http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 05:33:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Defense of the Ancients 2  (Read 3019 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2010, 02:32:41 PM »

and they will announce what they're doing soon according to this announcement.  could it be a new RTS, a genre Valve has yet to dip it's toes in?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 03:11:44 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 06:27:46 PM »

This is my favourite Genre, I loved DemiGod except for its atrocious netcode and i'm playing crazy amounts of LoL (+300hours since January).

However! If they take a HoN route which is take DoTa and don't be brave enough to change the formulae then i'll pass. If they go the LoL route i'll be very interested. I think they will go the HoN route as Icefrog was very instrumental in HoN

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 07:13:43 PM »

Quote from: Tals on May 03, 2010, 06:27:46 PM

This is my favourite Genre, I loved DemiGod except for its atrocious netcode and i'm playing crazy amounts of LoL (+300hours since January).

However! If they take a HoN route which is take DoTa and don't be brave enough to change the formulae then i'll pass.

I just want to understand where you're coming from, so I know how to judge these future games.  Are you saying you don't like DotA as is?

I have not had a chance to play HoN... but if I really liked DotA, then I should like HoN?  But not LoL?  (have not tried that either)
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 07:25:23 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on May 03, 2010, 07:13:43 PM

Quote from: Tals on May 03, 2010, 06:27:46 PM

However! If they take a HoN route which is take DoTa and don't be brave enough to change the formulae then i'll pass.

I just want to understand where you're coming from, so I know how to judge these future games.  Are you saying you don't like DotA as is?

I have not had a chance to play HoN... but if I really liked DotA, then I should like HoN?  But not LoL?  (have not tried that either)

Dota is an awesome concept, take 5 heroes on either side and pitch them into battle. Bring in a levelling mechanism in game and items and it's imho unbeatable. With DOta and Hon they went for a deny concept that is if you kill your own creep then you stop the opposite side getting the xp/gold. I don't think it's a great mechanic and it really means the person who denies well with easily outlevel the other side. They also kept to a rather poor mini map, brown/green colouring and various other aspects which were just taking Dota - basically a 10 year old expansion! The shop was also redesigned for Lol - whereas I think in Hon it was kept pretty much the same

If you like Dota/Hon you may like LoL but you could also be so addicted to the deny concept and the larger map, confusing shop etc that you may find it difficult to play. If you haven't played one go for LoL. Read the LoL thread for all the info slywink

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 12:03:27 AM »

hmmmm..... could 'soon' be coming?

Because I can,
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 06:06:48 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 12, 2010, 12:03:27 AM

hmmmm..... could 'soon' be coming?

That just seems wrong, they have no rights to that particular name

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 02:30:08 PM »

Assuming Blizzard would never license out its game engine, the dev would presumably have to re-do the game (maybe with a different name) with Source for this? (a la Alien Swarm moving from Unreal over to Source).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 02:40:22 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Meltdown (Steam early access)
-Running With Soldiers (Steam early access)
-Breach & Clear
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 07:14:14 PM »

It's officially Defense of the Ancients 2.

Because I can,
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 06:51:49 PM »

Quote from: Tals on May 03, 2010, 07:25:23 PM

If you like Dota/Hon you may like LoL but you could also be so addicted to the deny concept and the larger map, confusing shop etc that you may find it difficult to play. If you haven't played one go for LoL. Read the LoL thread for all the info slywink

Kepow is a LOL addict already.  I think he was just asking about DOTA and HoN.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 12:42:42 AM »

Quote from: skystride on October 15, 2010, 06:51:49 PM

Quote from: Tals on May 03, 2010, 07:25:23 PM

Kepow is a LOL addict already.  I think he was just asking about DOTA and HoN.

Haha that post was from May.  slywink
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 05:19:50 PM »

Seems a bit misleading to call it DoTA 2 as it look like its just a remake of the first with the Source engine. No gameplay changes, and same heroes/abilities. It will be free so I'll give it a try but LoL is already so polished not sure if I would play this that much for my "DoTA fix".
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 05:26:46 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on October 16, 2010, 05:19:50 PM

Seems a bit misleading to call it DoTA 2 as it look like its just a remake of the first with the Source engine. No gameplay changes, and same heroes/abilities. It will be free so I'll give it a try but LoL is already so polished not sure if I would play this that much for my "DoTA fix".

I'd agree and considering Icefrog didn't actually create Dota calling it Dota 2 is naughty.

That said always nice to see games in this Genre and if they are going from the off to sort the community they may do better than Hon which actively encouraged it's bad community until they wole up and smelt the coffee and by then it was too late!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 12:03:14 AM »

here! have a blog!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 03:06:37 AM »

a new look from IGN.

Because I can,
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 06:07:58 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 10, 2011, 03:06:37 AM

You know.. I don't see anything here so far that's gonna pull me away from 'League Of Legends'. Those screenies are just blah.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 06:19:43 PM »

Quote from: PR_GMR on January 10, 2011, 06:07:58 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on January 10, 2011, 03:06:37 AM

You know.. I don't see anything here so far that's gonna pull me away from 'League Of Legends'. Those screenies are just blah.

At the moment the comment I most here regarding DOTA 2 is it's a valve game so it will be good. Hopefully that will prove to be the case. For the moment I get a huge amount of enjoyment from LOL

rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 07:47:35 PM »

Kind of odd/interesting to see how this will turn out.  Release at the end of the year means LoL (and HoN) can spend another year just fine tuning their already-released games.  LoL will have nearly 100 champs by then, and hopefully a new map and the graphic overhaul will be out by then as well. 

Given that in the interview, Valve specifically states they aren't really changing any gameplay elements (down to the number of creeps in a creep wave!), what's their hook going to be?  Aside from being a Valve game?  I like the "coaching" and replay aspects, both were things I brought up for LoL a while back.  But other than that, this is beyond MOTS.  It's just... the same, but less.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 07:59:45 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on January 10, 2011, 07:47:35 PM

Kind of odd/interesting to see how this will turn out.  Release at the end of the year means LoL (and HoN) can spend another year just fine tuning their already-released games.  LoL will have nearly 100 champs by then, and hopefully a new map and the graphic overhaul will be out by then as well. 

Given that in the interview, Valve specifically states they aren't really changing any gameplay elements (down to the number of creeps in a creep wave!), what's their hook going to be?  Aside from being a Valve game?  I like the "coaching" and replay aspects, both were things I brought up for LoL a while back.  But other than that, this is beyond MOTS.  It's just... the same, but less.

I would love to know how big the server population LOL has - I imagine 1 million + but is that too many?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 12:43:16 AM »

Gamescom trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-cSFPIwMEq4

Because I can,
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 09:01:54 PM »

How does this meh video have over 900k views and the new BF3 vid has like 300??
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 06:27:08 AM »

Quote from: skystride on August 16, 2011, 09:01:54 PM

MOBA is huge, LOL has a peak daily play figure of +500,000 with 4 million people playing it a month. That said I saw some screenshots a couple of days ago which just said HON 2 to me - if this is the case it won't pull the LOL crowd, Valve or not.

PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 02:17:35 PM »

Quote from: Tals on August 17, 2011, 06:27:08 AM

MOBA is huge, LOL has a peak daily play figure of +500,000 with 4 million people playing it a month. That said I saw some screenshots a couple of days ago which just said HON 2 to me - if this is the case it won't pull the LOL crowd, Valve or not.

I've not seen the video, but did see the screenshots yesterday. Look totally 'meh' to me.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 05:21:06 PM »

The video from the live streams

http://www.dota2.com/tournaments/international/?q=hd&c=English

Looks better but its still more like Hon with all it's complexities than LOL. Come dominion I think Dota may be old school as well

Kossak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 05:44:41 PM »

The game looks awesome, apart from UI (UI is ugly, but i think it's just temporary). Of course it looks much more like HoN than LoL, because it's DotA (2) smile. All the heroes, all the mechanics are going to be the same as in DotA (and thus as in HoN).

Add me: Raptr: Kossak, Steam: Kossak
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 05:50:49 PM »

Quote from: Kossak on August 17, 2011, 05:44:41 PM

The game looks awesome, apart from UI (UI is ugly, but i think it's just temporary). Of course it looks much more like HoN than LoL, because it's DotA (2) smile. All the heroes, all the mechanics are going to be the same as in DotA (and thus as in HoN).

Remind me of the respective server populations  icon_biggrin

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2011, 06:33:03 PM »

Just because the mechanics of DOTA 1 and DOTA 2 and HON are the same doesn't mean the graphics engine have to look identical too.  I actually thought Valve might do something special but it looks a bit dated and not very sexy.
Kossak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2011, 06:44:44 PM »

Quote from: skystride on August 17, 2011, 06:33:03 PM

Just because the mechanics of DOTA 1 and DOTA 2 and HON are the same doesn't mean the graphics engine have to look identical too.  I actually thought Valve might do something special but it looks a bit dated and not very sexy.
I think it's because not all of DotA players have good computers. Warcraft 3 doesn't have big hardware requirements and they want to attract all DotA players. Gameplay is much more important than graphics here.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 06:50:02 PM by Kossak » Logged

skystride

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2011, 07:21:57 PM »

Quote from: Kossak on August 17, 2011, 06:44:44 PM

Quote from: skystride on August 17, 2011, 06:33:03 PM

Just because the mechanics of DOTA 1 and DOTA 2 and HON are the same doesn't mean the graphics engine have to look identical too.  I actually thought Valve might do something special but it looks a bit dated and not very sexy.
I think it's because not all of DotA players have good computers. Warcraft 3 doesn't have big hardware requirements and they want to attract all DotA players. Gameplay is much more important than graphics here.

Why not just continue playing DOTA 1 then?
Kossak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2011, 07:35:55 PM »

Quote from: skystride on August 17, 2011, 07:21:57 PM

Why not just continue playing DOTA 1 then?
Because of addedd value and all the new features. Here i found what they posted last year, they even speak about hardware requirements, they want people with older computers to play it too. Besides even though the graphics is not crysis-like, in my opinion it's still very beautiful and for sure much better than DotA 1.

Q: Is there reconnect support for DotA 2? (by Vanes-UT)
A: This was actually one of the very first things we added early on, before the game was stable, in order to help with testing. You’ll also be able to have a friend of similar skill level substitute for you in case you have to leave. Players that want to improve their reputation in the game and community will also be able to help out by joining ongoing games that are missing players.

Q: Can I still play with my friends from America even though I am European? (by Adam Mosley)

A: Yes, a lot of people have friends in different regions and we want to allow them to easily interact. One of the things that makes DotA special is how big the community is, so we will do our best to make it easy to connect and communicate with one another.

Q: How are you going to handle delay and lag between players? (by Alex)
A: This is something we are putting a lot of time and resources into. Minimizing delay to servers, along with optimizing networking code, is very important to being able to enjoy DotA on both a casual and competitive level. We’re expanding the Steam infrastructure around the world so the matchmaking service for DotA 2 is able to provide the lowest possible ping wherever you are playing. There will also be some uniquely located servers that are optimized regionally for handling longer distance matches.

Q: What kind of hardware requirements will the game have? (by S.Hong)

A: We don’t have an official minimum spec just yet. The goal is to make sure that people with older computers and the PCs at LAN centers will be able to support the game, while also allowing for newer computers to scale well.

Q: I heard there was going to be an AI feature for when a player leaves. Is there going to be an option to take direct control of the hero? (by Stephen)
A: The AI features will be optional to the players in the game. You can have teammates use it, send it to the base, or give it AI modes and behaviors to follow.

Q: Will there be anything like the AI maps in DotA or a “training mode” with difficulty levels? (by L.Pham)
A: Yes there will be bot support if you just want to play by yourself, or you can create a party of friends and fill the rest of the slots with bots. There are a variety of different settings you can use in order to configure the bots, ranging from selectable difficulty levels to specific behaviors that you want to practice against. For example, if you want to practice your lane control, you could configure the bots to be stronger at denying, last hitting, and harassing. We’ll also have some specially crafted challenge scenarios, similar to things like Pudge Wars, which I’ll elaborate on in the future.

Q: Will the replay system allow me to move freely backwards and forwards in time rather than having to watch a whole replay? (by Luciando)
A: You’ll be able to jump around to any point in the replay, add bookmarks for easy referencing, view detailed stats and graphs while the game is going, and watch through a specific player’s view (with regards to their camera movement). You’ll also be able to watch replays with friends if you want to review a game or learn from your mistakes. To aid videomakers, the replay system will have flexible camera angle and speed controls. There will also be a bunch of commentating and editing features you can add to your replays.

Q: Don’t you think you should make a lot of changes to the gameplay? (by Robert)
A: Significant changes would not necessarily make it a better game. There are countless features we are building around the game that will make the experience a much better one. The gameplay itself, though, has always evolved step by step, and it will continue with that methodology. We consider this a long term project, in the same way DotA has always been. We want to provide a quality experience and not just change for the sake of change. You’ll naturally see additions and improvements to the game as time passes, but it would be a natural progression aimed at improving the game for the players and not for other arbitrary reasons. Valve and I strongly believe that the player focused development process the game has gone through is what will allow us to continue making the best decisions with regards to where we spend our development time.

Q: Can you spectate an already ongoing DotA 2 game? (by Valo)
A: A lot of the game will be built around spectating and shoutcasting support. You will be able to join most ongoing games (unless the players marked it as private) and just watch them. You can join a game your friend is in, see what your favorite clan is doing, or simply pick a skill level and a hero you like and it will find you one to watch. We also have a system in place that automatically distributes the load to multiple servers so that the game itself won’t be affected by users joining to spectate. Our distribution network will allow us to support any number of users that want to watch, by dynamically assigning more servers to the task. There will also be special tags and search options to help you find live or old shoutcasted games. Shoutcasters will be able to operate as directors, so anyone watching will have his camera looking at the same things the shoutcaster is viewing. There is also an optional anti-cheat mechanism built in so that the game you are spectating can be time delayed by any amount of time to reduce potential abuse.

Q: Will you keep loyal to casting times like Torrent and will it still be possible to do the advanced tricks, like animation canceling, fog of war tricks we’ve learned, etc? (by Lycan)
A: Yes, those mechanics are implemented. They are a very integral part of the game and it wouldn’t feel the same without them.

Q: How will we manage replay files? (by Nikos)
A: They will be automatically saved with your identity online utilizing the Steam Cloud storage system, so you don’t have to worry about losing them. You’ll be able to use the replay browser tools to search, sort, tag, rank, and favorite them.

Q: Are you going to work on DotA after DotA 2 is released? (by Jack Lee)
A: I plan to keep DotA updated for as long as the community wants. That being said though, I think that DotA 2 represents the long term future for the game.

Q: How will development change with regards to your role, current beta testers, community feedback, etc? (by Basel)
A: All that stuff will remain the same, except that now I also get to work with the developers at Valve. All of our current playtesters and even contributors like Kunkka are helping. One of the most important things for me has always been getting input from the community. There will be a lot of opportunities, throughout the next year, to give your feedback on all the things we are working on, ranging from features to visuals.

Q: Are the upgraded graphics going to be distracting? New graphics are great, but when there’s too much, you can’t see what’s going on anymore. (by Lycan)
A: Gameplay is definitely the most important aspect, everyone on the team understands this concern. The number one priority is making sure players can quickly and easily tell what’s happening on the screen at all times. Fine tuning the right visual balance with each ability, effect, hero, etc., will be an ongoing process as the game is playtested and we get your feedback. A clean and understandable visual representation of the action is important to everyone from experienced players, spectators, to new players.

Q: Will I be able to help test DotA 2? (by Sing Liu)
A: There will certainly be an opportunity to get involved with beta testing DotA 2 and help us with your feedback. We’ll release more information about how to sign up in the future.

Q: Are you going to do anything to make it easier for new players to get into the game and feel welcome? (by Arvin)
A: Some of what makes it hard, in current DotA, stems from the lack of services around the game that can help foster a better relationship between players and that it’s hard for players to be matched up with equally skilled allies and opponents. Things like tutorials, matchmaking, AI bots, identity, coaching, and community contribution will go a long way to making it easier for new players to fit in.

Q: What hotkey setup will exist in DotA 2? (by Stany Kaff)
A: We have a few default templates that cover the most popular configurations, but you’ll also be able to fully customize them to your liking. You can customize it on a global level or on a per hero basis if you choose. The hotkey configuration will include everything, not just heroes and items, but also how you navigate in the game, control the camera, autocast, set control groups, etc. Your settings are saved to your identity online, so if you go to a LAN center you will not have to reconfigure your keys.

Kossak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2011, 07:57:15 PM »

no suprise, now it's over 1,650,000 views. A year or two ago i read an article estimating the base DotA game is played by 10 millions of players. Wonder if most of them will switch to DotA 2.

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2011, 08:13:53 PM »

When they were doing the dreamhack games I heard hon players were not happy that lol had 200k viewers when they could only muster 6k - I think the dota figures are either out of date or specific regions like Korea.

Regarding the actual game - I can probably dig out my concerns a year ago regarding icefrogs capability of original thought...

Kossak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2011, 09:05:54 PM »

Valve aims their game will be played by tens of millions of people (source) so i guess it's quite right number of DotA players they're aiming this game for. I wonder if LoL players would switch also... they are used to easier game mechanics (they may not like "unnecessary complexity" smile or pricing model)

"The big focus is getting the game right," said Newell. "It's much more important to figure out why people are going to like the game and then we'll worry about monetization after. I think the first thing we need to do is built a game that fulfills what IceFrog wanted to do with the sequel to a game being played by tens of millions of people. If we can do that I'm sure Valve will end up being ok.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 09:09:50 PM by Kossak » Logged

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2011, 10:08:01 PM »

If LOL get Dominion right then Valve may just find they backed the wrong pony smile

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2011, 07:07:30 AM »

So are their any non dota/lol players that are interested in this?

Kossak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2011, 06:33:46 PM »

I just hope the game won't be free to play with shitty skins/heroes buying. I think it's better for e-sport game that you have to pay certain amount of money (i don't mind it being $50) and have everything unlocked/the same as all your competitors.

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2011, 08:01:46 PM »

Quote from: Kossak on August 20, 2011, 06:33:46 PM

I just hope the game won't be free to play with shitty skins/heroes buying. I think it's better for e-sport game that you have to pay certain amount of money (i don't mind it being $50) and have everything unlocked/the same as all your competitors.

Kossack you are such a Hon fanboi its not true. Your reasons are nonsensical - commercially it is whatever will make them the most money, If you take the LOL model then it smashed Hon so far into the ground they're still trying to find the surface - ohhh wait Hon has a F2P model now.

LoL's F2P model is the best I have seem , you can play the game totally free for ever and have the same advantage as someone who puts a load of money in the game - who are you to put down that people may like skins or not.

Now turn your fanboi stuff off - as it is a true turn off and keep to DOTA 2 smile

Kossak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2011, 10:48:39 PM »

Well it's you who called yourself "defender of everything that is lol" so get your lol fanboism to your LOL thread. Besides you are easily pissed off when somebody says something true about LoL. You're blind and don't want to hear that anything is better that this shitty free game. So who's fanboy? smile

So are you crying loud when i say DotA has bigger penis than LoL? smile Like a  child.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2011, 11:34:20 PM »

I don't play either game, but LoL has more going for it imo.  It's also the only one of the two to truly innovate from DOTA.  HoN is too scared to go too far from the DOTA formula.

At any rate, DOTA2 looks to be more like HoN (and DOTA1) than LoL and for me that means I will play LoL if I play again.  I'm also more interested in how Dominion turns out. 
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2011, 08:07:21 AM »

Quote from: Kossak on August 20, 2011, 10:48:39 PM

Well it's you who called yourself "defender of everything that is lol" so get your lol fanboism to your LOL thread. Besides you are easily pissed off when somebody says something true about LoL. You're blind and don't want to hear that anything is better that this shitty free game. So who's fanboy? smile

So are you crying loud when i say DotA has bigger penis than LoL? smile Like a  child.

I think you misunderstand me, if DOTA2 looked like LOL I would be disappointed. I had been pretty confident that icefrog hasn't got much imagination in him and unfortunately at this point i've been proved right. Time will tell but at this point I cannot see this being that fun. Hark captures my thoughts better than I could though, Dominion - now that does look fun smile

Keep the bad language out of the thread - no need for it at all.

Kossak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2011, 10:21:16 AM »

sry didn't mean to offend you, just don't freak out when i say my opinion about DotA smile

As i'm watching DotA tournaments i like what i see. I knew before that IceFrog wouldn't change basic DotA formula, and it's good because you don't change things that worked for years for tens of millions of players and they were happy with it. I'm happy that making new game IceFrog/Valve innovate in new features, graphics and not by removing "difficult" mechanics, because of don't know what - thinking that new players are too stupid to learn them or what. 3 millions of gamers watching DotA 2 tournament appear to think similar.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: