http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 03:11:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dead or Alive and Mortal Combat questions  (Read 978 times)
Xmann
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Ironman in training

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2005, 04:15:15 AM »

So i'm renting several types of games and giving 'em all a try to find some that i really like.  Tonight i picked up DOA Ultimate and i have a few questions hopefully someone here can help me out with.
I'm really liking the game thus far, but the success i have had thus far against the computer has been purely random luck.  I pretty much just push the punch and kick buttons and somehow get some occasional combos off.  I was doing ok till i hit an opponent in the story who i'm assuming is sorta a Boss and he kills me everytime without a challenge.  So my question for those with experience is how complex is it to learn some moves and combos and get decent with the game?  I realize it takes practice but if it means learning a 10 key sequence then i think i'm over my head.  If it's fairly reasonable with some practice, i could really get interested.  If so, are there some online guides or a hard copy guide thats worth buying?  Also, whats the longevity with only playing against the computer?
Now as far as Mortal Combat is concerned............how is it compared to DOA Ultimate?  I'm planning on renting it next but if i decided to buy one i would look for the better of the two.  I remember Mortal Combat back in the arcade days and enjoyed it a bit.  From what i gather MC Deception is decent.  So is it similar to DOA in learning curve or better or worse?
I'm really wanting to like these games but i dont want to have to study for hours combos to be successful against tough opponents.
What does anyone think?

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 06:09:27 AM »

I've tried a lot of fighting games, and Mortal Kombat is definitely one of the simplest and easy to get into.  Generally, in the tutorials going over the characters' moves, I can get them to work on the first few tries.  Also, I wouldn't let anyone from Midway see your post - If they catch anyone spelling kombat with a "c", they send out their goon squad to teach them a lesson slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 12:08:54 PM »

heh, sorry Midway.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 01:09:22 PM »

Quote from: "Xmann"
I pretty much just push the punch and kick buttons and somehow get some occasional combos off.  I was doing ok till i hit an opponent in the story who i'm assuming is sorta a Boss and he kills me everytime without a challenge.  So my question for those with experience is how complex is it to learn some moves and combos and get decent with the game?  I realize it takes practice but if it means learning a 10 key sequence then i think i'm over my head.  

K, Xmann, here's what you do.

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Select, Start.

no, wait, that might be wrong.... slywink

Go into the practice mode, and choose a character you want to learn. Once you're in the dummy mode (where you can punch and kick an opponent) hit start, and in the menu there should be a "training" or "practice" option (I don't remember offhand which one it is). Also note that in standard battles you can always pause and see the complete moves list too.

They will take you through EVERY move the character has. Just note that some moves (only 3 or 4 of them) where they indicate a direction, you need to be coming OUT of that direction. (for instance, if it says down, X, X, Y they may want you to crouch FIRST, and then as you let go and are STANDING UP you hit X, X, Y).

Unlike Tekken, the moves in DOA:U aren't like programming a 15 string combo. The longest combo in the game is Ryu Hyubasa's spinning upside-down piledriver move, most of which is full-circle moves (so the string would be up, upright, right, rightdown, down, downleft, left, left up etc etc..)

Each character has a training mode, and some of the training modes may unlock costumes or characters (it's been a while since I played it).

Good Luck  biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 01:29:50 PM »

very cool purge, thanks!  i'm actually enjoying DOA alot.  any opinions on Mortal Kombat?  
which game has more longevity in single player?

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 02:21:31 PM »

I'm not much of a Mortal Kombat guy. I found the style switching to seem a little gimmicky and so I truly never enjoyed it. DOA: U does have legs, even though I traded it in two weeks ago ( as I never play it online anymore).

I'm thinking the MK series may have a longer singleplayer shelf time, however if unlocking costumes is up your alley, I'd suggest DOA. IMHO, it's a better fighting game.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 07:14:26 PM »

MK : Deception has a ton of single-player kontent.  There's the standard arkade mode, a pretty bland story mode that's supposed to take upwards of 20-30 hours, 400 items to unlock, as well as full-fledged minigames Chess Kombat (like chess with fighting MK pieces) and Puzzle Kombat, a Tetris-style game.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 07:53:21 PM »

I guess i just need to go and rent MK and decide of the two which one i prefer.  I'm liking DOA, but i was always a huge MK arcade fan as well.

DonD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 09:29:50 PM »

I found DOA to be the easier game to get into, personally.

MK, especially with it's branch combos (I think that's what they were called -- it's been a while), were much more difficult for me, and ultimately, I got frustrated.

I ended up giving up on MK way before I 'finished' it, out of frustration more than anything.

DOA I kept until I sold my XBox.  For me, it had more legs.

- Don

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005, 09:54:12 PM »

And again, DOA has a decent amount of single player content?  I wont be playing mp at all.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: