http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 02:18:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dead Or Alive 4 - Time to bring it!  (Read 4988 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2005, 07:16:04 PM »

I just picked up Dead or Alive 4 today and plan on playing a lot online this holiday weekend. Anyone up for some DOA 4 action this weekend?

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 07:38:30 PM »

If I get off my lazy ass and buy it, I'm in.  Otherwise look for PGR3 mostly from me.  TehGellar is teh tag.

gellar
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 07:43:23 PM »

If I pick it up tonight I will be good for some matches

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 08:08:12 PM »

Picked my copy up at lunch, should have some time to play this weekend.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 08:11:07 PM »

I'm picking up a copy in about an hour suck at fighting games but bring it on online tagteam should rock.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
soulbringer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 08:16:57 PM »

If im able to pick it up tonight or in the morning I will be on.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 08:58:27 PM »

Just got home with my copy now to get owned by some fine female forms with jigglies.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 09:13:31 PM »

Got it and wow do I suck at it lol.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 09:55:12 PM »

I'm up for some online playing.  Going to take a bit to get used to this version.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2005, 01:29:22 AM »

IF they have it I may be picking up a copy tomorrow.  I was going to grab it today but got sidetracked (and ended up with a ealry b-day gift of PGR3 to try out tonight).

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2005, 01:48:24 AM »

Quote from: "Arkon"

lol

Me too!

I used to think I was pretty good at DOA2 Ultimate...but oh my god, either they upped the difficulty by quite a bit or I am just really out of practice.  smile

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2005, 02:50:19 AM »

You will all fall victim to my Hitomi Hammer!!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2005, 03:47:56 AM »

Quote from: "Hetz"

lol

Me too!

I used to think I was pretty good at DOA2 Ultimate...but oh my god, either they upped the difficulty by quite a bit or I am just really out of practice.  smile

Itagaki decided that he hates us and upped the difficulty quite a bit.  You have to 'earn it' now.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2005, 07:19:31 AM »

You're really out of practice. I completed the story mode for all characters and got up to 28 wins in survival mode and I'm a button masher... and all that is without getting the 5 hours played achievment. Tongue

Time Attack mode, on the other hand, I'm helpless. First four rounds are a breeze, after that I hit a brick wall. frown

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2005, 08:26:24 AM »

I don't know about you all, but I am really impressed with how AWESOME the game looks. The graphics are stunning.

Has anyone figured out the weird game lobby thing when playing over Xbox Live? It's confusing enough to make me have to actually read the manual. smile
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2005, 12:17:16 PM »

Loomi and I messed with it yesterday a bit.  Of course it was his psycho room; all I did was run around with my little ninja and clap at things.

Fun game, even though I have less then a clue, and my 1 victory came by just hitting two buttons over and over again.   :?

I don't think the tag-team works like I had originally thought via Live!  I am extremely disappointed in that, but at least you can still play teams (sort of).

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2005, 04:22:07 PM »

Got the 5 wins in a row online achievement. Everyone in the room I was in was also a button masher. biggrin I just mashed em better.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2005, 04:24:50 PM »

I don't understand how button mashing works in this game.  I am getting fucked up the arse pwned by the cpu.  I have only managed in app. 4 hours of playing to beat story mode with 4 characters.  They counter just about everything I throw at them and I can never counter them.  They get 1 hit in and there goes half my life because they string together 9-10 hits and throw me in to a wall or two.  This game is making me feel like I am playing Ninja Gaiden all over again to where I want to shatter my controller in to a million pieces.
BuckeyeShane
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2005, 04:54:43 PM »

Got it and no surprise I suck also.  Gamertag is Buckeye Shane1
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2005, 05:03:07 PM »

Quote from: "coopasonic"
Got the 5 wins in a row online achievement. Everyone in the room I was in was also a button masher. biggrin I just mashed em better.

Same here. I was 1 win away from the 10 wins achievement....then VegasD had to go and ruin it for me and beat me! DOH! So close...

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2005, 05:05:36 PM »

I don't understand how button mashing works in this game.  I am getting fucked up the arse pwned by the cpu.  I have only managed in app. 4 hours of playing to beat story mode with 4 characters.  They counter just about everything I throw at them and I can never counter them.  They get 1 hit in and there goes half my life because they string together 9-10 hits and throw me in to a wall or two.  This game is making me feel like I am playing Ninja Gaiden all over again to where I want to shatter my controller in to a million pieces.

Yeah, this game is a LOT harder than the other versions of the game. They make you actually work for the unlockables now and they took out the "Easy" mode. Heck even normal is a lot harder than DOA Ultimate's normal level.

I had to check and make sure I didn't set it to "Very Hard" or something by accident the first time I played and got owned on the very first stage! :shock:

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2005, 05:35:57 PM »

I keep a big pillow next to me when I play and punch the shit out of it after every loss... which is really really often.

This game is frustrating.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2005, 05:46:57 PM »

Only the boss-chick really pisses me off, she can take you down 80% juggling you so you have no resposne the whole time. Having to fight her at the end of a time attack is a serious pain for me, bets 2 out 3, against her? you nuts!??

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2005, 06:16:08 PM »

I'm glad someone is finding this game easy.  I'd like to thank Team Ninja for making another hard game where the lowest difficulty, normal, should be relabled "You're farking kidding right?  The CPU is going to wipe the floor with your sorry ass!."

I practiced for a few hours with La Miraposa, and then hit the single player versus mode against the cpu.  Holy crap I got my ass kicked.  The cpu counters like crazy, so any button mashing I tried to do was shoved back in my face.  The only wins I could get seemed to be pure luck, not skill of any sort.

I'm sure there will be a reward payoff like in NG after I started really learning the timing and moves, but damn if it's not frustrating in the process  smile
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2005, 09:23:04 PM »

I think I need to keep a pillow next to me as well at this rate lol.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2005, 09:32:39 PM »

Quote from: "Roguetad"
I'm glad someone is finding this game easy.  I'd like to thank Team Ninja for making another hard game where the lowest difficulty, normal, should be relabled "You're farking kidding right?  The CPU is going to wipe the floor with your sorry ass!."

I practiced for a few hours with La Miraposa, and then hit the single player versus mode against the cpu.  Holy crap I got my ass kicked.  The cpu counters like crazy, so any button mashing I tried to do was shoved back in my face.  The only wins I could get seemed to be pure luck, not skill of any sort.

I'm sure there will be a reward payoff like in NG after I started really learning the timing and moves, but damn if it's not frustrating in the process  smile

You pretty much described why I never have gotten into fighting games.  Difficulty and that they just seem to be button mashing.  I know they aren't when you learn it well, but I do not have the patience to play 20 hours BEFORE I can start enjoying the game.  But I will at least rent it sometime to see what the hubbub is about.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2005, 09:57:48 PM »

I'm glad someone is finding this game easy.

I just want to say, I don't find the game remotely easy. There are certain matchup  and opponents that have me cursing a blue streak, it's just the boss-chick and her 15 hit combos that really piss me off. I've yet to earn a medal in the time attack./ I have the lowest medal in the survival mode, which I think is the most fun part of the game. The rest I just grind through with the unlimited continues to get more costumes to show more jiggly bits and to unlock the characters. One last character to unlock, but it requires beating time attack with everyone, which is going to take some time... but will unlock more costumes, yay boobies!

Now if only there was a mode where I didn't have to play with the men to do all the unlocks...

Loomi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2006, 12:40:10 AM »

Quote from: "coopasonic"
Only the boss-chick really pisses me off, she can take you down 80% juggling you so you have no resposne the whole time. Having to fight her at the end of a time attack is a serious pain for me, bets 2 out 3, against her? you nuts!??

Alpha-152 is extremely irritating.  I thought I read an interview with Itagaki before where he said he realized the mistake in making a boss so cheap(Tengu, DOA2) and now he gives us this?  I don't mind a game being hard, but cheap is very irritating.  That teleporting bullshit she does has to go.

Looks like I need to add a bunch of people to my friend's list.  Looks like enough people here bought the game that we could actually do some tournaments and team matches.

XBL Gamertag: Loomi 360
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2006, 12:43:15 AM »

OMG! :shock:

EMERGENCY is in DOA IV!!! :shock:

After unlocking Helena, you battle Jan Lee in a boxing/wrestling styled ring and the electronic sign going around the arena is scrolling by with:  Station 51 KMG-365!!!

This is no lie!  It is actually there!  Someone at Team Ninja is an Emergency! fan - like me!!!

Honest, I'm telling the truth!  Watch for it!

Cool! biggrin

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2006, 12:51:16 AM »

Yep, it's friggin' hard. I really have to question the psychological make-up of someone who would choose to make a game this cheap and inaccessible to new players. You put thousands of man-hours into making beautiful graphics and graceful combat and then you insist that only the elite need apply to play it. Dumb.

You do realize those are sales down the drain, right? By having the lowest difficulty be, in essence, VERY HARD, you will lose sales!

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2006, 12:59:29 AM »

Shifty - I hope your kidding.

If not, I might be forced to compliment Lockdown...

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2006, 02:20:03 AM »

I managed to complete story modes for La Mariposa, Christy and Jan Lee, and it was a frustrating experience the whole way.  I never had one of those gaming moments where I was like, "wow, this is cool", or "man, what a fun game".  I haven't restarted this many times in a game since...well, Ninja Gaiden.  At least in NG I started to get comfortable with the controls and was able to kick ass after a few days.  In DOA4 you have to be a freaking mind reader to be any good with counters, especially since there's high, mid and low for punches AND kicks.  The problem is that the Normal difficulty AI uses counters like a pro, and is really (imo) way too good.  If you try and counter, the Normal AI will immediately use throws on you without hesitation.  I've been countered by the Normal AI repeatedly on move combinations that most average human foes would never guess right (the moves that alternate kicking and punch strikes high, low, mid, low, high).    

The graphics are superb, but I'm not happy having to fight Super AI right out the gates.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2006, 03:12:00 AM »

I managed to complete story modes for La Mariposa, Christy and Jan Lee, and it was a frustrating experience the whole way.  I never had one of those gaming moments where I was like, "wow, this is cool", or "man, what a fun game".  I haven't restarted this many times in a game since...well, Ninja Gaiden.  At least in NG I started to get comfortable with the controls and was able to kick ass after a few days.  In DOA4 you have to be a freaking mind reader to be any good with counters, especially since there's high, mid and low for punches AND kicks.  The problem is that the Normal difficulty AI uses counters like a pro, and is really (imo) way too good.  If you try and counter, the Normal AI will immediately use throws on you without hesitation.  I've been countered by the Normal AI repeatedly on move combinations that most average human foes would never guess right (the moves that alternate kicking and punch strikes high, low, mid, low, high).    

The graphics are superb, but I'm not happy having to fight Super AI right out the gates.

Yeah, the game can get frustrating....but I am getting better. I've beaten the whole top row of characters on story mode now, after thinking I would never beat any of them.

Anyway, come join us online for a couple matches! I just had a great time with Starshifter (and Starshifter's kids), VegasD and Devil. smile

Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2006, 05:40:40 AM »

Yeah, the game can get frustrating....but I am getting better. I've beaten the whole top row of characters on story mode now, after thinking I would never beat any of them.

Anyway, come join us online for a couple matches! I just had a great time with Starshifter (and Starshifter's kids), VegasD and Devil. smile

I agree completely with Roguetad. The AI on Normal is just ridiculous! Seriously, what would it have hurt the game to have an easier difficulty level? Disable all the achievements, sure! But let me have some kind of reasonable learning curve when getting used to the game. This is just like Ninja Gaiden and don't think for one second they didn't lose a fair chunk of early sales on that one. There were complaints all over the Internet that the game was far too hard and I know people who were on the fence stayed away from that one.

Can anyone link to any interviews or other articles on Team Ninja? I mean -- SERIOUSLY -- what the fuck are they thinking??? Is this pure elitist machismo?? Is it really some sort of power trip these guys are on??

Let's be honest here: They have created a game -- that aside from online play (I'll grant them that) -- is almost completely unplayable for 50% of the people who might be interested in it! Sure some of the hardcore players here and at Gaming Age may be able to make some slow (and frustrating) headway with it, but there is a far-less-vocal majority who will simply give up on the game or NEVER BUY IT after hearing about it or having a bad experience with a rental.

And if you think I'm exaggerating and you're making some headway with the game, tell me this: How many reversals have you made against an AI opponent??? Is it even worth trying, in your opinion?? How viable a strategy is it to block?? Ever??? Does that make this a pure offensive button masher?? (But, HEY, the AI can counter 9 out of 10 offensive moves -- even on "NORMAL" difficulty!!!)

Hetz, I'll ask you this: What advice would you give to the 50% of us who are struggling with this game (or will never buy it because of the bad word of mouth)? What works? There must be some key that is not even hinted at in the (very poor) manual.

I admit I'm mad as hell at this game!!! I just smashed my controller on the ground after once again being comboed endlessly by an opponent! Is there some "magic" approach that I'm missing?????

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2006, 06:16:53 AM »

I'm getting better at the game.  Have made it through with most of the characters in story mode so far.

For the most part I can handle the AI... it is frustrating at times, but other times things come together and it is good.  And then... you fight alpha-152.  The only good thing I can say about her is that at least they didn't decide to screw with your viewpoint this time.

Of course they decide to make her the final part of time attack... and then expect you to get under 4 and a half minutes!?  My friends and I have been playing the various DOA's for years... the fastest any of us have manged is 15 minutes.

It's really amusing (not especially) to look at the time breakdown when you win and see 15 minutes spent fighting alpha.  <sigh>  I can only add my voice to the 'what the hell happened to easy' crowd.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2006, 06:39:41 AM »

Quote from: "Cleric7"

I agree completely with Roguetad. The AI on Normal is just ridiculous! Seriously, what would it have hurt the game to have an easier difficulty level? Disable all the achievements, sure! But let me have some kind of reasonable learning curve when getting used to the game. This is just like Ninja Gaiden and don't think for one second they didn't lose a fair chunk of early sales on that one. There were complaints all over the Internet that the game was far too hard and I know people who were on the fence stayed away from that one.

Can anyone link to any interviews or other articles on Team Ninja? I mean -- SERIOUSLY -- what the fuck are they thinking??? Is this pure elitist machismo?? Is it really some sort of power trip these guys are on??

Let's be honest here: They have created a game -- that aside from online play (I'll grant them that) -- is almost completely unplayable for 50% of the people who might be interested in it! Sure some of the hardcore players here and at Gaming Age may be able to make some slow (and frustrating) headway with it, but there is a far-less-vocal majority who will simply give up on the game or NEVER BUY IT after hearing about it or having a bad experience with a rental.

And if you think I'm exaggerating and you're making some headway with the game, tell me this: How many reversals have you made against an AI opponent??? Is it even worth trying, in your opinion?? How viable a strategy is it to block?? Ever??? Does that make this a pure offensive button masher?? (But, HEY, the AI can counter 9 out of 10 offensive moves -- even on "NORMAL" difficulty!!!)

Hetz, I'll ask you this: What advice would you give to the 50% of us who are struggling with this game (or will never buy it because of the bad word of mouth)? What works? There must be some key that is not even hinted at in the (very poor) manual.

I admit I'm mad as hell at this game!!! I just smashed my controller on the ground after once again being comboed endlessly by an opponent! Is there some "magic" approach that I'm missing?????

Honestly, I don't know what advice I would give you. Just keep playing and you will get better. I did. I just beat the game with all characters and unlocked that Halo character!

Yesterday I was cursing the game for being so hard (and it still is) but I have gotten quite a bit better at the game. I think the best practice is to play online for awhile. That is what I did, then after I played a bunch of other people I went back to story mode and started winning matches with a little more ease.

It still is NOWHERE NEAR easy, but it's more managable. I still do want to throw the controller sometimes though.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2006, 11:42:10 AM »

Yeah, basically.  Team Ninja's lead designer, Itagaki, is pretty much as hardcore as they come when it comes to this stuff and makes no bones about it.  

Thanks for the comments.  I'm not much on fighting games but I was thinking of picking this one up for some pretty button mashing fun but it sounds like I should just save my money.  [/list]
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2006, 02:22:17 PM »

I too was giving this some thought becuz of all the hype but after hearing about this difficulty level, I will most definitely wait til this baby is much much cheaper.  Ninja Gaiden frustrated, and still does, the hell out of me.  I regretted buying it full price, but now you can get it for $20 or less easy and at that price I can live with the frustration a whole lot better.  I will do the same for DOA4 I think.  6 months from now it will be exactly the same game and I will feel soooooo much better having only wasted $20 on it as opposed to $60.

I appreciate you all chiming in.  Like renting, you save me alot of money and irritation.  These 46 year old eyes and fingers of mine just don't react like they did 20 years ago.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2006, 02:36:54 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Yeah, basically.  Team Ninja's lead designer, Itagaki, is pretty much as hardcore as they come when it comes to this stuff and makes no bones about it.  

Thanks for the comments.  I'm not much on fighting games but I was thinking of picking this one up for some pretty button mashing fun but it sounds like I should just save my money.  [/list]

Yeah, this game is much more difficult than DOA Ultimate or DOA 3...but I also feel it is much more rewarding. I blew threw DOA Ultimate on Easy and Normal....but DOA makes you work for it and you really feel you accomplished something when you are able to unlock all the characters. It's like a virtual badge of honor.

Anyway, yeah it sounds like you would be better served with not getting this game. It is loads of fun online though and you can find players of a similar skill level to play against. So, you might want to consider that.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2006, 03:42:54 PM »

Looks like they reset the rankings on DOA 4 Online. I am now down to 10000 for my score and a C. Looks like this happened to everyone.

In brighter news....I got GOLD in the Time Attack! Check my achievements. smile

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: