http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 04:24:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dead Space on your Wii  (Read 3023 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2009, 04:39:31 PM »

OK, so I just wanted to use that title  icon_wink  anyways, a Dead Space prequel is coming out for the Wii, and it looks halfway decent.  if they keep on pumping out good looking titles like this and Madworld I might start regretting selling my Wii.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 05:22:33 PM »

Bleh... rail shooter.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 05:30:34 PM »

I've been enjoying the light-gun games on the Wii so far.  If this is any good, I'll be IN.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 08:25:54 PM »

Looks nice and hopefully it will be fun but I think EA looked at the wrong RE Wii game to emulate- RE4 Wii shows that there was no reason that a more "traditional" Dead Space couldn't have worked on Wii. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 09:39:47 PM »

i loved Dead Space,and it was just said last week that it was originally meant to be released for the xbox 1....a Wii version sounds good ,i loved resi 4...however with it being a prequel,i downloaded all the video comics of xbox live marketplace which told the story before Dead Space happens...if its the same story,i already know what happened Tongue

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 12:07:03 AM »

BOO for being on the Wii only
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 02:56:29 AM »

It won't bother me that it's on rails, I now own 5 light gun games for the Wii and they've all been great fun. As well, it'll probably be more akin to Umbrella Chronicles and HotD Overkill than the other light gun games, and those 2 have been the best so far. I do agree this game would have worked perfectly well with the same gameplay mechanic as RE4 or MP3. Heck, in a way the 360 game reminded me of a RE4+MP3 combo.
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 03:07:11 AM »

I have Umbrella Chronicles, House of the Dead 2&3, plus Ghost Squad and I love all of them.
I finished the Dead Space last week and Wii version sound great!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 12:05:38 AM »

a new gameplay movie.  apparently they don't want to call the rail shooter a rail shooter  icon_wink

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 12:14:44 AM »

Quote from: biggercup on February 19, 2009, 03:07:11 AM

I have Umbrella Chronicles, House of the Dead 2&3, plus Ghost Squad and I love all of them.

You need to get HotD:Overkill.

mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 07:39:42 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 28, 2009, 12:05:38 AM

a new gameplay movie.  apparently they don't want to call the rail shooter a rail shooter  icon_wink

No, they are innovating! It's a "guided first person experience" - maybe they use cattle prods instead of rails.  Of course, you'd have to buy the cattle prod receiver for $49.99, but those will sell out fast...   

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 03:22:12 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on April 28, 2009, 12:14:44 AM

Quote from: biggercup on February 19, 2009, 03:07:11 AM

You need to get HotD:Overkill.

Finally got the HotD: Overkill from Goozex.
Love the game and can't wait for the Dead Space to come out!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 07:40:57 AM »

holy cow.. 18 minutes of gameplay footage.  save it for your lunch break  icon_wink

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 02:22:12 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 29, 2009, 07:40:57 AM

holy cow.. 18 minutes of gameplay footage.  save it for your lunch break  icon_wink

CeeKay, do you work for VE3D?  All your links are from there nowadays.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 01:03:34 PM »

First review I've seen is out.  Eurogamer is gushing with their 8/10.

After showering Dead Space: Extraction with so much unreserved acclaim, it's gratifying not to have to report too many niggles along the way. Admittedly it's not the longest game in the world, clocking in at about six hours for the entire main campaign, but it's worth discounting that on the basis of a decent amount of replayability. It's also slightly irksome to have to play each chapter without the ability to save your progress - particularly if you're stuck on the tricky boss encounters - but thankfully the chapters are generally short and sweet enough that you won't mind starting again if need be.

Luckily for a game with such unapologetic cinematic pretensions, Dead Space: Extraction does a fine job of weaving an engaging sci-fi narrative into a slick action game. Far from being a stripped-down side-show to the main event, Extraction provides yet another reminder of how brainlessly entertaining the on-rails shooter can be when it's done properly. With brilliant core combat and an array of heart-pounding set pieces, this provides ample proof that the Wii can service the hardcore when it wants.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009, 01:08:51 PM »

huh - having just started playing Deadspace on the Xbox, this is actually the first Wii game I'm interested in since Wii Sports...

A new one
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 01:15:24 PM »

I never understood why a sequel (in this case a prequel) would be released on a different system(s) than the original was made for.

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009, 02:01:43 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on September 24, 2009, 01:08:51 PM

huh - having just started playing Deadspace on the Xbox, this is actually the first Wii game I'm interested in since Wii Sports...

This is a game I'd think about buying a Wii for!
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2009, 03:22:49 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on September 24, 2009, 02:01:43 PM

I think you'll regret that.  Sure DS would be fun, but in reality there isn't much going for the Wii.  Our wii hasn't been turned on since last christmas
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2009, 03:28:17 PM »

Quote from: naednek on September 24, 2009, 03:22:49 PM

Our wii hasn't been turned on since last christmas

there's pills for that  icon_twisted Tongue

Because I can,
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2009, 04:11:02 PM »

I think you'll regret that.  Sure DS would be fun, but in reality there isn't much going for the Wii.  Our wii hasn't been turned on since last christmas

As Colin Cowherd of ESPN Radio would say, this is more of a you problem than a Wii problem...

I've played about 10 different games on the Wii over the past 9 months and there are at least 4 or 5 that I can't even get to now. Plenty of stuff to play, you just have to look for it. Some suggestions, Little Kings Story, Cursed Mountain, Tiger Woods 10, Muramasa, The Conduit, Punchout, Madworld, Spyborgs, Spectrobes, House of the Dead, Excitebots, Skate It, Shaun White, and I could name some more marginal titles that are really cheap now and fun. Not to mention Wiiware and Virtual Console. I think too many folks are too quick to discount what they have in their Wii slywink

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2009, 04:28:41 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on September 24, 2009, 04:11:02 PM

I think you'll regret that.  Sure DS would be fun, but in reality there isn't much going for the Wii.  Our wii hasn't been turned on since last christmas

As Colin Cowherd of ESPN Radio would say, this is more of a you problem than a Wii problem...

I've played about 10 different games on the Wii over the past 9 months and there are at least 4 or 5 that I can't even get to now. Plenty of stuff to play, you just have to look for it. Some suggestions, Little Kings Story, Cursed Mountain, Tiger Woods 10, Muramasa, The Conduit, Punchout, Madworld, Spyborgs, Spectrobes, House of the Dead, Excitebots, Skate It, Shaun White, and I could name some more marginal titles that are really cheap now and fun. Not to mention Wiiware and Virtual Console. I think too many folks are too quick to discount what they have in their Wii slywink

Agreed (except for the Conduit).  You have to add Metroid Prime Trilogy to that as well.   And that's not even counting the stuff that's coming.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 04:31:45 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2009, 04:30:23 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 24, 2009, 03:28:17 PM

Our wii hasn't been turned on since last christmas

there's pills for that  icon_twisted Tongue

I have proof in my wife's uterus that I don't have that problem smile 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2009, 07:46:59 PM »

IGN liked it a lot as well (though the reviewer gets "scared" and "startled" confused).  8.5.

Closing Comments
When news first broke that Dead Space Extraction was going to be a light gun game, many fans of the original game (myself included) hoped for the best, but also were saddened a bit to hear that the franchise wouldn’t be a true Dead Space game at heart. After playing every mission, completing every challenge, and maxing out every weapon the game, however, I happily stand corrected. Extraction won’t scare you like the 360 predecessor did, but EA’s new Visceral Studios and Eurocom teamed up to deliver a Dead Space experience Wii fans could be proud of (and franchise fans would actually want to play), and they succeeded in every possible way. The origin story is well executed, the gameplay is frantic and fun, the use of stasis, secondary weapon fire, telekinesis, and zero gravity all make a return, and strategic dismemberment is now the only way to do Wii light gun games as far as I’m concerned.

Extraction isn’t like its 360 brother, but it is a true Dead Space experience, and the game is not only packed with content, but also very polished. If it were up to me I’d change a few of cheesy lines, add some much-needed scares, and rethink some of the bland bosses, but if the question is “Can a light gun game truly feel like a real Dead Space experience” the answer is a resounding “Yes.” If EA doesn’t push the series in a more traditional direction on Wii, hopefully we’ll get a sequel to Extraction that takes the groundwork established here and pushes it even further. If you love Dead Space or fancy a good light gun game now and then you owe it to yourself to pick up Extraction. As far as this reviewer is concerned Dead Space rules the point-and-shoot roost on Wii. I’ve played the hell out of EA’s competition, and Dead Space sits at the top of the pile.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2009, 08:08:27 PM »

What's up with the reviewer repeatedly pointing out that the original game was a 360 game when it actually was on all major platforms?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2009, 06:17:50 PM »

Well it looks like this game only sold 9,000 copies in Sept.  Sucks, because I read it was good.  I was thinking about getting a Wii just for this game, but I couldn't justify the cost for one game.  I would have grabbig this in a heartbeat, had it been for the other two consoles.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2009, 06:52:32 PM »

I wish there wasn't as many other games I want, otherwise I'd buy it as I really like the on-rails shooters for the Wii that have co-op play. I've tried to rent it a few times, but it's always been out. frown
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2009, 07:37:25 PM »

I wish the EAs and Capcoms of the world would stop limiting their "hardcore games" to on rails shooters. I have no interest in the genre, and little interest to try it out for $50 knowing it's a short game.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2009, 07:47:35 PM »

I had a blast with it, great atmosphere and surprisingly good gameplay for a railshooter.

Hopefully the numbers are a bit better this month since it came out at the end of September.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2009, 07:51:21 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 21, 2009, 06:17:50 PM

Well it looks like this game only sold 9,000 copies in Sept.  Sucks, because I read it was good.  I was thinking about getting a Wii just for this game, but I couldn't justify the cost for one game.  I would have grabbig this in a heartbeat, had it been for the other two consoles.

Two reasons it failed:

1) It came out on the 29th of the month. 9K sales in 2 days for a non-causal Wii title aren't that bad.
2) Absolutely NO marketing, much less any in an area that a casual gamer would look at. In other words, no TV, newspaper, or in-store advertising.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2009, 09:44:43 PM »

Yeah, I suspect this got blown a little out of proportion, although I'm sure it's not doing blockbuster business.

I've played the first two missions, and it's fun, though most of the suspense seems to come from not pulling inventory items to you in time.  I find that part a little annoying, honestly. 

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2009, 11:26:00 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on October 21, 2009, 07:51:21 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on October 21, 2009, 06:17:50 PM

Well it looks like this game only sold 9,000 copies in Sept.  Sucks, because I read it was good.  I was thinking about getting a Wii just for this game, but I couldn't justify the cost for one game.  I would have grabbig this in a heartbeat, had it been for the other two consoles.

Two reasons it failed:

1) It came out on the 29th of the month. 9K sales in 2 days for a non-causal Wii title aren't that bad.
2) Absolutely NO marketing, much less any in an area that a casual gamer would look at. In other words, no TV, newspaper, or in-store advertising.

NPD period went to Oct 3rd so it was actually 5 days of sales. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2009, 12:01:18 AM »

yeah as Destructor says,some analyst blamed EA for not marketing the game

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=225800

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2009, 06:53:44 PM »

I read that there's a part in the game where an alien has you and the only way to escape is to cut your own arms off, swinging the wiimote to hack at them. If I hadn't already played Dead Space, and I had a Wii, I'd get the game just for that part slywink

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2009, 06:55:28 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 22, 2009, 06:53:44 PM

I read that there's a part in the game where an alien has you and the only way to escape is to cut your own arms off, swinging the wiimote to hack at them. If I hadn't already played Dead Space, and I had a Wii, I'd get the game just for that part slywink

Luckily in the Dead Space universe, they clone for body parts, so you'd be ok in the long run slywink
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2009, 07:10:03 PM »

On the positive side I'm guessing this game will be available for $10-20 before Christmas. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2009, 07:14:09 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on October 22, 2009, 06:53:44 PM

I read that there's a part in the game where an alien has you and the only way to escape is to cut your own arms off, swinging the wiimote to hack at them.

Spoilarz !!!

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2009, 07:15:37 PM »

The alien late gets hold of you somewhat further down, and you'll have to hack that off as well, while holding the Wiiemote in your mouth....

A new one
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2009, 07:16:44 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on October 22, 2009, 07:15:37 PM

The alien late gets hold of you somewhat further down, and you'll have to hack that off as well, while holding the Wiiemote in your mouth....

Spoilarz !!!

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2009, 08:22:44 PM »

I heard even later on you have to hack off your own head, and then play a whole segment using just sound from the speakers to tell what's going on.

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: