http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 12:49:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Day of Defeat - worth the $10 extra bucks?  (Read 2062 times)
farley2k
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2004, 05:16:53 PM »

The 2 cheapest steam versions are Bronze  $49.99 with HL2 and Counter Strike or the Silver version for $59.99 with Day of Defeat ( PLUS: Valve's back catalog available on Steam! Like I am going to play Half-life 1?  Yeah right.)

My question is - will DoD be hugely popular?  I don't care to play on-line much except at the occassional lan party so I only need what people will be playing at those.   Is DoD big?

whispa
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 05:47:45 PM »

DoD is a very popular mod for Half Life. It is a very fun mod which I highly recommend. It will gain even more popularity once it is released with the updated engine.
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 05:53:52 PM »

Agreed.  I think it's far better than CS.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 06:04:21 PM »

Its an excellent, excellent mod that I thik will only get that much better because of the new engine-it was starting to feel very clunky in the Half Life code.

Plus, Half Life Source has to be good for something, and Condition Zero and the other goodies can easily blow the 5 hours of your time that would make 10 bucks worth it!

I purcahsed about a week ago, and can only say I played about 5hrs of CS:Steam so far, but I still think it was a good purchase.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 06:44:14 PM »

They're all pretty worthless to me.  I burned out on CS and DoD long ago, and having minor graphical upgrades isn't going to make them new games or get rid of the morons that flood the servers.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 08:28:52 PM »

I went out and dug around a bit and I don't see a huge draw for it.

How many WW2 on line games do we really need?

It also seems I could just add that later from Steam if I decided I wanted to play it.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 08:45:43 PM »

Well, to be fair, didn't DoD come out before the big huge deluge of WWII games?
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 09:06:13 PM »

Quote from: "wonderpug"

Yup.  Only Medal of Honor released before it, but I believe it was still being planned at that point.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2004, 09:20:26 PM »

True but that doesn't mean that DoD 2 (which is sort of what  DoD:Source is) is necessary.

As someone on the fence is just makes sense for me to buy the cheapest and then buy DoD if I want it later.  There doesn't seem to be a downside unless DoD costs more to buy separatley.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2004, 10:52:29 PM »

DoD andNS are the best HL mods out there..but they are just mods and Ill not pay for them...so no not worth $10.. ill miss it but ill not play it any longer if its pay for to play iot. I got Red Orchestra which is basically the same thing and its free.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
weeskwee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2004, 06:31:37 AM »

DoD is one of the best multiplayer shooters ever made. it's so damn fun, even to this day. all i have ever wanted was updated graphics, and this will do it. i will pay the extra $10 now instead of $20-30 when it is really released next year.
weeskwee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2004, 06:35:15 AM »

don't get it. if your going to gripe then i think you have your answer. who cares if there are a lot of WWII shooters out there. DoD is the best and people will want to play a newer version of it over any other similar shooters that have come out recently.
it's only $10 damn dollars and you get HL1 source, DoD source, the full back catolog of valve games. i spent $8 for a chicken bowl and a large coke for lunch on monday. and it was gone in half an hour. i put $10 of gas in my car and it doesnt even fill 1/4 of the tank.

Quote from: "farley2k"

True but that doesn't mean that DoD 2 (which is sort of what  DoD:Source is) is necessary.

As someone on the fence is just makes sense for me to buy the cheapest and then buy DoD if I want it later.  There doesn't seem to be a downside unless DoD costs more to buy separatley.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2004, 07:34:47 AM »

Has there been any screenshots of DoD:S?
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2004, 01:25:38 PM »

Quote from: "weeskwee"
i spent $8 for a chicken bowl and a large coke for lunch on monday. and it was gone in half an hour. i put $10 of gas in my car and it doesnt even fill 1/4 of the tank.

Don't put it in perspective!

smile

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2004, 05:33:19 PM »

Well techincally it wasnt good perspective as you need to food to survive and not a game...well some of us anyways smile

morlac00 on PSN
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2004, 01:51:26 AM »

If you can't stand the idiots on the server then the answer is to find a good server.  The server I play on all the time is great.  Usually 3/4 of the players belong to the server's clan/guild and usually at least 4 or 5 people have admin powers.  If you screw around you get  1 warning and then you are gone.  Most of the people are over 20 anyways so it's quite mature.  I never play on any other server.

So what is the best WWII multiplayer?  Someone mentioned  Red Orchestra which I have not yet played.  Someone mentioned MOH multiplayer which I think is a steaming POS.  I've seen movies of COD multiplayer.  The animation is amazing but is the gameplay realistic like DOD?  I think the DoD team have practically honed this mod to perfection.
I like most people am a little upset over having to pay for what used to be a free mod  but I think once it comes out it will be THE best WWII multiiplay bar none.  There will be other free mods come out but they are going to be starting at square one and will have to go through all the growing pains that DOD did.
I'm absolutely positive that I will be able to get 10$ of play time out of DOD,  Heck, even if I only played it for a couple of hours that would still be cheaper than going to see a movie!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: