http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 08:25:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dawn of War - General  (Read 2046 times)
GreenGoo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2004, 01:37:18 AM »

Ok, I'm going into GG forum withdrawl.  Anyone playing this still?  Any exploits?

I've started playing Orkz again but I just can't beat an insane ai with them.  Last game got to trakks and I even got a Kan out but still lost to the crafty spikey boyz.

Played 2 ranked games tonight as Orkz.  Lost the first one to Marines on fallen city to take and hold.  I kinda lost track of the time and time ran out as I was about 5 secs from capturing a control point.  He had me pinned in my base.  I managed to get some trakks out but he had missiles.  A lot of attrition in that one.

Second one was a win vs eldar on battle marshes.  A couple of back and forthes, both of us losing our heroes.  He left me to tech and I pumped out 5 tracks.  I led with 2 squads fighting juiced sluggas and tore open a defensive position that had at LEAST 5 shuriken platforms.  If they had been brightlances (as any normal player would have made) I would have been screwed.  But they weren't, I overrode his entrenchment and his base was wide open.  He had an almost 1200 rating, which is weird because of his rookie mistake.

Anyone want to play some games tomorrow night?

The Goo formerly known as AHardPlace
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 06:46:21 PM »

I have the game but don't have the time for multiplayer matches, unfortunately.

You may want to check out the Multiplayer Gaming forum and see if anyone there is interested.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 07:33:56 PM »

Tell me more about the SINGLE PLAYER portion of this game. I loved the multiplayer beta and played it a bunch but with the flood of new games I never did anythign other than play the single player demo (Which was good, but not fantastic) and then move on. So is the campaign any good? How long, etc?
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 07:44:16 PM »

I picked it up a week ago... but so far I've not gotten past the tutorial. I'm getting my butt consistenly handed back to me by Chaos marines. I figure... hey, if I can't beat the tutorial, what hope do I have in beating the SP game? hehehe.  smile
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 07:50:07 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Tell me more about the SINGLE PLAYER portion of this game. I loved the multiplayer beta and played it a bunch but with the flood of new games I never did anythign other than play the single player demo (Which was good, but not fantastic) and then move on. So is the campaign any good? How long, etc?

The campaign is short. I'm on mission 5, I believe there are 11 missions total. If you were expecting some epic storyline along the lines of the Homeworld series then you're going to be dissappointed. OTOH, the sp campaign is about as long as Homeworld 2's. I personally think it's pretty decent story-wise.

However, once the map and mod tools come out all those crazy w:40k fans are going to go nuts with it... so I'd expect maybe 1-3 really excellent user-made campaigns. There's some crazy guy who's going to add all the races.

The real meat of the game is the skirmish and mp, which as you know is absolutely SEXCELLENT.  Skirmish is pretty fun though, the AI gives you a pretty stiff challenge.

Just Hiro will do.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 09:21:13 PM »

Hopefully the mod tools will come out in time.  I definitely want to play as the Imperial Guard or Tau.
Siljanus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 12:41:13 AM »

I'm near the end of the single player campaign and will be facing the Chaos Marines now.  I'm alternating between Dawn of War and Rome: Total War and currently in the Rome:Total War phase.  But I look forward to finishing up Dawn of War.  Very impressed with it and like the simplified resource management scheme.  I haven't played any skirmish games but I suppose I'll give that a shot next then dive into multilplayer sometime.

Let us be thankful we have an occupation to fill. Work hard, increase production, prevent accidents and be happy.

Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy. And be happy.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 06:41:07 AM »

I managed to finish/win the tutorial and got two missions of the SP campaign under my belt. Now I can clearly see why people are raving about this game... This is a very solid, well-made RTS! I'm hooked on the whole squad dynamic of the game--upgrading squads, coordinating attacks, you name it. I'm also digging the story that's unfolding between the missions. And the way in which the story unfolds (through in-game engine movies) is very reminiscent of Warcraft III, a game I truly enjoyed.

I got the Dawn Of War fever now!  biggrin
Jow
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2004, 03:00:42 PM »

Good game on Infernus last night.  Any of you ever poke your heads in there?
Juntei
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2004, 04:12:37 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Hopefully the mod tools will come out in time.  I definitely want to play as the Imperial Guard or Tau.

Has there been official mention of mod tools?
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2004, 04:42:55 PM »

Having fun with this as well just finished Mission 5. Just put down RTW after beating the long campaign.

I really wish the SP allowed you to play other races. It is amazing that each race has so much potential, but its only used in MP.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2004, 05:03:54 PM »

Relic usually puts out mod tools for all their games.  In fact they've already made mod tools for this engine (it's the same as Incredible Creatures).

However, this is tempered by the fact that this is a licensed property, and GW is usually pretty strict about any licenses.
PR_GMR

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2004, 07:06:25 PM »

I finished Mission 3 last night.. and got a big chuckle out of the Orkz cut-scene before Mission 4. Da Boyz!!!! I still haven't jumped online to try the MP and the other races... but I'm doing so soon.  smile
GreenGoo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2004, 01:10:03 PM »

I'm on xFire as AHardPlace.  Please give me a shout if you want to test the waters online.  We can do a friendly 1v1 so that you can learn the ropes or we can do a comp stomp and coop vs some ai's.  If I'm around I'd be glad to help get people aclimatized to multiplay.

This game really shines in multiplay I feel.  That being said, I think the biggest draw for me is when I zoom in on the little guys trying to knife each other with mono-molecular blades, chainswords, powerclaws and kung fu.  Damn that is sweet.

The Goo formerly known as AHardPlace
Jow
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2004, 02:14:44 PM »

That's one reason watching replays is so cool.  I've probably watched 2-3 times as many replays as I've played real games thus far.  smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: