http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 06:24:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Day of Defeat & Natural Selection source?  (Read 1005 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2005, 11:26:31 PM »

Any word on these? They were really why I picked up HL2. Ive not touched it since finishing it. I really thought the first one was a lot better. And Ive played CS and DMC till Im sick of them. Whats taking so long with DoD and NS?

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 12:32:44 AM »

As far as DoD:S, I haven't read anymore than 'they're working on it', which is depressing to me since I'M waiting on TFC:S which I'm sure won't be worked on till DoD:S is done..if then.

About NS:S, I have read that they will shortly start work on it, since they have pretty much finished the HL version.  The thing is, since they want it out ASAP, it will be a straight port.  After the port is done, then they plan to add Source engine upgrades little by little.  So the initial Source version will not be anything new.
Crowley
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 12:40:07 AM »

Flayra and the team behind NS are officially calling NSSOURCE a 'very real possibility', though nothing is concrete. Theyre already bogged down with a stand alone product thats based on NS, as well as a patch for 3.0.

Personally, I cannot see what source can bring to either of these games. Yes, its got ragdolls, yes its got nice physics but these factors really dont matter in these mods.

There are two things in the world I can't stand: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 06:17:44 AM »

Better lighting would be the key feature of NS Source.

NS maps rely on lighting, and Half-Life's lighting engine, while great for its time, is lacking now.

There's also many features they wanted in NS before, but couldn't do due to the limits of the HL1 engine, in Source, I'm sure there's things.  In effect, they could drastically alter the game just be implementing a feature how they originally intended it.  Things like Fades blinking through walls, cloaking aliens having a predator effect instead of being transparent.

One major problem they had in HL1 was that there were only like 2 types of hitboxes (the invisible boxes around a model that determines when it collides with the world and where he is hit by weapon fire), so everything was either a large human sized box, or a half human box (skulks).  The Onos was just a human hitbox, which brought about all sorts of problems.

They can also do more interesting things to maps, like having the marines take a dropship in instead of the base being partially setup.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2005, 07:55:26 AM »

Is Natural Selection (for HL1) worth the download?

Actually, what mods appearing in Steam are worth the download?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Crowley
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2005, 09:22:19 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Is Natural Selection (for HL1) worth the download?

Actually, what mods appearing in Steam are worth the download?

NS is not for everyone. Its a tactics meets twitch based combat game that I garantee youve never played before (even in savage). It takes time to get into it, to know what stuff does and how crap works. The learning curve pays off into a 10fold funner game than anything else on the market if you master it, though.

edit: as far as im concerned, there are no other HL1 mods.

There are two things in the world I can't stand: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
me
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2005, 11:32:28 PM »

I enjoy a game of The Battle Grounds every now and then. One shot muskets require a little different tactics than your normal FPS.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2005, 11:55:32 PM »

goddamn i played some  DOD yesterday and while still fun, I NEED that source update. Thats right, I need it. SOmething bad will happen if I dont get it. I am not sure what yet, but it will.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: