http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 10:24:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dawn of War 2 sp campaign  (Read 4124 times)
Jeff
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2009, 05:17:11 PM »

Is anyone else currently into the SP campaign of DoW2?

This has been extremely fun for me so far, but it does have some flaws that I want to address.

1. no mid-mission saves - eek. Given that some missions can take close to an hour, I don't like this. Even quitting out of a mission advances the world by a day.

2. no idea how to prep for individual missions. Am I missing something? How do you know which teams to bring along? how to gear for them, etc?

This campaign is going to have a high level of replayability, and I think it might be a good thing if we can share tactics, or maybe have AAR's or something that would give someone an idea of what to expect. Not necessarily plot spoilers, but something like : 'have avitus bring the missile launcher for anti-vehicle'

I've been cheating the system a bit by dragging the campaign save to the desktop as a backup, so I can start the mission over and re-gear if I want to. I'd rather have a mission prep guide of some sort.

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 05:58:03 PM »

Quote from: Jeff on March 31, 2009, 05:17:11 PM

1. no mid-mission saves - eek. Given that some missions can take close to an hour, I don't like this. Even quitting out of a mission advances the world by a day.

I completed the DoW 2 campaign at "Sergeant" difficulty, and the average mission length was less than ten minutes.  I don't know how things change at "Captain" or "Primarch" levels, but the maps are fairly small and have direct objectives -- what is taking up to an hour to complete?

2. no idea how to prep for individual missions. Am I missing something? How do you know which teams to bring along? how to gear for them, etc?

As you capture Communication Arrays, you'll start getting pre-engagement intelligence about what to expect on the ground.  "Target is vulnerable to plasma weapons" or "Target is protected by swarms of infantry," that sort of thing.

This campaign is going to have a high level of replayability, and I think it might be a good thing if we can share tactics, or maybe have AAR's or something that would give someone an idea of what to expect. Not necessarily plot spoilers, but something like : 'have avitus bring the missile launcher for anti-vehicle'

Generally speaking, I used my Force Commander to charge in and knock ranged attackers out from their cover, Avitus to lay down suppressive fire, Cyrus for anti-building demolitions and HVT sniping, and Tarkus for a little of everything.  There are two other playable characters you'll unlock soon enough, but I suspect you'll be comfortable enough with the system to know how to use them. nod

I also liked keeping my Force Commander loaded up with healing items like Stimulant Packs and the Chapter Banner.  He's tough to kill and frequently in the middle of the fray, so it's easy to have him toss off a heal to wounded squad to anyone in range.

-Autistic Angel
Redfive
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 07:06:13 PM »

I'm playing the SP campaign with a friend and we've usually been able to plan out what we want to do during a mission with plenty of success.  We certainly take longer than 10 minutes but I would say somewhat less than 1 hour per mission.

The 'characters' are already fairly specialized and we're pretty much taking them further in the directions they already lean.  I usually handle Tarkus and Avitus, providing ranged supports and my buddy runs the FC and more often Thaddeus for the melee portion.  It works well for us.

Stranger in a strange land.

Gamertag:  red51ve
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 07:49:14 PM »

**sigh***

I wish my PC was able to run this game...

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 01:23:46 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on March 31, 2009, 05:58:03 PM

I completed the DoW 2 campaign at "Sergeant" difficulty, and the average mission length was less than ten minutes.  I don't know how things change at "Captain" or "Primarch" levels, but the maps are fairly small and have direct objectives -- what is taking up to an hour to complete?

I'm playing on Captain, and it's taking a lot longer than that. I really have to advance slowly, or my guys will get smacked down. I do a lot of retreating and replenishing of squad members. If I'm going to take a facility, such as a shrine or a foundry, that alone would take 15 minutes from drop to capture. Also, I tend to play a fury run over speed. Not all my missions take an hour, some take 20-30 minutes, but just last night on Calderis - the greenskin weaponsmith mission took me at least an hour and 15 minutes. There were just endless waves of orks.

As you capture Communication Arrays, you'll start getting pre-engagement intelligence about what to expect on the ground.  "Target is vulnerable to plasma weapons" or "Target is protected by swarms of infantry," that sort of thing.

I've seen that. The clues seem too sparse.

I'm level 9 at the moment, and I think I'm undergeared, especially in armor. Some of my guys still have level 2 crap, and armor ratings of 14. I'm just not getting the drops. Often, when I do get drops, my guys can't use them as the drops are too high a level.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 01:25:57 PM by Jeff » Logged
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 10:08:33 PM »

My guys are around Level 13, bordering on 14 now (except Cyrus, lagging behind at L10). I had breakthrough on gear drops at  around L11, but I still feel undergeared.

On Captain difficulty, this campaign is HARD. Lately, my guys are melting almost instantly. Rippa-Splitta, where your pod drops in the middle of their camp - insta-death. Another (optional) mission where I defend a shrine against tyranids - and my entire crew is overwhelmed on the 2nd wave. I'm not clueless about tactics either. I understand green cover, garrisoning, good use of abilities, etc.

How crucial is it to survive these optional missions and not let days pass?

When does the Dreadnought show up? I already have several Dreadnought gear drops sitting around.

Do some of you just accept your defeats and just take the xp and gear and go for a 2nd (3rd, 4th, 5th) try?

If a mission is available on any planet, does that mean your crew should be skilled & geared enough to handle it, or should some missions be taken before others?

SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 03:56:08 PM »

I didn't do a whole lot of optional missions.  And I just beat the campaign on Captain.  The FC was about... 14?

You get the dread in that quest line where you have to get the bio-sample of the nids.

Also... the final mission of the campaign- EPIC AWESUM.

Just Hiro will do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: