http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 06:42:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dawn of War Skirmish Mode  (Read 5262 times)
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2005, 10:50:58 PM »

I have been playing a lot of skirmish games lately, and one thing I have noticed that is somewhat frustrating to me is that no matter how big the map, the computer player always starts right next to me.

I like some time to build up and explore before I have to deal with constant assaults.  But since the computer players are always next to me, the game is always over too fast.

Is there some setting I am not getting or something?  It doesn't seem to matter which player slot I assign the computer players to either.  I would think that if I set it to player 8, and player 8 is the opposite side of the map from player 1, that he would have a long trip to get to me.  But he is always always always right next to me!

When there's no more room in hell, Jack Thompson will walk the earth.
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 11:57:44 PM »

Map placement is by which slot you're in, at least it was before.

Make sure you choose "Random Start Locations", it's not as random as you think, since it'll look at which people are teammates, and place them on opposite sides of the map.
Chaplin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005, 12:59:51 AM »

There should be an option for "fixed" or random start locations.  If it is set to fixed, the player start will tie the number on the map the the numbered slot counting down the list (ie the third spot down would be player start number 3 on the mini map).

This is handy information for when you want to do a 2v2 on a 3v3 sized map but don't want two allies and one enemy all starting next to each other.  To avoid this do "fixed" then: you the player, computer ally, closed slot, computer enemy, computer enemy, closed slot.
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2005, 01:13:02 AM »

Thanks!  That was probably what I was doing wrong.  I kept setting up the computer player in slot 2 or something, and of course 2 is near 1.

I never tried the random locations either.  I will have to try that also.

I just tried it out, setting the orks across the map, and it worked like a charm.  Now to get back in there and slaughter those greenskins!

One thing I wish they would add to the random computer opponent drop down is a selection for random chaos/order slot.  It feels a little wierd fighting other imperial gaurds or space marines...  Eldar, would of course be included in both, because I think they fight whomever they feel like on a particular day.  But I don't think Imperial Guard fight Space Marines much...

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2005, 01:45:31 AM »

Actually, Space Marines are often called to exterminate practically anything that the emperor wishes.  Obliterating a planet usually means having to fight through the local militia.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2005, 02:10:53 AM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Actually, Space Marines are often called to exterminate practically anything that the emperor wishes.  Obliterating a planet usually means having to fight through the local militia.

I don't think the SM's have squared off against the Imperial Guard.  Certainly rogue PDF forces (the milita) but not the army of the Imperium itself (unless a whole regiment was somehow tainted).  The IG would be utterly outclassed.

Eldar fight whoever based on the whim of the Farseers.  They always have a reason (even if it isn't clear).  Chaos delights in killing whatever moves, especially different cults unless they are aligned for a Black Crusade.  Orks just love blood and will happily kill their own buddy if they are bored enough.

As far as obliterating a planet, Inquisitors have the authority to order exterminatus on a world.  This would mean an orbital bombardment and virus bombs, which would kill everything on the planet and incenerate all the oxygen.  Scorched earth at its finest!

The IG is used to take or hold a valuable world you might not want to render uninhabitable.  Only in really desperate times is the Adeptus Astartes called in.  They are autonomous and pretty much do their own thing (with the exception of the Grey Knights and Deathwatch which serve the Inquisition).

Sorry to ramble on and on, but I really like 40k and don't know a soul that shares my fondness smile

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Luke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 02:42:44 AM »

That's really neat info, stiffler, thanks for posting it.  I remember an exterminatus being mentioned during the original campaign.  Talk about a character having a dark past.

Shame the story in Winter Assault isn't as engaging as the one in
Dawn of War.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 05:34:00 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"

I don't think the SM's have squared off against the Imperial Guard.  Certainly rogue PDF forces (the milita) but not the army of the Imperium itself (unless a whole regiment was somehow tainted).  The IG would be utterly outclassed.

Eldar fight whoever based on the whim of the Farseers.  They always have a reason (even if it isn't clear).  Chaos delights in killing whatever moves, especially different cults unless they are aligned for a Black Crusade.  Orks just love blood and will happily kill their own buddy if they are bored enough.

As far as obliterating a planet, Inquisitors have the authority to order exterminatus on a world.  This would mean an orbital bombardment and virus bombs, which would kill everything on the planet and incenerate all the oxygen.  Scorched earth at its finest!

The IG is used to take or hold a valuable world you might not want to render uninhabitable.  Only in really desperate times is the Adeptus Astartes called in.  They are autonomous and pretty much do their own thing (with the exception of the Grey Knights and Deathwatch which serve the Inquisition).

Sorry to ramble on and on, but I really like 40k and don't know a soul that shares my fondness smile

Dude are you kidding? I am fascinated with the universe after playing Dawn of War and Winter Assault. Please, tell me a little more about the Titans. What exactly are they supposed to be? What role do they fill.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 06:30:42 AM »

Great info stiffler.  Who are the adeptus astertes?  You also mentioned the grey knights and deathwatch, are those SM chapters?
Chaplin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 06:31:36 AM »

If you like the story...

Check out Storm of Iron

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/184416103X/002-7754792-6748057?v=glance&n=283155&n=507846&s=books&v=glance

Most of the 40k novels are pretty blah, but this one lets you see 3 of the sides in DoW and some serious Titan action to boot.  The Guant's Ghost books are good too, but I personally like McNeil's books more as they have a lot more action.  Almost non-stop action.  I consider Storm of Iron to be kinda like a Black Hawk Down (lots of action driven story) 40k book.  Writting is a little weaker than the Ghost ones, but still much better than most 40k books and the Ghost ones can get rather dull for long stretches.

Very good read if you want 40k fluff.  Likely will polish it off in a week or less.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 12:28:28 PM »

OK.  Just want to chime in and say that before Dawn of War (the game), I used to look at the 40K stuff in the comic book stores and think it was the most stupid thing ever.  Orks in space?  How lame!!!

Then, I played the game.  Everything changed for me.  After Winter Assault was released, I went to the bookstore and found all the Warhammer 40k books.  I had NO IDEA where to start (there are tons of them), and ended up getting the one called Dawn of War by a guy named Soto, or something like that.  I have no idea if it's a good book, bad book, representative, not representative of the universe.  I do know that 50 pages in I am so hooked I can't believe it!  The Space Marines are portrayed as such total badasses it's unreal.  I love it.

ANY recommendation of where to go from here (after I finish this book) would be awesome.  Is there a "beginning" to these books?  This fluff stuff is just great.

Thanks.

LD

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2005, 07:28:15 PM »

Does anyone remember the squad based tactical Warhammer 40k game for the ps1?  That was my first introduction to the 40k universe, and it hooked me back then (even with the goofy land shark baddies).  Something about the mythology of the universe is really interesting to me.  There are a ton of references to biblical figures and angels that I've always found interesting too. Heck, in the DOW original campaign the  Force commander's name was Gabriel.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2005, 08:44:07 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
OK.  Just want to chime in and say that before Dawn of War (the game), I used to look at the 40K stuff in the comic book stores and think it was the most stupid thing ever.  Orks in space?  How lame!!!

Then, I played the game.  Everything changed for me.  After Winter Assault was released, I went to the bookstore and found all the Warhammer 40k books.  I had NO IDEA where to start (there are tons of them), and ended up getting the one called Dawn of War by a guy named Soto, or something like that.  I have no idea if it's a good book, bad book, representative, not representative of the universe.  I do know that 50 pages in I am so hooked I can't believe it!  The Space Marines are portrayed as such total badasses it's unreal.  I love it.

ANY recommendation of where to go from here (after I finish this book) would be awesome.  Is there a "beginning" to these books?  This fluff stuff is just great.

Thanks.

LD

Hmm I will be looking for this book immediately.
scandec
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2005, 02:32:20 AM »

Quote from: "Roguetad"
Great info stiffler.  Who are the adeptus astertes?  You also mentioned the grey knights and deathwatch, are those SM chapters?

Grey Knights are a special chapter of Space Marines devoted to serving the Inquisition. They are specially trained and equiped to hunt daemons. If you want to learn more about the Inquisition, the Eisenhorn Trilogy is great. The books are named after the three branches, or Ordo's, of the Inquisition, Hereticus, Xenos and Malleus. And Adeptes Astartes is the official name of the Space Marine chapters.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2005, 03:01:39 AM »

Quote from: "Roguetad"

The Adeptus Astartes are the Space Marines.  Just the fancy name for them.

The Grey Knights are a Space Marine chapter and act as the military arm of Ordo Malleus (demonhunting arm of the Inquisition).  They are rumored to be made from the gene seed of the Emperor himself, and unlike other chapters they are all psykers.

The Deathwatch are the military arm of the Ordo Xenos (investigate alien races).  They are unique in that they are made up entirely of Space Marines from other chapters "on loan" to the Inquisition.

Since I mentioned the other parts of the Inquisition, there is also the Ordo Hereticus, which hunts heritics, rogue psykers, and corrupt members of the Ecclesiarchy.  The often utilize the Adepta Sororitas, or Sisters of Battle, which is the military arm of the Ecclisiarchy.  The Ecclisiarchy being the Imperial Cult, (the church, in which everybody worships the Emperor).

About titans...  This is the best description I have of them "A titan is a gargantuan land-battleship powered by advanced technology. Its armored carapace is capable of withstanding heavy damage whilst its armaments can level whol cities. The titans are one of the most potent weapons in the arsenal of the Imperium. Within each Titan a crew of dozens or even hundereds of individuals scrurry about their tasks, propelling, refueling and maintaining the giant machine, manning its mighty weapons and guiding it over the battle field."  The graphic novel compilation is aptly titled Titan: God Machine.

As for books, the reviews for Dawn of War are actually pretty weak, simply because CS Goto is locked into following the basic plot of the game.  The Graham McNeill books are supposed to be very good, though I haven't yet started them.  I haven't read Dan Abnett's "Gaunt's Ghost" books, though I thouroughly enjoyed his Eisenhorn Trilogy.

There really isn't a "starting point."  You can either pick up the background as you go or dig a little deeper through the various official background material, web sites, or other novels that pique your fancy.

If you are interested in the Space Marines I think McNeill's books are an excellent start.  While "Storm of Iron" (mentioned above) is a standalone book, it is actually a side-story between books two and three of the Ultramarines/Urile Ventris stories.

The PS1 game was, I believe, Space Hulk.  A squad of Space Marines in Terminator armor against Genestealers.  The PS2 had Fire Warrior, a shitty FPS where you play as a Tau Fire Warrior against the Imperial Guard and Chaos forces.

The mythology is all over the place, but it tends to touch on a lot of mythologies, especially for names.  A lot of the Imperial Cult stuff leans heavily towards a Christianity theme (the Emperor as the Messiah, everything will be a-ok when he "returns").  And yes, a lot of the names are biblical.  Finally, there is a lot of Latin thrown around.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2005, 04:57:11 AM »

So, does the Emperor actually exist? Who controls/commands the Space Marines? Are they human? I know they are genetically engineered but still. Does Gabriel Angelos from Dawn of War exist in the books? How does the heirarchy of the military work?

I know, too many questions!  :wink:
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2005, 06:51:09 AM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
So, does the Emperor actually exist? Who controls/commands the Space Marines? Are they human? I know they are genetically engineered but still. Does Gabriel Angelos from Dawn of War exist in the books? How does the heirarchy of the military work?

I know, too many questions!  :wink:

The Emperor exists.  He conquered Earth (Holy Terra) during 30,000 or so using genetically enhanced warriors which, with the help of the Tech Priests on Mars, later became the Space Marines.  A few thousand years later there was a civil war, known as the Horus Heresy, in which half the Space Marines turned against the Emperor.  He fought against Horus, the leader of the traitors (and one of the "sons" he created) and was mortally wounded.  At this point he "ascended" to the Golden Throne where he remains, apparently somewhere between living and dead.  He's psychic energy now fuels the Astronomican which allows ships to navigate the warp.

The Space Marines are human, just like you and I, but they have undergone massive gene therapy.  Each chapter has gene seed from one of the 20 primarchs (those cloned sons of his) and each is unique and mutated in one way or another (though the Ultramarines gene seed is most stable and used in most later foundings).  For example, the Blood Angels have a flaw in which they can break under stress, believing they are Sanguinas himself as they relive his final battle and eventual death at the hands of Horus (Sanguinas was protecting the Emperor and bought him time and an opening to defeat Horus).  The primarchs were scattered throughout the galaxy and grew up in distant worlds, becoming unique to their surroundings.  That is why each chapter is a bit different.  Rogal Dorn, to name one, grew up to be a great knight before the Emperor came to reclaim him.

So yes, they are human, but have undergone the gene therapy and recieved extra organs and implants such as the black carapace (which acts as an interface to their power armor).  Each Space Marine is implanted with progenoid glands which mature as they age.  The main duty of the apothocary, by the way, is to harvest these glands from the dead Space Marines so they can implant the seed into new recruits and keep the chapter going.

Humanity worships the Emperor as a (kinda) living God.  It's THE religion, and you are either faithful or a heretic.  Incidentally, the Adeptus Mechanicus (tech priests of Mars, who build and operate everything high-tech) worship the Machine God, or Omnissiah, which is believed to be an aspect of the Emperor.  Titans, incidentally, are part of the Adeptus Mechanicus forces (yes, they have their own military forces as well).

I believe Gabriel Angelos was created for the game.

The military heirarchy...  I'm not sure what you are looking for there.  The military command structure is the same as our regular armed forces  The Imperial Guard and Imperial Fleet are seperate branches (and always bickering).

Space Marines are independent and have their own fleets, armories, and support personnel.  A Chapter Master controls each chapter.  I'm not sure anybody outside of the Emperor really "controls" them.  That said, they are sworn to protect humanity and will go where they are needed.  The Space Marines are more of a rapid strike force or used when things get out of hand.  They are usually involved in their own crusades.

The chain of command would be something along the lines of Emperor -> High Lords of Terra -> Segmentum Command -> Sector Command -> Planetary Governor.

Inquisitors act with the authority of the Emperor Himself and can do pretty much as they damned well please.

I actually like the questions and the opportunity to talk about it.  Like I said, I don't know anybody that cares about this stuff so it's fun.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2005, 08:45:57 AM »

My friend is used to be very big into 40k, one thing he told me that was interesting about the emperor is that it takes 7 souls fed to him daily (or monthly?) to keep him alive.  This was from a way earlier edition, so I'm not sure if it's true anymore.
Chaplin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2005, 09:58:09 AM »

The Dawn of War book got some pretty so so reviews.  I have not read it, but as mentioned here it seems the story was a bit confined by the game.  Good books might make good games or movies, but rarely if ever the other way around.

Universally across several review sites you will see the Guants Ghosts and the McNeil (Storm of Iron and Ultramar series) come up pretty much on top.  I have read parts of both (and several other BL books) and find McNeil's more entertaining in that there is a ton of action without being at the cost of story.  Storm is my favorite so far.  The Ghosts books are a bit slower, but have a slightly more solid-ish feel to them.  

As a comparison McNeil tends to have a massive battle be the whole of the book with small parts, skirmishes, command meetings, scoutings, and so on be the setting of the story (kinda like the movie Black Hawk Down).  The First Ghost book is more of a Spy book set in the 40k universe.

Where to start?  It doesnt matter.  I would suggest avoiding the Amazon review sections though, a few spoilers are in them which could ruin some moments.   Basically, don't start in the middle of a trilogy or something.  Storm is a stand alone book whereas there are like 7 or so Ghost books.

Of all the Black Library books I have read, if I had to tell someone to read just one book, Storm of Iron would be it.  And if you like Titans, read that book for sure.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2005, 03:23:45 PM »

I'm kind of surprised that relic decided to spotlight the IG in the expansion.  From all of the available source material that stiffler has mentioned, I think an expansion campaign based on another space marine chapter, one of the inquisitor branches, or even the eldar, chaos marines or orks would've been more interesting.  Don't get me wrong, the expansion is definitely welcome, but man, there's a ton of great material out there and relic went with the relatively conventional IG.

I would love to see modular campaign add-ons that would spotlight some of the different chapters in their own single-player campaigns, similar to releasing D&D modules.  Make the modules available via download, and maybe charge $15-25 for each.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2005, 06:30:58 PM »

I'm waiting for Dawn of War 2.  You just know they're making one using the Company of Heroes engine.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2005, 07:03:34 PM »

I'm waiting for Dawn of War 2.  You just know they're making one using the Company of Heroes engine.

Yeah, I'm fairly sure thats "common knowledge" you know, in a totally under the table way. The first was a big seller, the IP is hot, the Company of Heroes engine looks freaking spectacular, and I can't wait for a sequel!!

Speaking of which, after having more time to really think about the IG as the new race, while I like them and what they have to offer, I am more and more dissapointed that they were the race chosen. In retrospect, other than 2-3 cool vehicular units, I found them pretty unappealing as a playable race.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2005, 08:18:20 PM »

My friend is used to be very big into 40k, one thing he told me that was interesting about the emperor is that it takes 7 souls fed to him daily (or monthly?) to keep him alive.  This was from a way earlier edition, so I'm not sure if it's true anymore.

I think they feed him the essence of 1000 psykers a day.  I guess he would expire otherwise?  He's not really alive or dead, he is just psychic energy now I think.  Not real sure why they keep the body around, but I think they expect him to arise in mankind's darkest hour.

Speaking of which, after having more time to really think about the IG as the new race, while I like them and what they have to offer, I am more and more dissapointed that they were the race chosen. In retrospect, other than 2-3 cool vehicular units, I found them pretty unappealing as a playable race.

I think the Tau would make a great addition to the series.  The unit appearances would really appeal to a lot of people I think.  The Fire Warriors look cool and they use Battlesuits and armor that look like something out of Macross.  Unfortunately they would probably play EXACTLY like the Imperial Guard.  They rely on better technology, are very "shooty," and will be absolutely massacred in close-combat.  On the other hand, Tyranids would be a very cool close-combat force.  At the end of the day the Space Marines are the jack-of-all-trades with equally impressive ranged and close combat abilities.

I think they merely needed to get the IG introduced and out of the way.  The IG is in the original campaing for a mission or two so it probably didn't take much to expand that.  Hopefully they will be focusing their energies on DoW 2 after Company of Heroes comes out!

Luke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2005, 08:59:18 PM »

I think the Tau would make a great addition to the series.  The unit appearances would really appeal to a lot of people I think.  The Fire Warriors look cool and they use Battlesuits and armor that look like something out of Macross.  Unfortunately they would probably play EXACTLY like the Imperial Guard.  They rely on better technology, are very "shooty," and will be absolutely massacred in close-combat.  On the other hand, Tyranids would be a very cool close-combat force.  At the end of the day the Space Marines are the jack-of-all-trades with equally impressive ranged and close combat abilities.

Wait a second...the Tau play similarly to the IG, and yet Relic chose to go with the boring race!  Man, that sucks.  I know they wanted to achieve a specific playstyle, but if they could have done it with a race like the Tau, then why didn't they?  Apparently none of the IG art from the original campaign is recycled in Winter Assault, BTW, so that rules out your explanation.

As far as the Tyranids go...meh.  I've already played the Zerg extensively, and they're not quite apples and oranges.  My Giger/Paul Verhoeven-esque alien army quota has been filled.  Give me some of the other interesting races in the next game, but leave out the IG and the Tyranid.  I'm totally loving the look and apparent playstyle of <um...SPOILER?>
the Necrons
</um...SPOILER?> and the Tau, Relic.  Hint hint.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2005, 09:40:36 PM »

Quote from: "Luke"

Wait a second...the Tau play similarly to the IG, and yet Relic chose to go with the boring race!  Man, that sucks.  I know they wanted to achieve a specific playstyle, but if they could have done it with a race like the Tau, then why didn't they?  Apparently none of the IG art from the original campaign is recycled in Winter Assault, BTW, so that rules out your explanation.

As far as the Tyranids go...meh.  I've already played the Zerg extensively, and they're not quite apples and oranges.  My Giger/Paul Verhoeven-esque alien army quota has been filled.  Give me some of the other interesting races in the next game, but leave out the IG and the Tyranid.  I'm totally loving the look and apparent playstyle of the Necrons and the Tau, Relic.  Hint hint.

Eh, I really didn't care for the
Spoiler for Hiden:
necrons
. You really might want to spoiler that out man, some people havent finished the campaign, and its not advertised that they are the secret race.
Luke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2005, 10:06:25 PM »

SPOILERS:

I don't see how my post tied the Necrons to the Winter Assault campaign in any way.  Nevertheless, as you wish.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2005, 10:31:07 PM »

Quote from: "Luke"
SPOILERS:

I don't see how my post tied the Necrons to the Winter Assault campaign in any way.  Nevertheless, as you wish.

Jolly good show mate smile
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2005, 11:09:08 PM »

Yeah, those things mentioned in your spoiler are really creepy.  I haven't gotten to them yet (for shame!) but I look forward to seeing what they do with them.  Now there is a race that could really wage war.  I don't know how they work in the game, but there is a boatload of interesting stuff they could do with them.  Wonder if they have Pariahs.  EEK!

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2005, 11:15:21 PM »

Yeah, those things mentioned in your spoiler are really creepy.  I haven't gotten to them yet (for shame!) but I look forward to seeing what they do with them.  Now there is a race that could really wage war.  I don't know how they work in the game, but there is a boatload of interesting stuff they could do with them.  Wonder if they have Pariahs.  EEK!

They are unfortunately not very well used and don't really do anything interesting rather than be really powerful, although they are pretty cool when you first run into them.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2005, 11:16:48 PM »

They are unfortunately not very well used and don't really do anything interesting rather than be really powerful, although they are pretty cool when you first run into them.

As long as their weapons give off an eerie green ambient light I'll be happy enough.  Seriously, with all these textures available I hope we will see some interesting mods in the next few months.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2005, 11:19:17 PM »

As long as their weapons give off an eerie green ambient light I'll be happy enough.  Seriously, with all these textures available I hope we will see some interesting mods in the next few months.

They do smile
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2005, 12:12:12 PM »

Hey, thanks for all the info and the book recommendations.  I will go out and get them when I am finished with Dawn of War.  Since it's my first experience reading anything in the universe, I am still enjoying the crap out of it, even if it's considered an average story at best.

I really like the Librarian character in the book.  There is alot going on in the story already, and I am not that far in (slow reader).  It's kind of cool reading about different things and knowing what they are  (Librarian, Chaplain, Space Marines, IG, Sentinals, Droppods, Bolter guns, Power Armor, the FarSeer, Wraithlords, Bashees, Exarchs, Avatar, Heretics, Chaos Sorcerer, Chaos Lord, etc, etc...).  

Am I right in assuming there are multiple Librarians in existance?  Is there 1 per Marine Chapter, or even more than that?  If someone is termed a "Psyker" or "Sanctioned Psyker" - does that just mean they have like psionic powers or something like that?  

And regarding the book - as "average" as it may be, the writer does a fantastic job (imho) of portraying the Orks as complete and total barbarians who practically worship war for war's sake.  Also, just reading about the Chaos "race" makes me realize just how sick, evil, and twisted they really are.  These guys are just flat wicked.  That type of evil just can't be conveyed in a videogame.  I am totally enjoying it.

One of my favorite parts so far is the description of one of the main characters getting into a fight with a Nob Leader and taking some pretty nasty hits.  The author goes into how his genetically engineered blood instantly self-clots to stop the bleeding and how his superior nervous system just shuts down the pain centers and pain relays to allow him to continue fighting without feeling anything.  Just really, really cool stuff right there.

LD

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2005, 06:27:25 PM »

Hey, thanks for all the info and the book recommendations.  I will go out and get them when I am finished with Dawn of War.  Since it's my first experience reading anything in the universe, I am still enjoying the crap out of it, even if it's considered an average story at best.

I really like the Librarian character in the book.  There is alot going on in the story already, and I am not that far in (slow reader).  It's kind of cool reading about different things and knowing what they are  (Librarian, Chaplain, Space Marines, IG, Sentinals, Droppods, Bolter guns, Power Armor, the FarSeer, Wraithlords, Bashees, Exarchs, Avatar, Heretics, Chaos Sorcerer, Chaos Lord, etc, etc...).  

Am I right in assuming there are multiple Librarians in existance?  Is there 1 per Marine Chapter, or even more than that?  If someone is termed a "Psyker" or "Sanctioned Psyker" - does that just mean they have like psionic powers or something like that?  

And regarding the book - as "average" as it may be, the writer does a fantastic job (imho) of portraying the Orks as complete and total barbarians who practically worship war for war's sake.  Also, just reading about the Chaos "race" makes me realize just how sick, evil, and twisted they really are.  These guys are just flat wicked.  That type of evil just can't be conveyed in a videogame.  I am totally enjoying it.

One of my favorite parts so far is the description of one of the main characters getting into a fight with a Nob Leader and taking some pretty nasty hits.  The author goes into how his genetically engineered blood instantly self-clots to stop the bleeding and how his superior nervous system just shuts down the pain centers and pain relays to allow him to continue fighting without feeling anything.  Just really, really cool stuff right there.

LD

Hey LD, can you BN or Amazon link this book so I can get it?
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2005, 07:44:31 PM »

Here you go.  Assuming my link works that is.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1844161528/103-9882484-6861442?v=glance&n=283155&v=glance

LD

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2005, 08:17:23 PM »

Thanks bro.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2005, 10:17:18 PM »

Space Marines have several Librarians.  There are several ranks, and each chapter has a Chief Librarian.  These guys, in addition to being potent psykers, chronicle the history of the chapter, the collected knowledge, and victories and battle honors.

Psykers can tap the power of the Warp and manipulate that energy.  So yes, it's basically like psychic energy.  It can be used in many ways, from telekenisis to reading minds (or making them explode!).  The reason they are dangerous/hunted and must be "sanctioned" is because the daemons live in the Warp.  Frail minds without the willpower or strength can easily fall prey to the Ruinous Powers.  This means a daemon could possess the body, turn them evil, or simply fry their brain and cause the psychic energy to go haywire.  People are generally terrified of psykers.  And yes, the Librarians are psykers.  I'm pretty sure all Inquisitors are psykers (and powerful ones at that).

For info on how Space Marines are "made" check out this link.

There is actually a ton of background here on the UK Games Workshop site.

Oh, and there is a sequel to the Dawn of War book, Dawn of War: Ascension coming November 29.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2005, 11:46:52 PM »

Funny that the UK site is so much better than the US site.  The uk site has a lot of info on each chapter (and info about the different chaos, ork, and eldar groups too).  The art concepts for the eldar on the uk site are not at all what I expected, the females are actually hot, elf-like beings.  

There's even a database applet that has info on both the current SM chapters and the names of the legions that defected to chaos.  Good stuff.  

Based on recommendations, I ordered from amazon:
- Eisenhorn, Dan Abnett
- Storm of Iron, Graham McNeill
- Nightbringer, Graham McNeill
- Warrior Brood, CS Goto
- Angels of Darkness, Gav Thorpe

The Angels of Darkness book didn't get great reviews, but apparently it tells the story of the Dark Angels chapter, to include the reason they bear their current stigma.

Oh, and based on the good info and pics from the GW uk site, I created the Black Templars for my skirmish games.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2005, 01:24:00 AM »

Awesome, awesome info guys. I am going to spend a long time perusing it after football.
Doomboy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2005, 01:28:47 AM »

Well, Winter Assault changed something.  Chaos seems to be completely unbalanced now.  I have played 5 games against them on standard difficulty level, and I have lost 3 of those games.  Doesn't seem to matter what side I pick.  I have played everything but Eldar and Chaos against them.

I managed to win a quick 1 Vs 1 fought over a river because the Chaos Marines decided to cross the river and attempt to get my strategic points, since I had some Space Marines left over after killing their early attack, I just sent them across the river to do what damage they could.  Turned out that they could just stand there slaughtering every unit he put out and slowly taking down his buildings when there weren't any units out.

The other I was the IG, and I barely pulled the victory out at the end by having my baneblade kill his last unit building before they could find my last unit building.  He would have beaten me if I had taken more than another minute to find and destroy his last HQ.

Does anybody have any advice?  I can't seem to find a unit that can kill those pink demon things.  They slaughter everything, and seem to take no damage.  The Chaos Marines seem to be able to take more damage than Space Marines can too.  The Defiler also seems pretty indestructable.  I just can't seem to find a reliable counter to their units.  Even my boss characters just get thrown around by the Chaos guys now.

Never used to have so much trouble with them in Dawn of War...

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2005, 01:31:48 AM »

I really enjoyed Eisenhorn.  Be prepared, it might take you a few pages to acclimate yourself to the fact the whole 1000 or so pages is in first-person.  smile  All hail Inquisitor Eisenhorn!  The only Abnett I've read.  His mainstay series, the Gaunt's Ghosts books are highly regarded, but I feel that is a commitment I'm not yet ready to make.  There's like 10 of them and I am curious how he keeps that fresh throughout.

Angels of Darkness is another good book.  You learn quite a bit about the Dark Angels.  How they were, how they are now, and how they got there.  The kind of book that was tremendously satisfying once you finish it and look back and the background.  Might seem slow in places, but I think it serves its purpose.  Plus it has a nice cover!

Have the Graham McNeill books on my shelf.  Almost started them the other night but got sidetracked reading some stories from the various anthologies.  Storm of Iron, as mentioned previously, is standalone, though in the Ultramarines book list it would go third (Nightbringer being the first).  I don't think it's necessary to read it like that, but that's where it fits to bridge books 2 and 3 through a secondary character (or so I hear).

I plan to pick up Warrior Brood in the future.  Apparently those are about a Deathwatch team.  That is, a unit serving the Ordo Xenos made up of Space Marines from various chapters.  That should make for some interesting reading.  I think there is a second book coming out next year.

Black Templars are getting a big push in the table top game.  A lot of new units and background coming out for them.  They are like medieval crusaders in their looks, with those iron crosses, tabards, and the fact they are all on a permanent crusade to prove their worth.  The black armor also looks great.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: