http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 11:39:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dead Rising impressions!  (Read 29159 times)
coopasonic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: October 24, 2006, 07:59:53 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on October 24, 2006, 07:42:36 PM

Does the shortcut become available on restart?  Also, do you get access to the mini chainsaws on restart?

No and no, you have to do the scoop again. it should be easier the second time around.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 24, 2006, 08:13:57 PM »

bull i think i was somewhere in the 10 - 15 range - i think you said you were 12? that should be nice to make the game a bit easier - the first day should now be a breeze, and the second wont be bad at all.  and yes it hurts to realize there WILL be parts you miss.

and weyland park hints

Spoiler for Hiden:
an easy way to beat the clown is to kill the zombie cops beforehand (youll see 3 or 4 right at the stairs on the the second level across from the coaster) - then when the clown shows up you just unload on him with pistols. when and if you run out, hes usually so beat up you can take him out with a couple sword / melee whacks. and i never killed the guys in the car, i just run and make it pretty easily.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 24, 2006, 09:59:02 PM »

One little tip...

Right after you start a playthrough (on the beginning of day 1 in other words) immediately head for the gun shop in the North Plaza. The psycho who guards it will not be there and you can stock up on sniper rifles and shotguns. Makes the clown, jeep guys, and various other obstacles much easier at the beginning.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: October 24, 2006, 10:37:52 PM »

The clown will block bullets with his chainsaw.  Best way to kill him is actually to run downstairs and kick those multi colored toy boxes at him.  Someone mentioned this above, but it's the easiest way to kill him since you can attack him from a distance, you don't have to worry about timing, a hit from the box will interrupt any attack he's doing, and he can't block it.

As for the convicts, I got lucky and killed them with just a pistol.  They got stuck on a tree right next to me and the gunner was spinning the gun my way, all the while my survivors were running for the door on the other side of the map.  I shot the gunner a few times in the head and killed him, then quickly ran and grabbed the heavy machinegun from the back of the jeep and killed the other two.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 24, 2006, 10:41:53 PM »

Well, you don't just unload on the clown. You shoot the balloon when he's blowing it up to stun him. Then you can hit him with a few shotgun blasts or pistol shots.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #245 on: October 25, 2006, 12:03:37 AM »

My problem with trying a marathon session is that I don't think my 360 will run that long.  My first 360 died and my second after only about 3 hours worth of play is already getting the dreaded red lights.  Piece of crap system.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 26, 2006, 06:13:06 PM »

I just finished case 6 and have to say that I'm thoroughly enjoying this game.

I've had to replay a few sections as I've cut a few things a bit too tight, but otherwise I'm riveted.

Good story. Great action. Neat subplots.  It's easily back in A territory now.
Goonch
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 26, 2006, 06:20:38 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 26, 2006, 06:13:06 PM

I just finished case 6 and have to say that I'm thoroughly enjoying this game.

I've had to replay a few sections as I've cut a few things a bit too tight, but otherwise I'm riveted.

Good story. Great action. Neat subplots.  It's easily back in A territory now.
thumbsup I can actually say that DR brought me out of my pc gaming slump and was one of the reasons that I purchased a 360  icon_cool.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 30, 2006, 05:48:40 PM »

I played through the whole game without having to restart at a higher level. i started at level 0 and worked up to 34 through the complete
Spoiler for Hiden:
4 days.
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 11, 2007, 07:39:15 PM »

Argh!  I picked this up with my 360 and I'm having fun.  Killing zombies is the best.

This is a hard game!  How in the world are you supposed to do all of the side quests and rescue all of the survivors?  How in the world do you kill the psychopaths in the park?  They get me every time.  I'm afraid of going out at night.  Any weapon recommendations?  I like the fast ones, like the hunting knife: they're not good for killing zombies but great for escaping from them. 

So, I found some Japanese tourists in a bookstore, but I couldn't get them to follow me or even to acknowledge that I was there.  What's up with that? 

xbox live: nude rick james
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 11, 2007, 07:40:05 PM »

One more thing - are the judo kicks and stuff taught in game or do you have to look them up on gamefaqs or something?  The only one that I have figured out is how to jump and kick a zombie (or that photographer) in the head.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 11, 2007, 07:42:12 PM »

Remember that the game is designed around having multiple playthroughs.  Don't expect to be able to rescue everyone from the start, and feel free to die in a blaze of glory as you gain XP and new skills for the next run.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 11, 2007, 07:46:22 PM »

i have started this game so many times now,just so that i am a decent level when i start(it saves your level but you have to play through again if you quit)

after i have finished metal gear solid 3(which i am loving all over again)i will have to go back to this...it is a great game

rumour has it that dead rising 2 will be announced soon(next week).......wonder whether ps3 will have it,wonder where it will be set...shopping mall again?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: April 11, 2007, 07:47:38 PM »

I'm waiting for the co-op version of DR1 to be released. smile

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 11, 2007, 07:52:47 PM »

Quote from: Clay on April 11, 2007, 07:39:15 PM

So, I found some Japanese tourists in a bookstore, but I couldn't get them to follow me or even to acknowledge that I was there.  What's up with that? 

Spoiler for Hiden:
There is a book laying around somewhere that will teach you Japanese.  I believe it's near the counter. Read it and then you can talk to them and (eventually) get them to follow you.
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: April 11, 2007, 08:25:17 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on April 11, 2007, 07:42:12 PM

Remember that the game is designed around having multiple playthroughs.  Don't expect to be able to rescue everyone from the start, and feel free to die in a blaze of glory as you gain XP and new skills for the next run.

If you die and then reload from a save -- you don't get the advantages that you gained since last loading, though, do you?  Man, the freakin' dudes in the park in the jeep are killing me.  I wish there were an easy way to take them out.  I can't figure them out.

Thanks for the tips with the Japanese people.  I can only imagine what I'm missing due to being unable to read any of the text on the screen.  Any weapon highlights worth mentioning?  Trying to bowl down a ton of zombies is fun.

godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 12, 2007, 12:00:55 AM »

There are a couple easy ways to take them out...

1) As soon as you get into the mall for the first time, head for the gun store in the north plaza and stock up on sniper rifles. Later on, when the Jeep guys appear snipe them from the opposite side of the park. They'll never know you're there smile.

2) Get the Uzi that's on the awning right over where you enter the mall. Use that to kill the driver first and then the gunner. Then, use the big gun to take out the last guy and a bunch of zombies.

Option 1 is much easier then option 2, but you have to go to the store as soon as you're able too (in the first day, before the red eye zombies appear) otherwise you'll run into a very, very, very mean psychopath in the gun store.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: April 12, 2007, 12:26:35 AM »

I was never able to get past the first boss and gave up.  I found the shooting mechanic so clumsy it was impossible to shoot that guy running around in that foodcourt.  Up til then, as short as it was, I was enjoying it.  Shame, as I loooove zombie stuff.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 12, 2007, 05:28:23 AM »

Quote from: mikeg on April 12, 2007, 12:26:35 AM

I was never able to get past the first boss and gave up.  I found the shooting mechanic so clumsy it was impossible to shoot that guy running around in that foodcourt.  Up til then, as short as it was, I was enjoying it.  Shame, as I loooove zombie stuff.

Spoiler for Hiden:
there is an Uzi or something similar on one of the arches to where you go sit down to eat your food in the same rrom as that boss....i found it a bit easier with that weapon....i climbed up to him as well,and he was just a little behind the post up there and i could hit him but he couldnt hit me,also he was concentrating on the other guy looking the other way.......and dont forget to get plenty of food from the foodcourt counters,and keep going back when you get hit a few times

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 12, 2007, 12:21:27 PM »

Quote from: Clay on April 11, 2007, 07:39:15 PM

This is a hard game!  How in the world are you supposed to do all of the side quests and rescue all of the survivors?  How in the world do you kill the psychopaths in the park?  They get me every time.  I'm afraid of going out at night.  Any weapon recommendations?  I like the fast ones, like the hunting knife: they're not good for killing zombies but great for escaping from them. 

Well it's easy to answer these questions, but do you want to explore and come up with stuff on your own or be told?  Click spoilers only if you don't savor exploration and discovery.

I used the hunting knives primarily for my first go through the game.  I had a book that increased their durability

Spoiler for Hiden:
The second and 3rd time through I used the mini-chainsaws from the clown psycho  They are the best weapon in the game. And sort of make it far too easy in retrospect.

Jeep Psychos: Hellya! They are tough the first go through.  I took them out with the uzi which is somewhere in the mall.  Or you can raid the gunshop and get guns there.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The Uzi is in the fountain in Al fresca plaza

All the sidequests: Part of the fun is that you can't rescue them all the first go through. You have to make choices about who lives and dies and what missions you accomplish.  It definitely ratchets up the tension imo.

As for the Japanese tourists.  If only there was someway to learn basic Japanese...
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 12, 2007, 01:38:39 PM »

I found an Uzi, but it was somewhere else.

Spoiler for Hiden:
After coming out of the warehouse, take a right.  At the first staircase, go up the the landing (where there is usually a collection of zombies) - not to the second floor.  Turn around and look to the left for a blue ledge.  Jump up there and walk along it and there is some orange juice, a teddy bear and an uzi.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 12, 2007, 02:20:03 PM »

i got the samurai sword which was pretty cool....slice,slice,slice icon_lol

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 12, 2007, 10:52:11 PM »

I still hate you all for being able to play this. crybaby

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 12, 2007, 10:52:38 PM »

I love Dead Rising. One of my favorite 360 games. icon_biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 13, 2007, 01:21:49 AM »

Quote from: Farscry on April 12, 2007, 10:52:38 PM

same here...I can't wait for DR2.  as long as they make the save system slightly more forgiving (I didn't have a problem with it really, but it was a little annoying sometimes) and tweak a couple other small game design things, it could be one of the greatest games evar!
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 13, 2007, 12:17:30 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on April 13, 2007, 01:21:49 AM

same here...I can't wait for DR2.  as long as they make the save system slightly more forgiving (I didn't have a problem with it really, but it was a little annoying sometimes) and tweak a couple other small game design things, it could be one of the greatest games evar!

If they put out DR2 and the stickerprice was 100.00 I'd buy it. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 13, 2007, 02:56:44 PM »

Quote from: ATB on April 13, 2007, 12:17:30 PM

Quote from: KePoW on April 13, 2007, 01:21:49 AM

If they put out DR2 and the stickerprice was 100.00 I'd buy it. 

shhhhh icon_wink

they might hear you Tongue

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 15, 2007, 07:14:32 AM »

Quote from: mikeg on April 12, 2007, 12:26:35 AM

LOL,i just started the game again today

when you first go out into the mall,go upstairs to where kent the photographer is(coffee restaraunt)..jump out of the window(or balcony whatever) onto the orange canopy,and there is the samaurai sword.......now,when you are fighting the first boss,as soon as the first cutscene is over and you have to make your way to the welcome sign,get behind it all...the first boss should still be above you and concentrating his fire on brad,there are some crates,that you can climb so you can be on the same level as him(still behind him),quickly run over to him before he concentrates his fire on you,and with the samurai sword...press X like crazy and slice away......within 10 seconds of me starting on him he was 'killed'....i laughed a lot when that happened

loving the game all over again

Clay

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 15, 2007, 01:48:09 PM »

I didn't have too much of a problem shooting him... but MAN ALIVE - the second time he comes around (with the sniper rifle) is tough!  I almost threw my controller out the window.  But then, I lured him into a small store where he didn't have enough room to shoot and pounded him with a sledgehammer.  So satisfying. 

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 15, 2007, 04:30:54 PM »

Quote from: Clay on April 15, 2007, 01:48:09 PM

I didn't have too much of a problem shooting him... but MAN ALIVE - the second time he comes around (with the sniper rifle) is tough!  I almost threw my controller out the window.  But then, I lured him into a small store where he didn't have enough room to shoot and pounded him with a sledgehammer.  So satisfying. 

i hid behind one of the pillars,and he just danced about,when he came out i kept shooting him in the head...brad also shot him a few times that helped a lot...steven in the supermarket was again easy(if you have that samurai)...but then i screwed up and took my time and missed all the rest of the casebook chapters,so i am gonna start it all again

Clay

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: April 15, 2007, 10:22:02 PM »

You know, that is exactly what happened to me at exactly the same point.  I'm happy to start again, though.  I'll have to look for the samurai sword - it sounds good.  The sledge hammer is good, but slow.  By the way, the creepy guy in the hardware shop doesn't seem too bad, though I fled the scene to try to finish the case mission.  Having a skateboard is essential for getting everything done, me thinks.

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: April 15, 2007, 10:36:20 PM »

Ok, you talked me into trying the game again.  If I can find it cheap somewhere someday I will grab it. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 15, 2007, 10:51:11 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on April 15, 2007, 10:36:20 PM

Ok, you talked me into trying the game again.  If I can find it cheap somewhere someday I will grab it. 

I'm waiting for the Platinum Hits edition myself since I haven't seen it for under 40 used anywhere yet.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 15, 2007, 11:13:41 PM »

i think the platinum is due in the next few months

WEAPON LOCATIONS:

Locate Katana:(OKAY,so its called a Katana,i just say samurai,lol)
Go up to the second floor, then go to Columbian Roastmasters. Go to the where the cash machine is located them jump out onto the roof/ledge below. Land on the orange overhang. The katana will be there.

Locate Sub-machine Gun:
Jump from the stairs closest to you when you start to the blue ledge above Kid's Choice Clothing. Keep following the walkway past the stuffed bear all the way to the end to find it.

Locate Uzi:
In the Food Court, go to the sign with the Italian chef. Climb to its left side. At the top is an Uzi.

Locate Shotgun:
Get to the Entrance Plaza for the first time when man tells you to look for barricades. Notice that one of the men talking near the entrance has a shotgun. When the zombies attack, run up to his body. Pick up the shotgun.

Locate Small Chainsaws:
After killing Adam the clown by the roller coaster in Wonderland Plaza, he will drop a chainsaw. Pick it up before you activate the control to stop the ride. After the intermission sequence, another chainsaw will spawn at the location. Pick it up. Get the Criminal book from the back of the bookstore where you find the Japanese tourists, and the Engineering and Entertainment books from the Book Store accros from the toy store and CD store in Paradise Plaza. These will give you three duration enhancers for the small chainsaws that you received from the clown. That will make these powerful weapons last for a very long time.

http://www.pro-g.co.uk/xbox360/dead_rising/cheats.html

i just beat cleatus in the gun shop,he was hard as hell...so i could get the shotguns for the boss on the bike,but while fighting the boss,i went in the supermarket,thinking i could get some food while i fight,and it ended all the casefiles

anyway,level 25,gonna start yet again(3rd time this weekend,LOL)

Clay

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 16, 2007, 01:47:01 AM »

The convicts in the Jeep...  they are the death of me every time I see them.  My best strategy for them so far is to find a hapless survivor, have that person follow me into the park and then to run like hell away from them.  Is there any easy way to take them out without just being a good shot with a gun?

Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: April 16, 2007, 02:02:26 AM »

Quote from: Clay on April 16, 2007, 01:47:01 AM

The convicts in the Jeep...  they are the death of me every time I see them.  My best strategy for them so far is to find a hapless survivor, have that person follow me into the park and then to run like hell away from them.  Is there any easy way to take them out without just being a good shot with a gun?

Have them chase you and crash into a static object like a tree or wall.  Then run behind them (the machinegunner guy) and chop the ever-living hell out of him.  Repeat for the other 2.

The chainsaw works really, really well for this.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: April 16, 2007, 12:18:38 PM »

Quote from: Clay on April 11, 2007, 07:40:05 PM

One more thing - are the judo kicks and stuff taught in game or do you have to look them up on gamefaqs or something?  The only one that I have figured out is how to jump and kick a zombie (or that photographer) in the head.

It's been a while since I played, but you can look all of the moves up in game in one of the info menus.  Unfortunately, I can't be specific, but I know the information is there.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 16, 2007, 12:51:40 PM »

Quote from: Clay on April 16, 2007, 01:47:01 AM

yeah i killed them with the shotgun and sniper rifle...but later on they are back there,so its only good if you want the PP points or you are going to get into the jeep after killing them to get the achievement,now i just stay to the sides of the park so that they dont see me

and yeah the list of moves are in the menus....i only use the jump and kick,there is one that if you are pressing up on the left analogue and press A while behind a zombie you get up and stand on the zombies shoulders

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 16, 2007, 01:16:53 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on April 16, 2007, 12:51:40 PM

i only use the jump and kick,there is one that if you are pressing up on the left analogue and press A while behind a zombie you get up and stand on the zombies shoulders

I didn't do much with the physical attacks either.  After I got further on, there are some really neat gory goofy ones though.

But let me warn you. Get good at a few of them as you WILL need them later on. 
Clay

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: April 16, 2007, 02:13:37 PM »

I tried to rescue the mother who is trapped in the Al Fresco jewelry shop - without a crowd-clearing move, I don't see how it's possible.  I guess if I had a few queen bees it would work.

Fun game.  I thought that it would annoy me to have to start over again, but it's fun. 

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: