http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 03:40:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Demon's Souls PS3 US version  (Read 47046 times)
RuperT
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: January 19, 2010, 06:20:08 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 19, 2010, 04:57:45 AM

Well I just spent a good part of 2 hours trying to kill the red eyed knight in the first section and was unable to do so.  I finally gave up and checked the wiki and it says to skip him on your first play through =\
I made a special effort to kill him earlier than I should've, and the damned gate behind him wouldn't open (it did at some point later I guess).
I absolutely believe Demon's Souls is a lot more fun with free usage of the Wiki; you gain a lot more fun than you lose to spoilers I think.  At least check your weapon upgrade paths; your rogue will be pissed you've been dropping loot in favor of greystone.
Finally, nobody answered my challenge!  How many souls have you lost in one death?  Beat 80000, please...  I'm not proud.

Live: MooseFoe
PSN: Rupyrt
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #841 on: January 19, 2010, 07:46:30 AM »

Ok I beat the Phalanx in 1-1 and talked to the Monumental.  Now what?!  retard
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: January 19, 2010, 12:42:29 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 19, 2010, 07:46:30 AM

Ok I beat the Phalanx in 1-1 and talked to the Monumental.  Now what?!  retard

whatever you want smile . you've unlocked 1-2, & the first level of the other 4 archstones - time to slay some demons & start building your character...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #843 on: January 19, 2010, 01:02:29 PM »

I too defeated the Tower Knight with a Falchion!

Quote from: leo8877 on January 19, 2010, 04:57:45 AM

Well I just spent a good part of 2 hours trying to kill the red eyed knight in the first section and was unable to do so.  I finally gave up and checked the wiki and it says to skip him on your first play through =\

Sorry Leo! We talked about that a few pages back....about skipping him.

Also, at least on my playthrough, there was a note left by someone that said new players should come back later...not sure if notes are consistent from player to player or not...but after I died 3 times to that guy, I ran and got my souls back and left.

Ok I beat the Phalanx in 1-1 and talked to the Monumental.  Now what?!  

You can go back to that same opening and begin at the next archstone which leads to...BUM BUM BUHHHH a very nasty bad guy or  you can go up the steps a bit in the nexus and go to the next one. There are some simple guys to kill in 2-1 and some not so simple ones.

I personally spent a couple hours just honing my combat and killing the guys in 1-1 over and over to build up my soul level.  

I'm at 22 right now and I still feel like I have a pretty weak character.

Questions: I still have yet to come across any weapons that are like 'aha! this is much better than what I have'. Should I go ahead and level up what I got or wait? I'm typically a hoarder of all upgrades in games cause I always think there will be a better time to use them...

Also, I have found no armor whatsoever- other than what I started with.  Everything I've found in shops is plate and based on what you guys have said- I'm guessing reduces my mobility.

Can you have more than one spell active at once? Can I cast water shield or whatever and then switch back to soul arrow? Or is it one at a time.  Similarly, can I cast water shield and then equip a real shield or do I have to keep the....catalyst (?) in my hand?

« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 01:07:35 PM by SensuousLettuce » Logged
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: January 19, 2010, 01:23:57 PM »

why can't my priest equip anything that I have picked up? Rings / swords etc etc. Is it because I am in soul form? I am on 1-2 now.
Is it perhaps based on class - meaning that my priest cannot wear the thief's ring?

If so I may have to start over and play another character who can actually use the items I find.

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #845 on: January 19, 2010, 02:18:43 PM »

How are you trying to equip them. There are two screens. one is inventory where as far as I can tell you can't do anything but look at stuff and use items, and then there's the equip screen next to it where you have to go and highlight the slot, push the button and insert the equipment...
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #846 on: January 19, 2010, 02:54:50 PM »

i highlight the item in my inventory and press 'X'. The options are typically:
equip
drop
re-org

Equip is always greyed out?

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #847 on: January 19, 2010, 04:52:24 PM »

Quote from: Roman on January 19, 2010, 02:54:50 PM

equip
drop
re-org

You have to unequip something from that slot before you can equip.  It does not do it for you.
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #848 on: January 19, 2010, 05:03:48 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 19, 2010, 04:52:24 PM

Quote from: Roman on January 19, 2010, 02:54:50 PM

equip
drop
re-org

You have to unequip something from that slot before you can equip.  It does not do it for you.

Also, just use the equip screen, not the inventory screen.

As for weapons, you can do very well with whatever you want to use, ATB.  You can go ahead and upgrade your falchion if you're comfortable using it, and you can win using that.  However, it does slashing damage, which many monsters are resistant to, and there are better base curved swords (the kilij , and then a katana) as well.  That is, the falchion has a base damage of 85 (plus bleed), and the kilij has one of 90 (plus bleed).  But it's really no big deal.

Just note that due to enemy resists, sometimes it makes sense to carry several weapons.  I mean, my guy runs around with several weapons; a bow (totally necessary...it has zoom!), a knight's sword (best 1H longsword type), a mirdan hammer (sort of a blunt polearm), and a winged spear (piercing damage).  That way, I cover all the damage types, and can easily swap.

However, I've also used a mace, a morningstar, a longsword, a kilij, two handed swords, axes (one and two handed), unique weapons (hi to you, MEAT CLEAVER) etc.  I just try out them all to see which one fits my playstyle best.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #849 on: January 19, 2010, 06:18:17 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 19, 2010, 01:02:29 PM

Questions: I still have yet to come across any weapons that are like 'aha! this is much better than what I have'. Should I go ahead and level up what I got or wait? I'm typically a hoarder of all upgrades in games cause I always think there will be a better time to use them...

Also, I have found no armor whatsoever- other than what I started with.  Everything I've found in shops is plate and based on what you guys have said- I'm guessing reduces my mobility.

Can you have more than one spell active at once? Can I cast water shield or whatever and then switch back to soul arrow? Or is it one at a time.  Similarly, can I cast water shield and then equip a real shield or do I have to keep the....catalyst (?) in my hand?

1) go with eightball's advice (there's a nice magic-replenishing falchion early in 4-1, but beware the guy guarding it)...
2) there's an even more lightweight set of armor in 3-1...
3) you can cast a status spell & then use an attack spell, but i don't think you can over-lap status spells (have multiple status effects active at once) - i think the last one you cast overwrites the previous one (anyone confirm/deny this? - i never used a whole lotta magic smile ). & there's no need to keep the catalyst in your hand once you've used it...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #850 on: January 19, 2010, 09:11:39 PM »

Is there a general order in which it's best to do the levels?  For instance, do you do all of world 1, then world 2, etc., or do 1-1, then 2-1, then 3-1, etc?

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #851 on: January 19, 2010, 09:13:48 PM »

been a while since i played, but i unlocked the BS in, I think 2-1, first. He can upgrade more than the one in the nexus. After that I just went for whatever spells I wanted or areas like 4-2 to farm souls in quickly
Roman

View Profile
« Reply #852 on: January 19, 2010, 09:43:53 PM »

total idiot here Roll Eyes
Thanks - I went to the slot for my rings (fingers) and equiped from there. Now comes the decision to start over again based on the fact that I lost 2600 souls already.

Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #853 on: January 19, 2010, 11:00:29 PM »

Quote from: Roman on January 19, 2010, 09:43:53 PM

Now comes the decision to start over again based on the fact that I lost 2600 souls already.

I know 2600 souls sounds like a lot, but it's really not (there are mobs in 4-2 that will give you 2000-5000 souls each). It's certainly no reason to start over, if you like your character. You will gain and lose souls continuously throughout this game. Given that, there's nothing wrong with starting over. Just ask SL, as evident in his post earlier about clearing 1-1 in 25 minutes with a new character because he had a good feel for the combat and the level. Heck, one of my most enjoyable experiences in the game was creating a magician and then clearing 1-1 and Phalanx without using magic (just my short sword sword and leather shield and my extremely low melee stats). smile

So, start over if you wish, but not because of 2600 lost souls.

Just wait until my next post. smile

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #854 on: January 19, 2010, 11:14:08 PM »

Quote from: RuperT on January 19, 2010, 06:20:08 AM

Finally, nobody answered my challenge!  How many souls have you lost in one death?  Beat 80000, please...  I'm not proud.

I can't beat you, but I can come awfully close. smile

I lost 78,000 and change. I was in 3-1 in NG+. I was trying to rescure Sage Freke to get a new spell from one of my boss souls. I got careless trying to get the key to his cell and mis-timed things so that I had two Mind Flayers on me at once. No problem (or so I thought), I know 3-1 like the back of my hand, I can get those souls back easily. What I didn't remember is that I had a Ring of Avarice and a Fragrant Ring equipped and my Cling Ring still in my pocket (you know, because I know 3-1 inside and out smile ). I also forgot that you can't take anything for granted in Demon's Souls. I cruised through 3-1, heading for my souls, turned a familiar corner, and *bam* a single Mind Flayer hit me with a soul arrow and *bang*, I'm dead and thinking about those 78k+ souls that just went down the drain. smile

That's one thing I love about DS. You always have to stay alert and prepared.

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #855 on: January 19, 2010, 11:30:54 PM »

Quote from: Qantaga on January 19, 2010, 11:14:08 PM

Quote from: RuperT on January 19, 2010, 06:20:08 AM

I can't beat you, but I can come awfully close. smile

I lost 78,000 and change. I was in 3-1 in NG+. I was trying to rescure Sage Freke to get a new spell from one of my boss souls. I got careless trying to get the key to his cell and mis-timed things so that I had two Mind Flayers on me at once. No problem (or so I thought), I know 3-1 like the back of my hand, I can get those souls back easily. What I didn't remember is that I had a Ring of Avarice and a Fragrant Ring equipped and my Cling Ring still in my pocket (you know, because I know 3-1 inside and out smile ). I also forgot that you can't take anything for granted in Demon's Souls. I cruised through 3-1, heading for my souls, turned a familiar corner, and *bam* a single Mind Flayer hit me with a soul arrow and *bang*, I'm dead and thinking about those 78k+ souls that just went down the drain. smile

That's one thing I love about DS. You always have to stay alert and prepared.

Yeah, just when you think you're great...BAM.  You eat it.

Those stupid mind flayers...well every time I head into 3-1, I bring the anti-magic spell along.  Seriously...it's great how it makes them totally worthless.

Most I've lost was about 49k or so.  But that's like what...3 trips to 4-3?  No biggie.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #856 on: January 20, 2010, 01:36:37 AM »

I crushed the red-eyed knight under my boot. 2000+ souls for him? Yes please!

I then went and got enchant weapon.  icon_eek  Yowza!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #857 on: January 20, 2010, 02:34:53 AM »

Props to this game for level design.

Worked through Stonefang tunnel. Wonderful!  I love that so far- in the two maps I've investigated- there's a shortcut that takes alot of the work out of getting further into the map.

Props to this game for giving me a total failure of nerve.

Worked through Stonefang tunnel. My trepidations growing and growing and growing that I was going to stumble into something awful...and this is like 60 solid minutes invested...FINALLY! Get to the fog where the demon was.  Looked through it...saw what I thought were

Spoiler for Hiden:
glowing red eyes of what appears to be a very nasty knight

I looked at the 6k souls I had in the bank and beat a hasty retreat back to the nexxus. smile

Tomorrow I shall give it a go.

Just an awesome night playing through that level.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 02:42:50 AM by SensuousLettuce » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #858 on: January 20, 2010, 04:40:01 AM »

One of the best things about DS - it puts the fear for your life back into you.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #859 on: January 20, 2010, 07:17:56 AM »

So I get to the Armored spider in 2-1 and he whoops my ass...I'm playing melee, does that mean I'm hosed?
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #860 on: January 20, 2010, 11:20:57 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 20, 2010, 07:17:56 AM

So I get to the Armored spider in 2-1 and he whoops my ass...I'm playing melee, does that mean I'm hosed?

If that's the boss for  Stonefang then OMG SPOILER!  mad

And my guess is no. My guess is there are multiple ways to deal with each boss.  Perhaps you have the wrong type of weapon equipped? Or were unable to find the weak spot?

Question: Is there any reason not to use ephermeral stones to revive yourself in body form? I've had 4 of them and have used 3.  Any reason I should save them?
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #861 on: January 20, 2010, 12:52:45 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 20, 2010, 11:20:57 AM

Question: Is there any reason not to use ephermeral stones to revive yourself in body form? I've had 4 of them and have used 3.  Any reason I should save them?

better question: is there any reason to play in body form? smile most people (including myself) go thru most of the game in soul form - you're quieter, & cause a bit more damage. the best (& maybe only) reason to play in body form is that you can summon blue phantoms to help you (of course, playing in body form also opens you up to being invaded by black phantoms). to the extent that they're somewhat rare (tho i guess there's a trick to farming them in one particular spot in 5-2), & don't really benefit you that much (unless you actually do want some help / look forward to the excitement of being invaded), i'd say just pass on using them...

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #862 on: January 20, 2010, 01:57:21 PM »

What about having 30% more hit points?

You do more damage in spirit form?
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #863 on: January 20, 2010, 03:50:58 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 20, 2010, 01:57:21 PM

What about having 30% more hit points?

You do more damage in spirit form?

1) i guess i just considered my soul form hit point base my hit point base smile . yeah, it's lower than it could potentially be, but just accepting it, & playing within those bounds from the start felt okay to me (&, what with the relative scarcity of the stones, seemed to be the way the game was sorta structured to be played, anyway)...

2) yes, you do - not lots more, but definitely more...

Roman

View Profile
« Reply #864 on: January 20, 2010, 04:46:36 PM »

Question on walkthroughs for Demon’s Souls.
I have never used a walkthrough guide for any game that I have played but am using one for DS. I chose to refer to a WT because of the sheer complexity and volume of content in this title.

I am wondering if I am cheating myself in terms of a gaming experience here? I mean without it I would have never known how to get the ‘Thief’s Ring’
Spoiler for Hiden:
“jump off stairs onto ledge and jump down to platform where Ostravia is waiting….”
But that would mean that I would have missed out on a significant find that would only serve to help me later in the game.
I like to explore and note that there are some areas that the WT make no mention of (at least in my current location) and wonder if I am missing out – or are they simply trying to save me from dying too early. And yes I am looking at you
Spoiler for Hiden:
Red Eyed Knight
in 1-2?
Thoughts?

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #865 on: January 20, 2010, 04:51:00 PM »

I'm using the walkthrough periodically.  For a game this unforgiving, I don't care to figure it out while I re-do a level for the 100th time.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #866 on: January 20, 2010, 05:23:13 PM »

I'm avoiding walkthroughs except for mechanics (how magic works etc).

I ask my specific questions here.

I'm probably missing stuff, but that's what a second playthrough is for smile
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #867 on: January 20, 2010, 05:37:31 PM »

there was no walkthru when i played the chinese version, so i never had much of a choice smile . the community on the neogaf ds thread was/is awesome, afa sharing tips & not spoiling spoilers slywink , & the wiki, once started, came together pretty fast...

i think sl's taking a good approach - much of the pleasure of the game is in the exploration. & you can always check the wiki's walkthru of a particular level, once you've cleared it, to see what you might've missed (& just go back & grab it)...

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #868 on: January 20, 2010, 05:44:02 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on January 20, 2010, 05:37:31 PM

there was no walkthru when i played the chinese version, so i never had much of a choice smile

Damn. You, sir, are the definition of hardcore.

Your anticipation of this game was that much? If so, why? I'd never heard about it
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #869 on: January 20, 2010, 06:42:36 PM »

Stupid spider.  mad
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #870 on: January 20, 2010, 06:52:35 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 20, 2010, 05:44:02 PM

Quote from: semiconscious on January 20, 2010, 05:37:31 PM

there was no walkthru when i played the chinese version, so i never had much of a choice smile

Damn. You, sir, are the definition of hardcore.

Your anticipation of this game was that much? If so, why? I'd never heard about it

chinese adventures here (& trust me, there're no badass black phantoms like chinese badass black phantoms smile )...

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #871 on: January 20, 2010, 08:15:27 PM »

So how do i go up or down in the tower of latria?  I remember passing a broken railing. Am I supposed to jump down?
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #872 on: January 20, 2010, 08:32:50 PM »

And where on earth does one find arrows!?
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #873 on: January 20, 2010, 08:37:45 PM »

1) um, stairways? smile . & sometimes passages (check as many cells as you can)...
2) buy'm in the nexus (eventually, they're cheaper elsewhere)...

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #874 on: January 20, 2010, 10:07:03 PM »

Okay, I will be deciding - fairly soon - whether my next game will be Demon's Souls, or Assassin's Creed II... and I need to read the two threads to see what will be best for me.  So, I'm basically "bookmarking" these threads by replying, to help me decide.

Okay, the rest of you - carry on!

icon_razz

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #875 on: January 20, 2010, 11:18:01 PM »

Well I got a big ass Iron Shield and it helps immensely with fighting guys melee (my current route of choice).  I barely budge when hit.  I also pumped some points into endurance so I can have more moves to use before fatigue, that helps a ton, too.

As for how I am going to beat that spider, I have no friggen clue.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #876 on: January 21, 2010, 12:10:04 AM »

What's your soul level at Leo? I'm at 28...
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #877 on: January 21, 2010, 12:32:37 AM »

The spider is dead!
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #878 on: January 21, 2010, 01:59:08 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 21, 2010, 12:10:04 AM

What's your soul level at Leo? I'm at 28...

I am only at 18 =\
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #879 on: January 21, 2010, 03:09:15 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 21, 2010, 12:32:37 AM

The spider is dead!

thumbsup

hopefully, you unlocked ed the blacksmith along the way:

Spoiler for Hiden:
bring him the 2-2 boss soul, & he'll take care of all your regular & unique weapon/armor upgrade needs...

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: