http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 09:40:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [PC/360/Ps3] Dead Island Riptide  (Read 2058 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2012, 02:09:44 AM »

woohoo!  a new, standalone entry to the series.  they aren't saying much, but I can't wait to see what they come up with for this one.  can they top the CGI trailer for the first game?  can they make sure not to release the beta version instead of the final release on Steam on it's launch day? Will I have a chance to use Blackjack as zombie bait when his motion sickness debilitates him as we play co-op?  only time till tell!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 10:48:47 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 03:34:06 AM »

wow.  if this is as good as it looks I will be a very happy gamer when it comes out.  this looks like a great mix of gta/deus ex/hitman and it has a great engine.  

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 03:48:41 AM »

Quote from: Caine on June 06, 2012, 03:34:06 AM

wow.  if this is as good as it looks I will be a very happy gamer when it comes out.  this looks like a great mix of gta/deus ex/hitman and it has a great engine.  

ummm......

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 04:38:03 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 06, 2012, 03:48:41 AM

Quote from: Caine on June 06, 2012, 03:34:06 AM

ummm......

damn browser.  that's what I get for having two tabs open at a time.

what I meant to say was that I really got a kick out of the first one, warts and all.  nothing quite as fun as breaking bones and cutting limbs off of zeds. 

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 09:58:24 PM »

some new details:

fifth playable character.
definitely a spin-off, not a sequel.
darker story.

can't wait to hear more about this flooding system.

Because I can,
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 02:30:05 AM »

Hmm. Game Informer had an article on it that said it was a sequel that took place right after the last one left off. Also mentioned being able to import your characters from the first game. The screenshtos they had in the article looked nice nad if its more of the same I'm fine with that.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 10:50:23 PM »

The Rigor Mortis Edition:

Because I can,
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 02:25:48 PM »

Zombie Bait Edition

12 inch, 2.5kg statue

Don't worry Yank cousins Tongue

The Dead Island Riptide Zombie Bait Edition is now confirmed and available for pre-order on Gamesonly.at for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360

Limited to 8000 unites the collector’s Edition comes in a fancy box with the following:

Steelbook
2x DLC with alternate Character Skin & Pack of Weapon MODs
bloody, hand-painted zombie bikini torso made from synthetic resin (weight  2.5 kg (~ 5.5 lbs), height 33 cm (~12.99 inch))

However.... saywhat
The Edition is exclusively sold through Gamesonly.at for Austria, Germany and Switzerland.

Gotta laugh,Australians are i think getting the Union Flag version(well its available in UK and AUS),it makes me wonder if the MPs who just gave that Adult Rating over there are wondering if they did the right thing Tongue

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 03:27:00 PM »

Who the heck would want that on their shelf?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 04:10:38 PM »

I'm just shaking my head.  I don't get it.  Why not the entire zombie body standing on the pedestal so it's not so jack the ripper creepy?  That's some weird sh*t.       
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 04:59:30 PM »

Pretty sure there are only three types of people who would want that.  Perverts, serial killers and perverted serial killers.

I can just see the conversations now…
“Honey, look what came with my new game!”
*blank stare*
“I’m going to go stay with my mother…we’ll talk later.”
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 05:24:04 PM »

The industry needs to grow the fuck up.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 12:52:55 AM »

let the fun begin!

Bring your own!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 10:55:22 PM »

CGI trailer.  not as jaw dropping as the original CGI trailer for the first game.

it's probably the same on in the torso article MO linked to (it's from around that date), but for some reason all I see there is a button marked CGI trailer that doesn't do anything.

Because I can,
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 12:09:37 AM »

I think my gf might want that torso...  ninja
stryker
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 03:37:19 AM »

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone up in arms about it.
comment from an article on the backlash icon_lol
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 08:11:19 AM »

Reviews are starting to appear for this

GamesRadar-4/5
Considering Riptide's large scope, it's a surprisingly smooth ride. Its addicting zombie-slaying action, dozens of interesting weapons, and immersive qualities far outweigh its dull story and occasional technical hiccups, the latter of which pale in comparison to those of the original. This outshines its predecessor in almost every conceivable way--and once it sinks its teeth into your time, Riptide is a hard game to put down.

This game was reviewed on PC.

Vandal-8/10
It is a vast game, designed for cooperative play, and that we can absorb almost for so many hours as you want. Playing at normal speed, the 20 hours are guaranteed by all missions, but includes many small roads to explore, many minimisiones fast, which can tend scraping our even more fun. This time there are no excuses. Dead Island: Riptide makes clear from the beginning what is going to offer, and if the proposal attracts you, Techland's new work does not disappoint .

GameInformer-8/10
Riptide’s flaws are many, but they couldn’t hold me back from having a blast. Few games nail the visceral feel of melee combat and co-op fun like Dead Island. At its worst, an annoying hiccup breaks the immersion of the grizzly trek through a zombie-infested paradise. At its best, Riptide hits the same high notes as the original.

IGN UK-7.2
I seriously love Dead Island Riptide for its satisfying zombie dismemberment and co-op, but technically, it's done nothing to build itself into a great game. Rather than fix the graphics and the performance problems that plagued the original two years ago, Techland slightly modified the setting and delivered a new character and more content. It’s a fun time, but there are no surprises or killer new features to make it an impressive package.

Eurogamer-6/10
Unfortunately, the game lasts twice as long as my patience for the duff bits held out.

What makes that so sad is that this feels like a series only a few great decisions away from being really good. A better script with a sense of humour, a bit more imagination in quest design, more coherent inventory management and character development... These things shouldn't be unattainable goals for a developer that must be flush from the unexpected success of the first game. If there is to be more Dead Island - and I wouldn't object to that - then those things must be high priorities for it to avoid another mauling.

As for Riptide? It's half-fun, but fittingly enough it's the boring stuff that ultimately kills it.

CVG-5.9
If you're reading this and are mentally repelling our criticisms with a barbed wire baseball bat, then you may find that enough of Techland's vision shines through to keep you entertained. It is, to use the heinous cliche ever devised, a real Marmite game.

But to everyone else, our advice on Dead Island: Riptide is very clear. Despite its beautiful skies and deep blue lagoons and bewitching skill trees, you can't overlook the fact that Palanai stinks.

Polygon-5.5
There was a contingent of players that didn't have the problems I had with the original Dead Island. (Trust me, I heard from them.) They were perfectly content to have some brainless (zing!) fun with a few buddies. And I understand that. But I imagine even the most stalwart defenders of the series are going to be disappointed when they see just how little reason there is to travel from Banoi to Palanai.

Videogamer.com-5/10
The frustrating thing is that occasionally, a good game threatens to make itself
known and it does some things very right. The combat is still good, with a
satisfying 'thunk' every time you slaughter your enemies, and you do fall into some
sort of rhythm with it. In short bursts it’s a lot easier to get on with too, as
prolonged play leaves it feeling very tedious. It’s atmospheric, although oddly
nowhere near to the extent of the first game, and there’s no place as unique as
that game’s holiday resort. The music is really good though: brooding, melancholy
synths channelling John Carpenter at his best.

On the whole though, Riptide is yet another missed opportunity, and just too
painfully average, wonky and padded out with filler to truly recommend.

Version Tested: PC

Gamespot UK-4/10
And don't try enlisting a few friends for some four-player co-op: it doesn't make the game any more exciting. Sure, having a few friends around makes those hordes disappear a little faster, and there are some extra quests you can take on, but the core experience remains as glacial as ever. Riptide is dumb, and mind-numbingly slow, and somehow manages to make the art of zombie-slaying feel like utter tedium. And if slaying zombies isn't fun in a game that's all about slaying zombies, why bother?

Kotaku usually do a 'Should I buy this game-yes/no'..this time i think the yes/no is broke(and should say NO),they had this where it was supposed to say it
Why? It's too broken to be worth your time,too unbalanced to be fun,and altogether too monotonous

Things I Loved-Commiserating with a friend,creating electrified melee weapons.

Things I hated-The lag,the janky animations,the story,the lack of balance,the nuisance of combat,the repetition.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 08:21:43 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 03:05:47 PM »

While I understand all the negatives listed and admit they are all fairly accurate, I really enjoyed the first game. It looks like Riptide is more of the same. In that case I'm sure I will have a blast playing this as well, as soon as the price drops into my range.
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 03:09:57 PM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on April 22, 2013, 03:05:47 PM

While I understand all the negatives listed and admit they are all fairly accurate, I really enjoyed the first game. It looks like Riptide is more of the same. In that case I'm sure I will have a blast playing this as well, as soon as the price drops into my range.

True but it's a shame they coudlnt actually fixes the issues this time round and get it right second time. This will be a bargain buy for me

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 03:14:17 PM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on April 22, 2013, 03:05:47 PM

Enjoyed the first, except for the end boss, who was a cheapass fighter with too many respawning enemies around him.   Bummed that they didn't refine the game as much as I'd hoped.   

Backlog overrule in effect.   Waiting on a good sale before I pick this up.

Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2013, 06:58:32 PM »

Ugh. This one could bite me for pre-purcashing it. Figured it would be at least as good as the original.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2013, 09:32:52 PM »

After watching Total Biscuit's WTF on this, my concerns are pretty much laid to rest. Coop play with new character/locations/loot/etc. I'm there.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 01:02:04 AM »

Quote from: Teggy on January 15, 2013, 03:27:00 PM

Yeah, wtf. This is what gives video games a bad name whenever there is a mass shooting. Who honestly thought 'hey, how about we include a misogynistic,  bloody torso of a well proportioned woman as a limited edition'?
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2013, 02:06:56 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on April 23, 2013, 01:02:04 AM

Quote from: Teggy on January 15, 2013, 03:27:00 PM

Yeah, wtf. This is what gives video games a bad name whenever there is a mass shooting. Who honestly thought 'hey, how about we include a misogynistic,  bloody torso of a well proportioned woman as a limited edition'?

yeah, it's kind of a bad thing they ran out so fast frown
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2013, 05:25:34 PM »

Shaqnews just gave this a terrible review. For basically all the stuff from the first game that he didn't like. I have to say the complaints are valid. The map is frequently not very accurate in terms of paths and quest markers. There are a lot of cheap deaths in the game and you don't dare stand up to mobs. I know the ram guys from the first game drove me crazy for a long time. But if you don't fear the mobs then to me you have no tension at all. Games that are super easy to me are not as fun. While I recognize all the negatives, they didn't keep me from enjoying the game.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2013, 06:13:10 PM »

So far from my first hour or so of play: If you liked Dead Island, you will like this. (360 version)

Lots of little touches for new things and the combat is just as fun as it was. Using the heavy running kick to knock zombies 30ft or more never gets old.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2013, 03:46:41 AM »

I put in two hours in to it. If you liked the first (I did) you'll like this as its more of the same - a somewhat open world zombie apocolypse game. It still has all the warts of the original game including the horrible dialogue which makes you hate any of the main characters. And they seemed to have ramped up items you can gather in the game. It seems like there are items everywhere to pick up so you're spending a bunch of times just scouring every inch of ground to pick up items - it kinda sucks a bit of life out of the whole survival aspect of the game its supposed to be focusing on. Instead its gather gather gather, kill kill, gather gather gather.

Haven't hit any game stopping bugs or anything (never did in the original) but there are some annoying things. Like the weather seems to change on a dime. It's nice and sunny one second and then all of a sudden dark and torrental rains. Some leafs of a plant made me stuck between a building an a rock face for awhile but my jumping and ducking movements eventually unstucked me. I had a zombie appear out of thin air. And then after clearing out an area but then found they all came back after I went over a small rise and turned around.

Still having a lot of fun with it. I love the analog combat where you can direct your blows to cripple or cut off limbs. The location looks great, although I do wish the textures were hire res. The quests are acceptable and there seems to be some minimal base building elements which is kinda a nice change. All-in-all it seems decent so far.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2014, 04:31:30 PM »

Arise!

So I think I stopped playing this game soon after I made my last post. I recently began playing again after seeing the Dead Island 2 E3 trailer and thinking, hmmm I never did finish Riptide. So I re-installed and started from scratch. 15 hours later I'm loving it.

But I wasn't really loving it till about 10 hours in when I had to defend this ruined church from a zombie onslaught. The defending the area missions are the new wrinkle to the Dead Island games. They start off simple (and boring) but by this point in the game I'm setting up barricades, planting mines around the perimeter, putting up gun emplacements, and strategically placing explosive barrels. It's so great to see your setup work go right when the assaults start. You got zombies exploding as they run over your mines. You're jumping on gun emplacements and mowing down any zombies have broken through barricades. Or shooting the exploding barrels to stop the zombies from advancing.

The assault usually go to pot at some point so you have to jump in to the fray and melee. You're in there fighting with the six or seven other AI survivors who are also not trying to get killed themselves. Fun stuff.

Around this time the game finally took off. They send you down in to an "abandoned" WWII bunker. Its a pretty intense area as the lights are not working right and you basically have to see by throwing flares around - which don't last too long. So its difficult to see zombies at times and frightening to be in a battle and have it go dark as you flare runs out.

I'm at the second location now in the game, a city. Which so far seems better than the city in the original game but haven't gotten that far in to it. I'm hoping the game keeps the intensity it's had for the last four or five hours.

Also it looks like people are still playing this game. I had a few people enter my game co-op awhile I was playing which was fun. But after about 8hrs in I haven't seen anyone or been prompted to join another persons game.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2014, 07:34:06 PM »

I finished this up. Showed 21hrs to complete with 56% of the game complete. I guess there were a lot of side missions that I didn't get although I did quite a few. The second half of the game was certainly better than the initial first. There's basically only two zones. The island you start on and then the city. The island does get good near the end as you're visiting some interesting locations, and the story gets a lot better. But the city was great all the way through. It had a fantastic layout with tight quarters, an a bit of a mazy layout but they left you multiple paths you could travel through it. They were thoughtful enough to not congest the city with zombies. So really even though its tight quarters you basically fighting one or two zombies at a time, or you can just run past them.

Don't think I'll play through the game again on the Game+ mode they have. You do start out with all your inventory items, and your stats/skills, but the zombies are put at your level so its not a total cake walk. But no real desire to get all those sub-quests. Although there were some good ones. Including one where I helped a super hero called The Zombinator. I needed to find his cape, his super shoes, and The Fish. Above all else him made sure I had to get The Fish.

I did feel pretty kick ass by the end of the game. I went with the lady that specializes in blades. I had a killer katana I picked up near the end I upgraded all the way and put a high level poison mod on. That thing was killer at slicing off limbs or killing zombies in one blow.

Dunno if I can recommend this one. The time investment is like 10hrs before the game gets good. First one is better overall - even though it has the terrible middle part with the tunnels.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: