http://gamingtrend.com
July 28, 2014, 07:19:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dean Takahashi "Sony pleads with Third Parties not to abandon PS3"  (Read 4502 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2007, 01:44:11 AM »

Quote from: gellar on October 22, 2007, 01:00:32 AM

Did anyone think Rocky would beat the Russian dude?

considering the movie was called 'Rocky IV' and he was the big bad commie?  yeah.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2007, 02:23:05 AM »

Quote from: Brendan on October 21, 2007, 09:48:10 PM

Well, if you're giving us the smarts to decide to make a "calculated risk" of that magnitude, let's think about the risks here:

Possible gains for the company:  Save $x / console by using insufficient heat dissipation methods - in this case, I hope we can agree that x is less than, say, $5.  And that's a huge huge overestimate of the cost.  10 million consoles sold gives us 50 million in savings.

Possible losses for the company:  Console fails requiring warranty repair or replacement.  As we can see from the pre-allocation of a billion dollars for up to 10 million consoles, that's $100 per console.  The worst case scenario is the one that Microsoft is paying for now.

So, you may save $5 per console, but you risk losing $100 per console.

possible gains for the company (revised): early adaptation, with at least a years' worth of no next-gen competition, resulting in the accomplishment of your 2-out-of-3 metrics, &, of course, the creation of the possibility of a console future dominated by ms, with all the potential returns to be gotten from same...

possible losses for the company (revised): willingness to take a doable hit now (if it ever catches up with you, which it finally did, over a year & a half later), with the possibility of making it up many times over down the road, is definitely not a new strategy for ms, or a number of other companies...

ms is more than fiscally equipped to do calculations of this magnitude. it's not particularly 'smarts', it's just doing what one's capable of doing...

simply put: nothing big ventured, nothing big gained...

you may now (if you so desire) get the last word in smile - i'm done...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2007, 02:49:55 AM »

I think I'm done too.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2007, 02:57:34 AM »

Seriously - that'd be insane.  A billion dollars is an absolutely enormous amount of money, and if it costs you 50 million to make sure you don't get hit with that cost?  You pay it.  Additionally, it's the right thing to do to keep your customers satisfied.  I've had to send my 360 in for repairs, just like everyone else, and it certainly didn't make me very happy.  The design changes they made to mitigate this wouldn't have cost us the year's headway anyway.  Lack of consumer confidence could cost even more - if the games division hadn't offered up the three year warranty, I'm sure there'd be far fewer repeat customers in our future.

Unlike hardware development, you can't release a patch that solves a problem that's endemic to the physical design of a piece of electronics.  Your hypothesis could make sense in the software world though; every day, every software company finds bugs that they decide not to fix.  Why?  Because they think the scenario is too minor to warrant the investment of development and test resources, or risking a regression from making a change.  But in the worst cases, as long as the problem isn't in your setup engine or non-writeable ROM or whatever, you can fix it with an update.  Therefore, for software, many companies do make that exact calculation you're positing.

Anwyway, publicly traded companies have a responsibility to their shareholders to return something for people's investments.  If you want happy investors, you don't throw away enormous sums of money.  Right?

---

Re: Biggercup:  Japan is an interesting market because, while it's always been very very important as a tastemaker, it doesn't have the same sales potential as Europe and North America.  I think Microsoft's efforts in Japan have been less about selling consoles, and more about getting Japanese developers on board to produce content that can be resold in other regions.  Of course, you can't have the latter without the former, so there's a catch 22 in place.  Sony's got the advantage of being a native son and the established relationships with Square, Konami, etc.  If those guys don't move to the Wii, I expect that they'll eventually go multiplatform simply because of the financial need:  there's not enough money in being PS3 only anymore because their market share is so small.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2007, 03:37:47 AM »

Conspiracy Theorists:  1
Logic Advocates:  1

damn, we got a tie.

Because I can,
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2007, 04:16:49 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 22, 2007, 03:37:47 AM

Conspiracy Theorists:  1
Logic Advocates:  1

damn, we got a tie.

Yeah but only one side gets to wear the cool hat.

gellar
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2007, 12:39:05 PM »

I think it is ludicrous to believe that Microsoft released the 360 knowing full well its high probability of failure. I can believe that MS could have seen some units overheat in testing, and assumed they were exception conditions and that the core design and manufacturing process was sound. No way does MS release a hardware product knowing it would fail as badly as the 360 has.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2007, 02:10:34 PM »

Quote from: JCC on October 22, 2007, 12:39:05 PM

I think it is ludicrous to believe that Microsoft released the 360 knowing full well its high probability of failure. I can believe that MS could have seen some units overheat in testing, and assumed they were exception conditions and that the core design and manufacturing process was sound. No way does MS release a hardware product knowing it would fail as badly as the 360 has.

You would assume (and I sure as hell hope) that this is true, but only Microsoft knows the truth.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2007, 04:41:42 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 22, 2007, 01:44:11 AM

Quote from: gellar on October 22, 2007, 01:00:32 AM

Did anyone think Rocky would beat the Russian dude?

considering the movie was called 'Rocky IV' and he was the big bad commie?  yeah.

just before i went to the cinema to see it,i got told that Rocky died........but,obviously,it wasnt Rocky,it was Apollo...damn you Drago!!! icon_evil

oh and CK,you should of seen rocky IV before you knew there was(or going to be) a ROCKY V(and VI)

i often think that Japan is the place for PS3 sales,and North America is the place for 360 sales...and Europe in the middle,here in Europe i am under the impression(as i really havent got a clue) that the 360 is doing the best,but PS3 isnt doing as badly as it is doing in NA

all this,not counting or even caring about the Wii..i have taken that out of this equation

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
unbreakable
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2007, 04:50:08 PM »

Quote from: warning on October 21, 2007, 10:04:41 PM

The PS3 is the new Gamecube.

Except that the Gamecube was profitable for Nintendo and I doubt the PS3 ever becomes profitable for Sony.  The PS3 is the new Dreamcast maybe?  Jaguar?  3DO?

The PS3 probably won't ever be a win for Sony's games division, but if it manages to get Blu-Ray into an accepted standard, it might be a win for the company.

But it could also be fighting a huge war over nothing, since if neither Blu-Ray nor HD-DVD become wins in the marketplace (and I really, really doubt they will), then Sony may have gained a pyrrhic victory.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2007, 04:54:40 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 22, 2007, 04:41:42 PM

i often think that Japan is the place for PS3 sales,and North America is the place for 360 sales...and Europe in the middle,here in Europe i am under the impression(as i really havent got a clue) that the 360 is doing the best,but PS3 isnt doing as badly as it is doing in NA

Except PS3 is doing horribly in Japan too. 
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2007, 05:12:03 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 20, 2007, 09:32:04 AM

wow,this sounds like SONY are very desperate...before the PS3 was released,i witness a very smug company,who were full of themselves and their future console,who were certain whatever they put out the public would buy....here it sounds like they are finally humbled

people on the PS3 forums are already talking about the PS3 being SONYs last console

to be honest i feel 2007 is dead for them,heavenly sword made very little if any difference and ratchet and uncharted may bring a tad of interest,but nothing major IMO,of course i think the sales will rise this month and next because of price cut and xmas,but nothing that will really pull it out of the waters

...around April(or the month surrounding it) will see the best month for PS3...HOME,GTA4,MGS4,maybe even killzone 2...after all these games come out(FF13 prolly isnt due 'til 2009)i will wait to see what the PS3s reception is like then...if after they come out and the console slumps back down...then i will feel the same way that there wont be a playstation 4,right now though i cant see SONY not being in the console market(its not like SONY will do a SEGA and only do games)

just out of interest,how has this first year been for the PS3 compared to the first year of the SEGA dreamcast?<<if anyone knows

If this is desperation, then Microsoft and Toshiba throwing buckets of dough at Paramount, for them to go HD DVD exclusive, is desperation also.

Interesting that lobbying developers to stay the course on the console is desperation, I thought it was known by all that in the electronics biz this stuff was commonplace.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2007, 05:17:21 PM »

Spin it however you want but the fact is it is desperation. Sony never had to do anything like that previously. Everybody released games on Sony's platform no matter how they were treated before because it was the top dog, now they aren't anymore and they have to finally get off their "throne" and grovel a little. I think its pretty amusing myself. They needed a little humbling and I think it will make them a better company in the long run.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2007, 05:24:21 PM »

Quote from: warning on October 21, 2007, 10:04:41 PM

The PS3 is the new Gamecube.

Except that the Gamecube was profitable for Nintendo and I doubt the PS3 ever becomes profitable for Sony.  The PS3 is the new Dreamcast maybe?  Jaguar?  3DO?

If you want to draw comparisons to a past Nintendo console, the PS3 is much more like the N64. And in reflecting upon the similarities to the N64 situation, Sony really needs to be most concerned about the way in which 3rd party support fell out from under the N64.

I wouldn't agree that the PS3's situation is like any of the other consoles you list, only because those consoles didn't have anywhere near the 1st and 2nd party games that Sony has built up. Sure Sony's software pedigree may have not yet equaled that of Big N's, but it's still better than anything those other failed consoles had. Some may argue that Sega had on par library for the Dreamcast, but I sure wouldn't.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 05:26:23 PM by kronovan » Logged
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2007, 05:44:40 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on October 22, 2007, 05:17:21 PM

Spin it however you want but the fact is it is desperation. Sony never had to do anything like that previously. Everybody released games on Sony's platform no matter how they were treated before because it was the top dog, now they aren't anymore and they have to finally get off their "throne" and grovel a little. I think its pretty amusing myself. They needed a little humbling and I think it will make them a better company in the long run.

Who is spinning anything? Man, you guys and your hate towards companies...sheesh.

They know it isn't doing well, I think we can all acknowledge that, so what is wrong with them shoring up the base and making sure dev's don't jump ship? If they weren't doing this and they started leaving Sony's flock, then you people would be in here ripping them for NOT doing this. They just can't win with you guys.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2007, 05:49:07 PM »

To be honest it's amusing to me and also a bit vindicating. I bought a N64 on release day and experienced how 3rd party support shrank away to the point where at best there was a good game every other month. I also recall the way in which Sony conducted themselves at the time with some of the most shameless falsifications and outright BS a console manufacturer has ever spewed out.

Big N learned from their mistakes and I have no doubt Sony will too. I'm genuinely hoping they do because I want them to continue to developing and adding to their excellent game library; I do plan on eventually owning a PS3. But for now they're going to have to eat some of their words of the past.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2007, 07:08:53 PM »

Things we already apparently know about this generation of gaming consoles:

1. All gaming is moving towards the casuals
2. Sony is doomed

That sum it up right?  disgust
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2007, 07:30:07 PM »

3. PC gaming is dead.  Or undead.  Or a zombie.

gellar
unbreakable
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2007, 07:33:18 PM »

Quote from: gellar on October 22, 2007, 07:30:07 PM

3. PC gaming is dead.  Or undead.  Or a zombie.

gellar

This has to be true, since people have been telling us PC gaming is dead for over ten years now.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2007, 12:57:07 AM »

4. Cannibals like SPAM because it tastes like people.

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2007, 06:15:43 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 22, 2007, 04:41:42 PM

all this,not counting or even caring about the Wii..i have taken that out of this equation

i told you i didnt have a clue what i was talking about

PS3 spank 360 in europe

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=174190

Xbox 360 was last week outsold by everything except Game Boy as PS3 sales make a charge for Wii's typically huge lead.

This follows the September 360 rush, as gamers eager to snap up some Halo 3 action pushed sales of Microsoft's console above that of Wii.

But on the week ending 21 October, European 360 sales settled at 37,000 - bottom of the current-generation list by a fair shot.

Meanwhile, here recent PS3 price cuts, which saw the launch of a cut-down 40GB PS3 for 299 and the 60GB model slashed to 349, has launched PS3 sales to a touch over 64,000 in the same week, falling just 6,000 sales short of Wii.

There's still no contest for DS though, which sold 171,000 in Europe last week according to VGChartz figures, and will surely soon outnumber humans on the planet.

Here are the hardware figures for Europe for the week ending 21 Oct:

DS: 171,260

Wii: 70,322

PS3: 64,087

PS2: 57,152

PSP: 54,449

360: 37,303

GBA: 2,2861

Total: 456,859

now would be a good time to get that price cut in that Japan have just had,seen as though MS say they want to concentrate on Europe now

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2007, 08:18:40 PM »

weird,... looks like that 'sony pleads with euro-consumers to buy ps3' rumor i'd heard about might actually be true...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2007, 08:31:13 PM »

Quote from: jblank on October 22, 2007, 05:44:40 PM

Who is spinning anything? Man, you guys and your hate towards companies...sheesh.

Who's spinning? You are dude. I explained pretty simply what it was too.

somoflange
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2007, 02:40:09 PM »

Thanks for the disclaimer. I'll be nice   icon_twisted

I take all the "OMFG Sony is in teh garbage" reports with a grain of salt.

It's gotten kinda old at this point, but if you look at the console sales numbers the PS3 and the Xbox have damn near identical sales numbers for their first year. That's impressive considering the lack of quality games and steep price on PS3 at launch.

When you look at the actual numbers, Sony is fairly equally distributed in all regions, where MS leans very heavily to the US market.

Considering the guy won't name sources, and doesn't name specific vendors it sounds like the same bullshit FUD as the rest of the articles I read.

So I'll repeat what I said earlier. Sony has done exactly as well as the Xbox 360 in the same time period, with a price almost double what the Xbox was, and with fewer games. How is that a failure in comparison?

They haven't even released the big games like Ratchet and Clank (ok, that's today), Uncharted, MGS4, Assassin's Creed (not exclusive, but should be good), UT3, Haze.

If you search metacritic for both platforms, sort by score, you see the "no good games for PS3" line is a load of crap.  it doesn't have as many as I would have liked in year one, but honestly neither did the Wii. In the coming months, all systems will be FLOODED with quality titles, and it's going to make for an interesting holiday sales season.

The only thing that worries me as a PS3 owner is Sony is going to continue to be attacked by people who have never touched a PS3 to the point that the Microsoft FUD machine actually convinces people it's better to have a machine that breaks down fortnightly over something that costs a bit more. Judging by the rumblings in most forums though, they have to do something soon too.

Interesting times.

PSN: plantatreeforlee
Live: blastdsamoflanj
unbreakable
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2007, 04:34:13 PM »

Quote from: somoflange on October 24, 2007, 02:40:09 PM

So I'll repeat what I said earlier. Sony has done exactly as well as the Xbox 360 in the same time period, with a price almost double what the Xbox was, and with fewer games. How is that a failure in comparison?

Because their costs are higher?  Because customers may end up unsatisfied with the purchase?  Because the game library doesn't look like it's going to expand very much?

Just speculating.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2007, 08:03:32 PM »

actually selling the console is one problem for SONY....but as for me,as i have bought a PS3,i am more worried whether SONY are going to do anything about...

...THIS.>>>>http://kotaku.com/gaming/great/midway-struggling-with-blacksite-ps3-314569.php

According to an Opposable Thumbs tipster, Midway's Blacksite: Area 51 for the PS3 is having development issues just as we'd seen on Stanglehold. The tipster said:

"The PS3 version is experiencing issues and missed deadlines...Midway isn't happy at all about the progress, and it's a story I've heard over and over this year across the industry when it comes to the PS3 and cross-platform titles.
Opposable Thumbs astutely points out that it could be the PS3 Unreal 3 engine serving as a common thread between these delays, so this is potentially just more bad news for Midway, Sony and Epic. But hey, who wants ice cream?

PS3 Blacksite plagued with development trouble, says insider [opposablethumbs]

With stranglehold already having problems and other numerous titles having frame rate problems,this i feel is the first problem they have to fix...a new month,a new title/developer having problems so it now feels....whether it is their(SONYs) fault or the 'lazy' developers..they should get to the root of the problem,for the sake of the actual people who did buy their machine.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2007, 02:57:58 AM »

It's both.  In all frankness, Sony seriously screwed up the early devkit releases.  From what I heard, the dev kits were poor, and didn't contain the documentation and tools that people needed, especiall with the Cell architecture being so different.  These days it's a lot better now that Sony has its engineers and first party developers working on games, and writing documentation on the cell architecture, but boy has it taken time to get there.

But also, it's also partly an issue the Unreal 3 engine, which all these delayed games use.  Epic promised easy cross platform use, but didn't deliver.  But then again, it's also an issue of Sony not giving Epic the support it should have, considering that Epic handles UE3, which a bajillion games use now.  Now it looks like all problems are ironed out and UT3 is running very well on the system as evidenced by a recent hands on of UT3 on the PS3, and the fact that Epic is now in a deal to make an exclusive PS3 title.

The problem is that all these games were made a while back with code that doesn't use those PS3 fixes and enhancements, as such the developers often had to write code around those problems.  I suspect the latest round of delays isn't so much more developer problems encountered, but rather the developers now having to go back and merge the engine code bases along with getting their own game specific code to work with the new code that's come out of Sony and Epic partnering up.

It's a pretty messed up situation.  In fact, you can clearly see that it's primarily UE3 engine games that are having delay problems with the PS3.  Games developed with other engines or proprietary engines aren't having as many issues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2007, 03:20:40 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on October 25, 2007, 02:57:58 AM

the fact that Epic is now in a deal to make an exclusive PS3 title.

I've played the demo- not a big deal IMO.  UT3 seems to be a step backwards from UT2004  icon_frown  it plays too much like UT2003.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2007, 03:49:11 AM »

That's more an opinion on the game, my comments were on the engine, which now works fine on the PS3.

However, that's a really bad sign that UT3 plays like 2003, I agree a huge step backwards.
unbreakable
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2007, 05:35:59 AM »

The only reason Epic is putting so much effort into the PS3 is because they know whatever engine they create will essentially form the basis of just about every PS3 game afterward, at least for a really long time.  If they have to go through all that trouble... and they SPECIALIZE in creating 3d game engines... what chance does any other developer have?  It will be easier (and probably far better) for a developer to simply license Epic's engine, rather than reinventing that particular wheel.

If Epic can get it working, it's totally worth it for them.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 05:38:51 AM by unbreakable » Logged
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2007, 05:47:36 AM »

Don't forget that ID finally has a new engine out, Id Tech 5, and early reports say it can do everything unreal does, and even in its current state, Carmack has gotten the engine running flawlessly on both the PC, 360, and PS3.  So Epic is also seeing competition ahead.  Combine that with the megatexture tech, which looks like it could speed up development times a bit by making developers not have to spend time matching tiled textures all the time, and anything Epic can do to make UE3 more developer friendly now means less will move to IT5.

It's kind of interesting seeing the engine wars heating up again alongside the console wars.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2007, 04:51:55 PM »

more ouch...but still a profit in other departments

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=174488

Sony said Thursday that quarterly operating losses for its games unit had more than doubled, but that it hoped the division would break even or better in the second half of the financial year.

The Japanese electronics giant posted a gaming unit operating loss of 96.7 billion yen ($847.6 million) for the quarter ended in September, down 53.2 billion yen year-on-year, which it attributed largely to the price point of its PlayStation 3 console.

"In the game segment, operating loss increased primarily due to the loss arising from strategic pricing of PS3 at points lower than its production cost and the increase in PS3-related inventory write-downs recorded during the current quarter compared to the same quarter of the previous year," the company said in a statement.

During the quarter Sony sold 1.31 million PlayStation 3s and 10.3 million PS3 software units globally. The ageing PS2 notched up 3.28 million sales and 38 million game sales, while the company also shifted 2.58 million units of its handheld PSP console and 12.6 million games for the system.

Sony said it would aim to break even or better in its game business in the second half of the business year to March, reports Reuters.

The company lifted its PSP sales target for the full financial year by 1 million units to 10 million. It also said it expects to sell 12 million PlayStation 2 consoles during the same period, 2 million more than previously estimated. The company feels it is still on track to sell 11 million PlayStation 3s during the current financial year.

The games division losses weren't enough to stop Sony posting a quarterly operating profit across its full business however. Overall Sony's quarterly operating profit reached 90.5 billion yen, compared to a loss of 20.83 billion during the same period last year. Growth was largely driven by strong LCD TV, camera and camcorder sales.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2007, 07:07:09 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 25, 2007, 04:51:55 PM

more ouch...but still a profit in other departments

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=174488

During the quarter Sony sold 1.31 million PlayStation 3s and 10.3 million PS3 software units globally. The ageing PS2 notched up 3.28 million sales and 38 million game sales, while the company also shifted 2.58 million units of its handheld PSP console and 12.6 million games for the system.

So from these numbers we can see that their software to hardware sales ratio is about 8:1 for the PS3, 12:1 for the PS2 and about 5:1 for the PSP. Yet the PSP is outselling the PS3 at almost a 2:1 ratio.  Is it just me or is there something wrong with this picture. If I was Sony I'd be throwing a lot more development effort behind the PSP and try to get more AAA must have games on it. The development cost are probably a lot lower and the resulting profits that much higher.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2007, 07:21:41 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on October 25, 2007, 07:07:09 PM

So from these numbers we can see that their software to hardware sales ratio is about 8:1 for the PS3, 12:1 for the PS2 and about 5:1 for the PSP. Yet the PSP is outselling the PS3 at almost a 2:1 ratio.  Is it just me or is there something wrong with this picture. If I was Sony I'd be throwing a lot more development effort behind the PSP and try to get more AAA must have games on it. The development cost are probably a lot lower and the resulting profits that much higher.

You have to look at it versus the entire installed base.  PSP has a signficantly higher overall install base than PS3 but was barely able to outsell PS3 in software despite software prices almost half that of PS3 software.

PSP software sales are absolutely horrible right now.  Sony may be moving some hardware but people are either using their PSPs strictly as portable media centers or as pirate machines. 
unbreakable
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2007, 08:03:45 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 25, 2007, 07:21:41 PM

PSP software sales are absolutely horrible right now.  Sony may be moving some hardware but people are either using their PSPs strictly as portable media centers or as pirate machines. 

I still can't figure out why Sony downplayed the PSP's gaming capabilities.  How do they generate more income with a one-time purchase?  Just complete and utter stupidity...
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2007, 08:10:16 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 25, 2007, 07:21:41 PM

Quote from: kronovan on October 25, 2007, 07:07:09 PM

You have to look at it versus the entire installed base.  PSP has a significantly higher overall install base than PS3 but was barely able to outsell PS3 in software despite software prices almost half that of PS3 software.

I can see your point here Kevin, it has crossed my mind more than once that by developing & maketing the PSP as a whiz bang media device they could be shooting themselves in the foot for game sales. It just seems to me that Sony's not making enough effort to deliver enough quality games to the PSP. Case in point, if I query gamerankings for the PSP for the past 2 quarters I see 4  games from Sony of which only 3 were ranked good or better; albeit J D'Arc and Syphon Filter were solid AAA games. Whereas the same query for the DS finds 6 games from Nintendo all ranked good or better and 2 of them stellar AAA titles. I don't think this problem is only restricted to the PSP. With no guarantees from 3rd parties this gen, Sony's going to need to become more like Big N and find ways to develop more quality games that can sell their systems.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2007, 08:26:32 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on October 25, 2007, 08:10:16 PM

I can see your point here Kevin, it has crossed my mind more than once that by developing & maketing the PSP as a whiz bang media device they could be shooting themselves in the foot for game sales. It just seems to me that Sony's not making enough effort to deliver enough quality games to the PSP. Case in point, if I query gamerankings for the PSP for the past 2 quarters I see 4  games from Sony of which only 3 were ranked good or better; albeit J D'Arc and Syphon Filter were solid AAA games. Whereas the same query for the DS finds 6 games from Nintendo all ranked good or better and 2 of them stellar AAA titles. I don't think this problem is only restricted to the PSP. With no guarantees from 3rd parties this gen, Sony's going to need to become more like Big N and find ways to develop more quality games that can sell their systems.

Yeah, I agree but the quality software Sony does put out doesn't do well. Syphon Filter got fantastic reviews but didn't do much sales and I expect the equally reviewed sequel will do worse.  Jeanne D'Arc only did 16k last month.  It was an August release but that's still abysmal. 

There is tons of quality software on the PSP but people aren't buying. 
unbreakable
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2007, 09:07:27 PM »

Those types of games tend to do better on either PCs or full consoles.  No matter how good your FPS is, it isn't going to get people to buy a PSP (or a DS).  I have two FPS games on the DS, and really like them (Metroid and Brothers in Arms)... but it's hard to play for a really long time.  The device is just too small, and it gets uncomfortable.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2007, 09:39:47 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on October 25, 2007, 09:07:27 PM

Those types of games tend to do better on either PCs or full consoles.  No matter how good your FPS is, it isn't going to get people to buy a PSP (or a DS).  I have two FPS games on the DS, and really like them (Metroid and Brothers in Arms)... but it's hard to play for a really long time.  The device is just too small, and it gets uncomfortable.

And further to your comments on the type of games. With the PSP now in a price range that make it attractive as a gift for a kid, why isn't a Sly Cooper game coming out this holiday quarter; is there even 1 announced at all? As well, how the Hell did Sony slip on God of War and end up targeting it for Q1 of 08. With sales of the PSP good right now, it would be a real clincher for many holiday season buyers if they could get the latest in 1 of Sony's top franchises. Both of these games point to unwise planning or decisions on behalf of Sony.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2007, 11:58:37 PM »

The reason?  It's because the Wii exists.  Games that'd be on the older PS2 or PSP go to the Wii, or a PSP/PS2/Wii multiplatform.  On top of that, all Sony first party developers are working on PS3 games, except maybe the guys doing God of War PSP.

However, one thing to note is that Sony actually makes a profit on all PSP system sales, not much, but they do make a small profit off each system.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: