http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 12:46:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Demigod  (Read 35386 times)
fyedaddy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ass

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2009, 03:40:00 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on April 14, 2009, 02:55:46 PM

The manual can found here for people still deciding:

http://www.stardock.com/demigodmanual.pdf

Thank you, that was helpful.

The strategy looks to be a little light. What are the thoughts here on that?

XBox Live ID: fyedaddy

"I give up - Go with the DS. It's far better."
"Nintendo is King, and anyone who says otherwise is wrong."
 --Devil
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2009, 04:46:06 PM »

OK i'll blame the forum effect and Jeff smile

Game is downloaded and just going in nwo impressions later

Impulse id talsworthy feel free to add me - Jeff what is your id?

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2009, 04:49:51 PM »

Quote from: fyedaddy on April 14, 2009, 03:40:00 PM

Quote from: Jeff on April 14, 2009, 02:55:46 PM

The manual can found here for people still deciding:

http://www.stardock.com/demigodmanual.pdf

Thank you, that was helpful.

The strategy looks to be a little light. What are the thoughts here on that?

I played a few games in the single player Tournament mode this morning, and I think most of the strategy comes from coordinating your skill development, army upgrades, and battlefield movements to complement your team members.  For example the Rook character I used seems ideal for anti-structure sieges and establishing defensive lines, so he would be a good teammate for someone with good anti-unit or stat-boosting abilities.

I have absolutely no idea who I am on Impulse, but I'm hoping to join up for some GT / OO tournaments! icon_cool

-Autistic Angel
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2009, 06:01:52 PM »

Thanks for the manual link, I was just whining elsewhere that I had no idea how to play or what was going on in the game lol.

Did anyone else have a horrible load time to start a battle?  I tried a SP tournament last night and it took like 5-10 minutes to load in.  I actually thought it had crashed.  But then this morning I did a skirmish and it loaded in seconds. 
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2009, 06:18:38 PM »

I believe the Day-0 patch was supposed to fix some performance related issues.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2009, 06:22:18 PM »

OK this is a lot of fun - not sure what the heck i'm doing but it seems fun. Almost quake style play in an rts type control mechanism. I need to read the manual as i'm not sure the relevance of all of the different items I can be going for.

Tips - people - Urgently!!

Performance wise - initial impressions on SP are it does hit the machine quite hard i've got a 3200+, 8800GT,2gb ram and most games such as WIC, Crysis breeze through this. However this game is challenging it more. I think literally due to the large amount of armies around at the moment.

Tals

Island Dog
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2009, 06:32:32 PM »

Well it's been "officially" released.  smile

Stardock announced today that its much anticipated PC real-time action strategy game, Demigod is now available for purchase at most retail outlets in North America as well as available worldwide digitally via Impulse at the same price ($39.95) no matter where the person is located.

Like all Stardock games, the retail version of the game contains no DRM or copy protection. It includes Impulse to allow users to update to the latest version or even re-download the entire game. Players can install the game on multiple computers via Impulse without a hassle.

For further details about Demigod, please visit www.demigodthegame.com.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2009, 06:55:26 PM »

Any plans of a demo, island dog? i didnt see anything about a demo in the thread. unless i missed it.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2009, 07:21:59 PM »

Basic gameplay tips

http://forums.demigodthegame.com/332105

good gameplay chat with Brad

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/289031.html
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 07:25:28 PM by Tals » Logged

Space Herpes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2009, 07:27:15 PM »

Quote from: madpeon on April 14, 2009, 03:00:45 PM

It's not really trying to be either of those genres. It's basically a commercialized Defense of the Ancients with more cool stuff and it works really well.

DoTA style games are generally considered 'Tower Push' I believe, since the whole objective is to push your opponents static defenses and eventually destroy their base. They aren't meant to be single player games anymore than Counterstrike is. They are best played with a good team that works together.

That all sounds really good for $20.  Call me spoiled, but for $40, I want full single and multiplayer.

See the Mr. Sticky Show!
http://one.revver.com/watch/261625
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2009, 07:39:31 PM »

Quote from: Space Herpes on April 14, 2009, 07:27:15 PM

Quote from: madpeon on April 14, 2009, 03:00:45 PM

It's not really trying to be either of those genres. It's basically a commercialized Defense of the Ancients with more cool stuff and it works really well.

DoTA style games are generally considered 'Tower Push' I believe, since the whole objective is to push your opponents static defenses and eventually destroy their base. They aren't meant to be single player games anymore than Counterstrike is. They are best played with a good team that works together.

That all sounds really good for $20.  Call me spoiled, but for $40, I want full single and multiplayer.

I'll call ya spoiled slywink

The multiplayer is what I want and I gladly paid $40 for it.  Single player is just a time passer when bored for me and the non-campaign tourney works fine for that.  Then again, I tend to skip cutscenes the first time through on games anyway.  I play games for the gameplay, I watch movies and read books for the stories.  If a game can tell a compelling story while I'm playing without cutscenes?...  I'm all over it because that's my ideal.
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2009, 07:54:38 PM »

Just got this one from impulse... Gonna get my feet wet in the single player before I hit up the multi, but my name on impulse is Zeuhl.
Space Herpes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2009, 08:24:05 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 14, 2009, 07:39:31 PM

I'll call ya spoiled slywink
Of ourse YOU would  Tongue
I'll just say I have standards.   retard

I had more to say, but I feel like I'm just repeating myself.
I will say for multiplayer only, if it offered hugely varied environments and different modes of play (varied gameplay such as UT having CTF and Assault), I'd consider it.

See the Mr. Sticky Show!
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2009, 08:26:13 PM »

There are 4 different game mode types and lots of maps (of course I will definitely concede that the maps wouldn't qualify as 'hugely varied' since they all follow the same general design rules)
Space Herpes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2009, 08:35:26 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 14, 2009, 08:26:13 PM

There are 4 different game mode types and lots of maps (of course I will definitely concede that the maps wouldn't qualify as 'hugely varied' since they all follow the same general design rules)

What are the different types and how do they alter the gameplay from each other?  I looked over the manual, but it wasn't really useful.

See the Mr. Sticky Show!
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2009, 08:36:31 PM »

Quote from: Space Herpes on April 14, 2009, 08:35:26 PM

What are the different types and how do they alter the gameplay from each other?  I looked over the manual, but it wasn't really useful.

Seriously? I don't even have the game and I can tell you the information is clearly laid out on page 7. smile
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2009, 08:39:54 PM »

yep, page 7.  in large print.  with LED lights.  and a siren.  and a midget with a banner.

Game Types
The Gods have arranged a number of different types of contests to take place in
the arena. In all cases, destroying the opponent’s Citadel will win the game. The
types of contests are:
• Conquest. Destroy the enemy’s Citadel to win.
• Dominate. Control the flags for a certain amount of time for victory.
• Slaughter. Attain victory by killing a set number of enemy Demigods.
• Fortress. Destroy your opponent’s fortresses to attain victory

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Space Herpes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2009, 08:48:45 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 14, 2009, 08:36:31 PM

Quote from: Space Herpes on April 14, 2009, 08:35:26 PM

Seriously? I don't even have the game and I can tell you the information is clearly laid out on page 7. smile

Doh!  I was looking on pg 15 in the multiplayer section.

See the Mr. Sticky Show!
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2009, 09:24:43 PM »

I continue to love the crap out of this game.  While I await mp to become more stable, I love trying different demigods and experimenting with different power/skill lines, and then mixing up my equipment and seeing how it shakes out.  It's also fun to try 2 on 2's (with 3 computer AI's for now) and seeing how different combinations/teams work.

That being said, I can understand how people may be a bit leery to try this game out.  As I sit here trying to explain why I like it so much, it's pretty hard to do.  It's not the deepest strategy game on the planet by a long shot.  But... there is something about it that is just so fun.  "One more skirmish" type of thing. 

Island Dog can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe coordinated multiplay is set up yet.  Example being that we get 4 GT'ers together and take on another team.  I think that could be really important for some folks if it indeed isn't in yet. 

At any rate, I'm not too sure how enticing the game would be to someone who wants a strong single-player experience.  If you aren't the type of person that loves skirmishing against the A.I., and you're not a big MP type player... I'm just not sure how long the single player tournament mode would float your boat.  Then again, I honestly didn't have a ton of confidence I would like the game all that much - and I was seriously mistaken... so who knows.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2009, 09:35:38 PM »

Pretty much agree 100% LD - if we could set up teams the game would be incredible. Is it just me or are their login serves buckling under the strain?

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2009, 09:54:57 PM »

My MP experience will probably be made or broken by how quickly they get coordinated teams in.  I have no desire to play solo or solo on a team of people I don't know.  I love team games, but I hate random noob teammates.  I prefer noobs I know. smile
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2009, 10:24:56 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 14, 2009, 09:54:57 PM

My MP experience will probably be made or broken by how quickly they get coordinated teams in.  I have no desire to play solo or solo on a team of people I don't know.  I love team games, but I hate random noob teammates.  I prefer noobs I know. smile

Likewise - although I suspect the gameplay in this like World in Conflict may allow for teams who don't know each other to coordinate - however I always prefer playing with fellow gamers from OO and GT

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2009, 06:46:31 AM »

Finally got into an MP game, very impressive and enjoyable. Before going in I would suggest reading this article

http://forums.demigodthegame.com/345345

Helped me sort out the connectivity - the information as the players connect proved very useful in understanding whether I had sorted it out.

In terms of getting together now we just need to find a time we're all available - games arn't that long so should be possible.

Tals

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2009, 07:34:31 AM »

There are times, when I really, really, REALLY hate you guys and the forum effect..

I'll be picking this up tonight..sigh...

A new one
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2009, 07:46:55 AM »

I think this could be worth it - game is good on the MP side, still trying to understand the generals but the assasins are easy to make use of.

Tals

vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2009, 01:11:14 PM »

http://www.scenegamer.com/featured/pc-review-demigod/
raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 15, 2009, 01:42:13 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on April 14, 2009, 09:24:43 PM

That being said, I can understand how people may be a bit leery to try this game out.  As I sit here trying to explain why I like it so much, it's pretty hard to do.  It's not the deepest strategy game on the planet by a long shot.  But... there is something about it that is just so fun.  "One more skirmish" type of thing. 

Is it deeper than "the one who has the biggest blob wins" ? And if so, how much deeper than that?

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 15, 2009, 05:02:39 PM »

you don't control a blob so that strategy isn't even really a possibility.  Though I suppose if you manage to take an enemy portal you would in fact have a bigger 'blob' and potentially get the win. lol

It's not really a RTS.   It's a lot more like a pvp diablo with a RTS running automatically in the background.  Very fun.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 15, 2009, 05:33:37 PM »

Heya Ray.  I don't know how deep it really is.  It's hard to explain.  I will try and list some of the "strategy type" stuff and let you be the judge.

1. Demigod skill tree.  There are different skill "lines" to choose your powersets.  Mix and match, or focus on a few lines only?  Lines consist of things like Direct Burst Damage, AoE damage, Healing, Stunning, Protection, Minion Strength, Minion Numbers, Damage over Time, Life Stealing, and then a whole host of passive things as well.  Depending on the demigod you pick will determine what types of lines are open to you.  Each demigod has his own individual skillsets, but you only have 20 skill points to distribute per game/encounter.

2. Capturing Flags.  Depending on gametype, most games will have a few flags scattered across the arena.  Do you focus on capturing these because they give you personal experience as well as bonuses to your side depending on the flag type? Do you essentially ignore them to focus on other things like defense or killing opponents?

3.  Spending Gold.  How do you spend it?  Do you invest all your money on items for your demigod, or on your citadel, or a combination?  There is only so much gold to go around, especially in the early and mid portion of the game.  Where you spend your money can greatly affect how the battle plays out, even if it seems subtle.

4.  What Items to Equip.  Do you go for speed increasing items, armor increasing items, health regeneration items, mana boosting items, damage increasing items, or combinations of a few of those?  Again, early to mid games will only allow you to purchase (do to gold restraints) certain things. 

5.  What is your role in the game?  Do you want to be a demigod killer, a flag capturer, a reinforcement killer, a structure destroyer, a front line defender of your territory, a support character for your tank partner, an experience grabber, or a combination of all of them?  How you spend your money, equip yourself, spend your skill points, and where you spend most of your time on the map will play a part in this.

6.  What's in your 4 precious quickbar slots?  Healing potions, mana potions, one-use super items, teleport scrolls, etc...?  Do you play a General and direct your forces, play a ranged damage dealer, mix it up in melee?  Those questions help answer what you slot.

To me, those are the strategy parts of the game.  It's really nothing grand or deep or super long-term in scope.  But those things can and will affect how your 30 to 60 minute game plays out, and how much you contribute to your team.  GPG and Stardock tried to accurately reflect a person's contribution in terms of favor points shown at the end of the match.  There are numerous factors involved in determining your "score" - and it's certainly more than just 'take this blob and go over there and pound that guy's face in.'   How much more is really hard for me to determine at this point. 

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 15, 2009, 05:45:23 PM »

Brad has posted re network connectivity etc

http://frogboy.impulsedriven.net/article/346451/From_Stardock_Demigod_Day_0_Status_Report

I quite like

So how can we make any of this up to you? Well, we've decided one way is to expand on something that our partners at Ironclad (developers of Sins of a Solar Empire) really got going when Sins came out and that is put a lot of "Stardockians" online to play multiplayer games with people later this week.

These Stardockians will be on to help show people how to play the game, give them tips and provide just a good online experience. For people who found themselves trying to get a game going today and couldn't due to server overloads or network connectivity, you'll be able to get a good game going with us.

Game on smile

Re connectivity for me all I did was disable the software firewall and port forward the relevant ports. If anyone needs these or have problems let me know. The game is actually very good - read one of the best I have seen in terms of being a peer to peer game but making it clear how the connections are going between all the users

Tals

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 15, 2009, 05:50:55 PM »

do you know offhand which ports I need to open for Demigod?  i'm really lazy and haven't bothered to look it up.   icon_redface

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 15, 2009, 05:57:42 PM »

run the impulse reactor exe in your /bin directory of the game directory and you can choose ports that are available i beleive.  Though it seems that in custom games you can choose which ports to host from as well.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 15, 2009, 06:03:06 PM »

excellent, thanks!

DonD

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2009, 06:58:20 PM »

Fun game, even if I don't think I'm playing all that well.  I don't want to run back to the shop or citadel to buy stuff (unless I die), so I keep pressing forward and taking/keeping flags, ignoring enemy heroes unless they're coming for me or contesting a flag point.

Finished 1 tournament on 'normal' as a torchbearer.

I'm ready to do it again and try a different approach.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 15, 2009, 07:18:18 PM »

I'll be on playing most of the evening if anyone wants to do some mp either coop or vs.

Harkonis on Impulse
Harkonis on Xfire
Harkonis pretty much everywhere. slywink
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 15, 2009, 08:17:15 PM »

Make sure you check the Impulse overlay for msgs occasionally.  apparently if you don't have the overlay active and someone sends you a msg, it does nothing.  Kinda lame and defeats the purpose imo.  Might be better to use xfire or something which is sad to me.

Had a few people online and playing and I kept sending msgs with no response, so I tested it.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 15, 2009, 08:34:13 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 15, 2009, 05:02:39 PM

It's not really a RTS.   It's a lot more like a pvp diablo with a RTS running automatically in the background.  Very fun.

That's the best description of the game I've seen to date!

I had doubts and relatively negative impressions of the game from my first two forays, but last night I finally got into the game deeper and it was a blast.  I can finally start to see what some of the other guys are/were talking about.  That said I still feel like a complete n00b and am leery to get into MP.

Suggestions if you are just starting:

- Choose Single Player skirmish mode and maybe pick a larger map.  If you can, just have yourself and maybe at most 1 more ally facing off against the opponent.  My first 2 games there was just too much going on independent of me, I felt overwhelmed and like I wasn't a part of the game.

- Ignore everything else and spend some time looking at your spell trees so you can start getting an idea of how you want to play or specialize in.

- Mouse over all the nearby structures and see if there is anything interesting.

- Click on the STORE and review all the items for purchase - it took me 3 games to finally find it lol, what an idiot. 

- Mess around with the controls and camera scheme, holding the spacebar down gives you mouse control over the camera, which you'll likely want to use a lot.  I also like panning around with WASD.  Right click does most of the important stuff (move and attack) while left click selects a target or target area after you hit a spell hotkey; unfortunately it doesn't look like you can reverse that to go Diablo style. 

- After all that restart your first real game.
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 15, 2009, 08:56:39 PM »

Argh, still cant log into MP through my Impulse account. Got a ticket at Support at Stardock, but haven't seen a reply in 3 days.

I love the game however. I originally had lots of fun with Oak, but find the Torch Bearer to be really good if you are careful to not get too close to the fight smile
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 15, 2009, 08:58:48 PM »

I think it's safe to say I might have figured out how to play as the UB

Panz, can you log into Impulse itself normally?  Have you tried using the Impulse Reactor setup in the /bin directory of the demigod folder?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 09:03:06 PM by Harkonis » Logged
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 15, 2009, 09:12:06 PM »

USMC Kato on impulse and usmckato on xfire

Purschased demigod on impulse, however cannot download or install because impulse is trying to update itself to no end. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 04:58:41 AM by USMC Kato » Logged

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: