http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 01:21:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DayZ - Arma 2 Zombie Apocalypse Mod! (small AAR story included)  (Read 4864 times)
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2012, 03:00:43 PM »

http://www.dayzmod.com/

It's a mod for ARMA 2 that requires the Operation Arrowhead expansion.

It is, as far as I know very unique in that it is not a zombie apocalypse in the sense of something like Left 4 Dead. It plays out more like a good novel, and is a cross between a FPS, an MMO and an RPG. You create your player, and log into a server. Your player is persistent - provided you haven't died you log into the same place you logged out from, with the same gear. There is random loot drops, but it changes according to area. If you go hunt for gear in the zombified military base, then your chances of picking up an AK-47 are pretty good. Go and loot the zombified grocery store and you will find soda cans and baked beans.

The servers are small - 50ish players per, and the area is HUGE. http://avidblur.com/arma2/

Last night I played for the first time, and it took me about an hour to an hour and a half to make it from Elektrozavodsk to where my friends met me outside Vishnoy. Of course, that journey involved several very tense moments sneaking my way past zombie nests, and also having to shoot 4 of them. Every encounter with a real player is nerve-wracking, because you never know if they will help you, or shoot you and take your stuff. The zombies have a range of reaction distances, and it varies depending on what you're doing. Run, and you get noticed quickly. crawl along the ground and you could almost bump into one without them noticing.

Here's a map of the game area to give an idea of the scale of things:

http://avidblur.com/arma2/

It's a very tense game - long periods of relative nothing, followed by extremely intense experiences. I will recount my first few hours with the game below, and perhaps it will give a sense of the scope and timeline.

Elektrozavodsk

I came to by the water. It was night, and dark. The quiet was not that of complete silence, but simply a total lack of man-made noise. Even after so many months since the beginning - Day Z as some of the survivors had taken to calling it - it was still difficult to get used to. The upside of sleeping by the shore was that the zombies couldn't swim - it made for a convenient get-away if set on in the middle of the night. The downside was the constant washing of the ocean upon the shore made it more difficult to hear one approaching. And that's how I almost died.

The seaside breeze kicked a piece of sand up into my eyes and while I was trying, watery-eyed, to get it out the first blow caught me in the back of the head. I fell to the ground and rolled just as the zombie's hand gouged a gash into my left side. It lurched down towards me, ravaged face moaning in hunger. Frantically I snatched at the makarov holstered in my belt and brought it up just in time. BANG. BANG BANG. The first two shots were wild in my panic, but the second drove straight into the zombie's brain. The corpse fell limply atop me and I rolled it off with a small sound of disgust. Scrambling to my feet I glanced around quickly - the gunshots were often enough to bring more zombies to a potential feeding, and if the zombies were bad, the human predators who preyed on their fellow survivors were often worse.

The sea cities were the worst - roving bands of survivors fighting each other as much as the zombies. It had been dangerous to come here - perhaps even stupid but the lure of goods in the port area had been enough to make it worth the effort. Except it hadn't been worth the effort. Alone, in one of the most dangerous places in the country it was now up to me to make it out alive. Northwest, to Stary Sobor. That's where my friends and I had agreed to meet up. There was a small army camp there - or had been. Along with that came military-grade equipment. Assault rifles and sub-machine guns instead of hunting rifles. Potentially GPS units instead of maps. Lacking any of those things I was stuck making the trip on foot, without means of navigation except my map, my wits and the pistol I had at my side. Three magazines and a total of... 16, 17, 18 bullets after that last encounter. I was bleeding a little, so grabbed bandages from my pack and wrapped the small wounds quickly.

I glanced at the map to make sure I knew where I was. It wasn't too hard as I'd always had a knack for reading the things. Unlike my wife, Nicola. I had once caught her trying to read the map upside-down while sending me the wrong way. She would read no more maps, buried in a shallow grave outside Kamyshovo. It was no time to reminisce, so I set off north, looking for the main road. I needed to find the railroad tracks, follow them east a short ways and then north again out of the city.

Two blocks later I heard the gunshots. They were coming from the Northwest, and close. I stopped moving immediately and stayed close to the side of the building on the edge of the street. Standing in the middle of the road was always a bad idea, even without cars driving down them these days. The silence stretched, until finally I felt comfortable moving. North another hundred meters. Movement. A man ran out onto the street from a three-story building on the right. I froze, not daring to move in case it drew his attention. He turned back towards the building and I could see he held some kind of a rifle - likely a winchester as they seemed an easy find in this part of the coast for some reason. The man ran back into the building again briefly, then stepped back out onto the street slowly. He turned towards me and froze. We stared at each other for at least 30 seconds without moving.

Taking a deep breath, I kept a comfortable grip on the pistol held low in my right hand and stepped towards him. We both slowly raised our weapons - ironically a positive sign that neither of us wanted to hurt the other. When you wanted to kill man who was holding a gun you did it quickly. I kept walking north, staying on the opposite side of the street from him as I drew closer and closer. My gun stayed pointed at him, and he didn't move other than pivoting to keep his rifle trained on me. His face was blank, haunted. He didn't even try to speak. For that matter, neither did I. On another night, in different circumstances we might have talked, perhaps even helped each other a little. But not tonight. I sidled past him and when we were a safe distance we both lowered our weapons and I moved off into the night.

Stary Sobor awaited me.

To be continued...
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 03:12:15 PM »

Holy shit this mod sounds awesome. I may have to reinstall Arma and give it a go.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 03:26:59 PM »

It really is fantastic. It's creepy to play alone though, fair warning. The tension is constant. The only place you can feel safe is if you run out into the wilderness, far from everything and everyone. But that means you have to hunt for food, and find water. Instead of scavenging it in zombie-infested cities that have other players who may or may not try to kill you biggrin

The AAR I am writing is true-to-life, with just some color put into the story telling. I'm not making any of the events up in the slightest. That's the beautiful thing about it - I don't need to make anything up biggrin I really do have friends waiting for my in Stary Sobor, for example. They have a posse together, have raided some decent military gear (one of them even found a ghillie suit and sniper rifle!). One has a GPS, and they've got a nice little system going.

It is brutal though. If you go days in real life without dying and starting over it's an accomplishment. It's a small miracle I haven't died yet.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 03:42:07 PM »

So is there only 1 server or are there several to choose from? Also, is there stat progression and experience points, or just item and weapon gathering to find better gear?

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 03:53:28 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on May 30, 2012, 03:42:07 PM

So is there only 1 server or are there several to choose from? Also, is there stat progression and experience points, or just item and weapon gathering to find better gear?

No stat progression or experience points. Just surviving. It does keep track of your zombie and player kills though. It is still in alpha, so who knows how it will evolve. It's an amazingly stable alpha.

There is probably 100 servers or more up at any given time, with a ton of different ones in the US to choose from.

It's ARMA combat mechanics, give or take, so very realistic. If you run, it is hard to shoot right afterwards because you are out of breath and the sights waver. It really discourages run and gun, and makes it a careful and methodical game even for skilled shooters. The guys I am playing with is actually my competition team for BF3 - there are some freakishly good shooters on the team (we are a top competition team, #1 on the TWL HC ladder, competing in several leagues etc). Even with our skill level and coordination and teamwork, we still play very carefully and take it slowly. Set up a perimeter around towns, observe for a while for player presence before moving in. Always keep someone outside for overwatch in case we get ambushed, this kind of thing).
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 05:09:06 PM »

Staroye Crapoe

The crunch of gravel underfoot did little to disturb my thoughts as I walked through the night, heading North. I mind lingered on Topolka Dam I had seen a few hours earlier, remembering what it had been like when I drove through here five years earlier. It never ceased to amaze me, seeing how quickly nature reclaimed land when man ceased actively maintaining his creations and the damn was no exception. While still largely functional, it was already showing signs of the decay that would one day see it collapse and the flow of water return to normal.

The sight of a gas station up ahead made me slow my steps, and I immediately stepped off the road into the low undergrowth on the side. Buildings, inevitably, meant zombies. And perhaps other humans. I moved off a hundred meters or so to the west, up a low rising hill and the safety of the treeline that came with it. Lying down in the grass under a low bush, I set to watching. The minutes passed, and all I could see was the lumbering, mindless movements of the zombies roaming the edge of town. As best I had been able to figure, the virus took three forms in the people it infected. The first was what we called "walkers" - staying upright they lumbered around like shambling parodies of their former human selves. "Hoppers" literally hopped around on all fours, like a sick blend of a human and frog. And finally "crawlers" did just that - crawl around on the ground. Why this was so I didn't know, but I could see all three in various numbers north near the road.

I should have just cut off into the woods and swung well clear of the town. I know that now, but hindsight is 20-20 and the fear of falling in the dark and twisting and ankle or, even worse, breaking a leg was very real. Combine that with the darkness and the lack of a compass and the thought of getting stranded was terrifying. So I decided to work my way through the edge of town. The thing about the zombies is that their senses are dulled to a very large degree compared to their former human selves. Provided you move slowly and stay crouched you can walk as close as 10-15 meters and they won't bother you. Perhaps the slow speed of movement and hunched shape makes them confuse you with a hopper. Crawl, and you can get even closer - maybe 5 meters away. But walk upright or, god forbid, run, and you will make a meal of yourself in short order.

So crouch I did, and began to make my way through the town. Before long though I ran into my first piece of trouble. It came in the form of a hopper, who I could hear making a low growling sound off to my right. The last thing you want to do is fire off a weapon in the middle of a zombie-infested town, so I moved off to my left to avoid him. A short move in that direction and I could see a walker coming in from that direction. I immediately dropped to the ground and started to crawl. The problem with crawling is, while you can get closer to a zombie without setting it off, you also don't move much if at all faster than them when they are wandering around. This means your margin for error gets smaller in other ways.

So you can imagine my dismay when I heard another zombie ahead of me. I froze, peeking behind me quickly to assess my situation. The zombie to my right was hopping along, almost on a collision course with the walker on my left. If either of one of them turned towards me I was in big trouble. I stayed put and held my breath. The two zombies came together, almost crashing and paused momentarily. The hopper turned to his left, away from me and hopped away. The walker hung there for a long moment and then turned to his left.. towards me. Shit.

I started scrambling forward as quickly as I could, staying on my stomach and praying to every god and saint I could think of. I didn't dare stop to look behind me and see if he was closing the gap, but also couldn't see the zombie I could hear up ahead of me. There is no sound left in the world louder than that of a zombie's mindless slavering. It echoes in your mind, stirring primal fears deep in your soul. My heart thundered a horrible mix of exertion and fear. A broken down car was lying in the road ahead of me, shielding my view of the zombie ahead. Was he facing me? Waiting? No, that wasn't possible. When their feeding instinct was triggered they exploded into terrible action. They did not wait in ambush. I scrambled forward, hoping against all hope... yes. As I cleared the edge of the car I could see the zombie lumbering away from the road. A glimmer of hope I would make it out alive after all.

Two hours later I had to shoot two zombies after a hopper surprised me near a small hut as I cut across to the road into Stary Sober. I had been jogging along the side of the road, so my hand wasn't the steadiest. 8 bullets to take them down, and I was down to two clips for my makarov. Bad news. The good news is I was only a short distance now from the tower where we had all agreed to meet. I just had to hope they didn't shoot me as I came in. Never a full moment in the new world order...
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 04:00:12 AM »

Quote from: Scraper on May 30, 2012, 03:42:07 PM

A little more detail...
ALL of the servers report back to the "main" data servers which are housed by the developer... This is why you could log off one public or private server and jump on another and still have all your gear and spawn in the same location you logged out in. I believe the developer is also a developer on ARMA 2 or ARMA 3...

Some things I don't like...
1) Zombie spawning.. (NOTE: I am not a fan of AI respawns in pretty much any game, although, I am a little more accepting when it's done somewhat logically....) Zombies can spawn near you at almost any time it seems... I cleared a small hanger type building, went to the 2nd floor( which had an open view of the 1st floor), cleared that... walked into a small room for about 10 seconds, then came back out to find zombies on the catwalk near me and back on the 1st floor.
2) This is probably due to the Alpha status, but zombies seem to be able to crawl through walls and such, so clearing a building then closing the doors doesnt help.
3) You can go hungry and thirsty while logged off.. (The mod requires you to have food and drink, plus watch your temperature...).. This means If you can't play for a few days, you might log back in to have your food and drink status bottomed out... I think this affects healing or bleeding or something...

I still haven't met up with anyone and really think this game "requires" you to have someone (or a group of someones) to play with.. for the creep factor, the difficulty in surviving, and the boredom of running walking through the woods alone...
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 05:05:00 AM »

Downloading now
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 07:34:33 AM »

bit bummed your eyes don't adjust to the night.  Its completely unplayable at night without a light source.  Since the day/night is real time, I may never get to play the game. frown
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 07:45:49 AM »

You can either use one of the timeshifted servers (Not sure if it shows in the server list though), or use a european server :-)

A new one
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 11:19:29 AM »

Tried installing this last night. The install instructions on the game's FAQ are broken though if you have the retail version. It tells you to go to the Steam files, but I have the retail version so I don't have the game in the steam file. It then tells you to add a folder in the Arma2:OA file, but there isn't a sub- OA file even though I have OA installed. Not sure what to do.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 11:23:30 AM »

Quote from: Scraper on May 31, 2012, 11:19:29 AM

Tried installing this last night. The install instructions on the game's FAQ are broken though if you have the retail version. It tells you to go to the Steam files, but I have the retail version so I don't have the game in the steam file. It then tells you to add a folder in the Arma2:OA file, but there isn't a sub- OA file even though I have OA installed. Not sure what to do.

Use the installer made by a guy from the developers - You can find it here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2705492

But basically when you install ARMA, make sure to install the base game first, then RUN IT ONCE, so that when you install the expansion it will install it into the same directory. I did this mistake myself.

A new one
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 11:44:10 AM »

This game is brutal, I can see it being a lot of fun
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 04:59:33 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 31, 2012, 11:23:30 AM

Use the installer made by a guy from the developers - You can find it here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2705492

But basically when you install ARMA, make sure to install the base game first, then RUN IT ONCE, so that when you install the expansion it will install it into the same directory. I did this mistake myself.

Where did you actually add the "DayZ" file to unpack all the DLs in?

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 05:11:22 PM »

Does anyone know if this will work with the F2P edition of ARMA II? I've been shoulder gazing my son playing this and I'd like to give it a go. He has ARMA II Combined ops, but I'm wondering if I need to buy a copy. I know you can install fan mods with the F2P version and even play offline.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2012, 05:19:47 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on May 31, 2012, 05:11:22 PM

Does anyone know if this will work with the F2P edition of ARMA II? I've been shoulder gazing my son playing this and I'd like to give it a go. He has ARMA II Combined ops, but I'm wondering if I need to buy a copy. I know you can install fan mods with the F2P version and even play offline.

it wont work with the F2P versions

Quote from: Scraper on May 31, 2012, 04:59:33 PM

Quote from: Razgon on May 31, 2012, 11:23:30 AM

Where did you actually add the "DayZ" file to unpack all the DLs in?

I didnt - I ran the program I linked, the program downloaded everything and installed it and made 2 shortcuts on my desktop to play the game.

A new one
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 06:47:20 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 31, 2012, 05:19:47 PM

To expand on this a little, you need the full game as well as the Operation Arrowhead expansion (or the Combined Ops pack, which includes both).

Sandwiches do fix everything.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 08:53:01 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on May 31, 2012, 06:47:20 PM

Quote from: Razgon on May 31, 2012, 05:19:47 PM

To expand on this a little, you need the full game as well as the Operation Arrowhead expansion (or the Combined Ops pack, which includes both).

Cool and thanks 2 both of you for letting me know. I've been intending to get Comined Ops for a while, so that works.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2012, 10:12:44 PM »

anyone have a favorite server yet?
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2012, 01:10:02 AM »

are login times still crazy?

read about the mod but heard it can take a while to get the game going.

i've got mine set up and so far only played around with an unofficial sp version of it (http://kronzky.info/missions/arma/dayzsp/) thats just you and zombies, no bandits/friends. once i get the feel for it i'll hop onto some mp but dont have lots of gaming time to waste just trying to login to a server.

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2012, 01:53:31 AM »

takes me 2-3 minutes to get on a server most of the time.  couple times it was near instant
frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2012, 04:58:48 AM »

looks very good.  hopefully this will motivate some company to fully create the same type of game fully.  This is the kind of zombie game I always wanted.  Dead Island was close on certain aspects, but I like this scenario.  will be looking to pick up the Combined Operations when I see it on sale to play this.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2012, 01:05:52 PM »

I finally got it installed last night, and I couldn't connect to a server either. It kept telling me "Can't connect to server" with no real reason why. Not sure If Im not running the same version of the Arma, Arma OA, or DayZ. The Arma versions are confusing because I have the Combined Ops retail version, which you have to install Arma and OA separately, then they each have a different version number. I DLed the 1.11 patch and installed it, but nowhere in the game does it say I am running 1.11. It says 1.6. Confusing as all hell, especially since all the FAQs I can find assume you have the Steam version installed.

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2012, 03:55:45 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on June 01, 2012, 01:05:52 PM

I finally got it installed last night, and I couldn't connect to a server either. It kept telling me "Can't connect to server" with no real reason why. Not sure If Im not running the same version of the Arma, Arma OA, or DayZ. The Arma versions are confusing because I have the Combined Ops retail version, which you have to install Arma and OA separately, then they each have a different version number. I DLed the 1.11 patch and installed it, but nowhere in the game does it say I am running 1.11. It says 1.6. Confusing as all hell, especially since all the FAQs I can find assume you have the Steam version installed.
I believe the 1.6 you are referring to is the MOD version#...
And it can take a while to get in.... sometimes as long as 5-10 minutes...
remember, it's an alpha...
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2012, 03:41:00 PM »

Tried mp yesterday and spent forever getting it working frown

But now I'm doing fine. Tried the six updater but it didnt seem to work or user error. Found it easier to just have zip of 1.6 and 1.7 and flip manually between what I wanted. Got 1.7 and beta working now since most servers on that and 1.6 was too laggy for me.

Was playing on a Dallas server. Not sure where I am on the map (didnt pay attention when it started). Just following the coast, hanging out by some rocks, watching zombies in the distance. Think I'll get a good map on my touchpad to use as a map to find my bearings. Pasted a little dock. Can see a few small buildings around. Tempting. Started near a lot of buildings but didnt want to go near them.

Probably hop on later and figure out where I am. Maybe go zombie shooting/looting for practice as I have nothing so nothing to lose smile

EDIT: Forgot to ask. What in game settings due people use. Normal, high or low for some things? Think I have objects normal but terrain low. Wondering how much foliage people running around with.

Edit2: think im right west of bay mutnaya westside of cherno. Heading towards balota unless i head n randomly inland.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 06:56:21 PM by Creepy_Smell » Logged

Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2012, 07:20:03 PM »

I still can't connect to an actual game. I used the auto installer so I'm pretty sure my game is up to date, but no matter what server I pick I get an error message saying "Unable to Connect".

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2012, 01:23:33 AM »

Quote from: Scraper on June 03, 2012, 07:20:03 PM

I still can't connect to an actual game. I used the auto installer so I'm pretty sure my game is up to date, but no matter what server I pick I get an error message saying "Unable to Connect".

You have to have the same version as the servers... some servers have different versions..
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2012, 10:28:43 PM »

think i'm playing a hunting simulator. just walking through the woods smile

my 1st guy wandered up around kozlovka. after previous play was out of water and slowly dying of thirst so went into some small town to find anything. Unsuccessful but took out a few zombies but got nothing I needed from them. A few more attacked later and I died as I ran out of ammo.

I then spawned in cap golova between cherno and electro. Still trying to play safe but wondering if I shouldnt just suicide stroll into a town and wait until I have good stuff to head out into woods. But I like the tress, so headed into woods then followed treeline west to Prigorodky. Snuck into town looking for anything (Didnt want to go to far inland and find nothing like last time). Took out 4 zombies and still had ammo and OK blood. Got some sodas from them. Nearby building had some more ammo, food and water. Wandered up into woods for now. Prigor seems like a good place to stay to stock up before I head out looking for better gear.

Still have yet to run into any real players.

Edit: also decided to not eat or drink if its about time i plan to quit. No point wasting it since will be hungry thirsty when log back in.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 12:28:42 AM by Creepy_Smell » Logged

raydude

SPICE! Nomnomnomnom

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2012, 12:45:56 AM »

Can anyone set up a private server?

A Pew Research Center poll found nearly half of Americans hold the false belief that TARP was passed under President Obama, while only 34 percent know it originated under Bush.
"Oh yeah?" Bush replied. "50% of the people were wrong."
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2012, 11:43:04 AM »

Private servers are against the rules.
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2012, 03:12:01 AM »

There are other arma2 zombie levels but i havent played them (http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=14211). Might be able to make the sp dayz into mp but it wouldn't save anymore.

My 2nd guy found a lake n of prigor (bit w of where maps say kopyto and can still see road so not to far in woods). Revisited prig to get a bit more stuff. Went back to lack and then lost my backpack trying to figure out how to refill canteen (right click canteen smile ). Headed w to some lake town below nadezhdino. Got into 2 buildings without trouble. Continueing w came across a few buildings and had a quick battle. Lost blood and used a bandage. Found a knife and ax as I headed on. Got into another battle and used last bandage. Now seeing b & w. Was trying to get to deer huts neer bor when had another attack. Now I was blurring out (hurts real eyes watching monitor as I walked/ran for a while). Survived some more zombies but never found bandages or enough food to save me. Walked into bor and took a few out so I could die.

Currently I spawned near kamenka. Talked with some people and tried to take out a bandit but lost him. Tried tracking someone else but lost him too. That was the most human contact I've had since I started. Headed n to deerstand. Got some ammo and food. Thought I went w but not sure. Luckily came across another deer stand with ak and bandages. Might be by pavlovo now. Unsure. Nicely equipped and have avoided any fights so far.

Night time is bugging me though. Don't mind a little but played this morning/noonish on TX/Dallas servers and it was always dark. While I think they had rain its usually not that hard to see. That and sluggish servers drove me crazy. So kept server hopping.

Sometimes wonder why I dont play sp one since I avoid peeps, but the odd chance of stumbling across one is interesting.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2012, 03:54:01 AM »

Rumor has it that the Day-Z mod-maker (who works at Bohemia) has been instructed to work on the mod full-time.  Which would clearly be a good thing.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2012, 04:07:00 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 07, 2012, 03:54:01 AM

Rumor has it that the Day-Z mod-maker (who works at Bohemia) has been instructed to work on the mod full-time.  Which would clearly be a good thing.

yeah.  this game has uber potential.  they've only scratched the surface.  this just looks so good.  i hope it doesn't die out before getting some nicer finishes
Crux
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2012, 12:32:27 PM »

Berezino is a great place to go if you are willing to be patient and careful. It has two convenience stores, a hospital, and some military tents that carry lower-grade military gear. My guy is up there now, hiding in a building. I've got basically a full kit of survival gear minus matches. I have hatchet, hunting knife, compass, map, binoculars. I can *almost* go out into the woods and survive indefinitely without needing to visit a town - if only I could find some fricking matches biggrin
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2012, 03:38:44 AM »

Made it to Bor. Snuck in a house and found 2 canteens (1 empty, 1 full)! So now I got 3. Fill my old empty & the new so now set for some a while. Still got decent food. Quite nerve wracking sneaking past/laying nonmoving so close to zombies to get to the water pump. Prefer lakes smile On my way out of Bor did notice a flare or fire by a deer stand e of town that I had been at. Dark and rain so couldnt see that far but watched that direction as I walked backwards into the woods. I need to find a better backpack as I have little empty space.

Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2012, 05:26:56 PM »

FYI... Security Breach at the forums..

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=9123
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2012, 03:04:13 AM »

so joined back into game where i was near a barn. someone inside so i took them out (wasnt feeling to kindly). ran into woods with new gear then everyone on server died. short life of a bandit...though it did take everyone else too frown

they really need to fix that hack/bug whatever it is.

frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2012, 09:40:17 AM »

Quote from: Creepy_Smell on June 14, 2012, 03:04:13 AM

so joined back into game where i was near a barn. someone inside so i took them out (wasnt feeling to kindly). ran into woods with new gear then everyone on server died. short life of a bandit...though it did take everyone else too frown

they really need to fix that hack/bug whatever it is.

Everyone on the server spontaneously died at once?  That's a known bug, or a hack?
frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2012, 11:12:01 AM »

the more i'm reading on this, the more i see that people are complaining of too much player vs. player killing.  is this running completely rampant right now?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2012, 05:32:16 AM »

little AAR I found off of Kotaku: Stockholm Syndrome: How Six Men Kidnapped Me in DayZ.  one of these days I'm going to redownload ArmA2 and give this mod a shot.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: