http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 10:14:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dead Space  (Read 34348 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #440 on: December 17, 2009, 03:24:14 PM »

By the way, the movie was not bad (and it's on Netflix watch instantly if you have it), but as someone mentioned, it seems to have an oddly large amount of profanity.

It seems like they probably won't do it at this point, but I would like it if they did a story/comic/something about

Spoiler for Hiden:
the creation of the red marker and what happened when it was placed on Aegis VII. Best I have been able to gather, there was a prior colony, and it was somehow responsible for creating the hive mind and the genetic goop, but the marker was also responsible for keeping it at bay. A little confusing.

One odd thing from the movie was that they made a point of showing the goop on the wheels of the gurneys being brought on the ship, but then explained the presence of the necromorphs due to a stowaway on a shuttle the made it to the Ishimura. Unless the goop part was what was responsible for all the growth on the ship and the necromorph was separately responsible for just turning the dead bodies.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: December 17, 2009, 04:43:45 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 17, 2009, 03:15:00 PM

Quote from: TiLT on December 17, 2009, 03:05:41 PM

Quote from: Teggy on December 17, 2009, 02:40:47 PM

So, I've now watched the comics and the movie, and neither told the story of
Spoiler for Hiden:
the bodies with the socks over their heads.
Is that explained anywhere?

Spoiler for Hiden:
You mean next to the "basketball" field near the end of the game? The spooky room with all the corpses? In the movie (or the comics, I can't recall) there was a scene where a group of fanatics comitted mass suicide. I assumed they did the same thing in this room, for the same reasons.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Yeah. In the comic they all just brought guns and blew their brains out. I was hoping it would be explained how they all came to put the socks on their heads and who administered the hole right into their forehead.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Not that I recall.  More crazy Unitoligist shit!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #442 on: December 18, 2009, 11:35:12 PM »

I think that group was another group that killed themselves, not the same ones as the movie.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #443 on: December 19, 2009, 09:24:20 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 18, 2009, 11:35:12 PM

I think that group was another group that killed themselves, not the same ones as the movie.

I think we all agree on that already.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: December 19, 2009, 07:44:11 PM »

Finally finished up the last boss this morning. The extra logs they give you are pretty enlightening. I'm still hoping they give more background on what exactly happened in the past.

The thing that isn't making sense:
Spoiler for Hiden:
The marker seems to have been made to keep the necromorphs at bay, but then why would the necromorph dna be imprinted on it so that others could recreate them? Unless that is the way the marker works - write the dna of whatever it is supposed to work against on it.

The other thing that is a little puzzling is the effect of the marker. Having it give people hallucinations in order to put the marker back where it belongs makes sense. Having it give people headaches and go crazy does not.

I guess there could be two possibilities there:
1. Humans are not the expected users of the marker, so there were unexpected side effects or
2. Even though the scientists thought there were no functional differences between the original marker and the red marker, that may not be the case.

Was it ever explained what became of the original marker?

The military suit is pretty badass.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #445 on: December 19, 2009, 07:54:54 PM »

Teggy:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I don't think any of those things have been explained so far. The Ishimura incident seems to focus exclusively on the here and now, instead of trying to realize exactly what the Marker is and what its purpose may be. We get no more than hints, and you seem to have picked those up already. I expect Dead Space 2 will explain more of its origins.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: December 19, 2009, 08:28:54 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on December 19, 2009, 07:54:54 PM

Teggy:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I don't think any of those things have been explained so far. The Ishimura incident seems to focus exclusively on the here and now, instead of trying to realize exactly what the Marker is and what its purpose may be. We get no more than hints, and you seem to have picked those up already. I expect Dead Space 2 will explain more of its origins.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Yeah Teg, they never explain what happened with the original marker or what it really was.  The red marker on aegis 7 is supposed to be designated marker 3a, what that means is currently left open to interpretation.  Supposedly DS2 will explore more about the gov't and unitologist dealings with regard to the marker.

I love the back-story for this game...I hope they keep it going strong with DS2.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 02, 2010, 01:58:57 AM »

Dead Space gear, now for your XBL Avatar biggrin

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/avatar/catalog.aspx?d=25&g=-1&bt=0&br=-1&sb=1&p=1&gi=66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80245410857
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: April 24, 2010, 12:47:37 AM »

Without digging into this 12 page thread, I wanted to ask if anyone is aware of which version is supposed to play the smoothest? I know there are some slowdown issues with the game.

I should add, I played 3/4 of the way through on 360 around a year ago, maybe more. I decided I wanted to start the game again and play the whole way through, so I stopped at a GameStop on the way home from work to pick up a copy. I prefer to play my games on the PS3 if possible, so I asked one of the clerks if she happened to know which version was better (I was cursing myself for not researching this beforehand). This other doofus clerk steps in claiming to know, and recommends the PS3 version which he says runs smoother. 

So now, I'm somewhere in chapter 2 and I'm completely put off by the slowdown. It's been a while since I played the 360 version but I'm almost certain there weren't this many framerate dips otherwise I would have dropped it early on. I have half a mind to tell the GS clerk off (in a civil way) for being a Sony fanboy and misleading customers, but I want a little more verification before I do.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 12:59:51 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: April 24, 2010, 01:18:28 AM »

i only played the 360 version sorry...all i can say is that i don't remember any problems(at least i didn't notice any) with that version

fab game though

shame as i think there are demos of the game on both PSN and the Marketplace,you could of tried them out first(if the demos act the same as the full games)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: April 24, 2010, 02:24:23 AM »

Played it on the PS3 and don't recall any problems, either. A quick Google found this in the Gamespot forums, allegedly posted from IGN Insider:

The 360 and PS3 versions of the game are all but indistinguishable. There is a small difference in the ways each render color, but with Dead Space's flexible brightness customization, you should be able to get an equally impressive image with both versions. Dead Space doesn't always have the smoothest framerate. You'll notices some hitches if you make wide camera swings in new areas. There's also a bit of slowdown in some rooms with a lot of enemies. This happened in equal measure on both the 360 and PS3. Videophiles might have some issues with the slowdown, but I actually found it enhanced the play experience, exacerbating the sense of fear and helplessness. Finally, you'll get a terrifically detailed and atmospheric game on both consoles, neither is inherently better than the other.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: April 24, 2010, 02:26:55 AM »

played it on the 360 and PC without any issues except for the PC having floaty controls when vsync is enabled and a lot of tearing when it's off.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: April 24, 2010, 03:12:19 AM »

Played it on PS3 and it was technically flawless.  I know some hard core audiophiles think the PS3 sound is far superior as well (I believe it has DTS support). 
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: April 24, 2010, 03:20:36 AM »

I think the PS3 was slightly better technically.

I didn't have problems with it on the PS3.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: April 24, 2010, 05:29:08 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 24, 2010, 03:12:19 AM

Played it on PS3 and it was technically flawless.  I know some hard core audiophiles think the PS3 sound is far superior as well (I believe it has DTS support). 

This....the sound on the ps3 was amazing.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #455 on: April 25, 2010, 03:21:12 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 24, 2010, 03:12:19 AM

I'd personally chalk that up to placebo effect, but whatever makes 'em happy.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: September 26, 2010, 02:45:40 AM »

Okay, so I'm coming up to the end of Chapter 6 (en route to the Leviathan fight) and I like the presentation of the game more so than the game itself. On the whole, the game is one giant FedEx mission (Part A is broken, go to Regions AA, AB, and AC to pick up parts X, Y, Z, then go to Region AD to perform a duty, then back to the tram for the next chapter). But the presentation is absolutely outstanding. I love the graphics, love how information/cinematics/events are all done in-game (and usually right in your face) because it maintains the solid level of dread without ever taking you out of it. The load times, while not seamless, are very well masked. I dig all of the characters, and when this game does freaky it takes it to an 11 (
Spoiler for Hiden:
for me, the girl who cuts her own throat early on was bad but not as unnerving as finding a bloodsoaked woman at the end of one hall just standing there in hysterics, her mind completely and utterly broken
). Also the enemies are cool at first, but after several chapters of the same thing the novelty wears off.

I think the biggest disappointment with the game is that it's a series of fetch quests. They could have added rescuing survivors ala Dead Rising or doing something other than finding part X to fit into slot Y constantly, and it would have made things much more diverse. At which point I'd have no complaints. I'm going to go through until the end because, like I said, I'm enjoying it overall. I just wish there was more 'there' there.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: