http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 08:23:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Demon's Souls PS3 US version  (Read 46288 times)
semiconscious
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: October 16, 2009, 04:28:02 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 16, 2009, 03:23:32 PM

I'd have played more if I hadn't wasted time trying to find the Monumental.  I was expecting something else and ran by her a few times  icon_redface

oh, umbasa! smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
maccwerk
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 16, 2009, 04:28:36 PM »

I don't know...I got struck with the Forum Effect and picked up the Collectors Edition (soundtrack, strat guide, etc..).  I REALLLLLY want to like this game, but I'm getting my a#@ handed to me already, and I've barely cracked the surface...Playing as a Royal, and love the Soul Arrow--definitely helps, but I don't know if I have the patience to deal with repeating resetting levels to memorize the layouts.  Back in the day, sure, but now, my gaming session time is limited as is, and I like to feel like I'm making progress when I play a game...I'm not getting that feeling too much with DS...I'll probably give this another shot this weekend, but I think this one may end up in the FS/FT forum before long...
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 16, 2009, 04:56:09 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on October 12, 2009, 05:15:09 PM

Quote from: Qantaga on October 12, 2009, 03:19:40 PM

I haven't tried the dragon yet (I will soon, now that I have the Composite Bow), but I'm having a bear of a time with the TK:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I can get in, get up the stairs and take out the archers with no problem. However, the big dude himself is causing me grief. I have my Soul Arrow, but I can't find a place up top where I can cast it at him (or use my bow on him) without him being able to hit me with his ranged lightning/ice thing. If I run down to the courtyard to try to engage him, I'm able to get around behind him and I can even knock him to one knee, but I'm having a hard time judging when he's going to do his earthquake shiver thing and he's killing me before I can get him down past 75% or so. I keep hearing that TK is a piece of cake, but at the moment it's an old, moldy, hard-as-rock cake for me. smile

The cool thing is that I don't mind trying it over and over and over until I figure it out.

Spoiler for Hiden:
if you're not burdened with armor, try some hit'n'run. what i'll do is dash/roll down the stairs, loop around him, move in & take some whacks, then run off up the stairs, heal, & repeat - unless, of course, i get lucky (which i did) & get in enough shots at once so's to bring him down (at which point, go for his head!)...

i understand why some people cheap kill this boss, but he is really satisfying to bring down via melee smile ...

Woot!

I got home a little earlier than expected and was able to jump back in.

TK is down! smile

I took your advice semi and it worked like a charm.
Spoiler for Hiden:
It turned into a long fight for me and I used almost every grass (of any type) that I had, but when I finally dropped him to the ground and pummeled his head, it was a big rush! As you suggested, I took out the archers, then I would time a sprint around to his ankles, whack him a couple of times and sprint back to the stairs. What a great feeling to have finally disposed of the big fella.

Now, look out red dragon. smile

Quote from: maccwerk on October 16, 2009, 04:28:36 PM

I don't know...I got struck with the Forum Effect and picked up the Collectors Edition (soundtrack, strat guide, etc..).  I REALLLLLY want to like this game, but I'm getting my a#@ handed to me already, and I've barely cracked the surface...Playing as a Royal, and love the Soul Arrow--definitely helps, but I don't know if I have the patience to deal with repeating resetting levels to memorize the layouts.  Back in the day, sure, but now, my gaming session time is limited as is, and I like to feel like I'm making progress when I play a game...I'm not getting that feeling too much with DS...I'll probably give this another shot this weekend, but I think this one may end up in the FS/FT forum before long...

It's definitely an acquired taste maccwerk. I hope it will come around for you when you try it again this weekend. It is tough and it takes awhile to feel like you're making progress, but when you do make progress, the payoff is huge. What really helped me was when others here suggested thinking of it as a rogue-like, where you know you're going to die, but the fun is in seeing how far you can get before you do. It may not turn out to be your cup of tea, but I hope it will click for you, since you say that you really want to like the game.             

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 16, 2009, 06:49:39 PM »

Batman: AA was my shoe in for GOTY...until this game came out.  I can't seem to stop playing!   icon_biggrin

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: October 16, 2009, 06:51:30 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on October 16, 2009, 01:25:57 PM

Quote from: jersoc on October 16, 2009, 10:15:32 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on October 16, 2009, 12:07:57 AM

w00t!  just scored a copy!

bah!  the battery in my controller is dead.  looks like I'll have to wait.

mine died RIGHT before a boss fight once. I think I got lucky. How the bloody hell does this thing charge anyways? I don't know if I'm missing something but it wont charge after i put my ps3 into stand by. I had to hook up to my computer and charge a bit.

The PS3 has to be on to charge a controller. I ended up buying an 'external' charger, there are several to choose from. Or you can charge it on your computer.

wtf...is this 1990? that's the most asinine thing ever.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 16, 2009, 07:01:34 PM »

Quote from: Qantaga on October 16, 2009, 04:56:09 PM

Woot!

I got home a little earlier than expected and was able to jump back in.

TK is down! smile

smile (&, as always, 'real demon's souls starts here'...)

Quote from: maccwerk on October 16, 2009, 04:28:36 PM

I don't know...I got struck with the Forum Effect and picked up the Collectors Edition (soundtrack, strat guide, etc..).  I REALLLLLY want to like this game, but I'm getting my a#@ handed to me already, and I've barely cracked the surface...Playing as a Royal, and love the Soul Arrow--definitely helps, but I don't know if I have the patience to deal with repeating resetting levels to memorize the layouts.  Back in the day, sure, but now, my gaming session time is limited as is, and I like to feel like I'm making progress when I play a game...I'm not getting that feeling too much with DS...I'll probably give this another shot this weekend, but I think this one may end up in the FS/FT forum before long...

well, the good news is, you can't say you weren't warned smile ...

while the satisfaction is every bit as great as the challenge, the challenge is every bit as great as the satisfaction. if you can't get it together to at least get thru 1-1 (which basically serves as an opportunity to familiarize yourself with how both the game & your character plays), at which point you can at least begin reaping the rewards of building your character up, i'm thinking it's definitely not for you - aside from a few cool items, any instant gratification, or sense of progress, to be gotten from hanging out in the kingdom of boletaria can only be gotten once you've cleared 1-1...

Quote from: hepcat on October 16, 2009, 06:49:39 PM

Batman: AA was my shoe in for GOTY...until this game came out.  I can't seem to stop playing!   icon_biggrin

i thought back in march that this might be my goty... &, now most of the way thru uncharted 2, i'm still thinking that smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: October 16, 2009, 07:06:13 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on October 16, 2009, 06:51:30 PM

w00t!  just scored a copy!

bah!  the battery in my controller is dead.  looks like I'll have to wait.

mine died RIGHT before a boss fight once. I think I got lucky. How the bloody hell does this thing charge anyways? I don't know if I'm missing something but it wont charge after i put my ps3 into stand by. I had to hook up to my computer and charge a bit.

The PS3 has to be on to charge a controller. I ended up buying an 'external' charger, there are several to choose from. Or you can charge it on your computer.

How is that any different from the 360 controller with the rechargeable battery pack? You either have to cable it up with that 'charge and play' kit and the console has to be on, or you get an external charger (which is what I ended up doing for my 360).

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: October 16, 2009, 07:42:28 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on October 16, 2009, 07:06:13 PM

How is that any different from the 360 controller with the rechargeable battery pack? You either have to cable it up with that 'charge and play' kit and the console has to be on, or you get an external charger (which is what I ended up doing for my 360).

If you turn off the 360 while the play-n-charge cable is plugged in it still charges the battery.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 16, 2009, 07:45:31 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 16, 2009, 03:16:39 PM

You can charge the controller through the 360, IIRC.

Thanks, guys (especially Damage), for the 4-1 help.  I didn't have a lot of time yesterday when I posted, and I should have waited, but I was able to focus a little more last night and did the drop off, now I've got to slog back.  Skeletons are a bit of a PITA (though that tip with the BK was a life saver, or it would have been - wasted a lot of souls on that guy before I saw it) as are the corridors with my halbred, but it's doable.

Question:
Spoiler for Hiden:
On that short cut you don't like, Damage, what's the glowing floor button do?  I'm afraid to cross it.

Also, I hope I actually need the smelly ring.  As a Temple Knight, I'm worried I'm not dipping into MP with spells.  I saw there's a holy ring or something, too.  Looks like that just gives me an extra spell slot, though, so I think I'll be okay.  Wish I could wear rings on every finger.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The switches on the floor activate the Holy Arrow attack from the wall. You can block them with the shield. I think I know why I originally got killed. I got hit by one arrow the other day while farming. If you are on the left side or get turned a tiny bit there is enough space for the arrow to get by the shield and hit you. Just stay to the middle or middle right and you will block the arrows everytime.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: October 16, 2009, 07:49:37 PM »

Yeah, the ability of the 360 controller to recharge at the end of the gaming session is a big deal.  Because the PS3 won't auto-off when the controller is done charging, I always bring it into the other room and plug it into the PC to charge.  Then forget about that, and have to make a second trip back to the PC because I forgot it was there and not in the living room.  And of course, with the PS3, you don't have the option to swap in regular batteries in a pinch.  Last night I went to start a session, and found my batteries were dead, so had to dig out the USB extension cable and run it across the room to play.

DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: October 16, 2009, 07:55:56 PM »

Finally got my Sticky Long Compound Bow!!!
I had enough Spider Stones to make a +4

At +4 it does more damage than the +3 Long Compound Bow
At +4 it has an "A" rating for Dex so I guess you don't get the "S" rating until +5 which makes sense.
Add Heavy Arrows and this thing does some nice damage.

Here is the stone progression for the +5 Sticky Long Compound Bow.

+1 --> 3 Shards of Spider Stones
+2 --> 4 Shards of Spider Stones
+3 --> 6 Shards of Spider Stones and 1 Chunk of Spider Stones
+4 --> 6 Shards of Spider Stones and 3 Chunks of Spider Stones
+5 --> 6 Shards of Spider Stones and 5 Chunks of Spider Stones and 1 Pure Spider Stone

This progression is probably similar for other quality weapons that require the 25/9/1 formula

All I need is the remaining 5 Chunks of Spider Stone, but it appears to be a hard drop to get. I farmed 2-1 and 2-2 for about 8 hours and I got 28 Shards and 2 Chunks
I got the Pure, 2 Chunks and a few Shards when I killed a Crystal Lizard and the Spider Boss(Pure) The rest is from the Miners in those two areas.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 16, 2009, 07:56:50 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on October 16, 2009, 07:42:28 PM

If you turn off the 360 while the play-n-charge cable is plugged in it still charges the battery.

yeah, this is why I couldn't understand why my ps3 controller wasn't recharging. I guess I figured Sony knew technology too.

hehe chaz, I had to plug mine into the computer and sit on my computer chair to play for an hour.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 07:59:48 PM by jersoc » Logged
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 16, 2009, 08:12:10 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on October 16, 2009, 07:42:28 PM

Hmmm, ok, didn't see any mention of that when I checked the MS site before posting. However, just found this little blurb on Amazon for the kit:

"Recharge while you play Don't miss a thing! Recharge while you play or when your Xbox 360 is in standby mode."

So that's good to know. I was a little bummed when I found the USB ports weren't powered when the PS3 is in standby mode, but I could understand that and the external charger works just fine for me.

I seem to remember it coming with a USB cable... kind of short but technically you could use that to 'charge and play'.  icon_wink
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 08:14:26 PM by MonkeyFinger » Logged

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 16, 2009, 08:16:40 PM »

Got the Sticky Long Compound Bow +3 last night myself...and there's a phrase I never thought I'd utter in mixed company.   icon_eek

Anyway, I have a Secret Dagger +3 and I don't see any choice to branch off to the "sharp, quality, fine, etc." branches when i visit ed with it.  is there something I'm missing?

oh, and what's the deal with armor?  i have the black leather set that a thief starts with, but I never see any other sets other than the base ones from the other classes.  since you can't upgrade armor, I'm assuming there's some special sets in the game somewhere?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 16, 2009, 08:22:56 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on October 16, 2009, 08:16:40 PM

Got the Sticky Long Compound Bow +3 last night myself...and there's a phrase I never thought I'd utter in mixed company.   icon_eek

Anyway, I have a Secret Dagger +3 and I don't see any choice to branch off to the "sharp, quality, fine, etc." branches when i visit ed with it.  is there something I'm missing?

oh, and what's the deal with armor?  i have the black leather set that a thief starts with, but I never see any other sets other than the base ones from the other classes.  since you can't upgrade armor, I'm assuming there's some special sets in the game somewhere?

According to the DE guide you should have 3 choices off the +3 Secret Dagger.

Quality requires Clearstones, Mercury requires Mercurystones (what a shocker), and Fatal requires Marrowstones

The quality version can be made be either Boldwin or Ed, but the other two can only be made by Ed in 2-1 (The same guy that makes the Sticky bow)

The book does list some special sets, but doesn't specify who they are for.
Spoiler for Hiden:
There is a Rogue set (Female only) mentioned in 3-1, 2F, East on a corpse, but it only shows up in Pure White WT.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 08:29:51 PM by DamageInc » Logged

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: October 16, 2009, 08:38:07 PM »

Annoyingly, I just got the long compound bow.  Why annoyingly?  Because I've already upgraded my short compound bow to +2.  Could be worse, I suppose.  However, I'm finding the 1-1 into 1-2 run doesn't give as many hard shards as I would like (I'm lucky if I get 1/run).  That's a little frustrating.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 16, 2009, 08:59:14 PM »

In 2-1, Hardstone Shards are not only tumbling out of every fourth enemy you kill, there's a merchant that sells them for 500 Souls a piece.

-Autistic Angel
iloveplywood
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 16, 2009, 09:09:54 PM »

Okay, this might be a dumb question, but here it goes.  Do people here think that DS would be worthwhile for someone that is a horrible at games and will probably lose interest in 20-30 hours?  I don't mind not finishing it if I have a good time for the 20 hours or so I do play it.  The reason I feel compelled to try the game is I like the idea, in theory, of real tension in a game.  It reminds me a little of Diablo 1 when you actually had to go back down and get your stuff if you died or you lose it (a friend and I actually lost all our stuff once --hence the "I'm horrible at games," comment).  Of course unlike Diable 1 there appears to be actual skill required to play the game.   
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 16, 2009, 09:36:20 PM »

Quote from: iloveplywood on October 16, 2009, 09:09:54 PM

Okay, this might be a dumb question, but here it goes.  Do people here think that DS would be worthwhile for someone that is a horrible at games and will probably lose interest in 20-30 hours?  I don't mind not finishing it if I have a good time for the 20 hours or so I do play it.  The reason I feel compelled to try the game is I like the idea, in theory, of real tension in a game.  It reminds me a little of Diablo 1 when you actually had to go back down and get your stuff if you died or you lose it (a friend and I actually lost all our stuff once --hence the "I'm horrible at games," comment).  Of course unlike Diable 1 there appears to be actual skill required to play the game.   

I would rent it first if you have that option. I found enjoyment in the first 20 to 30 hours. Evasion and timing require skill, but the game is more patience and understanding how enemy NPCs operate.
So far I don't think it is very hard. Challenging yes, hard no. Initially it can be hard, but once you start leveling up and getting the feel for it it becomes quite easy.

When I go to a new area it can be hard because I haven't learned yet, but I almost never get hit in the areas I farm all the time. Once you learn the patterns it is mostly repetition.

I consider myself to be average at best with video games.

iloveplywood
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 16, 2009, 09:52:44 PM »

Gracias -- I think I will try renting it.  At least once I finish Uncharted 2. I keep reading about people quitting this game out of frustration and breaking their controllers . . .  but hopefully knowing that I'm going to die a lot will keep the frustration level to swearing inanely at my TV level. 
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 16, 2009, 10:01:33 PM »

Red Dragon down.

Quote from: semiconscious on October 16, 2009, 07:01:34 PM

(&, as always, 'real demon's souls starts here'...)

Umbasa. smile

~Switchfoot
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 16, 2009, 10:03:24 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on October 16, 2009, 09:36:20 PM

Quote from: iloveplywood on October 16, 2009, 09:09:54 PM

I would rent it first if you have that option. I found enjoyment in the first 20 to 30 hours. Evasion and timing require skill, but the game is more patience and understanding how enemy NPCs operate.
So far I don't think it is very hard. Challenging yes, hard no. Initially it can be hard, but once you start leveling up and getting the feel for it it becomes quite easy.

When I go to a new area it can be hard because I haven't learned yet, but I almost never get hit in the areas I farm all the time. Once you learn the patterns it is mostly repetition.

I consider myself to be average at best with video games.

I basically feel the same way.

Quote from: Autistic Angel on October 16, 2009, 08:59:14 PM

In 2-1, Hardstone Shards are not only tumbling out of every fourth enemy you kill, there's a merchant that sells them for 500 Souls a piece.

-Autistic Angel

I still didn't get a lot of hard shards in 2-1, but I didn't think of buying them.  I may give that another run.  Literally, everything I use takes the hard shards.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 16, 2009, 10:38:30 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on October 16, 2009, 08:59:14 PM

-Autistic Angel

I still didn't get a lot of hard shards in 2-1, but I didn't think of buying them.  I may give that another run.  Literally, everything I use takes the hard shards.
[/quote]

He can also be found in 2-2 down aways from where Patches was. He sits at a deadend towards the left if you are facing outwards.
He sells the Large version of Sharpstones and Hardstones for 1500 each as well as 500 for the Shards. In 2-1 he only sells Shards.

DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 16, 2009, 10:58:11 PM »

Quote from: iloveplywood on October 16, 2009, 09:52:44 PM

Gracias -- I think I will try renting it.  At least once I finish Uncharted 2. I keep reading about people quitting this game out of frustration and breaking their controllers . . .  but hopefully knowing that I'm going to die a lot will keep the frustration level to swearing inanely at my TV level. 

Also, you may want to shy away from the Royal build initially. The walkthrough he discusses and the way he plays his Royal is for skilled players. You can always try it, but I would start off with something beefier.
You can still follow his walkthrough for the tactical aspect, but you will need to fight differently than he does.

Personally I tend to favor the block and parry approach versus the roll and evade style.

I would read through all the posts here and his FAQ if you don't initially get the DE guide if you are renting it. It helps a great deal.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 18, 2009, 02:59:21 PM »

w00t!  just scored a copy!

bah!  the battery in my controller is dead.  looks like I'll have to wait.

You can also charge it with the USB cable tied to a PC.  This is actually how I always charge my PS3 controllers.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 18, 2009, 03:00:45 PM »

I started playing as a Hunter and have been enjoying it so far.  My only question is about the souls...if I die in the soul world, do I lose them all?  What do you have to do to keep what you've gotten for good?

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
ericb

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 18, 2009, 03:23:44 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on October 18, 2009, 03:00:45 PM

I started playing as a Hunter and have been enjoying it so far.  My only question is about the souls...if I die in the soul world, do I lose them all?  What do you have to do to keep what you've gotten for good?

The only way to keep what you gather is to spend the souls.  Any other time and they are vulnerable.  I usually set goals and spend them before trying something new...I need 3000 souls to buy this so I'll grind to 3000, buy it and then go to the next level.  This is much harder as you level up and things get much more expensive (like leveling) but you should be better and die less at that point as well smile
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 18, 2009, 03:33:46 PM »

Quote from: ericb on October 18, 2009, 03:23:44 PM

Quote from: The Grue on October 18, 2009, 03:00:45 PM

I started playing as a Hunter and have been enjoying it so far.  My only question is about the souls...if I die in the soul world, do I lose them all?  What do you have to do to keep what you've gotten for good?

The only way to keep what you gather is to spend the souls.  Any other time and they are vulnerable.  I usually set goals and spend them before trying something new...I need 3000 souls to buy this so I'll grind to 3000, buy it and then go to the next level.  This is much harder as you level up and things get much more expensive (like leveling) but you should be better and die less at that point as well smile

I do the same thing. Farm and spend. I use the Souls for four things basically.

Increase stats
Buy upgrades
Repair Items
Buy Arrows

All my weapons and armor have been drops or on corpses. (Well I did buy the Leather Set just to have it)
I also purchased all the Miracles and Spells that you can buy with Souls, but that was a finite purchase as you have to trade Demon's Souls for the remaining ones.

I finally made a +5 Sticky Long Compound Bow! A good deal of grinding to get the last couple of pieces of the Chunk of Spiderstone.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 03:42:32 PM by DamageInc » Logged

DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 18, 2009, 03:47:06 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on October 16, 2009, 08:22:56 PM

Quote from: hepcat on October 16, 2009, 08:16:40 PM

Got the Sticky Long Compound Bow +3 last night myself...and there's a phrase I never thought I'd utter in mixed company.   icon_eek

Anyway, I have a Secret Dagger +3 and I don't see any choice to branch off to the "sharp, quality, fine, etc." branches when i visit ed with it.  is there something I'm missing?

According to the DE guide you should have 3 choices off the +3 Secret Dagger.

Quality requires Clearstones, Mercury requires Mercurystones (what a shocker), and Fatal requires Marrowstones

The quality version can be made be either Boldwin or Ed, but the other two can only be made by Ed in 2-1 (The same guy that makes the Sticky bow)

The book does list some special sets, but doesn't specify who they are for.
Spoiler for Hiden:
There is a Rogue set (Female only) mentioned in 3-1, 2F, East on a corpse, but it only shows up in Pure White WT.

I did think of something else, but I am not sure if it relates or not.
I'm not sure if you are still having issues getting the Secret Dagger upgraded.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm about to take on Flame Lurker so I am not positive about this. Flame Lurker's drop can be given to Blacksmith Ed as a mini-quest. Maybe this unlocks more upgrades?
When I go to him I can see all my available upgrade paths, but I don't use Daggers.

Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 18, 2009, 03:55:31 PM »

Still having a great time.

My Barb is beoming more and more balanced as I go. Her Str, End, and Vit are still her highest stats, but her Dex is slowly climbing and I'm working on making her more adept at magic and miracles, too. I have an armor set for higher armor, shield based combat and a set for high mobility, dash-roll-run combat. I am still lacking a decent blunt item, so I'm hoping I'll find one soon (those skellies in 4-1 are still a little tricky if I don't time them perfectly, so a blunt weapon would be a Godsend).

The silly Black Phantom in 3-1 gave me more trouble than it should have, but I finally slathered a little turpentine on my bastard sword and got some vengence there. smile

I finally took a little time to scan through the guide linked earlier in the thread to try to learn a little more about my weapons. It's time to start choosing the higher weapon speciality paths and I'm still a little uncertain about the implications.

I sure wish I would have read through the guide sooner. I saw a reference to the little sparkly dudes that I've seen running around in some of the levels. The guide continually says "whatever you do, DON'T scare them away." frown Well, I had no idea what they were. I had no clue that they dropped rare shards. Ah well, live and learn. Maybe I'll be able to go back and get them if I restart a level, but I haven't been able to reset the ones at the start of 2-1 or the one deep in 3-1 as yet. frown

There are probably references to them in this big, 'ole thread, but for those of you starting new, try not to startle the little, bitty sparkly things, if you see them. Target them with magic or with a bow.

I do have one question:

Now that I have rescued Sage Freke, he's offering me magic for some of the major demon's souls. For example. he offers a ward spell that significantly reduces physical damage in exchange for the Tower Knight's soul (supposed to be reminiscent of his big shield). I know that I'm supposed to hang on to the boss souls for upgrades, but I wanted to clarify if those upgrades come later for higher level weapons or if those upgrades are the type of things that Sage Freke is offering.

~Switchfoot
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: October 18, 2009, 04:09:29 PM »

Quote from: Qantaga on October 18, 2009, 03:55:31 PM

There are probably references to them in this big, 'ole thread, but for those of you starting new, try not to startle the little, bitty sparkly things, if you see them. Target them with magic or with a bow.

I do have one question:

Now that I have rescued Sage Freke, he's offering me magic for some of the major demon's souls. For example. he offers a ward spell that significantly reduces physical damage in exchange for the Tower Knight's soul (supposed to be reminiscent of his big shield). I know that I'm supposed to hang on to the boss souls for upgrades, but I wanted to clarify if those upgrades come later for higher level weapons or if those upgrades are the type of things that Sage Freke is offering.

never did very well with the crystal geckos, myself, tho they're very good sources of stone pieces...

afa sage freke, yeah, he, & 2 other spell teachers you can also rescue, are the real deals. the problem is, depending on what you wanna do, a demon's soul can get you either a weapon or sometimes one of 2 spells, but obviously can only be used once - so definitely check the wiki section before doing anything, & make sure you're getting whichever you want most...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 04:11:20 PM by semiconscious » Logged

DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 18, 2009, 04:18:32 PM »

Quote from: Qantaga on October 18, 2009, 03:55:31 PM

Still having a great time.

My Barb is beoming more and more balanced as I go. Her Str, End, and Vit are still her highest stats, but her Dex is slowly climbing and I'm working on making her more adept at magic and miracles, too. I have an armor set for higher armor, shield based combat and a set for high mobility, dash-roll-run combat. I am still lacking a decent blunt item, so I'm hoping I'll find one soon (those skellies in 4-1 are still a little tricky if I don't time them perfectly, so a blunt weapon would be a Godsend).

The silly Black Phantom in 3-1 gave me more trouble than it should have, but I finally slathered a little turpentine on my bastard sword and got some vengence there. smile

I finally took a little time to scan through the guide linked earlier in the thread to try to learn a little more about my weapons. It's time to start choosing the higher weapon speciality paths and I'm still a little uncertain about the implications.

I sure wish I would have read through the guide sooner. I saw a reference to the little sparkly dudes that I've seen running around in some of the levels. The guide continually says "whatever you do, DON'T scare them away." frown Well, I had no idea what they were. I had no clue that they dropped rare shards. Ah well, live and learn. Maybe I'll be able to go back and get them if I restart a level, but I haven't been able to reset the ones at the start of 2-1 or the one deep in 3-1 as yet. frown

I do have one question:

Spoiler for Hiden:
There's a +1 Blessed Mace in 5-1 on a corpse. I have been using it for quite awhile now. Does both Physical and Magic damage and provides HP regen

DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: October 18, 2009, 04:27:13 PM »

I have killed 5 Crystal Lizards so far. You get some nice stones. They do drop the rare ones, but it is rare when they do.  slywink

I have had a few escape on me too. They make a very distinct noise and they are very sparkly. When I see one I equip my bow.
I can two-shot them with my bow. (although I may be able to one-shot them now that I have the +5 Sticky Long Compound Bow) I have to get lucky and hope the second arrow gets there quickly.

Usually the first arrow will flip them over and then they flap around for a second or two. If I miss though they take off pretty quickly.

One thing I have noticed is that they will reload from a new game even if they escaped. I missed the one from the beginning of 2-1 the first time as I just ran up the hill not knowing there was one right there.
When I reloaded the next time I played he was there and I got a few Spiderstones from him.

Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 18, 2009, 04:40:48 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on October 18, 2009, 04:09:29 PM

never did very well with the crystal geckos, myself, tho they're very good sources of stone pieces...

afa sage freke, yeah, he, & 2 other spell teachers you can also rescue, are the real deals. the problem is, depending on what you wanna do, a demon's soul can get you either a weapon or sometimes one of 2 spells, but obviously can only be used once - so definitely check the wiki section before doing anything, & make sure you're getting whichever you want most...

Ok, thanks. I will definitely take a look through the wiki. It's a shame that there aren't any choices or decisions to be made in this game. slywink             

Quote from: DamageInc on October 18, 2009, 04:18:32 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
There's a +1 Blessed Mace in 5-1 on a corpse. I have been using it for quite awhile now. Does both Physical and Magic damage and provides HP regen

Ooooh, nice! I'll definitely head that way. That sounds like exactly what I need.       

Quote from: DamageInc on October 18, 2009, 04:27:13 PM

One thing I have noticed is that they will reload from a new game even if they escaped. I missed the one from the beginning of 2-1 the first time as I just ran up the hill not knowing there was one right there.
When I reloaded the next time I played he was there and I got a few Spiderstones from him.

That's good to know. I'll have to make sure to explore again on reloads from new games.

~Switchfoot
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 18, 2009, 04:57:00 PM »

Quote from: Qantaga on October 18, 2009, 04:40:48 PM

That's good to know. I'll have to make sure to explore again on reloads from new games.

just so's you know, they'll only reappear a finite number of times, after which they're gone for good...

Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: October 18, 2009, 05:02:12 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on October 18, 2009, 04:57:00 PM

just so's you know, they'll only reappear a finite number of times, after which they're gone for good...

Eek. I'll have to be careful, then. I think I've only seen the geckos in 2-1 and 3-1 once each (assuming I didn't zip right past them without noticing), so hopefully I still have another shot at them.

~Switchfoot
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 18, 2009, 06:07:04 PM »

Quote from: Qantaga on October 18, 2009, 05:02:12 PM

Quote from: semiconscious on October 18, 2009, 04:57:00 PM

Eek. I'll have to be careful, then. I think I've only seen the geckos in 2-1 and 3-1 once each (assuming I didn't zip right past them without noticing), so hopefully I still have another shot at them.

Each time you kill a major Demon it adds another respawn, but like Semi said it is finite.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 18, 2009, 07:28:56 PM »

Where can I buy items to cure the plague? I made it all the way to the boss of 3-1 only to have the black phantom give me that and I needed to evacuate before dying. So pissed.
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 18, 2009, 08:09:07 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on October 18, 2009, 07:28:56 PM

Where can I buy items to cure the plague? I made it all the way to the boss of 3-1 only to have the black phantom give me that and I needed to evacuate before dying. So pissed.

I'm not sure where you can buy them, but the item you're looking for is a Widow's Lotus. I've got a few that I've been getting from drops from the prisoner demons in the various cells. There's one cell in particular that has maybe 10 or so of those prisoner demons and I've built up a pretty good supply of all kinds of Lotus types from them.

Possible spoiler:

Spoiler for Hiden:
If you enter 3-1, then turn right and go through the door at the far end (the one that was originally locked) and then head up the stairs, when you come out into that hallway there will be one prisoner demon approaching you in the balcony pathway. Then, a little down past him on the left is the cell full of prisoner demons. I make sure to swat them every time I come in.

~Switchfoot
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 18, 2009, 08:16:56 PM »

Oh, I Know where you're talking about. I've killed them once, usually I just cloak and run by. I'll kill them a few times. Thanks.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: