http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 12:36:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Desktop Tower Defense - go Gaming Trend team!  (Read 3788 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 22, 2007, 04:08:35 AM »

http://www.handdrawngames.com/DesktopTD/

Desktop Tower Defense is quite possibly the most addictive game I've run across in months.  You fight off waves of invaders by setting up swarms of turrets.  Fun, simple and amazingly compelling.  You play the game in your browser so system requirements are a no-brainer.

If you do play, submit your scores under the "Gaming Trend" (with a space) team and see how badly I suck!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 04:57:02 AM »

Well if you suck, then I am the primordial descendent of suck.  But I had fun, and that's what counts, right?

Sandwiches do fix everything.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 05:05:14 AM »

Completely!

One note - you have to play on Normal or Hard to submit your scores.  I... can't... stop... playing...
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2007, 05:32:55 AM »

I can't stop playing this game either, but I can't quite understand how you are getting such high scores.  You're doubling my best scores and by the time I die I am getting overrun by two groups at once.  Usually those damnable flying guys on top of another group and they all get by. 

Of course, I've only played four games so far, but I just feel like a tool when I'm doing my best and just getting worked over. 

warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2007, 05:48:27 AM »

I wind up with 3 or so air turrets in a triangle in the middle of my map.  That tends to nuke the fliers for the most part.  Except for the flying bosses.  They just suck.

Definitely check out the Player Mazes section.  Some of them are very clever.  Since you have limited resources - it's all about funnelling them back and forth within range of several highly upgraded guns.  I've never used a Bash Tower but I have used the rest.  I make my maze out of the cheap Pellet Towers but leave room for Squirt Towers, Dart Towers and Frost Towers.  I also concentrate on upgrading 4-7 main towers once I get my maze built.  Those upgraded towers seem to do the bulk of my damage.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 09:23:40 AM »

I guess the secret is to use just a few fully upgraded towers like you say.  When I started I was doing one or two upgrades on every one of my towers and towards the end it just wasn't cutting it.  I thought with all the back and forth it would help for each of those guys to be doing better damage but a couple maxed out ones were better. 

I did kind of like the Bash Tower, since when it is fully upgraded it has a 20% chance of stunning ground enemies and does decent damage.  That works great if you can funnel those big groups all around it, but they end up to be so expensive it may not be worth it. 

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 01:48:19 PM »

Oookay.  How do you submit a score?
warning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 02:29:54 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on April 22, 2007, 01:48:19 PM

Oookay.  How do you submit a score?

You have to play on at least Normal difficulty.  When you are done it will ask you to type in your name and then the next screen it will ask you to type in a team name.  Ours is Gaming Trend.  It wouldn't let me do it until I allowed it to install a cookie though.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 03:00:08 PM »

So far I've gotten my two highest scores with a small maze that focuses on Squirt Towers and Air Defense Towers.  Here's my last map:

I mananged to get one of the last two air bosses but one keeps escaping me. One or two others got by before I'd beefed up my lines.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 03:11:38 PM »

What'd you start with, the pebble or the squirts?
warning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 03:20:59 PM »

Pebbles in the upper left quadrant.  They took out the initial runs and then I began adding Squirts.  I barely got my Air Towers up in time for the first air wave.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 04:12:49 PM »

Warning, I blame you for making me stay up until 3am playing this game last night.  I eschewed Lost Planet, Mercenaries, my Wii and everything else for several hours of this madness.  Madness!!

Needless to say my dreams were filled with trying to route people through mazes.  Seriously.   paranoid

warning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 04:53:56 PM »

Yeah it's nutty.  I went to bed at 2:30 and fell asleep trying to figure out the best placement for Squirt Towers.

Edit:  Engine you bastard!  You beat my top score.  Aw man... now it's on, it's so completely ON!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 04:55:42 PM by warning » Logged
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2007, 07:11:50 PM »

Hehe, bring it on Warning!  And you other guys too!  I'm glad to see a couple more members joined the ranks this morning. 

Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2007, 08:00:06 PM »

Dammit. Now I'm hooked.

PSN ID: EduardoX
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2007, 08:41:47 PM »

yeah darn addicting
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2007, 10:24:39 PM »

Finally managed to survive all 50 waves on medium... I think the addiction is broken for now.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2007, 10:36:34 PM »

Bastards... only had time to play a bit, but I'm sure I'll play more soon.
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2007, 04:50:17 AM »

I personally claim I coulda beaten the high score, BUt I kept forgetting to hit : Send next level... lol

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Eagerly awaiting Drakes Fortune 2...
warning

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2007, 11:45:52 AM »

Quote from: Semaj on April 23, 2007, 04:50:17 AM

I personally claim I coulda beaten the high score, BUt I kept forgetting to hit : Send next level... lol

They come automatically so why would you have to unless that gives you some kind of bonus maybe?  I actually am not sure where the bonuses come from.  I assume you get a bonus when you defeat the creeps quickly.
drifter

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2007, 12:07:44 PM »

Yes you get a point bonus the earlier you start the next level
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2007, 08:36:50 PM »

Yep, every second earlier you send the next wave gives you bonus points.  I usually end up with around 500 bonus points by doing this.  I think you might also get bonus points for how much gold you have left at the end of the game. 

My big problem is that sometimes I forget to look at home much time is left before the next wave and by the time I click on the Send Next Wave button the timer has run out so I basically get two waves at the exact same time.  That usually doesn't go so well with the later waves.   

Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2007, 08:49:19 PM »

Le Flexo

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
warning

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2007, 09:04:04 PM »

I played around with it during lunch hour and I can pretty much take on a regular wave and fliers at the same time.  The fliers get to the turrets in the center quickly while the regular creeps are working their way through the maze.  I pretty much hit Send Next Wave once I see fliers are up next.

Except for the flying bosses.  I hate those bastards.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2007, 10:10:18 PM »

Yeah, the flying waves is a great time to send the next ones early (especially since they are always two Normal waves after the flyers) as long as you have some decent anti-air towers up. 

I've found I can usually only get the flying bosses down if I have at least one flying tower (preferably 2 or 3) up to max upgrade.  That really increases the range, damage and speed of firing for them.  It just really hard for me to sit there and do nothing while building up that 310 gold to do that final upgrade. 

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2007, 10:49:07 PM »

Nice work on that Hard level, Warning.  Those stronger guys beat me down before my plans come to fruition.   

Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2007, 12:31:16 AM »

Quote from: warning on April 22, 2007, 04:08:35 AM

http://www.handdrawngames.com/DesktopTD/

Desktop Tower Defense is quite possibly the most addictive game I've run across in months.  You fight off waves of invaders by setting up swarms of turrets.  Fun, simple and amazingly compelling.  You play the game in your browser so system requirements are a no-brainer.

If you do play, submit your scores under the "Gaming Trend" (with a space) team and see how badly I suck!

Same game, just more basic as this;

http://www.master-of-defense.com/

Probably one of the most addicting pieces of shareware I have played in recent years.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2007, 03:35:51 AM »

Just want to thank Warning's design for the inspiration that got me to my first 20 Lives Left victory.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2007, 08:27:27 AM »

ok I'm retiring for a bit smile

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2007, 01:41:44 PM »

So, everybody post your tactics and end-game mazes so we can keep submitting high scores to the site. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
warning

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2007, 02:20:57 PM »

Well if you go to the Team Scores page you can click on anyone's name and see their mazes.  I took some notes on Semaj, Crayola and Engine's creations.   ninja
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2007, 02:47:25 PM »

Quote from: Semaj on April 25, 2007, 08:27:27 AM

ok I'm retiring for a bit smile

You sure about that, Sparky?  icon_wink

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2007, 03:23:47 PM »

Uh... yeah.... my paltry 500-something is apparently nothing compared to the might of Crayola. eek

/bows down in awe

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2007, 03:40:00 PM »

Quote from: CrayolaSmoker on April 25, 2007, 03:35:51 AM

Just want to thank Warning's design for the inspiration that got me to my first 20 Lives Left victory.

Hmm, I'm simply not "getting" this game.  I can get between 2k-3k fairly regularly but I can't seem to stop everything.  I've tried several layouts including one square-for-square of Warning's.  Some of the mobs just fly through my maze, especially the fast moving bosses.  I try to get a basic tunnel pattern going and then concentrate on alternating between fleshing it out farther and upgrades.  And I basically switch to all upgrades in the latter portion.  Any tips, critiques, etc. are welcome.

Here's a link to my mazes.

Here's the latest incarnation (2849 points):

My previous design (2841 points):

Semaj

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2007, 03:56:03 PM »

Quote from: Jancelot on April 25, 2007, 03:40:00 PM

Hmm, I'm simply not "getting" this game.  I can get between 2k-3k fairly regularly but I can't seem to stop everything.  I've tried several layouts including one square-for-square of Warning's.  Some of the mobs just fly through my maze, especially the fast moving bosses.  I try to get a basic tunnel pattern going and then concentrate on alternating between fleshing it out farther and upgrades.  And I basically switch to all upgrades in the latter portion.  Any tips, critiques, etc. are welcome.

Alright I'll give out some of my tips... lol...

1) 1 5 square upgraded SQ > 2 4 Bangers in terms of raw power, range and everything.  SO rather than build 7 4 or less guys, get a couple 5's in strategic spots and you wipe the floor with stuff.  I also am slowly getting away from freezes for anything other than The two air bosses.  They slow down most of the mobs yes, which adds time, and cuts down on bunus points some.  However for you to win they do make for easier killing, allows for mroe pummeling the creatures time and are cheap to upgrade (at 50 to start, then 25, 25, 25, 25, 50)

2) Learn What works for you.  Everything can hit flying units.  What makes them annoying is they dont follow the maze you design.  I've spent the better part of my last day just doing different maze designs.  I think the diagonal ones are better in the long run, but I am not sure.  If your comfortable with straight mazes, use it.

3) The Air Guns are insta death to most levels of flying guys.  If you build _1_, it'll wipe out the first 2 or 3 waves of air attacks without a need to upgrade.  You wont have any problems until much later on with one built. I've been trying to figure out how to maximise my build so that no air units(read the bosses at the end) ever escape.  I used to be able to do it with a 4 and a 5 air gun, but I think it's more from other things shooting them as well as freezing.

4) Start next level is a huge source of bonus points.  Once you can get it so you know your winning that level, like the creatures are all but dead, start the next one.

5) I'ma try one with bashes soon, but I dont think they have what it takes to be amazing, unless the final upgrade is Ph-enom-i-nal.

WoW:
Venerable
Skywarden
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2007, 04:15:50 PM »

Quote from: Jancelot on April 25, 2007, 03:40:00 PM

I've tried several tactics so far, and I seem to have the best luck with concentrated firepower from about 9 squirt towers and 2-3 swarm towers - and getting the creeps in range of them as many times as possible.

Your most recent design is a solid starting point. Stick two more pellet towers on the top row to force the south-bound creeps to walk a bit further. The northern most east-west creeps aren't going to be affected at all by where you've got the swarm towers. I'd suggest sticking them in place of pellet towers on multiple rows - oddly enough, swarm towers benefit less from concentrated fire. They seem to work better when the flying creeps have to go through them one-by-one instead. If you place them right, you shouldn't need the bottom row of squirt towers at all. I'm also thinking you can do without the freeze towers, giving you more funds for getting some of those squirt towers to max.

Efficient use of funds is another key. Once your two top-most rows of squirt towers are upgraded a couple times, concentrate on getting two or three of 'em to the next-to-last tier, then upgrade to third tier. There's a HUGE leap in damage (and a small boost to range) from the fourth tier to the last tier and just one squirt tower fully maxed can easily do the work of two or three lesser towers.

I find upgrading pellet towers to be worthless. The rate-of-fire isn't high enough to make 'em worthwhile, IMO.

And a note to semaj, who posted his reply while I was writing this - bashes are pretty good for delaying large numbers of creeps. They seem to be most effective when paired with a dart tower tooled up to ICBM level. Stop the mob, then pummel 'em with AOE firepower, basically. If your squirts are also in range... pure devestation.

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2007, 04:27:43 PM »

Great, thanks for the tips, guys!

Made some modifications to it and went back to an older design.  It basically works to divide the two groups up.  The top group immediately enters the gauntlet while the left group has to march all the way around.  The only drawback is that it's harder to use the "Send Next Wave" button as the second group eats up alot of the clock.  But it's an improvment and I made it all the way to level 50 before being overwhelmed.  I haven't really messed around with the bash or dart towers so I might try adding a couple of those to my hate zone.  icon_biggrin

Normal:   4395 points

*EDIT: 
5402 points
Woot!  Refined the above design a bit and concentrated on getting squirt cannon fully upgraded ASAP.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 04:59:46 PM by Jancelot » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2007, 06:22:28 PM »

Here's one that was submitted recently that made some 6500 points:

Interesting design. No air defense at all though. Strange.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
warning

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2007, 06:47:11 PM »

Yeah but those fully upgraded Squirts do the job nicely.  I don't know about the Flying Bosses but they should take care of everything else.

I've never used Bash Towers so I need to try them out.  Freezers are nice but I haven't used much of them.  I tend to like Squirts and ICBM Towers.

It's crazy how addicting this game is.  I find myself thinking during the day about possible maze patterns I want to try out.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2007, 07:18:33 PM »

I could see the Dwarf Fortress guys having a significant advantage over the rest of us.  icon_wink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: