http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 07:49:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dead Rising is SO good.  (Read 2090 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2006, 04:47:13 AM »

I just got ending A
Spoiler for Hiden:
on into overtime!  icon_cool
and have to say, that right now, this is my GOTY.

I'm not a fan of zombies in the least, but this game is just a blast.  It's clever, witty, tension filled, has great pacing and won't let go of me.

And, watch out now, I'm going to chime in and say...the save system is an effective way to augment tension in this game.  At first I didnt like it, but as the game progressed, it grew on me.  I usually loathe such a mechanism, but it has worked perfectly, IMO.

I was far more cautious, far more tense (as one should be when battling the undead horde) and far more drawn in because I knew I had one chance...just one one chance!

Right now, my gaming moment of the year is: 

Spoiler for Hiden:
I was in the underground garage collecting the bombs.  Most of my go to weapons (blades) were dinged up and ready to wear out.  The final vehicle I had at my disposal had taken too many oxygen tank hits and crashed in a heap, unable to get me to the exit.  I was on foot, in the dark, with a couple knives, no food and thousands of zombies between me and the only way out.  I was absolute steel beam tense and I somehow made it out.  It was exhausting and exhilirating.

But if there had been a way to save just before getting to that point, what has become a defining game moment for me would have been just another reload and retry.

Dead Rising.  Brilliant.  Though I'm not all the way done, it is definitely an A+ title for me. Any news of a sequel?
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 04:50:51 AM »

Yeah, DR is my favorite 360 title so far as well.

I thought I'd seen an announcement for a sequel somewhere already...
warning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 04:53:43 AM »

I'm sure it's a great game and all but the save system sucks ass.  Here's what they should have done:

1) Offered the current save system "as is" as an option.  If people choose to play the game that way then they get the best ending and ten zillion achievement points.

2) Offer a "regular" save system as another option for people who don't care about bragging rights, achievement points, endings or any of that crap.

Some people have limited time, have families, have things come up and have to stop playing on fairly short notice and Dead Rising is pretty prohibitive for people like me.  If they had option #2 then I would have bought it instead of renting it.  Less options = lost sale.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 06:42:39 AM »

The game sold well (at least for it's first month) and considering it's Capcom, I think a sequel is all but set in stone. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 06:48:06 AM »

I've been thinking about getting DR, but I'm still miffed over the whole 'let's screw over non-hdtv owners by using too small text' idea Capcom went with.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 01:35:58 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 18, 2006, 06:48:06 AM

I've been thinking about getting DR, but I'm still miffed over the whole 'let's screw over non-hdtv owners by using too small text' idea Capcom went with.

The text is even pretty small on my 30'' HD.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 01:44:29 PM »

dead rising came to me at the wrong time....i bought it when i was buying 360 games left right and centre.....so wehn i got stuck at adam the son of a bitch clown......i didnt go back and retry it

one day i'll kick that clowns ass

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 11:43:43 PM »

You know...you could have skipped that fight...
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2006, 12:12:26 AM »

Honestly, does it ever go beyond just killing boring slow hordes of zombies in as many ways as you can think?  I want a compelling survival story of some kind and not a kill-zombie sandbox.  Is it more than that?

I am Xboxalot on Live.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2006, 01:13:09 AM »

Quote from: mikeg on November 19, 2006, 12:12:26 AM

Honestly, does it ever go beyond just killing boring slow hordes of zombies in as many ways as you can think?  I want a compelling survival story of some kind and not a kill-zombie sandbox.  Is it more than that?

Uh, yeah... there's a whole mission-based plot along with plenty of side-quests.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2006, 01:33:06 AM »

Maybe I will have to rent it then.  I only played the demo and it seemed like a mindnumbing zombie slaughter sandbox.  Soooo boring after about 5 minutes.  I reckon I can give it a rent shot.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2006, 01:33:46 AM »

If they had options for a decent save system and killing the timed thing I would have been all over this.  Unfortunately that was a no go.  

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2006, 01:56:19 AM »

Quote from: warning on November 18, 2006, 04:53:43 AM

I'm sure it's a great game and all but the save system sucks ass.  Here's what they should have done:

1) Offered the current save system "as is" as an option.  If people choose to play the game that way then they get the best ending and ten zillion achievement points.

2) Offer a "regular" save system as another option for people who don't care about bragging rights, achievement points, endings or any of that crap.

Some people have limited time, have families, have things come up and have to stop playing on fairly short notice and Dead Rising is pretty prohibitive for people like me.  If they had option #2 then I would have bought it instead of renting it.  Less options = lost sale.

Agreed. I'll probably get it when it's bargain bin though.
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2006, 01:56:43 AM »

Wasn't my cup of tea but I do think it was a quality title and a good example of what "next gen" can do.

16-bit and loving it!
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2006, 02:28:14 PM »

I bought it on release day. I played for three hours that night. I died, hit "save progress and continue" or whatever the badly described option is.. lost three hours of game progress, and proceeded to never play it again.

The save system is awful.

It's still sitting on my shelf. I keep thinking maybe I'll pick it back up.. but it hasn't happened yet. There's too many other games that save my progress in a manner that doesn't make me want to throw a brick at my 360.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2006, 04:05:23 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 18, 2006, 11:43:43 PM

You know...you could have skipped that fight...

Spoiler for Hiden:
And miss out on the best weapon in the game?  Not to mention a handy shortcut?  And some very cool and bloody cutscenes?

I also didn't have a problem with the save system.  I think that the "let the gamer decide how he wants to play his game" mantra in a good guideline, but isn't absolute.  I think the save system was important in allowing the developer to establish pacing and tension.  I think there could have been tweaks made to allow people with time limitations to quit when they needed to without disturbin the flow of the game, but otherwise I thought it fit better with this particular game than a "save anywhere" system.

I loved the game.  I played all the way through once (best ending) but haven't tried infinity mode.  I intend to go through it again at some point to get some more of the achievements and see some stuff I missed, but I've got too much else on my plate right now.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2006, 05:27:16 PM »

I plan on going through the main story again at some point- so that I can take down some of the psychopaths that I didn't have time for...and maybe rescue some more people... and actually, taking photos was an afterthought for me. Might try to get some more of those...

and maybe the 54k zombie kill achievement  icon_twisted
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2006, 05:32:49 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 20, 2006, 05:27:16 PM

I plan on going through the main story again at some point- so that I can take down some of the psychopaths that I didn't have time for...and maybe rescue some more people... and actually, taking photos was an afterthought for me. Might try to get some more of those...

You want the achievement. It gives access to the real best weapon in the game.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2006, 07:00:22 PM »

Yeah, but you don't have to do that to "finish" the game, right?  So you can play GoW without losing your "bet".

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2006, 07:22:58 PM »

Quote from: godhugh on November 20, 2006, 05:32:49 PM

Maybe over time I'll work up to that. I'm almost done with the 4th day and only have 6600 kills.  Another 48k really seems like it would take a bit of time biggrin
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2006, 07:23:30 PM »

Quote from: Thin_J on November 20, 2006, 02:28:14 PM

I bought it on release day. I played for three hours that night. I died, hit "save progress and continue" or whatever the badly described option is.. lost three hours of game progress, and proceeded to never play it again.

It's still sitting on my shelf. I keep thinking maybe I'll pick it back up.. but it hasn't happened yet. There's too many other games that save my progress in a manner that doesn't make me want to throw a brick at my 360.

I can't begin to tell you how many games have done that to many and thus I will never touch them again most likely.  After many hours of playing to lose it and do it all over again is a sure fire killer of fun for me.  Actually had that happen to me in Call of Duty 3 and thus I returned the rental and will not be picking up again.  Will wait for the PC version for many reasons, but yes, a bad or poor save system sucks badly.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2006, 07:23:34 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on November 20, 2006, 07:00:22 PM

Yeah, but you don't have to do that to "finish" the game, right?  So you can play GoW without losing your "bet".

Um, correct.  All achievements wasn't one of my criteria slywink
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2006, 07:24:19 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on November 20, 2006, 07:23:30 PM

I can't begin to tell you how many games have done that to many and thus I will never touch them again most likely.  After many hours of playing to lose it and do it all over again is a sure fire killer of fun for me.  Actually had that happen to me in Call of Duty 3 and thus I returned the rental and will not be picking up again.  Will wait for the PC version for many reasons, but yes, a bad or poor save system sucks badly.

I agree on all counts, but I personally don't consider it a bad save system...it works perfectly with this game.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2006, 07:37:53 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 20, 2006, 07:22:58 PM

Maybe over time I'll work up to that. I'm almost done with the 4th day and only have 6600 kills.  Another 48k really seems like it would take a bit of time biggrin

I ended up grinding it. Just put on a custom soundtrack, grabbed some vehicles, headed down to the garage and ran over 54k zombies. Took about 2-3 hours. I then just went to the roof and waited for the helicopter (you have to get an ending before the achievement awards become available). It was worth it though, that weapon made my second run through the game so much fun. Actually ended up accomplishing every side and main story mission smile.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2006, 07:45:03 PM »

Quote from: godhugh on November 20, 2006, 07:37:53 PM

Quote from: ATB on November 20, 2006, 07:22:58 PM

I ended up grinding it. Just put on a custom soundtrack, grabbed some vehicles, headed down to the garage and ran over 54k zombies. Took about 2-3 hours. I then just went to the roof and waited for the helicopter (you have to get an ending before the achievement awards become available). It was worth it though, that weapon made my second run through the game so much fun. Actually ended up accomplishing every side and main story mission smile.

stop it stop it stop it! Must ignore...godhugh...
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2006, 08:07:45 PM »

I can't begin to tell you how many games have done that to many and thus I will never touch them again most likely.  After many hours of playing to lose it and do it all over again is a sure fire killer of fun for me.  Actually had that happen to me in Call of Duty 3 and thus I returned the rental and will not be picking up again.  Will wait for the PC version for many reasons, but yes, a bad or poor save system sucks badly.

not sure if you're aware, but there's not going to be a PC version of CoD3
warning

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2006, 08:22:44 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 20, 2006, 07:24:19 PM

I can't begin to tell you how many games have done that to many and thus I will never touch them again most likely.  After many hours of playing to lose it and do it all over again is a sure fire killer of fun for me.  Actually had that happen to me in Call of Duty 3 and thus I returned the rental and will not be picking up again.  Will wait for the PC version for many reasons, but yes, a bad or poor save system sucks badly.

I agree on all counts, but I personally don't consider it a bad save system...it works perfectly for me with this game.

There I fixed that.   icon_biggrin
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2006, 08:55:06 PM »

Um that's why it says 'personally' a few words before it.  retard

Warning's reading comprehension impacted by his -5 sword of dulling wits.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2006, 09:25:29 PM »

Anyone know if I should bother to try to shoot down the helicopter?
warning

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2006, 09:28:17 PM »

Heh.  Some days are better than others.   retard

It does frustrate me though because I wanted to like the game a lot.  It falls into the same category as Resident Evil 4 for me: a promisingly scary game saddled with unnecessary mechanics to artificially increase tension.  In RE4 it was the controls and in Dead Rising it's the save system.

I can't believe it's that difficult to make a scary or intense game without some hamstringing mechanism that artificially increases tension.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2006, 09:30:29 PM »

Quote from: ATB on November 20, 2006, 09:25:29 PM

There's an achievement for it and maybe a clothing item reward. I never did it.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2006, 09:44:34 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on November 20, 2006, 09:30:29 PM

Quote from: ATB on November 20, 2006, 09:25:29 PM

There's an achievement for it and maybe a clothing item reward. I never did it.

Well, then, I'll try, but not too hard...
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2006, 03:44:35 AM »

Well I got the true ending tonight so I'm chalking this game up as complete.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Not sure what the scream was about nor how he got out safely.  I thought the ending was a let down and that text to explain the outcome was a heinous cop out for the programmers...

Also, the end boss was a PITA.  I didn't like that it was a non-weapons show down as, other than kicks and an occaisional judo throw, I never used any of them.

I found an exploit on gamefaqs- get on the lower platform wait for him to jump down and kick him, he'll climb back up to the top and repeat all over....but man fighting brock- who had a bit part to say the least- kinda soured the ending for me.

Overall the game still rates an A+ for me and is a great intro in the current gen. 

I'm thinking about hitting infinity mode, but don't know yet.

Also, of all my friends, I have the highest PP score. Huzzah for me!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: