http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 11:35:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dead Space  (Read 34083 times)
kratz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: October 28, 2008, 04:40:02 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
Are we sure that the marker hadn't already been loaded onto the ship at the end?  Anyone see it?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 28, 2008, 04:43:21 PM »

Quote from: kratz on October 28, 2008, 04:40:02 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
Are we sure that the marker hadn't already been loaded onto the ship at the end?  Anyone see it?

Spoiler for Hiden:
I saw someone say in another forum that you can see it on the landing platform when the shuttle takes off.  I did not look for it myself. 

From my understanding though, the marker prevented the aliens from running amok and even killed them all with one blast.  Does the market both create and destroy the infection?
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 28, 2008, 05:03:40 PM »

Spoiler for Hiden:
The marker is on the platform, outside the ship at the end. I spotted it as Isaac was frantically trying to start the shuttle for his escape.

I don't really understand it, but someone on Penny-Arcade was talking about how the marker is supposed to contain the Necros, but it kind of contains too much detail as to what it is supposed to contain. The government then uses this info to create the experiment.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 29, 2008, 03:35:33 AM »

I picked this one up on a whim after the positive feedback.  Just finished up Chapter 6 last night and absolutely love this one.  It's basically Doom 3 with the problems fixed plus a whole lot more with the upgrade system.  Lights out, surround sound cranked, subwoofer on max woof =  a f'in intensely awesome experience.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 04, 2008, 04:31:27 PM »

I'm late to the party on this, as I finally borrowed this from a buddy at work. I played Chapter 1 last night and am impressed. The sound is just awesome as has been noted earlier. I find this much, much more tension inducing than something like Bioshock or RE4 - much more along the lines of System Shock 2. The fact that there are constantly noises has me quite jumpy looking around for aliens to kill. Nicely done on the atmosphere. I do wish the camera was just a bit further behind your character. Thumbs way up from me so far - it's basically all I hoped it would be.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #365 on: November 04, 2008, 07:14:19 PM »

Well, I rented it and gotta say I really really like it.  Glad I rented it cuz I am in chapter 7, a little past 1/2 way, and though my rental periood is up, one more rental period and I should be done.  $17 to play completely through the game right now is perfect. 

But I like it and will definitely pick up in a few months when I can get it for $30or less.  Would be a nice addition to the library.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #366 on: November 04, 2008, 07:17:59 PM »

Quote from: JCC on November 04, 2008, 04:31:27 PM

I do wish the camera was just a bit further behind your character.

I have a 1/2 dozens gripes with the game (why doesn't the protagonist ever say anything?  I want to see the other weapons hanging off of him when holstered, and some others) but like you, my biggest gripe bar none is that the camera is too freakin close.  Makes me feel claustophobic and I almost quit playing at first because of it.  I know why they did it, but wish they hadn't. 

Even still, it is one of the better games out right now imo.  Better for me than FO3 and Far Cry, that is for sure.  But that is personal preference.  I am sure 99.9999999 % would not agree.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 07, 2008, 02:59:26 AM »

I'm on chapter 4 now (more on that later). Part way through chapter 2 the game began losing its luster for me, because I was just killing the same things over and over and it was feeling very repetitive. Then the next night literally right after I loaded my save the game started throwing new stuff at me, and it's been terrific again... until now.

The asteroid mini-game is just killing me. I've done it several times and just can't get by this. It's bad enough that the aiming is HORRIBLE, but they had to add overheating cannons too? I am playing this on easy for god's sake. Easy mode should be EASY, not frustrating. This should have never, EVER made it to release in this state. ARGH~! (lots of expletives deleted)

(Back to try several more times... in space no one can you hear you throw the controller in frustration at dumb game play mechanics...)

-John

kratz

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 07, 2008, 03:18:02 AM »

Yeah, that's the worst part of the game.  Took me at least 5 tries.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 07, 2008, 03:38:47 AM »

Well it took me way longer than 5 tries. smile

I finally got by it and I have to confess my patience was wearing thin. If I hadn't passed it before much longer I would have seriously considered just abandoning it and returning it to my buddy who I borrowed it from. I have more games than I have time to play them, so I don't need the repeated frustration. That whole sequence kind of soured my mood for the game, so I quit a little ways into chapter 5 for the night. I manged to get by the invincible monster without much difficulty at least. I'll resume either tomorrow or Sunday, hopefully in a more enthusiastic mood.

-John

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 07, 2008, 04:42:39 AM »

Don't let it get you down... rest of the normal game is still great.  Take a couple days off like you said.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 07, 2008, 01:27:01 PM »

Quote from: kratz on November 07, 2008, 03:18:02 AM

Yeah, that's the worst part of the game.  Took me at least 5 tries.

I think that part took me at least a dozen attempts on easy. It was an absolutely ludicrous design decision. Floaty controls, overheating guns, and the sequence went on for far too long. I almost stopped playing the game after my first several attempts. It absolutely killed the flow of the game. Thank god the save point is right there, or I would have absolutely been done with the game.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #372 on: November 07, 2008, 03:07:06 PM »

I actually beat the asteroid thing on my second try.  I just calmed down, breathed deep, moved the cursor very little instead of trying to fling it everywhere, and lastly tried to nail the bastards when they were but pin pricks in the distance instead of letting them get close.

Could have been luck, but it is doable.  That was not nearly as frustrating to me as the constant backtracking through the ship.  Made sense to do it, but got tedious.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 07, 2008, 06:21:37 PM »

I got the DVD movie for this on netflix and watched it last night.  Dead Space: Downfall.  It's pretty cheesy.  Lots of unnecessary swearing.  I liked the animated comics about 100 x more. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 10, 2008, 04:23:16 PM »

DLC announced and it's poop and they all cost $$$.  Oh well, still my GOTY!

EA Announces Dead Space Premium Upgrade Packs
Equip Yourself With All New Weapons and Suits to Survive the Horror

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.—(BUSINESS WIRE)—Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS) announced today that the critically acclaimed Dead Space™ will be releasing premium upgrade packs* to provide the game hero, Isaac Clarke, an everyday systems engineer, with the ultimate Necromorph-dismembering equipment in his fight for survival aboard the space-traveling USG Ishimura. Players can experience the glory of strategic dismemberment November 13 on Xbox LIVE® Marketplace worldwide and the PLAYSTATION®Store** in Europe. These premium upgrade packs will be available on the PLAYSTATION Store worldwide November 20.

Winner of over 23 critic awards and boasting a score of 89 on Metacritic.com, Dead Space delivers the ultimate in psychological thrills and gruesome action. It is a bold and often-bloody sci-fi survival horror game set 500 years in the future. The innovative combat in the game calls for intense gore and character dismemberment that can be experienced even further with these premium upgrade packs.

The complete list of upgrade packs include:

Astronaut Pack: Download the Astronaut Suit and Weapon Skin Pack, featuring an amazing Astronaut Suit and new skins for the Plasma Cutter, Pulse Rifle, and Ripper!
— $3.00 / 240 MS points

— Big Gun Pack: Download the Steam Punk Force Gun, the ultimate in Necromorph-killing destruction.
— $1.00 / 80 MS points

— Heavy Damage Pack: Download the Heavy Damage Weapon pack featuring a cool new look and massive firepower for the Plasma Cutter, Contact Beam, Pulse Rifle, and Ripper.
— $3.00 / 240 MS points

— Hot Rod Pack: Download the Hot Rod Weapon Skin Pack, featuring awesome flame graphics for the Flamethrower and Pulse Rifle.
— $1.00 / 80 MS points

— Military Pack: Download the Military Weapon Pack for a new look and enhanced power for all 7 Dead Space weapons.
— $4.00 / 320 MS points

— Scorpion Pack: Download the Scorpion Pack featuring an upgraded Level 5 Suit and powered up Plasma Cutter, Line Gun, and Force Gun, all decorated in an awesome red Scorpion Skin.
— $4.00 / 320 MS points

— Scorpion Weapon Pack: Download the Scorpion Weapon Pack featuring a faster death-dealing Plasma Cutter, Line Gun, and Force Gun in awesome red skins.
— $2.25 / 180 MS points

— Speed Kills Pack: Download the Speed Kills Weapon Pack! Includes faster-firing Force Gun, Line Gun, and Plasma Cutter.
— $2.25 / 180 MS points

— Tank Pack: Download the Tank Pack featuring an upgraded Level 5 Suit and powered up Flamethrower, Force Gun, and Line Gun, all covered in Unitology script.
— $4.00 / 320 MS points

PLAYSTATION®3 Exclusive Packs:

— Obsidian Weapon Skin Pack: Download the exclusive Obsidian Weapon Skin Pack now, available only for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system. Includes weapon skins in jet-black PLAYSTATION 3 colors for the Line Gun, Plasma Cutter, and Pulse Rifle.

— $1.50

— Obsidian Pack: Download the exclusive Obsidian Suit and Weapon Skin Pack now, available only for the PLAYSTATION®3! Includes an upgraded Level 5 suit, and weapon skins for the Line Gun, Plasma Cutter, and Pulse Rifle, all in jet-black PLAYSTATION®3 colors.

— $3.00

Xbox 360®-Exclusive Packs:

— Elite Weapon Skin Pack: Download the exclusive Elite Weapon Skin Pack now, available only for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system! Includes weapon skins in Xbox 360 colors for the Line Gun, Plasma Cutter, and Pulse Rifle.

— 120 MS points

— Elite Pack: Download the exclusive Elite Suit and Weapon Skin Pack now, available only for the Xbox 360! Includes an upgraded Level 5 suit, and weapon skins for the Line Gun, Plasma Cutter, and Pulse Rifle in Xbox 360 colors.
— 240 MS points

Developed at EA Redwood Shores, Dead Space is rated M for Mature with descriptors of Blood and Gore, Intense Violence and Strong Language by the ESRB and 18+ for PEGI. Dead Space is now available for MSRP $59.99 on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system and PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and MSRP $49.99 for the PC. For more information about the game, go to the website at http://www.deadspacegame.com or http://info.ea.com.

* Requires Dead Space for the Xbox 360 or PLAYSTATION 3 to play.

** INTERNET CONNECTION required. Xbox LIVE gold or silver membership OR PLAYSTATION®Network account required.
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: November 10, 2008, 04:42:37 PM »

Whoever at EA that thought this was a good idea is going to hell. For a very, very long time.  finger
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: November 14, 2008, 01:22:14 AM »

Yikes, NPD for October shows the 360 version coming in at 10th place with 193,000 copies sold...that's not close to what I was expected.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: November 14, 2008, 02:37:55 AM »

I think it's decent for a new IP in a crowded month. 
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 05, 2008, 06:49:23 PM »

I animate this thread's corpse like a necromorph!

I finally finished this yesterday. I had a 2-3 week period where I barely played anything which slowed me down. I powered through the last 5 or so chapters this week. I thought this game was fantastic (idiot asteroid minigame aside). I liked the twist late (not the REALLY late one) in the story and didn't see it coming at all. I borrowed this from a friend but will definitely buy this once it reaches the bargain bin so I can play through it again as an uber character. Thumbs way up, and almost certainly my game of the year in what I would consider a sub par year up until the final few months. I probably won't get to play Fable 2 or Fallout 3 until next year so I should probably not vote for GOTY until late NEXT year. smile

-John

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 05, 2008, 06:53:37 PM »

I don't think anyone can see the twist coming since it seemed made up at the spur of the moment by the developers. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 05, 2008, 06:56:08 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 05, 2008, 06:53:37 PM

I don't think anyone can see the twist coming since it seemed made up at the spur of the moment by the developers.  

Spoiler for Hiden:
You guys talking about the last 2 seconds of the game twist?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 03:34:00 PM by leo8877 » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 05, 2008, 06:58:16 PM »

Nah, I'm talking about the twist around Chapter 10 or something. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 05, 2008, 07:07:58 PM »

EDIT: Fixed spoilers

Spoiler for Hiden:
I'm confused, you mean the twist where the woman officer is really a bad guy and has been taking isaac for a ride the whole time?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 03:34:23 PM by leo8877 » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 05, 2008, 07:12:15 PM »

Yes that one.  I'm loathe to discuss it anymore without spoiler tags (plus it's been almost two months now since I finished the game) but my recollection from replaying the game a bit with that knowledge in mind was that it didn't fit with the actions that occurred earlier in the game. 
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #384 on: December 05, 2008, 07:22:08 PM »

Quote from: JCC on December 05, 2008, 06:49:23 PM

I finally finished this yesterday. I had a 2-3 week period where I barely played anything which slowed me down. I powered through the last 5 or so chapters this week. I thought this game was fantastic (idiot asteroid minigame aside). I liked the twist late (not the REALLY late one) in the story and didn't see it coming at all. I borrowed this from a friend but will definitely buy this once it reaches the bargain bin so I can play through it again as an uber character. Thumbs way up, and almost certainly my game of the year in what I would consider a sub par year up until the final few months. I probably won't get to play Fable 2 or Fallout 3 until next year so I should probably not vote for GOTY until late NEXT year. smile

Not my GOTY, but a close 2nd or 3rd.  I too am waiting for a price drop since I missed the Target Black Friday $30 deal.  I was out of town on that day at relatives for the holiday and they don't have a Target.  Damn!  Should have had someone pick me up a copy.  But I too want to play through again some day with everything maxed out.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 05, 2008, 08:52:27 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on December 05, 2008, 07:22:08 PM

Quote from: JCC on December 05, 2008, 06:49:23 PM

Not my GOTY, but a close 2nd or 3rd.  I too am waiting for a price drop since I missed the Target Black Friday $30 deal.  I was out of town on that day at relatives for the holiday and they don't have a Target.  Damn!  Should have had someone pick me up a copy.  But I too want to play through again some day with everything maxed out.

Great necromorphing, JCC!  nod

It looks like I'll have to add this to my C-mas list, although I know I won't play it right away.  I'm still playing Fallout 3, and I suspect I will have had my fill of mutant/ zombies, skeletons, and gore for a while.  I'll probably have to refresh my palate with Lost Odyssey or Last Remnant or some such, first. Or the Wii!

Hmm... I just looked at my wish list - and The Forum Effect seems to have penciled in Dead Space while I wasn't looking!  Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 05, 2008, 10:12:37 PM »

I played this on the PC and LOOOOOVED it. I too say GAME OF THE YEAR (but I haven't played much of Fallout 3 yet and I can see how that game might give Dead Space a run for its money.)
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 05, 2008, 10:36:49 PM »

Not GOTY, but really, really good.

I have a 360 copy to unload, by the way smile
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 05, 2008, 11:01:21 PM »

This game is currently my GOTY and yeah I've played FO3.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 06, 2008, 01:20:14 AM »

I don't know about GotY, but it's an awesome game.

I don't understand why some people refuse to buy it just cause it doesn't have RPG-level replayability.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #390 on: December 06, 2008, 11:43:09 AM »

Yeah, but I think it's worth a buy at the $40 and below price point.  Not at $60.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 06, 2008, 12:04:51 PM »

I finished it last night and it was a really fun game.  I'd say the difficulty on Medium was just about right for me and I'm not a big shooter in games.  My ammo and health were getting pretty scarce during the middle chapters, but towards the end I was well stocked.  The Plasma Cutter and the Line Gun were the two main weapons I used.  I never tried the Ripper, but didn't care much for the other guns.  Great story and graphics and the last boss was a pretty cool moment.

The most frustrating parts were shooting the big ship guns.  I didn't care for that.

It's either this or FO3 for GOTY for me.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 10, 2008, 02:51:43 PM »

Looks like Dead Space is getting a sequel:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21451
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 10, 2008, 02:57:15 PM »

So Dead Space was good eh?  I just played through the demo (well actually I didn't get very far as I kept dying) and it didn't really do much for me.  I wouldn't mind picking it up but not until I can get it for 20 dollars.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 10, 2008, 02:59:35 PM »

Yeah, Dead Space is generally very well done.  If you have any interest whatsoever in games of the genre then you should absolutely pick it up. 
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 10, 2008, 03:42:16 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on December 10, 2008, 02:57:15 PM

So Dead Space was good eh?  I just played through the demo (well actually I didn't get very far as I kept dying) and it didn't really do much for me.  I wouldn't mind picking it up but not until I can get it for 20 dollars.

I tried playing through the demo as well and it just didn't grab me.  Some games, like Bioshock, completely grabbed me from the moment I loaded up the demo.  But others, like Left 4 Dead, just seemed to be missing something.  While many really enjoyed the game, it just doesn't look to be my thing.  Which is fine, because I've got plenty to keep my attention.  Bioshock was pretty much my limit for creepiness.  I could already see from the demo that Dead Space is a bit beyond my creepiness threshold.

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 10, 2008, 03:56:45 PM »

I've heard elsewhere that the demo is a very poor representation of the game.  Which is pretty common IMO and developers/publishers either need to figure out how to fix that or they need to stop putting out demos because it's starting to get to the point where it does them more harm than good. 
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 10, 2008, 04:00:14 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on December 10, 2008, 03:56:45 PM

I've heard elsewhere that the demo is a very poor representation of the game.  Which is pretty common IMO and developers/publishers either need to figure out how to fix that or they need to stop putting out demos because it's starting to get to the point where it does them more harm than good. 

And I certainly went in expecting it to not fully represent the game as a whole.  But I just had trouble getting into the atmosphere, and I'm too much of a pussy for this kind of game.  I was creeped out and I don't even think there was much to even be afraid of in the demo.  Fabulous

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 10, 2008, 04:04:33 PM »

The demo was not good and it was like 10 minutes long if you stretched it out.  Dead Space is fantastic.  I am curious to see what route they would go with a sequel though.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #399 on: December 20, 2008, 01:29:17 AM »

Just finished the game.  My friend with really, really poor impulse control bought every single DLC for the game.

Anyway, spoiler time!

Spoiler for Hiden:
The twist with Kendra wasn't foreshadowed at all, not even in passing.  That made her going evil, or at least all black ops just seem stupid, but it moved the plot along.  Isaac being crazy we all saw coming.  Whats just stupid is Kendra saw how well Isaac was doing.  I would have brought him into the team of people studying the other marker, put him in charge of security engineering, anyone with that level of engineering skill combined with combat experience against necromorphs should be brought in on the project to help engineer a facility that could withstand them, with vents that large humanoids can't use being one of the priorities.  slywink

For those wondering what they'll do in the next game, there's still the original Black Marker that the red marker was made from.  It would seem that any marker itself suppresses necromorph actviity, it does not kill necromorphs.  The marker didn't create the necromorphs, instead, it was scientists using information gleaned off the black marker that brought the first necromorph cells into existence.  I suspect the red marker's suppression effect is much less than that of the true Black Marker.  Unfortunately, it's not clear what produces the psychological effects on people, was it the hive mind influence, or the market, or a combination of it?

Oh and the Red Marker was labeled marker 3A, so I'd be looking out for markers 1-3 and the a-z variants of each.

It would seem that the necromorph cells just grow and grow and grow, especially so since the Red Marker lacks the wide scale suppression effect without the pedastool.

By the way, I found one of the computer displays in the game had a translation guide for all the alien script you see scrawled on walls and such, and at the end of the credits.  I didn't bother writing it all down and probably won't bother.  Anyone know someone who translated that stuff?  There's some PC player out there with the time and interest to take screenshots of all the alien text and translate it, especially the one at the end of the credits.

Oh, and I think it's safe to assume Isaac lays the smackdown on his ex-human ex-girlfriend and gets to safey.

More big questions are: why would the hive mind want the red marker back to the pedastool just to have it suppress it?  If it didn't, what was directing people to bring it back?  It likely didn't considering how much the hive mind sent after you while you were moving the red marker around.  What was the big flash of light from the marker? 
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: