http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 01:27:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dead Island  (Read 13561 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: September 08, 2011, 07:31:36 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on September 08, 2011, 04:12:09 PM

Quote from: Blackjack on September 08, 2011, 03:36:51 PM

Quote from: Scraper on September 08, 2011, 12:32:27 AM

Quote from: Punisher on September 07, 2011, 11:33:42 PM

Any idea why my game looks like this?
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197961725269/screenshot/558667380708443864?tab=public

I even tried messing with the .scr file...
Are you using an ATI card? It seems like the game doesn't get along well with ATI. If not I would suggest updating your Nvidia drivers.
I guess I'm out then.  crybaby icon_smile
Yeah you will probably be ok, the ATI thing came from the Steam forums and the pre-release code, I think it's been patched to address any ATI specific issues  with the Steam emergency patch.

Somebody answered you before on this - you've turned the Gamma up from default. Turn it back down to the normal 50% slider level and it'll look just fine. Messing with the slider more than the slightest bit (10% or so upwards) turns any dark area into a pixelated mess.

Quote from: CeeKay on September 08, 2011, 06:03:30 PM

Has anyone tried skipping the prologue with a new game?  I'm wondering how it handles all tge loot you can potentially pick up in the hotel, maybe I'll start up a new game tonight to see if it make you lose out on all that.

I tried yesterday (before the patch that I see Steam downloaded today) - while the money isn't much of a loss ($500 or so, not too much), and the items will be replaced (the random crafting parts you might get as drops), the experience hurts. You're auto-granted level 2 it seems once you've done the first quest (go outside and help the one guy by hitting zombies). You don't get that if you skip it.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 07:34:05 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 08, 2011, 07:38:37 PM »

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/k8xll/dead_island_fov_fix/

FOV fix. thank god. every developer setting it under 90 needs to be shot.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: September 08, 2011, 08:25:37 PM »

Oh dear god. The default FOV was 62.5?! That's stupid!
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 08, 2011, 10:23:51 PM »

hey turtle, wanna play co-op tonight? also for a 43" monitor sitting 3 feet away, whats a good FOV?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 08, 2011, 11:06:52 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 08, 2011, 08:25:37 PM

If you watch this, you'll see it's not as stupid as it may at first appear. (though not even having an option to scale is pretty stupid)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blZUao2jTGA&list=FLAqwCYmmc28QiyG1I4OlyWA&index=2

In short if 62.5 bugs you, you're sitting too close Tongue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 08, 2011, 11:39:19 PM »

I hadn't even noticed, butI kinda like the claustrophobic feel it gives for this one.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 08, 2011, 11:44:41 PM »

I like how it makes it possible for them to get you while you loot stuff
frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 09, 2011, 12:18:30 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 08, 2011, 11:39:19 PM

I hadn't even noticed, butI kinda like the claustrophobic feel it gives for this one.

Quote from: Harkonis on September 08, 2011, 11:44:41 PM

I agree.  I find myself many times stopping whatever I'm doing to scroll around to check my surroundings for safety.  Even while I'm mid-fight with another zombie, I'll check my surroundings if I have time, like if I've kicked a zombie over.

For what it's worth, I'm loving this game, and really haven't come across any bugs or any CTD, although I play on a LAN setting because I was experiencing the lag/stutter issue caused by the internet setting. 
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 09, 2011, 12:52:08 AM »

Quote from: frost on September 09, 2011, 12:18:30 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on September 08, 2011, 11:39:19 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on September 08, 2011, 11:44:41 PM

I agree.  I find myself many times stopping whatever I'm doing to scroll around to check my surroundings for safety.  Even while I'm mid-fight with another zombie, I'll check my surroundings if I have time, like if I've kicked a zombie over.

For what it's worth, I'm loving this game, and really haven't come across any bugs or any CTD, although I play on a LAN setting because I was experiencing the lag/stutter issue caused by the internet setting. 

I had the stutter too, but the last patch fixed it and I could turn on internet play. BUT, the servers weren't up at the time and I haven't played it yet today.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 09, 2011, 12:54:06 AM »

Picked this up along with Warhammer 40K for the Pc so I'll be trying to play.  Don't have any steam friends but my account there is Zinfan if you see me around.  I need to see about the initial settings for internet connection, I had random people joining in my game but they were just futzing around, I'd like to see if I can limit who joins but it didn't seem possible in the first game I tried.  Oh and I am having memory problems so my computer will crash randomly at least until my new memory arrives.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 09, 2011, 12:56:21 AM »

Quote from: Zinfan on September 09, 2011, 12:54:06 AM

Picked this up along with Warhammer 40K for the Pc so I'll be trying to play.  Don't have any steam friends but my account there is Zinfan if you see me around.  I need to see about the initial settings for internet connection, I had random people joining in my game but they were just futzing around, I'd like to see if I can limit who joins but it didn't seem possible in the first game I tried.  Oh and I am having memory problems so my computer will crash randomly at least until my new memory arrives.

On consoles there is an option to close your game to people joining. PC must have it.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: September 09, 2011, 01:44:23 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on September 09, 2011, 12:56:21 AM

Picked this up along with Warhammer 40K for the Pc so I'll be trying to play.  Don't have any steam friends but my account there is Zinfan if you see me around.  I need to see about the initial settings for internet connection, I had random people joining in my game but they were just futzing around, I'd like to see if I can limit who joins but it didn't seem possible in the first game I tried.  Oh and I am having memory problems so my computer will crash randomly at least until my new memory arrives.
On consoles there is an option to close your game to people joining. PC must have it.

Yup. At the 'select your save game to play' there's internet options on the bottom. If you don't want anybody at all joining period, and you don't want the stuttering caused by what seems to be shoddy 'net code (you get a minifreeze if somebody in another game comes near you), flip it to LAN play. That'll solve all the problems.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 09, 2011, 03:22:56 AM »

I'm liking the analog controls more. I found out that you can target specific body parts. Basically you have to have the recticle on the body part you want to attack BEFORE you go in to combat mode (left trigger). Then all your swings aim for that body part. I've been crushing heads, chopping off limbs, all sorts of grusome things.

Also found that jump kicking almost always knocks the zombie down. Very helpful when you have to deal with several zombies at once.
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 09, 2011, 04:20:20 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 09, 2011, 01:44:23 AM

Quote from: leo8877 on September 09, 2011, 12:56:21 AM

Yup. At the 'select your save game to play' there's internet options on the bottom. If you don't want anybody at all joining period, and you don't want the stuttering caused by what seems to be shoddy 'net code (you get a minifreeze if somebody in another game comes near you), flip it to LAN play. That'll solve all the problems.

I'll do that next time I start the game up, thanks
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 09, 2011, 04:22:49 AM »

Quote from: Crawley on September 09, 2011, 03:22:56 AM

I'm liking the analog controls more. I found out that you can target specific body parts. Basically you have to have the recticle on the body part you want to attack BEFORE you go in to combat mode (left trigger). Then all your swings aim for that body part. I've been crushing heads, chopping off limbs, all sorts of grusome things.

Also found that jump kicking almost always knocks the zombie down. Very helpful when you have to deal with several zombies at once.

I went right to the analog setting before starting the game for the first time and I'm getting better at it.  It took me awhile to realize the thing about targeting a limb before pressing Left Trigger but once I had that sorted things started to click.  Love trying to break the legs of zombies.  Never thought about the jump kick, I have yet to jump much at all in the game.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: September 09, 2011, 05:13:57 AM »

you can target body parts with the digital swings too. 
frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 09, 2011, 06:23:00 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on September 09, 2011, 05:13:57 AM

you can target body parts with the digital swings too.  

Yep.  Just aim the reticle at the body part you want to hit, wait a sec for it to turn red, and BAM!
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 09, 2011, 07:21:36 AM »

Quote from: Harkonis on September 08, 2011, 11:06:52 PM

If you watch this, you'll see it's not as stupid as it may at first appear. (though not even having an option to scale is pretty stupid)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blZUao2jTGA&list=FLAqwCYmmc28QiyG1I4OlyWA&index=2

if 62.5 doesn't bug you, you are wrong. period.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blZUao2jTGA

not to mention this is a major cause of motion sickness in games. this is pc gaming, not the console peasant gaming. i bet you're ok with the shitty mouse lag  in menus too. this is why companies are allowed to get away with shit. don't fucking promote this like it's ok, it's not.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 09, 2011, 07:25:48 AM »

you just linked to the same video I did, I think you're not really grasping the conversation.

62.5 is fine, you're wrong.  Not having the ability to easily change it for people not playing on a big screen is not fine.  We know you hate consoles, but you don't have to be such a close minded fool in every thread.  I swear you hate every game and every company ever made.  Why do you still try?
Zinfan

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 09, 2011, 08:07:02 AM »

Had my PC crash in the middle of the game and when I restarted I had lost a lot of progress.  Not sure where the save points are but I figured I had gotten far enough to trigger one but I guess not.  I had started with the gun expert but since I had lost so much progress I decided to change to the edge weapon expert and start over.  Not a huge fan of opening all the luggage again but the game is fun to play.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: September 09, 2011, 02:42:49 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on September 09, 2011, 07:25:48 AM

you just linked to the same video I did, I think you're not really grasping the conversation.

62.5 is fine, you're wrong.  Not having the ability to easily change it for people not playing on a big screen is not fine.  We know you hate consoles, but you don't have to be such a close minded fool in every thread.  I swear you hate every game and every company ever made.  Why do you still try?

The whole point of the video is showing that 60 is wrong and too low for PC users, because of where the eye is looking at at that distance.

60 is fine for a TV set because of the distance involved (10ish feet) and the size of the TV set. 60 is not fine for PC users because of the distance involved (2ish feet) and the size of the monitor.

And Zin - the game seems to save after turning in or getting any quest, and maybe upon visiting the 'quest hubs'. And...that's about it.

frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 09, 2011, 04:10:28 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on September 09, 2011, 07:21:36 AM

Quote from: Harkonis on September 08, 2011, 11:06:52 PM

if 62.5 doesn't bug you, you are wrong. period.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blZUao2jTGA

not to mention this is a major cause of motion sickness in games. this is pc gaming, not the console peasant gaming. i bet you're ok with the shitty mouse lag  in menus too. this is why companies are allowed to get away with shit. don't fucking promote this like it's ok, it's not.

If 62.5 is wrong, than I don't want to be right.  

No, I'm joking.  I think it's a preference thing sometimes, and for this game, I'm personally having no problem with 62.5.  There should be an easier way to adjust it, but you shouldn't just tell people flat out that they are wrong on something that's not factual.  
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 09, 2011, 11:36:30 PM »

Loosk like multiplayer is working. But sounds like the mic situation is screwed up where the mic is always on and you can't use 3rd person services. So I'm turning mine off.

Steam profile here if you're interesting in joining a game: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197970559533/
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 10, 2011, 12:01:03 AM »

some of us play on the PC on a 42" tv, which is why I mentioned he shouldn't say it like he did.  Plus he's just rude.

You can tell steam to use a different input so you can still use your mic in other programs.  Tell it CD-in slywink

Or in my case I use a USB headset for vent, and steam is using my audio card mic.
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 10, 2011, 02:16:34 AM »

For some reason my character controls a bit like a hog. Compared with how silky smooth movement is in Space Marine, Dead Island seems a bit "jerky." Is this the same for anyone else, or am I crazy? I'm not saying massive FPS drops or lag, just a general sluggish feel.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: September 10, 2011, 02:35:01 AM »

Quote from: baelthazar on September 10, 2011, 02:16:34 AM

For some reason my character controls a bit like a hog. Compared with how silky smooth movement is in Space Marine, Dead Island seems a bit "jerky." Is this the same for anyone else, or am I crazy? I'm not saying massive FPS drops or lag, just a general sluggish feel.

Well, you start off completely wasted drunk. Could that be it? biggrin

That said, the game goes a bit for the 'realism' factor when it comes to movement. You can't start/stop on a dime for example.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 10, 2011, 05:07:33 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 10, 2011, 02:35:01 AM

Quote from: baelthazar on September 10, 2011, 02:16:34 AM

Well, you start off completely wasted drunk. Could that be it? biggrin

That said, the game goes a bit for the 'realism' factor when it comes to movement. You can't start/stop on a dime for example.

I don't think you play the drink character in the intro. He runs into all 4 characters that are playable during that cut scene.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 11, 2011, 12:05:22 AM »

Is anyone having (or heard of) audio issues with this? I've using Realtek 7.1 on-board audio and have zero issues with a ton of other games I have installed and yet Dead Island is frustrating the crap out of me. I've started the game five times in a row and only one of those five times did I have working audio. All of the other times, the sound was fine during the logo / splash screens and through the intro cut-scene. It's once it hits the menu that it first goes south if it is going to. What I hear is an enormous amount of distortion and screeches, with most of it coming from the right side. I thought at first it was purposeful based on your state but the music stays distorted and the audio is completely unintelligible. If it hadn't worked the one time, I would have thought it was broken but since it did... once... ???.

I looked through the Steam forums and didn't see any related post.  icon_frown

Of course I find the answer after I post this, apparently there are known issues with 5.1 & 7.1 audio in this game, setting my PC back to stereo 'fixed' the issue. Also noticing it doesn't really seem to use my second video card in SLI but I guess that's another known 'issue'. [sigh]
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 12:30:02 AM by MonkeyFinger » Logged

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 13, 2011, 03:16:27 PM »

I have played about 10 hours of co-op with patch 1.2 now and I have to say that the game is really stable after the patch. I've been playing with a friend and we let others pop in and out and I must say that I'm really digging the game. 3 hours of play time can fly. Also chapter 3 was really fun for us. We systematically moved through the hotel room by room, smashing everything we could and kicking zombies along the way. Pure fun.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Vidiot

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 13, 2011, 09:40:51 PM »

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on September 11, 2011, 12:05:22 AM

Is anyone having (or heard of) audio issues with this? I've using Realtek 7.1 on-board audio and have zero issues with a ton of other games I have installed and yet Dead Island is frustrating the crap out of me. I've started the game five times in a row and only one of those five times did I have working audio. All of the other times, the sound was fine during the logo / splash screens and through the intro cut-scene. It's once it hits the menu that it first goes south if it is going to. What I hear is an enormous amount of distortion and screeches, with most of it coming from the right side. I thought at first it was purposeful based on your state but the music stays distorted and the audio is completely unintelligible. If it hadn't worked the one time, I would have thought it was broken but since it did... once... ???.

Of course I find the answer after I post this, apparently there are known issues with 5.1 & 7.1 audio in this game, setting my PC back to stereo 'fixed' the issue. Also noticing it doesn't really seem to use my second video card in SLI but I guess that's another known 'issue'. [sigh]

Do you have some type of USB sound card attached?  I had this same issue with ARMA 2.  In my case it was the mono headset/mic cable that plugged into USB from Astro Mixamp.

If you do unplug it and try again.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 13, 2011, 09:52:45 PM »

Raging hell of a ball of fun, blood, guts, gore and ... fun....

7 hours in, havn't encountered any bugs or frustrations and absolutely loving it.

I knew nothing about this game till 30 mins before i bought it yesterday except for having seen the backwards trailor and steam trailers...so lots of it was a surprise to me, really didn't know what it was gonna be.

Very pleasantly surprised with the open world hack n slash n explore n loot experience:)

Still only on act 1 chapter 2 with 7 hrs in lol, tons of quests to do and fun to be had.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 14, 2011, 01:55:57 AM »

Quote from: Vidiot on September 13, 2011, 09:40:51 PM

Quote from: MonkeyFinger on September 11, 2011, 12:05:22 AM

Do you have some type of USB sound card attached?  I had this same issue with ARMA 2.  In my case it was the mono headset/mic cable that plugged into USB from Astro Mixamp.

If you do unplug it and try again.

Nope, just something broken in the game it would seem.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: September 15, 2011, 12:28:45 AM »

This shouldn't be considered a spoiler or anything since it is a trope of the genre but the fun just dies as soon as you start fighting other humans. Especially if you are a melee specialist.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 15, 2011, 02:50:23 AM »

I just throw my two handed battle axe right into the guy's face.  Fun continues!  ninja
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: September 15, 2011, 04:36:43 AM »

Quote from: Rob_Merritt on September 15, 2011, 12:28:45 AM

This shouldn't be considered a spoiler or anything since it is a trope of the genre but the fun just dies as soon as you start fighting other humans. Especially if you are a melee specialist.

I dunno. I struggled a bit when I first encountered humans, but they've become simple enough to handle now, even though I almost always end up taking a little damage in the process. The gun-wielding humans I handle by sprinting up to them and chopping off their head in one strike. The melee guys I shoot, as even one of them can take me out all alone if he gets close enough. They seem to drop with one or two well-placed shots.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 15, 2011, 11:33:11 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 15, 2011, 04:36:43 AM

I dunno. I struggled a bit when I first encountered humans, but they've become simple enough to handle now, even though I almost always end up taking a little damage in the process. The gun-wielding humans I handle by sprinting up to them and chopping off their head in one strike. The melee guys I shoot, as even one of them can take me out all alone if he gets close enough. They seem to drop with one or two well-placed shots.

The first time I encountered the guys at the police station I was in a group with two other people. We tore the hell out of the humans in there. Room to Room destruction came their way. It was awesome. So I gotta disagree with the idea that the bad humans ruin the fun.

ibdoomed

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 15, 2011, 12:29:28 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on September 15, 2011, 11:33:11 AM

Quote from: TiLT on September 15, 2011, 04:36:43 AM

The first time I encountered the guys at the police station I was in a group with two other people. We tore the hell out of the humans in there. Room to Room destruction came their way. It was awesome. So I gotta disagree with the idea that the bad humans ruin the fun.

QFT.

I thought that was a great 'twist' and I wasn't expecting it. I generally just headshot them.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 17, 2011, 09:45:18 AM »

saw this on the Steam forums:  Dead island Helper is a program that is supposed to help with tweaks.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 17, 2011, 05:14:25 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 17, 2011, 09:45:18 AM

saw this on the Steam forums:  Dead island Helper is a program that is supposed to help with tweaks.
yup, tons of people use it

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2114535
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 18, 2011, 02:06:46 PM »

A pal on my Steam list has put 63 hours (!) into this. Clearly, he needs to play more.  smirk Sounds addictive.

While I'm tempted, I just have read too many comments about motion sickness issues, sometimes from people who say they don't normally get that problem in FPSs. So I can only imagine how I'd react. puke biggrin

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: