http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 08:32:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dear Esther, a Half Life 2 Mod  (Read 1206 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: February 12, 2011, 06:20:03 AM »

or at least it used to be, but now it's going commercial over the summer.  it was originally released in 2007, but they're re-making it.

The re-make features a completely new environment that pushes the Source engine into uncharted territory; a re-orchestrated soundtrack by composer Jessica Curry, new areas to explore and an expanded story.

it'll be interesting to see if they really push the Source Engine like they say they are.  here's their Mod-DB entry.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 09:24:37 AM »

The environments the artist has been making for this game really are astounding. He's been posting them in various 3d communities online and on his blog.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 01:08:09 AM »

Maybe I'm wrong here, but I think if they want more visibility on this thing they need to change the name.  As superficial as that may sound, I skipped over several articles (and this very thread) because I assumed this was something that wouldn't interest me. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 08:40:57 PM »

I thought it was a tribute to impossible staircases. Truthiness!

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 10:02:35 PM »

What do you need to have installed for a mod like this -- any Source engine game or does it have to be HL2?

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
cheeba

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 10:47:06 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on February 14, 2011, 01:08:09 AM

Maybe I'm wrong here, but I think if they want more visibility on this thing they need to change the name.  As superficial as that may sound, I skipped over several articles (and this very thread) because I assumed this was something that wouldn't interest me. 

Heh, the only reason I didn't skip over information about the game was because of its unusual name.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 08:36:55 PM »

arise!  this was somewhat delayed, but now it's set to go on sale February 14th: http://store.steampowered.com/app/203810/

Because I can,
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 09:50:27 PM »

Looks purty, but what the hell is it?

ďMy next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 08:25:42 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on January 18, 2012, 09:50:27 PM

Looks purty, but what the hell is it?

The original version (which was free) was interesting and trippy but not really a game.  You basically explored a deserted island, with each location you discovered triggering a monologue.  Over time the monologue's added up to an interesting story.  I won't spoil the ending, but it wasn't exactly happy.  From what I can tell this is just a deluxe version of that, but I'm not sure what would justify paying for it.  The replay value is basically that the monologues play in a different order (up to a point, anyway), but you didn't really do anything in the first version other then walk around the island.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 05:51:28 AM »

No impressions from anyone on this? I keep trying to play but it's like starting a slow book, I keep nodding off...  crybaby
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 05:55:32 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 05:54:34 AM »

As an experimental piece of computergame art, I guess its fine. To me, it was a very big letdown though, and isn't a game at all. Its more of an interactive experience..well, an experience more or less, not so much interactive.

I found the experiment severely lacking though - it just wasn't that interesting.

A new one
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 03:09:48 PM »

I don't mind less interactivity, these days poor mechanics are the most consistent factor in my lack of enjoyment of a game - The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite being the worst offenders for me so far this year. If games want to take out convoluted mechanics and focus on story and atmosphere, I'm all for it.

I just need to play this game earlier in the day rather than an hour before bed  icon_razz

Sean Lama
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 04:56:57 PM »

I really expected to like Dear Esther (standalone game) but I hated it.  Iím not using that word lightly or as an exaggeration either.  Dear Esther was my least favorite gaming experience of last year.  I would rather play Duke Nukem Forever again (shudder) than plod through that pretentious drivel one more time.

The cave environment looked nice thoughÖ
Rumpy

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2013, 05:25:12 PM »

Yeah, I played the original when it was free, and I could never understand why they were later selling it. There wasn't anything really compelling enough about it. Experiments are fine and all, but at least give the player a sense of worth and satisfaction if they're going to be paying for it.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2013, 06:21:13 PM »

I didn't mind it. It looked fantastic, particularly the caves section, and liked the somber tone of the setting, narration, and music. I probably wouldn't go through it a second time however.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 09:36:26 PM »

It reminds me of Myst. Are there puzzles in Dear Esther?

Sean Lama
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 09:53:12 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 11, 2013, 09:36:26 PM

No puzzles.  No interactivity of any kind really.  You just walk around (very slowly, 30% slower than the walk-speed in Half-life 2 if I recall correctly) while a narrator recites random bits of dialogue that are delivered in a random order. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 12:31:34 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on September 11, 2013, 09:53:12 PM

No puzzles.  No interactivity of any kind really.  You just walk around (very slowly, 30% slower than the walk-speed in Half-life 2 if I recall correctly) while a narrator recites random bits of dialogue that are delivered in a random order. 

looks like you can change the walking speed, but it may cause events to trigger incorrectly.

Because I can,
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 01:32:30 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 12, 2013, 12:31:34 AM

looks like you can change the walking speed, but it may cause events to trigger incorrectly.
A friend of mine increased the walk speed to 600%.  He finished the game in 15 minutes and said the game was great!  icon_lol
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2013, 06:37:36 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on September 12, 2013, 01:32:30 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on September 12, 2013, 12:31:34 AM

A friend of mine increased the walk speed to 600%.  He finished the game in 15 minutes and said the game was great!  icon_lol

I suppose that's the equivalent of using a cheat code to become invincible in another game and barreling through it.

Sean Lama
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2013, 07:08:40 PM »

Is there much in the way of UI/text needed to play this? People raved about it in the Rift, but most of them had played it before, so they knew what was going on. I'd love to experience it in the Rift for the first time, but that thing makes text well-nigh unreadable, and I'd hate for that to make me lost.

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 09:20:24 PM »

No UI and if I recall the only text is if you put on subtitles.  I did leave them on because I found the narratorís accent hard to understand.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2013, 04:59:45 PM »

I finished this last night. I actually fell asleep twice towards the end which is the first time in my life I've ever fallen asleep while playing a game. That's not to say I didn't enjoy the game because I did, I loved the sense of mystery and the atmosphere. And the caves! Oh, those caves...  drool

It's quite short, though. I think I paid less than $5 for it during a Steam sale, I hope no one paid more than that.

Sean Lama
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2013, 06:34:11 PM »

I figure when I see this for 99 cents I'll grab it just to check out the atmosphere, and probably the speed hack to make the speed at least the same as HL2.

Because I can,
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2013, 06:00:21 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 06, 2013, 06:34:11 PM

I figure when I see this for 99 cents I'll grab it just to check out the atmosphere, and probably the speed hack to make the speed at least the same as HL2.

You don't need the speed hack and if you do it's really not a game you should be bothering with, even for 99 cents.

Sean Lama
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2013, 03:27:53 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 07, 2013, 06:00:21 AM

You don't need the speed hack and if you do it's really not a game you should be bothering with, even for 99 cents.
I would disagree and say the environments are worth seeing for a $1, playing the way the developers intended, however, is not.  Speed hack away!   icon_razz
Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2013, 03:50:28 PM »

It sounds like I would dislike this even more than Gone Home.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2013, 05:27:27 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on October 07, 2013, 03:27:53 PM

I would disagree and say the environments are worth seeing for a $1, playing the way the developers intended, however, is not.  Speed hack away!   icon_razz

Why would you waste your time with the rest of the game to see some of the environments rather than watch high-res videos or look at screenshots? The caves last maybe 10 minutes, tops. I don't know, I guess I'm coming from the perspective of every gaming hour being precious, the few that I have left these days.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 05:29:10 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2013, 03:48:40 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 08, 2013, 05:27:27 AM

I would disagree and say the environments are worth seeing for a $1, playing the way the developers intended, however, is not.  Speed hack away!   icon_razz
Why would you waste your time with the rest of the game to see some of the environments rather than watch high-res videos or look at screenshots? The caves last maybe 10 minutes, tops. I don't know, I guess I'm coming from the perspective of every gaming hour being precious, the few that I have left these days.
I guess because itís a bit like sightseeing?  You could watch a video of almost any vacation spot on earth but wouldn't you rather explore it yourself instead of watching a video?  Plus youíre not really going to know if you like the game or not unless you try it for yourself.  I loathe the game but that doesnít mean everyone will; a dollar isnít much to find out.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2013, 05:05:17 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on October 08, 2013, 03:48:40 PM

Quote from: Ridah on October 08, 2013, 05:27:27 AM

I would disagree and say the environments are worth seeing for a $1, playing the way the developers intended, however, is not.  Speed hack away!   icon_razz
I guess because itís a bit like sightseeing?  You could watch a video of almost any vacation spot on earth but wouldn't you rather explore it yourself instead of watching a video?  Plus youíre not really going to know if you like the game or not unless you try it for yourself.  I loathe the game but that doesnít mean everyone will; a dollar isnít much to find out.

According to a lot of people, Dear Esther is just a video  Tongue

Sean Lama
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: