http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 09:34:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dear Sony: please go screw yourselves....  (Read 2523 times)
Dimmona
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2006, 09:15:47 PM »

And the implosion continues....

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 09:43:11 PM »

Good grief, you'd think that someone at Sony would have enough sense to stuff a sock in Hirai's mouth. And Kutaragi's too.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 09:48:27 PM »

this is one of those instances when any publicity isn't good publicity.

Sony is going to shoot themselves in the foot with this mentality, brand name  be damned, people will get all excited for the system launch no doubt, but when some folks realize they'll be dropping a grand on a gaming system(non-ebay prices) they'll stop quick enough.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 09:52:33 PM »

and yet another reason that there is no way I would buy a PS3

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
unbreakable
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 10:09:35 PM »

So let's check the scorecard...

$500 to $600 for a PS3 system
$60-$100+ for games
$30+ for Blu-Ray DVD movies

Um... who the F*#& are they making this for?  Why not just state it will be coated in platinum, have diamond buttons, and market it as the "bling bling" system?
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 10:11:43 PM »

It's a trial balloon.  They just want to see if there's any wiggle room.  Of course they want to have 'premium' pricing for their 'premium' console, but that's not the real reason for all this.

Why would they continue to make outrageous statements in a hail of negative response?  The only answer is that they want headlines.  More to the point, they don't want anyone else to get headlines.  If a wacky Sony exec is the big headline of the day or week, then nobody's talking about Nintendo's great E3 showing, 360 summer releases or their potentially big fall line up.  Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft have all put out about the same number of interviews and press releases since E3.  Sony's been the clear winner in press coverage.  

If they were doing all this on this forum, you'd call them a troll.  The appropriate response is the same.  (Just a hint, it's not outraged sputtering.) :wink:

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 10:19:05 PM »

Quote from: "Hrothgar"
 Sony's been the clear winner in press coverage.  

I think that you are right, Sony has been the big winner of press coverage.  The problem with that is this is negative press.  That is the only reason they are getting coverage at all.  If sony was putting out a good quality product (yeah right on the PS 3) this would be a whole different story.  All of the press Sony has been getting just makes me glad that I don't want to own a PS 3!  Too many problems! biggrin

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 10:20:18 PM »

Ok, first of all 1UP is the shittest gaming website I have ever been a member of.

They're reporters SUCK.

1Up is a rumor mill.

But if I find myself paying 100 bucks for games, oh wait I wouldn't find myself doing that, because thats just stupid.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 10:28:34 PM »

I'm more and more convinced that Sony is only launching the PS3 this fall for appearances sakes.  They know it's not ready for mass market so they'll hype it, get as much as they can from the early adopters in terms of hardware and software prices, and wait until their costs come down sometime next year to really roll it out to the mass market with a price cut.  I can't imagine that their software partners are happy about this strategy, but Sony is caught from both ends (BluRay costs and Cell costs) and this is the best they could come up with.

Whether is works will all come down to just how loyal the Playstation generation really is.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 10:50:19 PM »

I adore my PS2, and had every intention of picking up a PS3, mainly for the inevitable slew of JRPG's it would have.  However, every nugget of info that is released from Sony makes me want it less and less.  They would have to show me multiple mind-blowing, must-have titles for me to even consider picking one up at this point.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 11:01:38 PM »

I can't even buy 360 games because they are $60 (only have bought one at $60).  Charging more then $60 for a PS3 game would definitely leave me out.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2006, 11:13:37 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
I adore my PS2, and had every intention of picking up a PS3, mainly for the inevitable slew of JRPG's it would have.  However, every nugget of info that is released from Sony makes me want it less and less.  They would have to show me multiple mind-blowing, must-have titles for me to even consider picking one up at this point.

Even just a year ago I was still expecting to only pick up the Revolution and maybe a PS3 for my JRPG fix, and not a 360.

However, after all of this, I'm glad that I wound up going with a 360 instead of a PS3 for my secondary system.   :shock:

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006, 11:15:02 PM »

Gratch, Devil Summoner 2, Jade Cocoon 3, Dark Cloud 3, Dragon Quest 10, Breath of Fire 5, Wild Arms 5, Vagrant Story 2, Chrono Cross 2, Suikoden 6 and Shadow Hearts 4 have been announced for release within the first six months of the system.  How does that affect your decision-making? :wink:

Why not just state it will be coated in platinum, have diamond buttons, and market it as the "bling bling" system?

YOU SHUT UP!  Good god, Sony might hear you.  I guarantee this would sound like a briliant idea to them.  And make no mistake, societies of affluence will always have Social Standing Insignias (ie, why the fuck is there a 2wd Hummer?!), and if Sony figures out they could market a PS3 for $1800, and sell a third as many which would yeild a thicker profit margin, they would in a heartbeat.  And rich people have proven dumb enough many times in the past they will go for it.

Sarkus, I've been saying for a while that Sony knows they have a captive market for the first 5 million machines, and they are simple recouping as much of the R&D money as they can on those machines.  An actual PS3 will nto be available in America until WELL into 2007.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 11:20:33 PM »

Quote from: "Big Jake"
Gratch, Devil Summoner 2, Jade Cocoon 3, Dark Cloud 3, Dragon Quest 10, Breath of Fire 5, Wild Arms 5, Vagrant Story 2, Chrono Cross 2, Suikoden 6 and Shadow Hearts 4 have been announced for release within the first six months of the system.  How does that affect your decision-making? :wink:

Why not just state it will be coated in platinum, have diamond buttons, and market it as the "bling bling" system?

YOU SHUT UP!  Good god, Sony might hear you.  I guarantee this would sound like a briliant idea to them.  And make no mistake, societies of affluence will always have Social Standing Insignias (ie, why the fuck is there a 2wd Hummer?!), and if Sony figures out they could market a PS3 for $1800, and sell a third as many which would yeild a thicker profit margin, they would in a heartbeat.  And rich people have proven dumb enough many times in the past they will go for it.

Sarkus, I've been saying for a while that Sony knows they have a captive market for the first 5 million machines, and they are simple recouping as much of the R&D money as they can on those machines.  An actual PS3 will nto be available in America until WELL into 2007.

There is no way in hell there will be that many RPGs ready within 6 months of launch unless they are made as PS2 games that will play on the PS3.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2006, 11:22:28 PM »

Wow, one game without a number following it. I'm not one who believes that all sequels are derivative crap and I understand why Sony would want to roll out the big names at launch, but that's one of the reasons I love my DS Lite; I'm picking up original games that just wouldn't make it on the non-handheld market.

ETA: Whoops; I don't keep up on PS3, so I didn't consider that his post was hypothetical.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2006, 11:36:10 PM »

Impossibility of all those titles actually being released in the first 6 months -- let alone the first year -- notwithstanding, there are only a few of those I'd be interested in picking up:  Dragon Quest 9 (you're off a number there slywink) and possibly Vagrant Story 2.  The rest of that list just aren't grabbing me.

And not only that, but I just can't choke down the price of the PS3, the arrogance of Sony and poor regard of their customers, and the boneheaded decisions they keep making.  Just can't support them anymore.

Missing DQ9 is going to be really tough given how much I love the DQ series.

unbreakable
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2006, 12:30:48 AM »

Chrono Cross 2

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2006, 12:42:04 AM »

Uh, I think Big Jake was making up titles to prove a point--that it it's the library that sells the console. Very few, if any, of the games he listed have been announced, and none of them will be out in the first six months of the PS3's life cycle.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2006, 01:24:34 AM »

and none of them will come at all if Sony doesn't make enough headway in the market place.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2006, 01:49:48 AM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
Uh, I think Big Jake was making up titles to prove a point--that it it's the library that sells the console. Very few, if any, of the games he listed have been announced, and none of them will be out in the first six months of the PS3's life cycle.

Even if it was true, I could get them all used for 1/4 of the price when the console is $200.  I'm glad I got an Xbox 360 at launch, but the PS3 is looking like a Saturn at this point.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2006, 02:14:10 AM »

Don't see why anybody should be surprised at this happening, mad yea ok but not surprised. We heard the same type of talk about higher price points for the system itself. Kutagari letting out snippits here and there. Then the actual price came out. Now we see the same beating around the bush about the game prices. The fact is I don't see the average PS3 game selling more units and the PS2 ones did. So the money for the higher game development costs can only come from one place. We saw it with the 360, and were going to see at a minimum the same for the PS3 if not more.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2006, 02:33:06 AM »

Quote from: "Graham"
I'm glad I got an Xbox 360 at launch, but the PS3 is looking like a Saturn at this point.

Hey! You stop insulting the Saturn like that!

The Saturn was a kickass 2D system that Sega completely and utterly fucked up the US launch for.

The PS3 is a 360 quality system that Sony is completely and utterly fucking up the worldwide launch for.

Hmmm...I guess I could see your point. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2006, 02:50:26 AM »

The only thing I disagree with is that they will ship as many of those things as they say.  Even at $600 they are still losing a pile of money (some speculation says as much as $400 per) so even selling 5 million makes no sense.  No, what I'm suggesting is that they will actually ship very few in the next six months, kind of like what video card manufacturers sometimes do.  They officially launch a product knowing it will be months before any siginificant supply ships so they can 1) claim they have a competitive product when they don't, 2) create "shortage" hype, and 3) keep potential customers looking for their product and not going with the competition.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2006, 03:09:24 AM »

If PS3 is going to have that many JRPG titles within 6 months and all in English, I'll buy a PS3 at launch time. But I don't think that is going to happen.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2006, 03:49:11 AM »

Hell, if I could believe that, I would pick one up on launch day without hesitation.  I would be pimping the PS3 to the ends of the Earth.  But there's no way most of titles will ever get made (as much as I would love to see a Chrono 3 and Vagrant Story 2), so I'll just wait and see what actually comes out.  I didn't pick up a PS2 until well into it's cycle, and I'll probably do the same with the PS3.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2006, 04:07:28 AM »

It's a trial balloon.  They just want to see if there's any wiggle room.  Of course they want to have 'premium' pricing for their 'premium' console, but that's not the real reason for all this.

This is not a trial balloon. Companies float trial balloons to see how competitors react, not consumers. If they were trying to gauge how consumers react to various price points they would do that behind closed doors, through marketing surveys and focus groups.

Since Nintendo and Microsoft have already laid their cards on the table in terms of price points, the only reason they would bring this up is to start conditioning consumers for higher prices. Either that or Hirai's gone completely bat shit. Either possibility is just as likely.
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2006, 04:21:13 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
Chrono Cross 2

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I feel your pain.

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2006, 05:45:36 AM »

Quote from: "Graham"
I'm glad I got an Xbox 360 at launch, but the PS3 is looking like a Saturn at this point.

OMFG!

Burn the Heretic. Kill the Mutant. Purge the Unclean.

Quote from: "Destructor"
Hey! You stop insulting the Saturn like that!

The Saturn was a kickass 2D system that Sega completely and utterly fucked up the US launch for.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2006, 07:20:02 AM »

This is not a trial balloon. Companies float trial balloons to see how competitors react, not consumers. If they were trying to gauge how consumers react to various price points they would do that behind closed doors, through marketing surveys and focus groups.

Since Nintendo and Microsoft have already laid their cards on the table in terms of price points, the only reason they would bring this up is to start conditioning consumers for higher prices. Either that or Hirai's gone completely bat shit. Either possibility is just as likely.

I think you missed my point.

Cheers,
Hrothgar

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2006, 07:21:22 AM »

can someone please post what the link says,as the link isnt loading up for me for some reason

:cry:

thx

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2006, 08:22:33 AM »

The full quote, from the August issue of PSM (via GAF):

PSM: Can we expect PS3 games to be priced in the same range as Xbox 360 titles?

Kaz Hirai: Generally Speaking, over the past twelve years or so, there has been a consumer expectation that disc-based games are maybe $59 on the high end to $39 on the low end. So, what I can say now is, I think it would be a bit of a stretch to think that we could suddenly turn around and say "PS3 Games now $99.99." I don't think consumers expect software pricing to suddenly double. So, the quick answer is that we want to make it as affordable as possible, knowing that there is a set consumer expectation for what software has cost for the past twelve years. That's kind of the best answer I can give you. So, if it becomes a bit higher than $59, don't ding me, but, again, I don't expect it to be $100.

Read into it what you will.  Everybody else is. :wink:

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2006, 05:43:41 PM »

Suitably Ironic moniker, It's good to see you eventually got mypoint.  If I said, "Bob's rpg game", know one would know what I was talking about.  The nature of the point I was making meant I had to only use sequels.

And for anyone who selected a title or two and whined about the rest: I was trying to hit as broad a range of RPG's as I could that will clearly never see the light of day on the Xbox360.  I'm sorry for missing the Legend of Mana, Lunar, etc.  (Of course, I left out Final Fantasy on purpose...)

And No, I doubt MOST of those titles will ever be made.  The SMT game, suikoden6, and SH4 are likely.  The rest?  Probably won't happen.  But hopefully something else will step up to take their place.  (Maybe Xenosaga 3 wont suck?)

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2006, 05:51:21 PM »

I think you missed my point.

No, I got your point.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2006, 07:34:01 PM »

No, I got your point.
Hmm.  I can see how you  might  find insanity a more palatable option.

Cheers,
Hrothgar

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2006, 07:40:19 PM »

No, I got your point.

Listen, I got your point and disagreed with it. If you want to resort to one-liners rather than have an intelligent debate, fine.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2006, 07:59:04 PM »

I don't know about anyone else, but this reminds me of the old Neo-Geo system. $700 console and $100 game cartridges.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2006, 09:12:24 PM »

The only answer is that they want headlines.  More to the point, they don't want anyone else to get headlines.  If a wacky Sony exec is the big headline of the day or week, then nobody's talking about Nintendo's great E3 showing, 360 summer releases or their potentially big fall line up.  

Just cuz everyone knows the school losers name doesn't make him popular. As far as I can tell, the PS3 is going stag to the dance and it ain't by design.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2006, 10:12:52 PM »

No, I got your point.

Listen, I got your point and disagreed with it. If you want to resort to one-liners rather than have an intelligent debate, fine.
I'm sorry. I was only referring to Kaz and choosing between the options you gave.   I didn't mean offense.

Sony's being consistently outlandish.  I'd rather hope they haven't lost their collective minds, but right now your theory is as plausible as mine.  I try to be optimistic.  Then again, I was sure they could hit the $400 price point.  What do I know?

Cheers,
Hrothgar

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2006, 10:20:47 PM »

No, I got your point.

I'm sorry. I was only referring to Kaz and choosing between the options you gave.   I didn't mean offense.

Sony's being consistently outlandish.  I'd rather hope they haven't lost their collective minds, but right now your theory is as plausible as mine.  I try to be optimistic.  Then again, I was sure they could hit the $400 price point.  What do I know?

Ah, Now I see what you were were saying with that post.  Heh. Guess I missed that point you were trying to make.  smile Sorry I jumped on you like that.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2006, 11:20:16 PM »

And for anyone who selected a title or two and whined about the rest: I was trying to hit as broad a range of RPG's as I could that will clearly never see the light of day on the Xbox360.  I'm sorry for missing the Legend of Mana, Lunar, etc.  (Of course, I left out Final Fantasy on purpose...)

Well, considering how many of them are being published by Square Enix these days (DQ, Chrono, Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy, etc), and that Square Enix continues to diversify to multiple platforms, well... to say they'll "clearly never see the light of day on the Xbox 360" is a foolish statement.

Yes, they're more likely to be exclusive PS3 titles (if even published), but the more time goes on the more SE continues to diversify their library.

Heck, eleven years ago, if someone would've said "the Final Fantasy games are going to come out on a non-Nintendo console!" they would've been laughed at.  Then the Playstation came along and did the impossible: Sony snatched up Square exclusivity.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: