http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 12:27:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Demon's Souls PS3 US version  (Read 44872 times)
DamageInc
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #960 on: March 24, 2010, 12:40:14 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on March 22, 2010, 11:26:00 PM

Quote from: Jag on March 22, 2010, 08:17:23 PM

I may try another class, but need recommendations. I need to be able to block and take a bit of a beating. How is a priest compared to a Knight?

i've always gone with speed over comfort (wanderer), mostly in order to avoid taking a bit of a beating, so i can't be of much help smile - sorry...

I pulled part of this from my post on page 18 of this thread.

My main way of battling through most of the game was to pull using the bow. Once melee insued I just let them hit me once while my shield was raised to get the knockback/stun, and then go in and melee the crap out of them.
You need a good Endurance stat to help facilitate this method. My initial stat focus was End, Dex (until I got enough for the bow) and then Str.
With heavy armor I couldn't roll for crap, but I didn't need to for 90% of the game. When I did need to roll I just switched out for a Leather type set.

Weapon focus was to get the Purple Flame Shield, the Long Compound Bow, Blessed Mace and the Winged Spear.
Then go after the rocks/stones to level them up.

I had a Priest/Tank build. Heavy armor and big shield.

My main ending weapons were:

+5 Blessed Mace (One hit almost everything at 70% or above White WT)
+5 Sticky Compound Long Bow (Could one-shot almost everything using Heavy Arrows at 70% or above White WT)
+5 Moon Winged Spear
+8 Purple Flame Shield
My ending armor was the "Old Kings armor?" Had a "greenish" hue to it

I also had many + weapons that I used situationally like a +? Uchigatana and a +? Mercury Rapier that I used for PvP cases (? = I can't remember the ending levels, but I think it is a few post pages back)
I farmed many "rays" using the Bow and the Storm Ruler sword

To each his own in this game, but I was able to easily wipe most of the game (except one Boss when the WT was slightly Black) I found the N+ cycle to be just as easy with the same weapons

Good Luck!

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #961 on: March 29, 2010, 09:13:56 PM »

This game has such a curious pull on me. I play for a bit, get annoyed and stop. But it pulls me from the back of my mind. I am now firmly in the 'this game is awesome' camp, I just need to put some time into it.

I finished 1-1 as Knight. I accidentally let Ostravia die before I killed Phalanx, so he's gone. Got completely roastedx2 starting 1-2 and lost over 6k souls permanently. I think I may start again as a Temple Knight and go with a melee/magic build.

Probably the most amazing thing about this game is that I have absolutely no issue with restarting all over again. Something I would never do in any traditional game. I view redoing 1-1 as simply a way to hone my skills rather than a boring obligation.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #962 on: March 30, 2010, 12:21:32 PM »

Quote from: Jag on March 29, 2010, 09:13:56 PM

I view redoing 1-1 as simply a way to hone my skills rather than a boring obligation.

Absolutely spot on.  Usually a game that has the same enemies repopulate ad infinitum would boggle my mind and would get very little time.  I actually relish replaying the same spots (not all of them) over and over to build up my souls and get better.

I hope to get back to this after I finish God of War 2....and God of War III.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #963 on: March 30, 2010, 01:42:28 PM »

For some reason the Temple Knight seemed much weaker than the Knight (and that Halberd sucks in close quarters). Coupled with the fact that I was able to use Heal exactly once before running out of mana (I know I can eat mana plants, but I can also eat health plants too), so I went back to my Knight.  After getting roasted, toasted and basted in 1-2, I needed to kill that Dragon.  I figured I would farm souls to buy arrows. I spent the rest of the night leaving various parts of my soul all over 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, etc with nothing to show for it, but I had fun doing it!
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #964 on: April 01, 2010, 12:07:33 PM »

I picked this up on a whim yesterday as my local store finally got copies.

What the hell is going on?  I finished the tutorial and then proceeded to run around the Nexus reading bloodstains, and generally not getting anywhere.

"Goonies never say die"
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #965 on: April 01, 2010, 01:11:09 PM »

I got the Dragon down with 5 arrows left!! I didn't think I was going to get him and all of a sudden my soul indicator lights up like a slot machine.

So now I have about 6k souls and it says i'm SL8. I need to spend everything before I head back in, but not sure whether to spend points on stats or spells (and which ones) as a Knight. I'm thinking I should stay away from magic until I have the ability to regenerate it and maybe bump up my Dex and run back for the Purple Shield. All I know is I ventured into some of the later areas and didn't make it more than a few feet before dying.

Any thoughts?
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #966 on: April 01, 2010, 01:51:29 PM »

I still have not located any arrows in this game.

Jag

View Profile
« Reply #967 on: April 01, 2010, 02:29:25 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on April 01, 2010, 01:51:29 PM

I still have not located any arrows in this game.

The vendor in the Nexus. They cost 20 souls each arrow.
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #968 on: April 01, 2010, 03:07:56 PM »

Quote from: Jag on April 01, 2010, 01:11:09 PM

I got the Dragon down with 5 arrows left!! I didn't think I was going to get him and all of a sudden my soul indicator lights up like a slot machine.

So now I have about 6k souls and it says i'm SL8. I need to spend everything before I head back in, but not sure whether to spend points on stats or spells (and which ones) as a Knight. I'm thinking I should stay away from magic until I have the ability to regenerate it and maybe bump up my Dex and run back for the Purple Shield. All I know is I ventured into some of the later areas and didn't make it more than a few feet before dying.

Any thoughts?
Although it doesn't matter that much that you are a Knight now that you can upgrade your stats/spells, my inclination would be to advise you get your stats to the point where you can equip the purple flame shield.  That's a lot of bang for the buck early, especially if you are used to going toe to toe w/enemies.

Another thing is that you should have received the soul from Dragon (Lesser Flame Demon Soul, or somesuch) which you can immediately redeem for more upgrade souls because it isn't used in any item recipes later -- this is a nice jumpstart.  For almost all other boss souls, you should hold onto them until you know what they can be used for.

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #969 on: April 01, 2010, 03:20:49 PM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on April 01, 2010, 03:07:56 PM

Any thoughts?
Although it doesn't matter that much that you are a Knight now that you can upgrade your stats/spells, my inclination would be to advise you get your stats to the point where you can equip the purple flame shield.  That's a lot of bang for the buck early, especially if you are used to going toe to toe w/enemies.

Another thing is that you should have received the soul from Dragon (Lesser Flame Demon Soul, or somesuch) which you can immediately redeem for more upgrade souls because it isn't used in any item recipes later -- this is a nice jumpstart.  For almost all other boss souls, you should hold onto them until you know what they can be used for.

Ok. What about upgrading my Winged Spear. Does the +1, etc. help?
MrDuck
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #970 on: April 01, 2010, 04:37:33 PM »

Finished it the other day. Fun times smile

Spoiler for Hiden:
Curiously enough, I only ended up finding only 4 bosses difficult, the rest being chumps. Flamelurker was the toughest for me, False King being a 2nd, although I, oddly, didn't die fighting him. Penetrator 3rd, Biorr helped me with him and a possible 4th would be Astarea, or more likely, her bodyguard Vinland (fought him once, got my ass handed back to me...decided to kill the bitch from afar with arrows).
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 04:39:51 PM by MrDuck » Logged

Xbox360 Live! Gamertag: Wuigi69
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #971 on: April 01, 2010, 05:17:39 PM »

Quote from: MrDuck on April 01, 2010, 04:37:33 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Curiously enough, I only ended up finding only 4 bosses difficult, the rest being chumps. Flamelurker was the toughest for me, False King being a 2nd, although I, oddly, didn't die fighting him. Penetrator 3rd, Biorr helped me with him and a possible 4th would be Astarea, or more likely, her bodyguard Vinland (fought him once, got my ass handed back to me...decided to kill the bitch from afar with arrows).

Spoiler for Hiden:
i cheesed vinland, taking advantage of the fact that he wouldn't move much - get close enough to where he winds up for his attack, flip back as he starts to deliver it, then flip forward, whack him a few times, back away, & repeat. sleazy (& cowardly), but effective smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #972 on: April 01, 2010, 05:21:32 PM »

Quote from: Jag on April 01, 2010, 03:20:49 PM

Any thoughts?

It definitely helps, but you should check out the wiki to make sure you don't "overupgrade" anything.  Sometimes, upgrading past a certain point will make it impossible to take the weapon along certain upgrade paths.  Up to +3 should be fine though.

Also, the winged spear makes a good early combo with the PF shield as you can poke with the spear while keeping the shield up.

Wiki: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/home

The wiki can deliver some spoilers, but overall, I think its help in avoiding pitfalls outweighs that fact in terms of fun factor.

Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #973 on: April 01, 2010, 07:57:27 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on April 01, 2010, 05:17:39 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
i cheesed vinland, taking advantage of the fact that he wouldn't move much - get close enough to where he winds up for his attack, flip back as he starts to deliver it, then flip forward, whack him a few times, back away, & repeat. sleazy (& cowardly), but effective smile ...

Spoiler for Hiden:
I killed Vinland by using the Meat Cleaver, and roll-attacking him to death.  It was cheesy and glorious.
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #974 on: April 01, 2010, 08:22:27 PM »

Quote from: Eightball on April 01, 2010, 07:57:27 PM

Quote from: semiconscious on April 01, 2010, 05:17:39 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I killed Vinland by using the Meat Cleaver, and roll-attacking him to death.  It was cheesy and glorious.

Spoiler for Hiden:
That doesn't strike me as that cheesy.  Isn't that what the Meat Cleaver's for?  slywink

DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #975 on: April 01, 2010, 08:39:36 PM »

Quote from: Hotfreak on April 01, 2010, 05:21:32 PM

Quote from: Jag on April 01, 2010, 03:20:49 PM

Any thoughts?

It definitely helps, but you should check out the wiki to make sure you don't "overupgrade" anything.  Sometimes, upgrading past a certain point will make it impossible to take the weapon along certain upgrade paths.  Up to +3 should be fine though.

Also, the winged spear makes a good early combo with the PF shield as you can poke with the spear while keeping the shield up.

Wiki: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/home

The wiki can deliver some spoilers, but overall, I think its help in avoiding pitfalls outweighs that fact in terms of fun factor.

Good advice, but the "impossible" part is not completely true. You can use "Melt" shards (I may have the name wrong) to clear any weapon of all its enhancements. You just lose all the stones you used to upgrade it to that point.
So it is painful, but not impossible. Better to use the guide and plan out your upgrade approach.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 08:41:39 PM by DamageInc » Logged

Jag

View Profile
« Reply #976 on: April 02, 2010, 01:22:51 PM »

I.HATE.TOWER.KNIGHT  icon_evil icon_evil icon_evil icon_evil

I read all the hints. Killed the xbowman and hacked at his legs. I just can't stay alive long enough. His AOE attacks always catch me. I even dropped the shield since it doesn't do anything against him. That sucker owes me over 10k souls. I guess I could try sniping him from up top. I just need to farm more arrows. Seems the cheesy way out for a melee class.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 01:24:43 PM by Jag » Logged
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #977 on: April 02, 2010, 02:05:54 PM »

Quote from: Jag on April 02, 2010, 01:22:51 PM

I read all the hints. Killed the xbowman and hacked at his legs. I just can't stay alive long enough. His AOE attacks always catch me. I even dropped the shield since it doesn't do anything against him. That sucker owes me over 10k souls. I guess I could try sniping him from up top. I just need to farm more arrows. Seems the cheesy way out for a melee class.

I just stayed right by his feet towards his back and hacked away.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #978 on: April 02, 2010, 02:20:12 PM »

I beat this guy melee, it can be done...even though it's more difficult than ranged.  Do you have a high dexterity (I think that's what it is, the green bar?)  I pumped that stat full and it helped me big time.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #979 on: April 02, 2010, 09:03:21 PM »

If you hate the Tower Knight...just wait for Flamelurker...
RedJak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #980 on: April 03, 2010, 11:04:08 AM »

I completely chumped the Tower Knight as a Mage.   I had already gotten the poison cloud spell.  I wiped out the crossbowmen and then just got as close as I needed to poison him and ran and hid until it wore off.  Rinsed and repeated. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #981 on: April 16, 2010, 01:01:24 PM »

June 25th finally for PAL version

from Kotaku
"Black Phantom Edition", which includes not only the game, but a soundtrack, a book and strategy guide as well. These are apparently new, as well, not the same as those bundled with the US edition.

wow,could a PS3 game actually be on the cards for me???

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #982 on: April 16, 2010, 01:36:46 PM »

I love this game more and more even as it beats me to a quivering, sweaty mess.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #983 on: April 16, 2010, 02:12:19 PM »

Finished God of War 2.  Have spent 25 minutes on God of War 3. Game time is almost Nil.

I will return to you my precious love, but we must be patient as we await the proper time for our reunion.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #984 on: April 18, 2010, 11:44:30 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 16, 2010, 01:01:24 PM

June 25th finally for PAL version

from Kotaku
"Black Phantom Edition", which includes not only the game, but a soundtrack, a book and strategy guide as well. These are apparently new, as well, not the same as those bundled with the US edition.

wow,could a PS3 game actually be on the cards for me???

Damn that looks hot!
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #985 on: May 05, 2010, 03:49:18 PM »

This is now under $40 at Amazon, plus I had a $10 credit towards a video game, so I got this last week.  I held off so long because of the emphasis in everything I've read on how hard this game is.  But, it's a ton of fun (in addition to being very hard).

I've started/restarted several characters already and this game constantly makes me its bitch.  Using all I know from my previous playthroughs, plus some spoilerish beginner tips found online, I took a Royal to 1-2 and killed the red dragon with Soul Arrow (it took forever) and I'm now equipped with the Purple shield and a +2 Winged Spear, with the trusty Soul Arrow spell as my alternate attack.  I was feeling fairly invulnerable.  So I made my way towards the Tower Knight, but as I got to the end of the bridge a non-stop barrage of arrows, followed by two blue-eyed knights and I'm dead. 

After that, my biggest problem is myself - as I try to force myself back to where I died, I get careless and try to half-ass my way through some "trivial" battles and die.  Oops, my bad. 

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #986 on: May 05, 2010, 07:07:11 PM »

I wouldn't worry too much souls at that low of level. Just consider is a learning experience.

Also that strategy guide cover is awesome. I'm jealous.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #987 on: May 05, 2010, 07:17:08 PM »

Quote from: Tscott on May 05, 2010, 03:49:18 PM

After that, my biggest problem is myself - as I try to force myself back to where I died, I get careless and try to half-ass my way through some "trivial" battles and die.  Oops, my bad.

yep - probably the single-biggest mistake you can make in the game smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Tscott
Gaming Trend Reader

It's making me blue

View Profile
« Reply #988 on: May 05, 2010, 07:30:36 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on May 05, 2010, 07:07:11 PM

I wouldn't worry too much souls at that low of level. Just consider is a learning experience.

Also that strategy guide cover is awesome. I'm jealous.
Yeah, I'm not worrying myself too much about 1500 or so souls. That's not even enough to level me up anymore.  

I did have a very tense journey once, right after I killed the red dragon: when I backtracked to his lair to get the shield, the other dragon killed me with its tail.  I was verrrry careful going back, and took health whenever I was mildly injured, because I didn't want to lose the 10,000+ souls I'd left soaking in my bloodstain.  Luckily I did get those souls back, and it was just enough to raise my STR up to 22 to use the shield.

I've just got the normal edition of the game, so I'm jealous of the strategy guide too.  I wish there was one available for purchase separately.  Until then, http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/ seems to do the trick.

Mr. Horrible says, "I don't mind. The thing that bothers me is someone keeps moving my chair."
-TMBG
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #989 on: May 14, 2010, 03:01:26 AM »

Victory! 42 hours played and I finally beat the game today.  thumbsup Already starting up NG+ but that's going to fall to the side once I get Red Dead.  nod
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #990 on: May 14, 2010, 03:47:38 PM »

Quote from: Octavious230 on May 14, 2010, 03:01:26 AM

Victory! 42 hours played and I finally beat the game today.  thumbsup Already starting up NG+ but that's going to fall to the side once I get Red Dead.  nod

Congrats!

Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #991 on: May 14, 2010, 10:57:26 PM »

Quote from: Octavious230 on May 14, 2010, 03:01:26 AM

Very nice Octavious! Congratulations!

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #992 on: May 15, 2010, 02:46:55 AM »

I can't believe how much I love this game. I never finish anything let alone want to keep on playing it after I finish it.  icon_eek icon_lol The only thing in the entire game that annoys me is the way you lose loot if you try to pick it up and don't have enough space. I lost half a suit of armor because I couldn't carry it all. frown
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #993 on: May 15, 2010, 04:45:31 AM »

Quote from: Octavious230 on May 15, 2010, 02:46:55 AM

I can't believe how much I love this game.

same - still my #1 this generation. congrats!...

Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #994 on: May 17, 2010, 02:51:37 AM »

Cleared all of 2 and 1-1 and 1-2 on NG+. Since it's been a while since I've hit some of these levels it still feels pretty fresh. I killed the Tower Knight in 3 shots after he fell down. That felt GOOD!  icon_lol
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #995 on: May 17, 2010, 08:21:46 PM »

Yeah, this ranks as one of my favorite SP games of all time.

Octavious230

View Profile
« Reply #996 on: May 17, 2010, 08:46:26 PM »

Reading the wiki I realized that I could get the ring of herculean strength if I just talk to the darn stockpile guy. Only took me over a game to figure that one out. Would have been real nice to have in my first play.  crybaby
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #997 on: May 19, 2010, 12:09:44 PM »

So I've finally thrown my hat into the ring and bought the game off of someone in the forums.  It's on its way so I thought I would do a little preparation while I wait.  Can someone recommend something worth reading that will help me get off to a running start with some helpful advice but not too many spoilers?  I'm thinking that the wiki would make for pretty dry reading and be full of spoilers and this thread is probably great but it's 25 pages long smile
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #998 on: May 19, 2010, 02:16:12 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on May 19, 2010, 12:09:44 PM

I'm thinking that the wiki would make for pretty dry reading and be full of spoilers...

the wiki is not dry reading, &, by checking out only whatever it is you need clarified, it's not full of spoilers. it's been the go-to source of helpful info for just about everyone playing the game...

iow, stop 'thinking', & just check it out smile ...

Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #999 on: May 19, 2010, 02:29:13 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on May 19, 2010, 02:16:12 PM

Quote from: Canuck on May 19, 2010, 12:09:44 PM

I'm thinking that the wiki would make for pretty dry reading and be full of spoilers...

the wiki is not dry reading, &, by checking out only whatever it is you need clarified, it's not full of spoilers. it's been the go-to source of helpful info for just about everyone playing the game...

iow, stop 'thinking', & just check it out smile ...
I wouldn't get too hung up on getting spoiled for this game either.  Most of the time it's a very good trade off.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: