http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 02:51:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dead Rising impressions!  (Read 28837 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 25, 2006, 08:15:00 PM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on August 25, 2006, 07:49:26 PM

This would be cool, but name a game it wouldn't be cool in.  I'm not sure it's possible without flirting very close to featurecreep.

Actually that's quite hard in most conventional game designs- they used to do stuff like that in games like the early Wing Commanders where you could fail a mission but still continue the game but the problem was that most people perceive there being one "right" path for a playthrough so people were still reloading old saves and redoing the missions instead of sucking it up and moving on.  However when you have an entire game design built around the concept (short playthrough, new game+ mechanics, etc) then it's much easier to get someone to stick with the decisions.  So Dead Rising would be the perfect candidate for such a mechanic. 

Quote from: LE
It's an artifical resource, though, because you'd just make two saves at this fork, one for path A and one for path B.  Sure, you could exercise willpower and not do that, but then you could exercise willpower and snap your Dead Rising DVD in half when you died too.  Players who want to know the story will play in the manner which is most efficient to doing that, and when you have multiple saves, that means exploiting multiple saves.

Again, not really. It's not a matter of replaying a save and seeing the cutscene you missed if the actual outcome is altered since you would have to stick with that save all the way through the end.  So if it forks once, then, yeah, you only need two saves to see everything.  But add a couple of more forks and it becomes unwieldy to try and keep track of such a path in such a modular way. 

To be clear, I'm saying that you stick with one save under this system because it's easier to justify because it increases the incentive for replay which is why Dragon Quarter gets fewer complaints for this mechanic.  I'd be more excited about replaying DR if I knew that I would be seeing different areas, different bosses, different story aspects, etc on each playthrough. 

And DR does generally take multiple playthroughs to get the whole picture.  Additionally, you can only get the "True" ending by completing Day 4, which is a locked mode to begin with.

That's not really the same though- that's more akin to having to play through Eternal Darkness three times to see the true ending.  With DR if you stick to the story path then it's the same story ever time.  Or you can opt to skip the story and just rescue people and get pretty much zero story. 

While we can't know for sure, I think it's silly to say the save design and restart with levels were late game decisions when the evidence is entirely to the contrary:

Nah, because you are really referring to the real time aspect of the game which I agree was almost certainly decided from the start and isnt' really what I have an issue with.  To me it seems like they got to the balancing stage and decided to implement the New Game+ as a stopgap solution to getting hosed by the clock but didn't have time to really exploit the concept to it's full potential.  So I don't see it as an evolution of Dragon Quarter but moreso a paring down of those concepts.  I certainly don't think that Dead Rising is a *better*  implementation of Dragon Quarter which would be the case if it was a true refinement of those principles. 
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 25, 2006, 08:32:39 PM »

Slap somebody like Romero in the creative driver's seat of this game and I'd have no complaints. I don't remember anything remotely resembling this bevy of psychopaths in Dawn of the Dead.
Warning, Dawn of the Dead Spoilers.
Spoiler for Hiden:
You must have forgotten the SWAT team at the beginning, the wild pack of bikers, the residents of the apartment building the SWAT team invades, and the way Peter decides to stay behind, or the way the survivors begin to fight with each other.
The remake had the assorted psychos as well. Zombie babie anyone?

PSN ID: EduardoX
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: August 25, 2006, 08:45:21 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 25, 2006, 08:15:00 PM

[...] So Dead Rising would be the perfect candidate for such a mechanic.
I agree.  To paraphrase the Bethesda boards, "maybe in DR2."

To be clear, I'm saying that you stick with one save under this system...
Yeah, absolutely.  I thought you were talking about still having multiple saves at this point, which seemed counter-intuitive.

That's not really the same though- that's more akin to having to play through Eternal Darkness three times to see the true ending.  With DR if you stick to the story path then it's the same story ever time.  Or you can opt to skip the story and just rescue people and get pretty much zero story.
Hmm... well, there are, what, seven or eight endings in DR?  I guess it depends on what your definiton of 'complete' is.  Dragon Quest just clarified things in the replays, which was kind of stupid imo, since you had to replay the game to get a coherent story, let alone a 'complete' one.  I think as we've seen from DQ to DR, tying the story to replays is a delicate thing which can tip too easily to one side or the other (too much in DQ's case, imo, and too little in DR's case, in your opinion).

Nah, because you are really referring to the real time aspect of the game which I agree was almost certainly decided from the start and isnt' really what I have an issue with.  To me it seems like they got to the balancing stage and decided to implement the New Game+ as a stopgap solution to getting hosed by the clock but didn't have time to really exploit the concept to it's full potential.
Oh yeah, the restart system has a good chance of being tack-on, because there is absolutely no explanation of it, not even the vague "Dragon Rating" or whatever in Dragon Quarter.

I'd still say the save system was there from the start.

So I don't see it as an evolution of Dragon Quarter but moreso a paring down of those concepts.  I certainly don't think that Dead Rising is a *better*  implementation of Dragon Quarter which would be the case if it was a true refinement of those principles.
But is it really paring down, or is that just the genre jump?  In my opinion, the real-time clock is part of the Dragon Quarter evolution -- sure, DQ had the D-Counter, but from the narrative, it always seemed to want to have a clock too (since Nina is supposed to be suffocating underground).

Maybe the D-Counter would make more sense in Dead Rising, and the clock more in Dragon Quarter?  For example, in DR you're exposed to more and more of whatever turned the people into zombies, but other than that, nothing's really timed, it's just if you can manage to find the source, and thus a cure, before you go undead too.  And in DQ, if Nina's not out in, say, 20 real-time hours, she suffocates and the main quest is botched.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 25, 2006, 09:07:45 PM »

Well, I caved and bought this game last night.  I wasnt impressed by the demo, but the full game is turning out to be MUCH funner.  However, this is a hella difficult game.  I like how you have to pick and choose what cases to do and who to rescue.  And yeah, the darn survivors are dumb as rocks.  Cant wait to play some more tonight!

rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 25, 2006, 09:20:44 PM »

Quote from: Lord Ebonstone
Then say you think they botched it.  It makes much more sense if you say "I think they botched the whole psychopath angle and wish they'd scrapped it for more undead stuff."

You confuse me. That's been my point all along, and I think I've been pretty clear on it.

That way I could say "Go play Resident Evil or Alone in the Dark" and we could agree to disagree.

If you're talking plot, maybe, but I vastly prefer this GTA-style action gameplay over survival horror mechanics. I want the best of all worlds with gameplay, story, and tone.

You lost me with your Lord of the Rings analogy...

To me, it sounded like you came into a, say, Lord of the Rings movie discussion and said "Lord of the Rings was enjoyable, I just wish they hadn't put all that emphasis on the ring and all, and had made more war scenes instead."

Actually, I think I said just the opposite. I want more zombie in my zombie game.

Quote from: Eduardo X
You must have forgotten the SWAT team at the beginning, the wild pack of bikers, the residents of the apartment building the SWAT team invades, and the way Peter decides to stay behind, or the way the survivors begin to fight with each other.
The remake had the assorted psychos as well. Zombie babie anyone?

Well, the zombie baby supports my point because it's undead. And the humans you describe in Dawn of the Dead were *nothing* like this game's absurdly over-the-top psychopaths.

Look, I'm not saying I want just zombies zombies and more zombies. Conflict among the survivors and humans driven crazy and brother turning against brother is (potentially) great stuff. But the balance and the focus here strikes me as way off.

I wouldn't even have that much of a problem doing numerous psychopath missions if the psychopaths themselves were toned down and made more plausible. Like if the supermarket guy simply was insane enough to mistake you for another zombie and used his crazy weapon cart to try to mow you down. That'd be cool. Instead he goes on and on about vandalism in his store? Whatever. The game's psychos are silly, slobbering behemoths. "Clean up in Aisle 4! AGH!!" Gimme a break. And hunky Carlito and sexy Isabella? WTF? Is this a Spanish soap opera?

Ultimately I just want this game to be much better written than it is. Game writing is just godawful compared to any other medium. The gap between this game and, for example, the Dawn of the Dead remake is like a vast, yawning chasm.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 09:23:40 PM by rrmorton » Logged
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 25, 2006, 09:47:13 PM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on August 25, 2006, 07:49:26 PM

Or if you are late and miss an event, you can still participate but now the outcome is altered too.
This would be cool, but name a game it wouldn't be cool in.  I'm not sure it's possible without flirting very close to featurecreep.

Agreed.  I realize what they were shooting for with the "time as a resource", and I think it's a great idea.  My complaint is that the player is screwed if you make one mistake along the way and have to start all over again (assuming you're going for the Cases naturally).  I'm not implying the current system isn't broken rather that it's unncessarily frustrating as hell in the beginning.  If there was an alternative such as a branching story then I really don't think I'd have a problem with the one save slot.  In fact I would very much like to see something like that in a sequel but, as you stated, it's probably a pipe dream.

How about alternative modes then?  Carebear mode with 2 or 3 saves and Hardkore mode with only 1 save?  Different characters, leaderboards, etc.  I really don't think that would throw the game off to at least offer the option, no?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: August 26, 2006, 01:10:22 AM »

Quote from: rrmorton on August 25, 2006, 09:20:44 PM

Look, I'm not saying I want just zombies zombies and more zombies. Conflict among the survivors and humans driven crazy and brother turning against brother is (potentially) great stuff. But the balance and the focus here strikes me as way off.

I wouldn't even have that much of a problem doing numerous psychopath missions if the psychopaths themselves were toned down and made more plausible. Like if the supermarket guy simply was insane enough to mistake you for another zombie and used his crazy weapon cart to try to mow you down. That'd be cool. Instead he goes on and on about vandalism in his store? Whatever. The game's psychos are silly, slobbering behemoths. "Clean up in Aisle 4! AGH!!" Gimme a break. And hunky Carlito and sexy Isabella? WTF? Is this a Spanish soap opera?

Ultimately I just want this game to be much better written than it is. Game writing is just godawful compared to any other medium. The gap between this game and, for example, the Dawn of the Dead remake is like a vast, yawning chasm.

Chalk me up as someone who was really turned off by how silly the psychopaths were in this game.  Yes, people will crack in such situations, but these psychopaths were cartoonish caricatures of the truly horrifying reality of what happens when real people crack under pressure.  I would have liked Dead Rising with a lot more serious tone, I think they tried too hard to put the Grand Theft Auto mentality into the game and the whole thing suffered because of it.

As I said before, I'd love to see a game using a wide open locale filled with zombies like this, but set in the resident evil setting with all serious characters and stories.  If there's any game that needs hordes of zombies on screen it's resident evil, all past variations on the game the zombies are just 3-4 scattered in a tight hallway.  With Dead Rising, the most successful thing it does is show how overrun places can get with zombies.

One of my biggest problems with Dead Rising, and this reflects with its overall design too, is that when a zombie grabs you you instantly take damage without an opportunity to shake him off before he hurts you, then if you don't do some arbitrary escape maneuver in time you take more damage.  The whole zombie attack thing just feels arbitrary, as does much of the game and characters.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 26, 2006, 02:44:11 AM »

I just made level 25 and case 7-1. While fighting in the movie theater, I remembered another thing that drives me insane... The flying-through-the-air-in-a-corkscrew animation that happens sometimes when you get hit by the tougher foes. Truly aggravating.

But, to counteract all this bitching I'm doing, let me reiterate one important point... I LOVE DEAD RISING!

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 27, 2006, 10:48:30 PM »

VGcats hates Otis, too.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: August 27, 2006, 11:18:32 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 27, 2006, 10:48:30 PM

First, VG Cats is awful.  Second, you can't fire your gun (or do anything but run) when talking to Otis.  All these shops and there are no hands-free devices available?

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: August 28, 2006, 01:23:51 AM »

Quote from: Jancelot on August 25, 2006, 07:10:17 PM

And once you get the minichainsaws amost all of the psychopath battles come down to the same tactic. 

To me, the mini-chainsaws are so overpowered (and has 3 books to stack durability), and along with the shortcut you get for doing the "optional boss", means that optional boss is an absolute given.

Just having a weapon last as long as those mini-chainsaws with the 3 books alone is almost a need...combine that with the power of the chainsaws...

must have.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 28, 2006, 01:37:20 AM »

Otis was the first to die in infinity mode.  I disembowled him several times.  Very satisfying.
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 28, 2006, 05:00:40 AM »

Well I 'was' having a lot of fun playing this game. Although I haven't had much time to play, I managed to restart twice and am at level 22 which makes it much easier. But I just had to reload because of a ridiculus design decision. It is so bad that I'm not sure I want to continue playing. I want to sit down and write a letter to the developers, publishers and play testers about the worst thing I have ever had to put up with. It is so bad that any time anyone asks what I think of this game, this will be the one thing that I have will have to mention and state that it is so annoying that it ruins the game-play. So what is the problem? If you have a survivor that won't move (i.e. you have to carry them) and you step into one of the low water spots, you just fucked yourself. You can't jump with them, you can't call to them and convince them to get up themselves, you can't do a damn thing about it. WTF!

LiveTAG: happydog
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: August 28, 2006, 12:50:30 PM »

Actually, you can call to them and even the hurt ones will climb up over obstacles, but the AI for this is more braindead than the zombies, so it's often flakey.

One of the first survivors is trapped behind a counter in a jewelry store and she'll climb over that when called.  However, you may still be right in that I haven't seen them actually climb up over low obstacles.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 28, 2006, 03:56:59 PM »

I had a survivor get stuck in the gym in Al Fresca plaza.  The doors don't open for them and he would't go through a busted window.  Wasted 15 real minutes getting him out.  That's like 3 hours in the game.  I have survivors get hung on up a particular potted plant regularly.  The A.I. is decent but not great.

I was messing around with Infinity mode and thinking about doing a run for the 7 day achievement.  But I calculated that it would take a 14-hour straight marathon.  I'm just not hardcore enough for it.  They should have implemented a "pause save" system.  When you save it boots you out to the menu and when you load it erases the save.

On top of that Infinity mode is pretty boring.  I found a great place to hole up where nothing could get to me and I had plenty of food.  But all you do is just sit there and watch the clock tick.  I could see having to go out for food every 24 hours or so, but that translates to 2 hours of my time.  Hrm.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 28, 2006, 04:20:59 PM »

Quote from: stiffler on August 27, 2006, 11:18:32 PM

Quote from: wonderpug on August 27, 2006, 10:48:30 PM

First, VG Cats is awful.  Second, you can't fire your gun (or do anything but run) when talking to Otis.  All these shops and there are no hands-free devices available?

Have the developers never heard of Blue Tooth? For DR2 - you go through the exact same troubles with your point of contact be it Otis or whomever, but there's a wireless cell phone store somewhere in the mall (or town or where ever it's set). You can go in and upgrade your radio/phone/whatever to an earpiece that lets you click on, say, the white button on your controller and you can talk back and forth while running and gunning zombies. Now, how hard would that have been to implement in DR1?  icon_cool

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: August 28, 2006, 07:00:24 PM »

I agree that the "quality" of the Psychopaths varies immensely.  Adam, (the clown), for instance, I could believe and buy into.  While there is no explanation (that I've found) behind the cultists or who their leader was, I felt I could buy into the leader's character too.

Now, grocery store guy, not so much -- even if it was 'supposed' to be funny, I didn't really want funny.  The Vietnam vet in the housing supply store was a little Metal-Gear/over-the-top for me too.

The family of snipers was pretty believable, I was surprised the fat kid who was reluctant to shoot didn't surrender after I slaughtered his father and brother in front of him with a katana and battle axe.  Also, I got some perverse joy out of hearing the kids scream "Daddy!" as I cut down their father in front of them.  It was creepy and horrific and oh so satisfying all at the same time.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: August 28, 2006, 11:03:52 PM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on August 28, 2006, 07:00:24 PM

Also, I got some perverse joy out of hearing the kids scream "Daddy!" as I cut down their father in front of them.  It was creepy and horrific and oh so satisfying all at the same time.

GOTY! icon_twisted

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 28, 2006, 11:17:48 PM »

It's moments like that which tempt me to drive to the store RIGHT THIS INSTANT to buy a 360 and DR.  icon_lol

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: August 29, 2006, 12:39:59 AM »

Those moments are few and far between.  The game doesn't have much of those moments actually, instead they play up campy, morbid, or just crass humor along the lines of GTA.
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 29, 2006, 12:58:26 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 29, 2006, 12:39:59 AM

Those moments are few and far between.  The game doesn't have much of those moments actually, instead they play up campy, morbid, or just crass humor along the lines of GTA.

I couldn't disagree more. The game is filled with fantastic "moments".

In response to Happydog's post, if the low water spot is next to a store just break the glass and go in. Call the survivor and he'll follow you in almost every time.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: August 29, 2006, 02:02:33 AM »

I had the problem with the guy getting stuck in the gym.  I think I had to basically beat his ass out the door.  Protip: don't do this with a sledgehammer to the head.

It was a big blubbering baby anyway, and all he did was get another follower killed.  I rescued him from the barricade next to the hardware store, across from the jewelry shop.  Is there a way to talk sense into his partner?  I always have to kill him since he attacks me on sight.  Then his useless buddy will join me.  That guy caused me so much trouble I am happy to let him rot in his self-made cage.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: August 29, 2006, 02:16:19 AM »

Quote from: stiffler on August 29, 2006, 02:02:33 AM

Is there a way to talk sense into his partner?  I always have to kill him since he attacks me on sight.  Then his useless buddy will join me.  That guy caused me so much trouble I am happy to let him rot in his self-made cage.

Try a few punches... the chainsaw is not a good way to recruit. slywink

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Eightball

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 29, 2006, 02:48:58 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on August 29, 2006, 02:16:19 AM

Is there a way to talk sense into his partner?  I always have to kill him since he attacks me on sight.  Then his useless buddy will join me.  That guy caused me so much trouble I am happy to let him rot in his self-made cage.

Lol one time I was trying to save a guy, and I wanted to give him the shotgun, but I hit the wrong button.  One blast took out the survivor....
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: August 29, 2006, 02:57:24 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 29, 2006, 12:39:59 AM

That's a wad of crap.  I've had more "whoa!" moments, and a wider variety of those moments, in Dead Rising than in any other game ever.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: August 29, 2006, 03:03:30 PM »

Quote from: Eightball on August 29, 2006, 02:48:58 PM

Quote from: coopasonic on August 29, 2006, 02:16:19 AM

Lol one time I was trying to save a guy, and I wanted to give him the shotgun, but I hit the wrong button.  One blast took out the survivor....

There's something therapeutic about killing "survivors".

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 07, 2006, 06:34:33 PM »

I just finished the game on my quest to get the "Saint," "Sharp Dresser," "Clothes Horse," and "Gourmet" achievements.  Here are the end stats:

PP Earned: 3,496,233
Game Clear: Ending B -- Bonus 50,000
Zombie Kill Count: 3,767 -- Bonus 15,000
Survivors: 53 -- Bonus 100,000
Photo Score: 84,433 PP -- Bonus 40,000

Current PP: 3,701,233
Total PP: 9,985,123

I'm still missing "Transmissionary", "7 Day Survivor", "5 Day Survivor", "PP Collector", and "Frank the Pimp", but I've gotten the other 45 achievements.

Is there some reason the Achievement points don't increase to reflect the higher difficulty of some of the challenges?  Why should "Outdoorsman" (which basically requires you to stand on the helipad and put the controller down for two hours) and "7 Day Survivor" (which requires a minimum 14-hour non-stop marathon) be worth 20 points each??

-Autistic Angel
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: September 07, 2006, 08:16:46 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on September 07, 2006, 06:34:33 PM

Is there some reason the Achievement points don't increase to reflect the higher difficulty of some of the challenges?  Why should "Outdoorsman" (which basically requires you to stand on the helipad and put the controller down for two hours) and "7 Day Survivor" (which requires a minimum 14-hour non-stop marathon) be worth 20 points each??

-Autistic Angel

Because 50 20 point achievements was easier to manage?

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: September 11, 2006, 04:18:11 PM »

...so...pissed...off....

icon_evil icon_evil icon_evil icon_evil icon_evil icon_evil

Here's a friendly warning to anyone considering making a run in Dead Rising's "Infinite Mode" to see how long they can survive.

Last night, I completed my marathon run of 11 days, 1 hour, and 48 minutes.  According to the global rankings in Dead Rising that should have been enough to place me at about #25 in the entire world...except that my score does not appear in the global rankings.  Why is that, you ask?  Well, since the only way any normal human being can sustain a marathon of nearly 22 gaming hours, I had to leave the game paused while I went off and did normal stuff like eat, drink, and interact with other human beings.

As some point during the marathon, my 360 auto-disconnected from X-Box Live! and never mentioned it or gave me any notice that I should sign back in.  The result is that when my character finally died of starvation, the system was not online and could not upload my score to the server.  Three days of hunting for food and waiting out the clock, and I don't even get the satisfaction of pointing to my place on the scoreboard at bragging, "Ha ha: I'm a big enough loser to spend three days hunting for food and waiting out the clock!" mad

If you play Infinite Mode in Dead Rising, please be sure to CHECK YOUR CONNNECTION STATUS BEFORE YOU DIE.  Thank you.

-Autistic Angel

**The preceeding has been a public service announcement from the Foundation for Not Smashing Your X-Box 360 on the Driveway.**
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 24, 2006, 03:53:05 AM »

Sooooooooo- I made it through the first day tonight.

MUCH MUCH MUCH reloading of the single save and replaying through spots.

The psychopaths in the jeep barought about near controller breaking fury.

I nearly made a mistake that nearly cost me this game, as I probably would have turned it off and traded it in.

I was really coming up against the time limit on the first day's case. I had parts 3 and 4 or 4 and 5, whatever left, with very little time as I had to save the two japanese tourists...

So I get them safely back after killing the jeep psychos TWICE arghhhhhhhh.

Then I raced back to get to next case part only to finally understand how it all ties together.

After the 2nd to last component closed, I had less than an hour of game time to make it back to the safe room to complete the case.

I RACED as fast as I could and made it.  It was so tight though, that the start of the 2nd case cut scene happened immediately after the cut scene to end the first.  I would have lost it had I not made it. Absolutely lost it.

I enjoyment of this game is severely tempered by the frustrating elements...so it's a B rated game at this point.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: October 24, 2006, 03:56:57 AM »

It's going to be an extremely frustrating game if you insist on saving too many people. Given the skill level you start at, something has to give, you just aren't good enough to handle it all. Just making it to the end without restarting is a major accomplishment. Getting a good ending without restarting is an even bigger one. slywink

Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 24, 2006, 04:26:02 AM »

heres what i did - DONT reload saves on that first day! die a few times, ruin a few cases, and then just restart - its a lot easier to do during the first day, you can buzz through them pretty quickly when you go back, and youll have a much more powerful character.  DONT reload the first day, just replay from the start
Goonch
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 24, 2006, 12:27:59 PM »

The main objectives to be accomplished, if you want a good ending, are the case files. Everything else is just "frosting on the cake". 

There is no way in hell that you can finish all the case files on time and complete all the scoops.

I completed the game this past Saturday, I never restarted, and I received the "A" ending. I concentrated on the cases, that was my #1 priority. Whenever I had ample time, I squeezed in an escort mission or completed some scoop.

For me, the game saver were the chain saws you get after battling the psycho clown by the plane ride in Wonderland Plaza.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 12:30:24 PM by Goonch » Logged
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 24, 2006, 01:47:58 PM »

After you finish the game can you go back through from the beginning and try to rescue people?
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: October 24, 2006, 01:53:12 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 24, 2006, 01:47:58 PM

After you finish the game can you go back through from the beginning and try to rescue people?

Yes, though if you skip the storyline stuff there are some you won't be able to rescue.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 24, 2006, 02:00:58 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on October 24, 2006, 04:26:02 AM

heres what i did - DONT reload saves on that first day! die a few times, ruin a few cases, and then just restart - its a lot easier to do during the first day, you can buzz through them pretty quickly when you go back, and youll have a much more powerful character.  DONT reload the first day, just replay from the start

What level were you when you finally started the playthrough?

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 24, 2006, 02:32:26 PM »

I recommend just playing without regard for the story (or if you die) with the intention of getting to level 10 or so.  Then restart for your serious run on the main story.  It's actually how the game was designed to be played.  It's frustrating but Frank is just too weak at the start of the game.

I managed to rescue 22 people on my main run.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 24, 2006, 03:13:27 PM »

Ok, great.  I'm at 12. 

However, I tried to rescue the two barricaded guys and the lady in the jewelry store, but that's a pain in the ass because you've gotta carry her.  And to get to the rescue spot, you have to go through the park with the psychos.  AND I think there's another rescue there.

I may have said this before, but I hate this game because I'm someone who wants to do everything a game has to offer, but I'm also someone who only likes to play through once.  As has been said, there is NO WAY to rescue everyone.  That also kicks my moral meter in the groin.

None the less, I keep coming back to it.

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 24, 2006, 07:03:56 PM »

I know this has been mentioned before but I'll list some items again for those just coming to the thread:

• You can give weapons to some and food to all of your followers.
  • Make sure you do the Wonderland Plaza mission when it comes up.  You get the best weapon in the game (mini chainsaw) and open up the shortcut.
  • When you get the mini chainsaw be sure to have all 3 boosting books (er, criminal, engineering, ???).  Welcome to Easy Mode.
  • Use doorways for cover when using guns to fight boss battles.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 24, 2006, 07:42:36 PM »

Does the shortcut become available on restart?  Also, do you get access to the mini chainsaws on restart?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: