http://gamingtrend.com
November 23, 2014, 02:52:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dead Space  (Read 34449 times)
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: December 20, 2008, 02:02:24 AM »

Turtle, I don't have a link handy, but someone did translate all the alien text.  You could probably find it without searching too long.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: April 27, 2009, 03:45:02 PM »

I picked this up for free over the weekend and I have to say I'm alot more impressed with the game than I was with the demo.  so far my favorite weapon is the plasma cutter- I haven't bought any of the others yet since it seems to be pretty effective, but I may grab the flamethrower to deal with those little swarm creatures I just started running into.  I have to say I'm getting a heavy Doom vibe from this game, but in a good way, and it's mainly due to the feel of the environment.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 27, 2009, 06:11:22 PM »

I got the Doom vibe too... Repetitive level design galore  icon_confused

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 27, 2009, 06:42:24 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on April 27, 2009, 06:11:22 PM

I got the Doom vibe too... Repetitive level design galore  icon_confused

Actually I thought the level design was great, especially the anti gravity levels.  The lack of enemy variety was my only problem with the game.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 01, 2009, 05:16:30 PM »

I like the anti-grav stuff.  about the only thing I haven't liked yet is the ADS gun sequences.  I just finished the second one, and while doing so realized that both triggers fire a different cannon, which probably would have made the first sequence easier  icon_redface

I'm not sure how much I have left, I think I'm on level 9 in the crashed ship but it's been a fun ride so far.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: May 01, 2009, 06:43:26 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 01, 2009, 05:16:30 PM

I like the anti-grav stuff.  about the only thing I haven't liked yet is the ADS gun sequences.  I just finished the second one, and while doing so realized that both triggers fire a different cannon, which probably would have made the first sequence easier  icon_redface

I'm not sure how much I have left, I think I'm on level 9 in the crashed ship but it's been a fun ride so far.

You're not alone in disliking the gun sequences.  Seems to be the biggest gripe.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: May 03, 2009, 03:22:15 AM »

wow, the beginning of level 10 is effectively creepy.  those of you who played know what I'm talking about:

Spoiler for Hiden:
the bodies with the bags over their heads, set up like a cult suicide with the ghostly womans voice in the background singing 'Twinkle Twinkle little star'.  I beheaded all of them just to be on the safe side.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 03, 2009, 05:55:13 AM »

well, finished it up.  that was one hell of a ride, and I didn't see that little twist coming:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I knew the girlfriend was dead, but didn't have a clue Kendra would betray me like that.  If they hinted she was going to I completely missed it.

The Resident Evil folks need to take a look at this game and realize you can have lots of tension while being able to MOVE AND SHOOT AT THE SAME TIME!

Because I can,
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: May 03, 2009, 01:42:47 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 03, 2009, 05:55:13 AM

well, finished it up.  that was one hell of a ride, and I didn't see that little twist coming:

Spoiler for Hiden:
I knew the girlfriend was dead, but didn't have a clue Kendra would betray me like that.  If they hinted she was going to I completely missed it.

Yeah.  That kind of freaked me out too.  It came out of nowhere.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: May 03, 2009, 04:07:32 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on May 03, 2009, 01:42:47 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on May 03, 2009, 05:55:13 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Yeah.  That kind of freaked me out too.  It came out of nowhere.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I think the hint was that there was no hint.

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 03, 2009, 06:46:35 PM »

I absolutely loved this game, and played it through in about a week. It also pretty much made me constantly repeat the sentence "Oooh, that's not right" over and over again.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 08, 2009, 04:47:26 AM »

After stalling on Thief, Silent Hill 2 and a bunch of others, I decided I needed to stop playing scary games. But...on black friday I picked up Dead Space and Dead Space Extraction for $45. I believe I am right at the end of chapter 3 and this game is totally starting to freak me out! The beginning wasn't too bad, but once
Spoiler for Hiden:
you start getting to parts of the ship that have the alien growing on it
things start to get crazy. I don't know if I am going to make it 9 more chapters! I'm such a wuss  icon_lol

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 08, 2009, 04:54:23 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 08, 2009, 04:47:26 AM

After stalling on Thief, Silent Hill 2 and a bunch of others, I decided I needed to stop playing scary games. But...on black friday I picked up Dead Space and Dead Space Extraction for $45. I believe I am right at the end of chapter 3 and this game is totally starting to freak me out! The beginning wasn't too bad, but once
Spoiler for Hiden:
you start getting to parts of the ship that have the alien growing on it
things start to get crazy. I don't know if I am going to make it 9 more chapters! I'm such a wuss  icon_lol

thumbsup  It's a great game, Teggy, with more creepy shit to come!  Keep going!
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 11, 2009, 03:30:29 PM »

Oh, Leo I hate you, I was scanning through this thread and you put a huge spoiler outside of spoiler tags on page 10  crybaby

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 11, 2009, 03:33:31 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 11, 2009, 03:30:29 PM

Oh, Leo I hate you, I was scanning through this thread and you put a huge spoiler outside of spoiler tags on page 10  crybaby

Sorry man that was probably when the forums spoiler tags were broken.  I am a big believer of the spoiler tag and there had to be a reason I didn't use it at the bottom of the page, when I was at the top.

EDIT:  I fixed em now, sorry Teg
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 03:35:15 PM by leo8877 » Logged
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 11, 2009, 03:36:59 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on December 11, 2009, 03:33:31 PM

Quote from: Teggy on December 11, 2009, 03:30:29 PM

Oh, Leo I hate you, I was scanning through this thread and you put a huge spoiler outside of spoiler tags on page 10  crybaby

Sorry man that was probably when the forums spoiler tags were broken.  I am a big believer of the spoiler tag and there had to be a reason I didn't use it at the bottom of the page, when I was at the top.

EDIT:  I fixed em now, sorry Teg

No big deal, it's just a game. I was just bummed.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 14, 2009, 08:25:04 PM »

Well I am in chapter 10, and while I plan on finishing it, the game is getting a little tiresome. It's this whole cycle:

Crew guy or girl: Isaac, there is this doohickey that's broken, but if you fix it, we can get out of here!
Isaac: grunt.
(go fix thing)
Crew guy or girl: Great, we can get out of here! Oh shit! (and they do always curse) This other whatchamajob is also broken. But if you fix it, we can get out of here!

Definitely a very creepy game, though, probably more than I care for because I'm always think I'm about to get mauled, and now there's some
Spoiler for Hiden:
creepy girl singing somewhere

I'm kind of eager to play Dead Space Extraction as a change of pace.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #417 on: December 14, 2009, 08:42:01 PM »

Extraction literally uses the same levels, scaled down to Wii quality and on rails.  The story is better since the protagonists are actual characters, but it still retreads that same cycle a bit.

Part of the way they're trying to get around the fetch quests is by making Isaac an actual character that can make decisions, meaning he can decide, story-wise, to do something that's just simply running around to fix stuff or taking orders from someone else.  Also, there's more human characters to interact with.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 14, 2009, 08:44:09 PM »

Yeah that was one of the major complaints from the reviews.  Too much fetching.  So much so it appears to have influenced the design of DS2 as the initial blurbs talk about Isaac being vocal about being the only person who seems to be doing anything.

I actually bought a Wii to play Extraction and while it's nice to get some more Dead Space, I wish you could save more often than in-between chapters.  Also the Wii controls are so floaty that it annoys the crap out of me to be imprecise when aiming.  I feel like I did when I first played a FPS with a controller vs. a KB and mouse.  Not a knock against the game there, just the system.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 14, 2009, 08:45:39 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 14, 2009, 08:42:01 PM

Extraction literally uses the same levels, scaled down to Wii quality and on rails.  The story is better since the protagonists are actual characters, but it still retreads that same cycle a bit.

While there are many of the same locations in both games, I disagree that Extraction is literally the same.  There are some new areas to go along with some of the exact spots from the first game.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: December 14, 2009, 08:45:55 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 14, 2009, 08:42:01 PM

Extraction literally uses the same levels, scaled down to Wii quality and on rails.  

It's the on-rails part that I'm kind of looking forward to. Instead of having to freak myself out by coming into a room with my gun raised and slowly looking around, I'll be forced to move in and start shooting stuff.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 15, 2009, 12:31:48 AM »

Well I just ragequit the game. I was in chapter 10 where
Spoiler for Hiden:
you are going around getting 3 keys before you go meet the doctor. You wind up in room where you need to shift a bunch of bunks around and when you get the key, the regenerating monster gets sicced on you. You have to get the hell out of there, but when you get into the next room you are locked out from proceeding, so you have to kill a bunch of bad guys while the regenerator is running around with you. Then you can get to the elevator, where there is a save spot, but the regenerator breaks in through the ceiling, so there is no use trying to save. So you can go down the elevator and enter the next room, where tons of bad guys attack you and you can't escape out a door.

By the time I got out of the elevator I had just about 0 ammo left and no health packs, so I was screwed. There is a shop in there and I tried dashing to it, shopping, and then killing everything, but I kept getting killed because I couldn't take enough time to shop to get everything I needed (plus I was wasting money because I hadn't bought the level 5 suit yet).

I don't suppose there is any way to drop down to easy? At this point I'll have to go back to my save. I guess I can probably go to the shop before I go back to get that key. It was just so frustrating.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: December 15, 2009, 01:44:26 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 15, 2009, 12:31:48 AM

Well I just ragequit the game. I was in chapter 10 where
Spoiler for Hiden:
you are going around getting 3 keys before you go meet the doctor. You wind up in room where you need to shift a bunch of bunks around and when you get the key, the regenerating monster gets sicced on you. You have to get the hell out of there, but when you get into the next room you are locked out from proceeding, so you have to kill a bunch of bad guys while the regenerator is running around with you. Then you can get to the elevator, where there is a save spot, but the regenerator breaks in through the ceiling, so there is no use trying to save. So you can go down the elevator and enter the next room, where tons of bad guys attack you and you can't escape out a door.

By the time I got out of the elevator I had just about 0 ammo left and no health packs, so I was screwed. There is a shop in there and I tried dashing to it, shopping, and then killing everything, but I kept getting killed because I couldn't take enough time to shop to get everything I needed (plus I was wasting money because I hadn't bought the level 5 suit yet).

I don't suppose there is any way to drop down to easy? At this point I'll have to go back to my save. I guess I can probably go to the shop before I go back to get that key. It was just so frustrating.

Not sure if you can change difficulty mid-game, I suspect not.  Sounds like you have to go back to a early save.  Hopefully it's not too far back, if you end up playing more.  I remember that part being super tense.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #423 on: December 15, 2009, 03:19:07 AM »

Nope, you can't change the difficulty, which was a stupid decision.

Spoiler for Hiden:
There are some tricks you use to help.  If I remember correctly, the regenerator takes longer or just as much time to regenerate if you just take out a leg, it's easier on ammo too.

There's also cheat codes you can use if you really don't want to go back.  I found one that refills your stasis meter, there's others, but that alone should help conserve ammo.  It's a single player game you're supposed to enjoy, so you should have no qualms about using it.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: December 15, 2009, 05:28:47 AM »

Well, I got through it when I went back and only cheesed it a little (I'll explain in a moment).

Spoiler for Hiden:
My save was in a central room between the room with the key and the elevator down to the tram lobby with the store. I figured I would go back down to the store and stock up. Well, it turns out that the attack in the lobby is not triggered by getting the third key, it's triggered before that, so I got jumped when I went back down. Great. I realized this when I went to the store and suddenly heard monsters behind me. I managed to stock up a bit and tried to survive. Here's where I cheesed it a bit. I ran up into the tram and noticed that the monsters would retreat at the top of the ramp. I noticed that this happens at various points in the game and you can use it to your advantage. I would take some shots, retreat and repeat until I finished them off. Then I was able to go get the last key.

I'm now in chapter 12 and I think I'm about to fight the last boss. I just had my reunion with the turncoat and went through a room with a ton of pickups.

I think this game was just not designed for me. Constantly running out of ammo and then getting jumped is not tense for me, it's frustrating. I suppose if I knew how to aim I might be more successful, but if you've ever played CoD with me, you'd know that's nothing new smile

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #425 on: December 15, 2009, 05:33:16 AM »

If you're actually running out of ammo, you're definitely playing on the wrong difficulty (or carrying around too many weapons. You almost only find ammo for the weapons you carry). You're supposed to feel like you're always at risk of running out of ammo, but you should never actually get to that point.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 15, 2009, 05:44:20 AM »

Liberal use of the stasis field is a must.

Teg, I gotta warn you the aiming in extraction is much tougher and the ammo is more difficult to acquire with bad aim.  Luckily, there's an unlimited ammo gun.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #427 on: December 15, 2009, 07:23:14 AM »

I'm good at shooters, and am pretty meticulous at searching for items, so it wasn't that bad for me.

Hmm... are you searching all the containers?  I went through 1/4 the game not knowing about 2 different types of very common containers.  The game wasn't very good at teaching you own to open them, or that they existed.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 15, 2009, 01:16:49 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 15, 2009, 07:23:14 AM

I'm good at shooters, and am pretty meticulous at searching for items, so it wasn't that bad for me.

Hmm... are you searching all the containers?  I went through 1/4 the game not knowing about 2 different types of very common containers.  The game wasn't very good at teaching you own to open them, or that they existed.

It's true.  The glowing green is an indicator that there's something inside, and I went at least a full mission (if not two) without knowing about the stomp boxes.

I pretty much stuck to just two weapons the whole game and upgraded the hell out of them.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 15, 2009, 01:34:11 PM »

What? Are you kidding me?? They did seem like something Icould use, since they glowed green, but I tried shooting them and nothing happened..sigh

not sure if I'll play it again since I find it pretty scary for some reason, but IF I do,  I'll stomp those boxes!!

A new one
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: December 15, 2009, 02:13:32 PM »

Oh yeah, lockers, foot lockers, green boxes, mini wall lockers, power node rooms...I get them all.

What I probably should have done was gone with less than 4 weapons. I like the plasma cutter and the line gun. I also like the contact beam for occasional one-hit blasts, so I kept that one. I also have the flamethrower, because I was trying to get 30 kills with it, but that was probably the bad decision. I most often find flamethrower and contact beam ammo.

Quote from: leo8877
Teg, I gotta warn you the aiming in extraction is much tougher and the ammo is more difficult to acquire with bad aim.  Luckily, there's an unlimited ammo gun.

I assume you mean that there is one gun that has unlimited ammo all the time? I don't see how they can get away with not giving you unlimited ammo in a rail shooter.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: December 15, 2009, 04:16:51 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 15, 2009, 02:13:32 PM

Oh yeah, lockers, foot lockers, green boxes, mini wall lockers, power node rooms...I get them all.

What I probably should have done was gone with less than 4 weapons. I like the plasma cutter and the line gun. I also like the contact beam for occasional one-hit blasts, so I kept that one. I also have the flamethrower, because I was trying to get 30 kills with it, but that was probably the bad decision. I most often find flamethrower and contact beam ammo.

Quote from: leo8877

I assume you mean that there is one gun that has unlimited ammo all the time? I don't see how they can get away with not giving you unlimited ammo in a rail shooter.

Yeah there's one gun that allows you to use unlimited ammo.  The rest you need to get ammo for to keep using.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: December 17, 2009, 01:20:12 AM »

Man, I had to ragequit again at the final boss  icon_lol

Let's see:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Long un-skippable cutscene before the bossfight. Strike one.
Impossible aiming after boss picks you up. Strike two.
Long un-skippable cutscene if you die before making it past first stage of boss fight. Strike three.

These developers just really know how to infuriate me. I think I tried about seven times. I managed to get past the first part after 2 tries, but then started being unable to get past it, and that's when I starting cursing at the game.

I'll probably look up some tips because I just want the stupid achievements at this point.

I decided to fire up Extraction and played the first two levels, which were pretty fun. The pulse rifle is just as crappy in this game as it is in Dead Space! The pistol works quite well, though. I was actually pretty impressed by the graphics for a Wii game. I recognized the environments from the 360 version, pretty cool.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #433 on: December 17, 2009, 01:39:26 AM »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they put in the pulse rifle as a red herring, a weapon that's in there to appease shooter fans, but is clearly not a good idea when fighting necromorphs.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #434 on: December 17, 2009, 07:10:53 AM »

I have no idea why people say that. The pulse rifle is my secondary weapon of choice in this game (the plasma cutter being the primary). It's flexible, and it cuts down necromorphs like butter when it's been a little upgraded, and you get plenty of ammo for it.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #435 on: December 17, 2009, 07:35:53 AM »

I think it depends on the player and whether you can do fine aiming with the gamepad.  I was very accurate with the plasma cutter since it projects a line, but the rifle is pinpoint.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 17, 2009, 02:39:59 PM »

Yeah, using those 3 little dots was not so easy, and it took a lot of ammo. I think by making some of the weapons hard to use in their base state, they discouraged people from upgrading them. If you have a weapon that is already "good", you're more likely to boost it to make it "great", rather than upgrade a weapon to just "good". I've heard that the flamethrower can be pretty nice if you upgrade it as well.

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 17, 2009, 02:40:47 PM »

So, I've now watched the comics and the movie, and neither told the story of
Spoiler for Hiden:
the bodies with the socks over their heads.
Is that explained anywhere?

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #438 on: December 17, 2009, 03:05:41 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on December 17, 2009, 02:40:47 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
You mean next to the "basketball" field near the end of the game? The spooky room with all the corpses? In the movie (or the comics, I can't recall) there was a scene where a group of fanatics comitted mass suicide. I assumed they did the same thing in this room, for the same reasons.
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: December 17, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on December 17, 2009, 03:05:41 PM

Quote from: Teggy on December 17, 2009, 02:40:47 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Spoiler for Hiden:
You mean next to the "basketball" field near the end of the game? The spooky room with all the corpses? In the movie (or the comics, I can't recall) there was a scene where a group of fanatics comitted mass suicide. I assumed they did the same thing in this room, for the same reasons.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Yeah. In the comic they all just brought guns and blew their brains out. I was hoping it would be explained how they all came to put the socks on their heads and who administered the hole right into their forehead.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: