http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 03:15:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Demigod  (Read 35674 times)
wonderpug
Gaming Trend Senior Member

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2009, 07:32:41 PM »

How well does this play on older rigs?  I can't find any system specs on the official site.  From the videos it looks like the game might be a stretch for my single core Athlon 3500.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2009, 04:29:58 PM »

Had a chance to play Demigod at my friend's home this Saturday.  (Apparently Gamestop put it out on shelves prematurely.  Sort of sucks for Stardock and GPG I guess, as it messed with their release schedule. But that's another story altogether).

Anyway, I have to say that I am very surprised how much I enjoyed playing it.  After watching the videos, I will admit that it looked kind of boring.  I found it to be anything but boring.  It was lots and lots of fun.  Enough so that I went ahead and pre-ordered it.  I won't give a lengthy LD-type review here, but I will list some of the things that stood out for me in the 6 or so games I personally played.

1.  The music.  I found it to be amazingly good.  I want the soundtrack.
2.  The camera.  Chris Taylor and company sure do know how to make an awesome in-game-camera.  Fully adjustable zoom, pitch, tilt with zoom-to-cursor functionality  Superb.
3.  The fun.  We loaded it on his network and played a couple co-op skirmishes against the computer as well as numerous single-player skirmishes to learn the game.  Thumbs up.
4.  The options.  Lots of little ways to tweak the way the game plays, and best of all, an adjustable gamespeed from +10 to -10 I believe.
5.  All demigods are fun to play, with the ability to focus on power-lines you enjoy the most.  Neat.

I have no idea what kind of legs this baby will have.  But my initial thoughts are a lot better than I anticipated they would be.  I have no idea how it will run on my machine compared to his.  Hopefully I can run it close to max though, as it looks great.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2009, 08:07:29 PM »

For anyone that's interested, it's pretty much available immediately if you order the digital download.  I "pre-ordered" it through the Stardock website just now, and I immediately got a receipt with my key, so I should be able to start the download as soon as I get home tonight.

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2009, 08:27:31 PM »

That's odd, they made a big fuss about shutting down servers until release date on Tuesday, oh well.

Is there any offline or single player campaign mode, etc?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2009, 08:29:03 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on April 13, 2009, 08:27:31 PM

That's odd, they made a big fuss about shutting down servers until release date on Tuesday, oh well.

I think things changed when GameStop broke street date over the weekend.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2009, 08:45:03 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 13, 2009, 08:29:03 PM

Quote from: rittchard on April 13, 2009, 08:27:31 PM

I think things changed when GameStop broke street date over the weekend.

Yeah, the word from the forums is indeed that they didn't want the pre-order people to have to wait until Tuesday when the people who walked into a Gamestop and bought it were happily playing.  Sucks that Gamestop screwed them, but good for Stardock to roll with it and do the right thing by their customers.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2009, 09:59:29 PM »

Harkonis on Impulse.. add me
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2009, 10:59:42 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on April 13, 2009, 09:59:29 PM

Harkonis on Impulse.. add me

NOt sure who I am on impulse...

Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2009, 11:39:35 PM »

Panzergeist on Impulse.

This game rocks BTW.
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2009, 11:55:52 PM »

I'm having a good time, although my sound stutters every now and again and creates some FPS chugging. This isn't the only time this happens, so I don't know what that is all about. My PC has been getting kinda warm, so I hope it isn't overheating! Otherwise, pretty good performance at medium.

I love the Unclean Beast!

Bael
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2009, 12:00:52 AM »

I have no idea what my impluse name is.  I'll check and post here when I figure it out, but I really don't ever play MP anything, especially RTS.

Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2009, 12:01:38 AM »

I don't get it. I started a skirmish, went out and found some enemies and they promptly slaughtered me. What am i doing wrong?
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2009, 12:09:36 AM »

Depends on your Demigod type. Assassin are all firepower, while Generals are more support. I think the early game is basically leveling your god up on small fry troops, and from there decide how to evolve....do you spend money on Citadel support inproving the quality of troops your portals send out? Do you buy items to make your God better in certain ways? Do you save up for a powerful super artifact? Past that, the game is really up to your play style or general.

I've used Oak mainly so far, and find that I can jump out early, gank some waves of scrub troops, move back and upgrade my citadel to priests. With them on the board, I upgrade my shield skill tree, go out and try to gank the other Demigod, thanks to 3 second immunity. With that gold, I just keep upgrading my citadel, making tougher and tougher waves of troops, through in some Divine Justice (which gives all my troops HP for each scrub I kill), and so far, eventually my forces just become an unstoppable wave.

Of course, that's vs a medium AI. Haven't tried multiple yet. I gotta say Im impressed with the depth each hero has so far. Seems to be lots of ways to upgrade and expand.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2009, 12:25:15 AM »

Damn forum effect just ordered Dow II during Go Gamers sale and will download this after dinner better hide the cc bill from the wife next month. ninja

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2009, 01:04:36 AM »

hepcat1 on Impulse.  I'm lovin' this game so far.   The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2009, 01:21:07 AM »

Leaper22 on Impulse.

I think after playing about 4 more games, I'm liking The Oak and Sedna the best.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2009, 02:20:03 AM »

madpeon on impulse. Feel free to add me!

Edit: just 'madpeon' now. Woot for Stardock allowing us to change usernames  nod
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 03:49:24 PM by madpeon » Logged
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2009, 02:35:33 AM »

Can anyone log into MP right now? Keeps saying my Impulse account is invalid...
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2009, 02:59:46 AM »

I just spent some time on the impulse chat channel.  Brad was saying that multiplayer is a bit borked atm.  Hopefully they will get things straightened out soon.  I'm looking forward to playing.

LD

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2009, 03:01:07 AM »

I'm downloading the game now. Between here, OO, and GWJ, I don't think I've seen anything but raves for this game.

I enjoy supporting Stardock, and I buy almost all their big releases - they treat people right and deserve to be treated right themselves.

edit: their servers ROCK btw. I'm getting 2.3mb/sec!

edit #2: got the entire game downloaded in under 30 minutes. Found this link to a beginner's guide if anyone's interested.

http://www.gamereplays.org/demigod/portals.php?show=page&name=beginners-guide-to-demigod
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 03:29:10 AM by Jeff » Logged
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2009, 03:39:29 AM »

I'm BizMarkie on Impulse. 

Just Hiro will do.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2009, 05:03:29 AM »

I got a crazy fast download too.  Of course, I can't seem to figure out how to add anyone as a friend.  I put the name into the "Find friend" box, but the find button stays gray and unclickable.  I don't get it.  Of course, I had to finish watching the movie I started last night, so I didn't get to play yet.

EDIT: Had a fun time where I apparently didn't remember which permutation of my usual password variants I used for Impulse, and their forgot password option wasn't working.  Eventually went to the Stardock main page and used the one there, and got it sorted. 

Impulse name is Chazalicious.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 11:54:17 AM by Chaz » Logged

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2009, 12:35:10 PM »

Oh well, looks like I will be picking this up tonight.  Was going to hold off as I was on the fence... consider me no longer on the fence.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2009, 12:49:17 PM »

I still want some impressions both of SP and MP before diving in. Been an expensive month so far and my own track record on stardock games is not so favourable as others i.e didn't like Sins and didn't get on with GCII so i'm just a bit cautious, although it does sound interesting.

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2009, 12:52:02 PM »

So, does will this buck the trend of post Gas Powered Games titles?  Their games usually seem impressive at first, but the honeymoon is soon over afterwards as gameplay deficiencies start showing up.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2009, 12:55:44 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on April 14, 2009, 12:52:02 PM

So, does will this buck the trend of post Gas Powered Games titles?  Their games usually seem impressive at first, but the honeymoon is soon over afterwards as gameplay deficiencies start showing up.

I sure hope so, but I'm waiting for the demo and week 4 impressions before I dive in.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2009, 01:05:06 PM »

Are there any persistent elements, like equipment or upgrades for your Demigods that carry through from match to match?  Or is it a fresh start every game and until things get going my Rook starts out exactly the same as my opponent's Rook?
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2009, 01:10:17 PM »

For those wanting more impressions, you might want to check out the Gamers With Jobs' forum post on it. Here's a link to page 4, where the actual game impressions start:

GWJ Demigod page 4

There may be beta impressions earlier in the thread, not sure.

My own first impression is 'wow'. The game has all sorts of potential for coolness. I'm one of those who didn't think the gameplay videos were that fun looking, but the videos don't do the game justice. I'm not saying 'go buy it now', too soon for that, but I am saying it appears to be pretty darn sweet.

Will the game have long legs like CoH, Dawn of War, Starcraft, etc? I don't know - but if Stardock/GPG allows for modding and mapmaking - look out, this could be a huge hit.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2009, 01:49:09 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 14, 2009, 01:05:06 PM

Are there any persistent elements, like equipment or upgrades for your Demigods that carry through from match to match?  Or is it a fresh start every game and until things get going my Rook starts out exactly the same as my opponent's Rook?

http://www.demigodthegame.com/

Go there (page is loading slowly atm) and watch the bottom right video. It's the overview tutorial, and goes a long way towards explaining the game. At the end, it talks about Favor points - which are "long-term upgrades". Not sure how these play out, but I think they are persistent ... maybe only in tourneys or single sessions? Not sure yet.
Island Dog
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2009, 01:52:04 PM »

Yeah, basically the servers were overwhelmed with the broken release purchasers and pirates, so MP was pretty slow.  We are moving the servers over and working on other things in the mean time.

They are working on all that at the moment, and trying to get any issues coming up fixed asap.

Also, make sure you have the very latest version of Demigod off Impulse.

If you do have a problem of some kind, we have a support forum setup.

http://forums.demigodthegame.com/forum/526

Another topic...

To manage friends in Impulse, just go here - http://www.impulsedriven.net/friends

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2009, 01:55:24 PM »

So how's the single player campaign?
Island Dog
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2009, 01:59:54 PM »

Just a note that the manual is in the bin directory of the Demigod directory.  smile
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2009, 02:25:15 PM »

Quote from: Island Dog on April 14, 2009, 01:52:04 PM

To manage friends in Impulse, just go here - http://www.impulsedriven.net/friends

Yeah, I figured that out after I got my account stuff sorted.  I changed my account name, thinking it was going to be like Steam where you can change your screen name independent of your account name.  Doing that logged me off, and Impulse didn't get the updated screen name changed, so I eventually figured out that I wasn't logged into Impulse and found where I could change the login/account info.  Partly because of that and partly because Impulse seems to be really bad at giving error feedback, last night it wasn't letting me search for friends.  After getting my screen name login stuff figured out this morning, it was letting me search for people, so everyone should have friend requests from me.

hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2009, 02:32:21 PM »

I'm confused about the friend's list.  I added a few folks last night and they appear in the Impulse friend's list outside of the game, but when I'm in Demigod they don't appear on my friend's list in the overlay.

Here's my setup:

I have an impulse account under the name hepcat1 that i can log into using the hepcat1 username, or the email address i used for the account.  both will show me the same "hepcat1" account name when logging in with either. 

When i'm in the game, I created a profile called "hepcat" and then logged in with the email address as the username.

Am I doing something wrong? 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2009, 02:35:38 PM »

I really dont get it. My Impulse name is Panzergeist. My games all registered under the same name, all the registration keys are under the same email addy for that Impulse name. I go into Demigod with the same exact info that logs me into Impulse, and I get told its incorrect.

W.T.F.?

Space Herpes
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2009, 02:47:22 PM »

Quote from: Tals on April 14, 2009, 12:49:17 PM

I still want some impressions both of SP and MP before diving in. Been an expensive month so far and my own track record on stardock games is not so favourable as others i.e didn't like Sins and didn't get on with GCII so i'm just a bit cautious, although it does sound interesting.

Tals
I'm with you on the Sins part.  It seemed to be an RTS/4X and yet felt lacking in both departments.  Demigod seems to be the same formula.  A RTS/RPG with few elements of either.  The other problem (for me) is that a good RPG should come with a good story.  No story or really, not much of a single player at all.  Looks cool, but I just can't justify paying full price for what feels (to me) to be half a game.

See the Mr. Sticky Show!
http://one.revver.com/watch/261625
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2009, 02:55:46 PM »

The manual can found here for people still deciding:

http://www.stardock.com/demigodmanual.pdf
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2009, 03:00:45 PM »

Quote from: Space Herpes on April 14, 2009, 02:47:22 PM

Quote from: Tals on April 14, 2009, 12:49:17 PM

Tals
I'm with you on the Sins part.  It seemed to be an RTS/4X and yet felt lacking in both departments.  Demigod seems to be the same formula.  A RTS/RPG with few elements of either.  The other problem (for me) is that a good RPG should come with a good story.  No story or really, not much of a single player at all.  Looks cool, but I just can't justify paying full price for what feels (to me) to be half a game.

It's not really trying to be either of those genres. It's basically a commercialized Defense of the Ancients with more cool stuff and it works really well.

DoTA style games are generally considered 'Tower Push' I believe, since the whole objective is to push your opponents static defenses and eventually destroy their base. They aren't meant to be single player games anymore than Counterstrike is. They are best played with a good team that works together.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2009, 03:13:07 PM »

I haven't looked, but in case I ever do try MP, is there in-game voice chat?

Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2009, 03:14:49 PM »

Ya the SP is a tournament with 8 random matches of 4 on 4. You do your best, help win, get favor points by doing tasks like most gold, most kills, etc, and that's tallied in the standards. Highest at the end gets the tiny ending video, blurb about your future as a god, back to main menu to check your achievements, maybe buy a new favor item, and back to fight again.

Now if I only I can play MP I can start using my boy Oak online. I can take out a Nightmare AI 1on1, want to try people.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: