http://gamingtrend.com
October 26, 2014, 04:37:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dead Space  (Read 34359 times)
Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: October 17, 2008, 09:42:21 PM »

Quick Question...I have such limited exp. with Consoles (first one I spent any time with was the Xbox) that I have barely played Resident Evil.  When I did, I sucked at it as I didn't know the goal was to just run away from the zombies, so I fought and ran out of ammo and died continually.  I found the "survival" aspect of that game to be very frustrating.  That being said, I picked up Dead Space...Will I have to do the same thing (run and search and run more)?  Or can I actually kill things I come across before moving on?
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 17, 2008, 09:44:06 PM »

Quote from: Travis on October 17, 2008, 09:42:21 PM

Quick Question...I have such limited exp. with Consoles (first one I spent any time with was the Xbox) that I have barely played Resident Evil.  When I did, I sucked at it as I didn't know the goal was to just run away from the zombies, so I fought and ran out of ammo and died continually.  I found the "survival" aspect of that game to be very frustrating.  That being said, I picked up Dead Space...Will I have to do the same thing (run and search and run more)?  Or can I actually kill things I come across before moving on?

Once you get a weapon, you gotta kill them or they kill you.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 17, 2008, 10:53:31 PM »

As KG said early, Isaac's a pretty pretty well equipped to deal with the threats. You'll be fine.
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 17, 2008, 11:54:41 PM »

Even without ammo you can still melee and hold up pretty well. It also helps that health is mapped to one button (X on the 360), so it's very easy to heal up quickly mid combat.
ChrisGrenard
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 18, 2008, 12:12:50 AM »

Don't forget Stasis.   That makes a lot of the game MUCH less scary, even the really, really mean bad guys are powerless against it.

Also, there are some areas later in the game where it actually is more effective to avoid enemies and do stuff in a room, then retreat, rather than fight them all.  It's very rare, but it happens.  That enemies can't get through doors (unless specifically programmed to be able to) makes this a very viable tactic sometimes.

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 18, 2008, 12:56:38 AM »

I have to bring up this quick note...

I just watched the Gametrailers review, and it's well done overall.  However, they kept mentioning one negative about the game that is completely bogus.  They complained several times that it's a chore to have to go into the real-time HUD/inventory screen to search for health packs and activate them.

Everyone here read the manual right?  You guys know that you just hit the square button (on PS3, I assume 'X' for 360) to automatically use a health item without messing around in HUD, right?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 18, 2008, 01:36:22 AM »

Quote from: KePoW on October 18, 2008, 12:56:38 AM

I just watched the Gametrailers review, and it's well done overall.  However, they kept mentioning one negative about the game that is completely bogus.  They complained several times that it's a chore to have to go into the real-time HUD/inventory screen to search for health packs and activate them.

Everyone here read the manual right?  You guys know that you just hit the square button (on PS3, I assume 'X' for 360) to automatically use a health item without messing around in HUD, right?

I didn't know about that until I read Simon's comment and then looked in the PS3 manual.  I guess it shows that I skimmed the manual too quick and that reviewers don't read them at all.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 18, 2008, 01:56:48 AM »

Quote from: PeteRock on October 17, 2008, 04:16:42 PM

Fatal Frame was like that.  Only it could have been a room, or a hallway, you never knew when something awful was going to happen.  You'd see something out of the corner of your eye and there'd be a quick loud sound in the game's music causing you to startle just a bit, but then when you least expected it something horrible would happen.  And you only had a small flashlight beam so your view felt very claustrophobic.  The last straw was when I was trying to get into a room and a door seemed stuck.  It would open a little but I had to struggle to get through the doorway.  When it finally gave way the sound instantly went up in volume and a creepy ghost bum-rushed me at the door before I could even get through.  I didn't at all see that coming, and I wound up dropping my controller, spilling my drink all over the floor, and screaming like a little girl.  It went back to the store the following day.

scariest series ever - i love those games smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 18, 2008, 02:21:37 AM »

Is there a hot button for recharging stasis w/ stasis packs?  Seems no?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 18, 2008, 02:39:45 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 18, 2008, 01:36:22 AM

I didn't know about that until I read Simon's comment and then looked in the PS3 manual.  I guess it shows that I skimmed the manual too quick and that reviewers don't read them at all.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure the game had that info as a pop-up at some point early on.

Quote from: kratz on October 18, 2008, 02:21:37 AM

Yeah, I don't think there is one for statis.  Or Air Canisters. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 18, 2008, 02:41:56 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 18, 2008, 02:39:45 AM

FWIW, I'm pretty sure the game had that info as a pop-up at some point early on.

Quote from: kratz on October 18, 2008, 02:21:37 AM

Yeah, I don't think there is one for statis.  Or Air Canisters. 

Weird I dunno how it missed that one.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 18, 2008, 02:58:16 AM »

I decided to start over.

Ike informed me that you can break open the glowing boxes with the curb stomp. Yup. I'm that dumb.
ChrisGrenard
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 18, 2008, 02:59:15 AM »

Correct, there's no button for Stasis or Air, but X (or leftmost button) does give health.  It will always use the smallest health in your inventory.

Anyway, just finished the game.  Some end-game stats and comments.

Overall, I think the game kept improving as it went along.  The more powerful weapons and customization along with tougher and more diverse enemies made the game more enjoyable.

That said, I must say that the end boss was a bit easy.  Like, we're talking Resident Evil 4 (there's that comparison again!!!) easy.

The storyline was pretty good for the first playthrough, but upon starting a second playthrough pretty serious plotholes started cropping up within 10 minutes.  It wasn't stuff that was noticable on first go, but on second it's kinda weird.

After finishing the game, it provides you with 50,000 credits, 10 power nodes and opens up a new suit.  You can then playthrough the game again, but *only on the same difficulty as before*.  Basically, this means you have a really, really overpowered person running through really easy levels.  You know that first part where they tell you to run and it's freaky and everything?  Yeah, this time you are just walking along, shooting the enemies that show up with your line cutter and laughing as they fall apart in one shot.

Hell, I had a bad guy run at me and I shot his legs off and his body went *flying* above me due to the force of the impact.  I actually burst out laughing.

If they had let you start a new game on a harder difficulty, this wouldn't be an issue, but as is, it's sorta pointless.

Gametime for me was just barely over 10 hours.  Shorter than expected, but not bad.

So here's some more comparisons that I think are very fair:

I think that on first playthrough, this game is better than Resident Evil 4 and not quite as good as System Shock 2.  The world is very solid and very immersive, and despite that I don't think it's scary, it was very fun.  The level of customization was good enough to make it a pretty enjoyable romp with my weapons of choice and the fighting system was just diverse enough to keep things interesting throughout.

However, I gotta say I don't think it's gonna hold up on multiple playthroughs like either of those games.  System Shock 2 had a huge level of customization that allowed it to play very differently on different playthroughs.  The different weapons for this game don't really change things enough to do that.  In addition, the combat isn't as fun as RE4's model, mostly due to that your tactics are always sorta the same.  With RE4, combat could get rather advanced if you were trying to really conserve ammo.  This game doesn't really deal with that, due to ammo being pretty much unlimited due to being able to buy it.  Plus, it doesn't have nearly the same diversity with *how* you engage enemies, rather, all enemy encounters basically end with you just shooting at whatever thin appendages you can see.  Or, in the case of boss battles, shooting whatever glows yellow.

Sooooo yeah.  Ultimately, I'm going to say that this game is fun and totally worth either 30-40 bucks or a rental.  The short length and sorta lacking reasons to replay drag it down from being a must have in my book.

Chris's Grade: B+

ChrisGrenard
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 18, 2008, 02:59:37 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on October 18, 2008, 02:58:16 AM

I decided to start over.

Ike informed me that you can break open the glowing boxes with the curb stomp. Yup. I'm that dumb.

Oh yeah, the Xbox's that are all over.  You gotta be breakin' those bastards open!

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 18, 2008, 03:01:56 AM »

I decided to start over.

Heh, I had no idea about those either until I saw someone mention in on another forum. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: October 18, 2008, 03:04:43 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 18, 2008, 03:01:56 AM

I decided to start over.

Heh, I had no idea about those either until I saw someone mention in on another forum. 

I did it on accident once because of the kick ass sound the stomp makes with my subwoofer.  If I hadn't of been in the right place I wouldn't have known either.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #256 on: October 18, 2008, 03:19:28 AM »

Hell, I didn' know you could open those panels on the walls for a while either.
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 18, 2008, 03:50:58 AM »

So I just finished Stage 2 or whatever they're called in the game.  HOLY.SHIT.  This game is AWESOME.  Surprisingly enough, this game doesn't bother me much as far as psychological stress is concerned.  Usually after playing a game like, say, Resident Evil 4 or Silent Hill, I'm always a little jumpy, especially in the dark.  Not so much with this game.  Don't get me wrong, while I'm playing, I'm on edge the entire time.  But when I put the controller down, I'm back to normal.  Weird.  Awesome game though.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 18, 2008, 03:59:06 AM »

Quote from: ChrisGrenard on October 18, 2008, 02:59:15 AM

Sooooo yeah.  Ultimately, I'm going to say that this game is fun and totally worth either 30-40 bucks or a rental.  The short length and sorta lacking reasons to replay drag it down from being a must have in my book.

thanks for the impressions Chris!  I was debating running out and grabbing this over the weekend due to the Forum Effect, but now I think I'll wait for a price drop or two on the PC version since Fable 2 is so close.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ChrisGrenard
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 18, 2008, 04:03:57 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 18, 2008, 03:59:06 AM

thanks for the impressions Chris!  I was debating running out and grabbing this over the weekend due to the Forum Effect, but now I think I'll wait for a price drop or two on the PC version since Fable 2 is so close.

Sure thing, glad to help.  You know, one thing that this game has reinforced for me is that "reviewers" (not all, but quite a few) don't know what they're talking about.  Any of them who wrote that the game is super terrifying were lying or had never played anything *remotely* scare before.  I went into the game expecting such scares, and honestly I wish somebody had told me to tone down that and expect a much more action oriented game.  I thought Tycho echoed my thoughts very well with today's update:

Quote from: Tycho
Dead Space is an action game, first and foremost. There are save terminals all over the Goddamned place. You can push a button and know exactly where you need to go. You can, and will run out of bullets, but you can buy more from the store.  A gamer who has played them for any significant span of time won't even recognize the puzzles here as puzzles.  It's an action game.

One final comparison: When I played Resident Evil 4 and I heard a chainsaw start up, I would cower in the corner with a shotgun.  There is no such enemy in this game that elicits the same response.  There was one sorta scary guy for a while, but then when you realize how much your stasis ray incapacitates him he ceases to be scary at all.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 04:05:48 AM by ChrisGrenard » Logged

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 18, 2008, 04:24:33 AM »

heh you don't even need the manual, it tells you in game in the beginning
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 18, 2008, 04:28:45 AM »

I don't know if you guys are playing with a dedicated sound system or not, but man if you aren't you are missing out.  The sound engineering in this game is f-ing unreal. 

My absolute favorites in Chapter 3:

Spoiler for Hiden:
The Centrifuge after you start it and are in space with it spinning is just A-mazing.

Also when you start up the engines it is so bad ass.  My entire room was shaking.

Also for folks who live in the Bay Area, there is one room where they recorded BART train sounds and loop it.  It's cool to see that in a game and know the sound from real life.  It's the room right after you cross the open space area before the 3 floors room.

Then in Chapter 4:

Spoiler for Hiden:
The sound in the Atrium where the asteroids are crashing into the ship is very well done.

I am just loving this game.
Simon

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 18, 2008, 04:51:07 AM »

I laughed when I saw this written on a wall...

Spoiler for Hiden:
Fuck this ship

Having a tough time in Chapter 5 right now, pretty much no ammo and no stasis and lots of those little guys. icon_frown
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 18, 2008, 06:11:06 AM »

It sounds like you powered through it Chris. I was over two hrs at about 1/2 through the 2nd chapter....
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 18, 2008, 06:52:57 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on October 18, 2008, 06:11:06 AM

It sounds like you powered through it Chris. I was over two hrs at about 1/2 through the 2nd chapter....

Yeah, I've got about 7 hours and something logged and I'm a ways through Chapter 6.  Unless the final chapters are much shorter than those that went before, I expect I'll get close to 15 hours out of the game. 
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 18, 2008, 07:18:40 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 18, 2008, 03:59:06 AM

Haha, you let one person out of this entire thread make your decision?  What about all the others here who have raved about it?

For what it's worth, I just finished the game tonight myself.  I would give it a 90-95 overall, and worth $60... no regrets at all on buying it.  The production values and levels are through the roof.  Length was completely fine to me, I don't agree with Chris when he says it's too short.  As far as his criticism on replayability, I don't care about that aspect much at all.  I'm going to play through on Hard and try different weapon upgrading, which should be different and fun.  And I hear Hard is no cakewalk, so that should take a while.

The one thing I'll agree with Chris on is that the game is not what I would call 'scary'.  However, I don't see why anyone would consider that a big negative?  Bottom line is if the game is fun to play, which it is bigtime.  There are plenty of great non-scary games out there, so I don't see why that's an issue.  Personally, I didn't think RE4 was scary either (after I played for a couple hours and got used to what it was like), but it was still one of the best last-gen games around.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 18, 2008, 08:19:17 AM »

I decided to start over.

I figured it out by accident after playing for an hour or so.  I ran back and stomped all the ones I missed.

Am I missing a way to open the locked lockers?  If so, I'm not going to run back for all of those.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 18, 2008, 01:18:55 PM »

Quote from: Nth Power on October 18, 2008, 08:19:17 AM

I decided to start over.

I figured it out by accident after playing for an hour or so.  I ran back and stomped all the ones I missed.

Am I missing a way to open the locked lockers?  If so, I'm not going to run back for all of those.

I see quite a few locked areas and blocked areas that I have not opened by the time I completed the chapter.  I'm not talking about the ones that need power nodes to open them either.  I wonder if you can get back and open those.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 18, 2008, 02:09:55 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 18, 2008, 01:18:55 PM

I see quite a few locked areas and blocked areas that I have not opened by the time I completed the chapter.  I'm not talking about the ones that need power nodes to open them either.  I wonder if you can get back and open those.

Yes, you will return to those locked doors. 
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 18, 2008, 02:20:31 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 18, 2008, 02:09:55 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on October 18, 2008, 01:18:55 PM

Yes, you will return to those locked doors. 

Thanks KG
Roman

XboxLive: RomyBolognaPony

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: October 18, 2008, 03:11:12 PM »

Thanks forum effect  icon_evil I just went out this morning and picked up the 360 version. thumbsup
With a cold coming on and the weekend here - looks like it could not have happened at a better time.

Roman

Xbox Live Gamertag: RomyBolognaPony
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 18, 2008, 03:24:22 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on October 18, 2008, 07:18:40 AM

Haha, you let one person out of this entire thread make your decision?  What about all the others here who have raved about it?

it was enough for me to step back and say 'wait, there's 3 other huge games coming out in the next couple of weeks and you can't afford getting sucked in by the Forum Effect right now'.  I still plan on getting it, but I'm letting financial responsibility take control and waiting.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ChrisGrenard
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 18, 2008, 03:51:22 PM »

Quote from: KePoW
The one thing I'll agree with Chris on is that the game is not what I would call 'scary'.  However, I don't see why anyone would consider that a big negative?  Bottom line is if the game is fun to play, which it is bigtime.  There are plenty of great non-scary games out there, so I don't see why that's an issue.  Personally, I didn't think RE4 was scary either (after I played for a couple hours and got used to what it was like), but it was still one of the best last-gen games around.

Sounds like we're in agreement on most issues, we just prioritize them differently.

With regards to the "scary" - Everything I read leading up to the release indicated that the game was supposed to be scary.  I purchased it on account of this, as I really like scary games.  Thus when it was not, it was a bit disappointing.

The game is fun to play, as you say, but I really don't think it's as fun as RE4.  This is because the enemies tend to require very specific methods to kill them (aka, shoot the tentacles!) and each weapon (outside the flamethrower) pretty much just does exactly that, just in different ways.  Compare this with RE4's weaponset that included 5 different pistols (of which at least 2 were pretty unique), SMG's, sniper rifles and 3 different shotguns all of which had enough pros and cons to be picked over another.  Then again combine this with the variety in enemies (such as shield guys who required either piercing bullets, grenades or shotguns).

What I mean to imply is that this game simply lacks the diversity that would make for good multiple playthroughs.  Now, I fully grant that this would be mitigated by many people who simply want to play the game once and put it down.  However, with this type of game I drastically prefer that the game be fun on multiple playthroughs.  In this area, it's not ideal.  This could have easily been fixed if they would have allowed you to New Game+ into the extreme difficulty level, so that they didn't allow this disappointments me greatly.

Oh, and RE4 wasn't scary outside of your first few encounters with the Chainsaw guys.  And after multiple playthroughs where you are actively just messing with the bad guys for fun (such as luring large groups, face shooting one and then roundhousing the entire group) it actually approaches the realm of hilarity.  The difference in the games is that I'll never have as much fun with combat in this game as I did in that other game.

Again, I don't mean to disparage this game at all.  It's a very solid title that's deserving of praise, particularly when it comes to the engine, basic game mechanics and world construction.  It's just that I don't think that it's *the best* in the genre, and I wanted to tamper some of the enthusiasm for those on the fence.  This isn't what I would call a "Must-have" game, rather it's a "Pretty good pick" sorta game.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 18, 2008, 07:46:01 PM »

I am 5h 10m into the game and halfway through Chapter 4 fwiw.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 18, 2008, 10:40:08 PM »

Goddammit.  Asteroid Turret is impossible.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 18, 2008, 10:49:51 PM »

Quote from: kratz on October 18, 2008, 10:40:08 PM

Goddammit.  Asteroid Turret is impossible.

Are you using both triggers?
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 18, 2008, 10:50:11 PM »

Yeah, I was.

Took me 10+ tries.  The aiming was awful.
ChrisGrenard
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 18, 2008, 11:24:34 PM »

Quote from: kratz on October 18, 2008, 10:50:11 PM

Yeah, I was.

Took me 10+ tries.  The aiming was awful.
It's even worse for lefties.  Seriously, there was no need to make it that difficult, and then to also throw on "overheating" of the guns?

Simon

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 18, 2008, 11:30:02 PM »

Supposedly you get an achievement if you pass it at 50%. If the aiming were better I could see that being possible.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 18, 2008, 11:32:36 PM »

Quote from: Simon on October 18, 2008, 11:30:02 PM

Supposedly you get an achievement if you pass it at 50%. If the aiming were better I could see that being possible.

I beat it at 5% and was glad to be past it.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: