shipping game - you can invert the camera on the x & y (up/down &  left/right) axis independently.

We don't have alternate control schemes because:

- the onscreen positioning of the UI (weapons on right and abilities on the left) is mapped the same as the controller layout - abilities on left shoulder, weapons on the right shoulder

- we would have had to have alternate versions of every tutorial in the game to match each controller layout

- the ability UI would have had to cater for alternate face button assignments

It was all too complex, and wouldn't really have provided a true alternate control layout - it would have been a lot of work to just shuffle a few buttons around."

I only asked about inverting, but I greatly appreciate Josh Resnick taking the time to reply.

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2005, 06:19:21 PM »

phormio - Thanks for following up on that.  Now I can relax and purchase this one next week.  Good job! biggrin

XM Channel 76
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2005, 04:45:34 PM »

Where are the first impressions.  Surely someone has picked this up today since it is in some stores.   Can't wait to rent this baby.  God, how I loved those old scifi movies.  This should be fun.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2005, 05:28:38 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
Where are the first impressions.  Surely someone has picked this up today since it is in some stores.   Can't wait to rent this baby.  God, how I loved those old scifi movies.  This should be fun.

I got it, and I should have some impressions in a bit.  So far I got this:

The box is nice.  Good quality wrapping.  It comes on a disc.  The maula is in color, has words and pictures, and looks like it has good quality staples too.  It smells 'new'.  Oh, and 4 pages of credits  Tongue

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2005, 07:04:01 PM »

OK, after an hour of gameplay (basically the first level), here's some limited impressions for the X-Box version:

Graphics:  Nicely done, although there is really a limited amount of models for the humans so far.

Sound:  Cheesy sci-fi sounds, but what else do you expect?

Gameplay: On foot it's your basic third person shooter.  You have your weapons and mental abilities.  PK lifts and throws enemies (and eventually heavier stuff), scan lets you briefly ready thoughts (MOOOO!) and Brain Extractor, well, extracts their brains after they are dead.  Brains give you DNA, which can be spent on upgraded.  For weapons so far there is the ray gun which shocks an enemy to death, and the Anal Probe which makes their brains pop out with having to extract them.  You alos have shields like the ones in Halo.  You take damage but they'll recharge quickly if you avoid getting hit.

I am kind of iffy on the flying saucer bit.  The camera angle is a bit to close and angles to far down-  as far as I can tell you cannot change it- which really limits your POV. So far there is the standard Heat Ray O' Death which blasts everything and the Tractor Beam which lets you pick stuff up and toss them around.

The levels seem pretty big, and as far as I can tell there is no barrier holding you in.  Unfortunately one you get past a certain point all you get is hills with nothing else.  I think there is some respawning, and there are certain challenges you can do like they had in Mercenaries.  After the first level, which I took about an hour to play just messing around, the game said I am 6% complete.

The controls are pretty tight.  Right trigger fires your weapons, left opens your mental ablilites.  You have a jet pack for limited jumping, but you will take damage if you go to high and fall.  Water is Insto-Death.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2005, 07:14:13 PM »

Sounds exactly like the demo so far.  Curious as to overall length (hoping for at least 12 hours), variety of missions, and difficulty.  I thought the demo was way way way to easy.  If it is much harder than that then I would be very interested.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2005, 09:41:03 PM »

Damn you all!!! :wink:  I picked this one up. I`m gonna bust it open later when I have more time. So anymore updated impressions?
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2005, 01:42:35 AM »

im having a blast with it, the game is hilarious (the stuff the people say when you scan them is great!) plus its an awful lot of fun - the disintegrator thing is wicked - just like in mars attacks smile  

as far as length, seems pretty decent, plus add in that youll spend an extra bit of time just blasting things, lifting things and generally causing havoc because you can.  mission variety is pretty good, youll wander around killing, destroying certain buildings, impersonating  and abducting people that kind of stuff.  you can jump from area to area, which is pretty neat (its not continuous like the grand theft - there are basically huge "hotspots" or levels that you can jump to at will)

difficulty - it isnt too tough.  the game is VERY forgiving with handling death, which i kind of like.  some of the missions get hard but i havent gotten to anything frustrating yet - plus again theres really no penalty ive seen for dying - a perk for me, dont know how everyone else feels.  so yea, any other questions ill prob keep looking up here to see what everyone else thinks of it.  im having a ton of fun and will be playing for a bit longer tonight
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2005, 07:00:45 AM »

I waited so long for this game and all I can say is I will be tring to very hard to finished this before wednesday so I trade it in for, RCT: soaked (expansion) Because I am already board to death same shit over and have to wait for the weapon up grades. Iam just F-ing pissed I let GoA go for this. would have been better as a rental.
Ghost master was better than this an offered a good laugh to.
This is my  PO

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2005, 07:16:05 AM »

I`m REALLY happy with this purchase. Great game. Really funny, really over the top action, all very enjoyable for me. I`m through 4 missions I think only, and it`s super-fun so far. Great style. This and psychonauts were both very good in that department, and many others. Great game!
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2005, 11:56:14 AM »

Well, I got it (rent) and after about 4 missions I am bored with it.  The dialogue is the best part of the game.  Quite humorous.  Unfortunately I find the gameplay extremely repetitive and challengeless.  I also see no place to up the difficulty, so, no fixin that.  It's cute and all, but just this far in I have gotten all I want from it.  

Now, on to Conker.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2005, 04:04:46 PM »

Sounds exactly like the demo so far.

Actually, the available mission area is much, much bigger than in the demo (also, if I remember, the demo stopped before the attack on the military and there were no bonus missions to mess around with).  Basing it purely on those DNA probes, I think there were something like 12 in the demo.  There are around 30 in the first level.

The levels seem pretty big, and as far as I can tell there is no barrier holding you in. Unfortunately one you get past a certain point all you get is hills with nothing else.

If you keep looking, there are usually farms or homes nestled in those hills.  Also, though there is no physical barrier, there is a map edge.  When you cross it, the boss says, "Crypto, you are not authorized to leave the mission area."  When you return, he says, "You have returned to the mission area."  I seem to remember dying in the demo for staying out of the mission area for too long.  Honestly, a nice artificial barrier would have been much more effective.  The map edge is fairly arbitrary, and when you're looking for those probe DNA things, you are constantly hearing the warning and return message.  It gets old very fast.

However, that is my big complaint with the game.

As for difficulty, the first mission is a tutorial.  The next one has you creeping around a fair and a town teeming with people.  It ups the sneak around factor considerably.  I expect it'll get more challenging from there.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2005, 06:40:15 PM »

ya once you get to the "roswell" type area (bout 20% into the game by the save thing) it gets a bit harder - course if youre bored of the game before even gettin there, there's not a lot else besides a few new weapons/upgrades and the random acts of carnage to keep you entertained if you were bored already.

i on the other hand still love it - fun to jump in beat a couple missions mess up the humans world with crazy weapons and your saucer, then bounce.  if you dont like the whole action / sandbox type game (which many people find too "loose", repetitive and short on story / development) then you wont like this - if you get a kick out of that youll love it.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2005, 05:50:43 AM »

I`m still getting a HUGE kick out of this game also. Great game!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: