http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 06:40:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dead Space confirmed for PC(IGN hands on 9/8)  (Read 2311 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2008, 01:24:16 AM »

EA has confirmed that Dead Space will appear on PC, and says downloadable content for all three versions is under way.

Speaking exclusively to Eurogamer Germany, executive producer Glen Schofield also revealed the story would not finish there, opening the door to future sequels. Shock.

"I would definitely like to make future Dead Space games," said Schofield, probably through Gordon the Gopher. "I'd love for this to become a well established franchise; we've created a huge and rich back story and universe, so other games could easily be made."

No Hud? Got it. No pauses to mess with inventory? Yep. The Thing monsters? Check. Zero-grav gameplay? Check. Steel Hard On? Check. Good EA game? Check.

So sequels too. Neat.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=90809
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 03:42:10 AM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 03:42:28 AM »

IGN gets a little hands on time with Dead Space...due next month.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/908/908668p1.html

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 01:09:19 PM »

This Gameplanet (New Zealand) interview with the game's Producer in Charge of Scripted Events and Other Story Elements for Dead Space has some brief mention of the PC version (I guess that version hasn't gone gold yet?):
http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/features/132412.20081001.Dead-Space-Q-A/
GP: Is the PC version optimized well for the mouse and keyboard users amongst us, or is Dead Space really something that only suits the controller crowd?

Rich Briggs: We spent a lot of time making sure the PC version had the best control scheme possible. We tested various configurations and implemented what we felt worked best for the mouse and keyboard. In addition, the keyboard controls are able to be remapped by the player.
EB seems to indicate the PC version pre-orders ship a bit later (10/20 rather than 10/14) and costs $10 less ($49.99) fwiw.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 01:11:26 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Speaker2Animals
Gaming Trend Reader

Diplomatic Kzin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 12:24:42 AM »

Daehawk, nice heads-up on this title. Had never heard of it before, but IGN link sounds promising enough-gets onto my Pay Close Attention/Consider Carefully list. Thnx!
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 04:06:26 AM »

has anyone played this for the PC?  I was looking to get a new game to try out on my new rig, and it was between Assassin's Creed or Farcry 2 until I read some impressions and reviews for this game and decided to pick this up.  Man, is this game ever cool.

I definitely wished that the camera was zoomed out a little bit more, that I could re-map to the keypad and the dismemberment gets repetitive a bit because you only really get a few types of enemies (so far).  But the rest of the game is really fun.  The sound design is great, and the HUD-less design is not just a gimmick, and it has a really cool cinematic feel.

So, does anyone have hints in terms of what weapons/items to definitely get or not to get?
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 04:26:43 AM »

Quote from: lex on December 10, 2008, 04:06:26 AM

has anyone played this for the PC?  I was looking to get a new game to try out on my new rig, and it was between Assassin's Creed or Farcry 2 until I read some impressions and reviews for this game and decided to pick this up.  Man, is this game ever cool.

I definitely wished that the camera was zoomed out a little bit more, that I could re-map to the keypad and the dismemberment gets repetitive a bit because you only really get a few types of enemies (so far).  But the rest of the game is really fun.  The sound design is great, and the HUD-less design is not just a gimmick, and it has a really cool cinematic feel.

So, does anyone have hints in terms of what weapons/items to definitely get or not to get?

The camera is set like that to make it more claustrophobic.  I personally was ok with it, but I know others echoed your comments as well. 

As for weapons, the starter gun is great for the whole game.  The line gun also is very good.  The military rifle sucks.  The rest are kind of up to you.

Enjoy, the game rules!
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 03:47:33 PM »

I decided to stick with the starting gun, and just upgraded the hell out of it. I'm in Chapter 6 now and have already maxed it out. What's nice about sticking with one weapon is that you can sell all the extra stuff you find to buy power nodes to upgrade it. You have to be a bit more strategic in conserving ammo, but thus far I haven't run into any major problems.

I'm using the wireless receiver for using a 360 controller on the PC, and it works wonderfully for this game.

Definitely one of the best shooters I've played in a long while.
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 11:19:16 PM »

I bought and then immediately sold the pulse rifle thing because it was pretty useless.  I figure I'll keep one main gun where I pour all the upgrade nodes into.  It kind of sucks that the upgrades to your suit don't get transferred when you buy a new one.

I'm ok with the keyboard controls so far, just takes a little getting used to.

I'm definitely enjoying this game.  I guess it got released during the same time as a whole bunch of other high profile games and thought that it just got bad reviews.
Fedaykin
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 07:35:14 AM »

Quote from: lex on December 10, 2008, 11:19:16 PM

It kind of sucks that the upgrades to your suit don't get transferred when you buy a new one.

must be a bug then, i maxed the HP and almost all the air nodes, and they all transferred when i upgraded.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 05:02:21 PM »

Quote from: Fedaykin on December 11, 2008, 07:35:14 AM

Quote from: lex on December 10, 2008, 11:19:16 PM

It kind of sucks that the upgrades to your suit don't get transferred when you buy a new one.

must be a bug then, i maxed the HP and almost all the air nodes, and they all transferred when i upgraded.

Yeah they definitely should transfer over, because once you buy a new one, you cannot go back.  So something is up.  It did not behave like that in the console version.
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 03:09:55 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on December 11, 2008, 05:02:21 PM

Yeah they definitely should transfer over, because once you buy a new one, you cannot go back.  So something is up.  It did not behave like that in the console version.

Upon closer examination.....I can't remember if I actually put any upgrade nodes into my first suit or not.... Roll Eyes

I think I'm going to restart - and try to better conserve ammo.  I just ran out and enemies are dropping the wrong type of ammo for me.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 05:19:51 AM »

Quote from: lex on December 12, 2008, 03:09:55 AM

I think I'm going to restart - and try to better conserve ammo.  I just ran out and enemies are dropping the wrong type of ammo for me.

You don't have to restart. Sell the weapons you don't use. Keep just two weapons. The game will give you ammo mostly for the weapons you carry, so if you carry any weapons you'll never use, you're wasting a lot of ammo.
YellowKing

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 01:09:21 PM »

I confirmed the upgrades transfer last night. Which is good, because I had maxed out my Level 3 suit before I bought my Level 4, and was going to start throwing things if they didn't.  icon_smile

The game definitely gets harder towards the end levels. Throughout the game I've been wondering where all the ammo shortage complaints were coming from, and now I find myself tapped out the majority of the time.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2008, 05:20:30 PM »

Yeah, no need to restart... your melee should get you by until you get some more ammo... sell your stuff off to get more... and make sure you shoot limbs!  The plasma cutter and line gun become the shit!
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2008, 03:14:23 PM »

Quote from: kratz on December 12, 2008, 05:20:30 PM

Yeah, no need to restart... your melee should get you by until you get some more ammo... sell your stuff off to get more... and make sure you shoot limbs!  The plasma cutter and line gun become the shit!

Thanks guys!!  I'll see how far I can make it on just melee before I get some ammo.  I want to restart anyways, knowing what I know now (I'm not that far into the game I don't think)
Lord Percy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2008, 12:18:06 AM »

I just finished this and had a lot of fun with it. The story was very predictable and unconvincing (except for the ending  icon_twisted), but the gameplay was great. I also stuck with the starting gun and upgraded all the damage nodes and a bunch of capacity nodes. Same with the line gun, which is great for certain enemies and when you're being swarmed. All the other guns were pointless, IMO. The pulse rifle is great for
Spoiler for Hiden:
those little swarmy things and the larger swarmy things
, but doesn't do you much good apart from that. The flamer is kind of similar, but it doesn't work in a vacuum and it takes forever to kill most things with it. The other weapons also don't kill fast enough. Good thing it's so satisfying to flow off limbs and tentacles with the line gun then. biggrin

It's kind of hard to point out why it kept me playing, but it was probably the different environments. It seemed like every area was like a tiny little puzzle you had to overcome, and the puzzle was slightly different every time. This game was never really on my radar, but I consider it a surprise hit. It's definitely worth a playthrough.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 04:31:39 PM »

I picked this up today, I just stumbled onto it at Best Buy at lunch and thought I'd finally give it a spin. I'll share some screenies once I give it my belated whirl.

I'll do some searches at home later, but has this been patched/updated at some point?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 04:39:35 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2010, 05:16:47 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on January 17, 2008, 01:24:16 AM

EA has confirmed that Dead Space will appear on PC, and says downloadable content for all three versions is under way.

Speaking exclusively to Eurogamer Germany, executive producer Glen Schofield also revealed the story would not finish there, opening the door to future sequels. Shock.

"I would definitely like to make future Dead Space games," said Schofield, probably through Gordon the Gopher. "I'd love for this to become a well established franchise; we've created a huge and rich back story and universe, so other games could easily be made."

No Hud? Got it. No pauses to mess with inventory? Yep. The Thing monsters? Check. Zero-grav gameplay? Check. Steel Hard On? Check. Good EA game? Check.

So sequels too. Neat.

yeah... not so much  disgust

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 05:12:34 PM »

Arise thread! The only bummer to my new plan of waiting til games drop in price is that the threads are often long dead by the time I play, unless I get a great deal like Metro 2033.
Just resurecting to say I am really enjoying this game. Great atmosphere and action. I like the rpg elements of upgrading your character, with choices always being a tradeoff. And this is the only checkpoint game that works! it must save automaticaly at some points as well as the save stations because I've had a couple of sudden deaths and been revived right before the scene. This game has been a joy to play. Too bad the sequel is console only.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 07:30:05 PM »

I would love to grab this on a 5 dollar sale.  Hint Hint D2D.

"Goonies never say die"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: