http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 03:18:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dawn of War 2: Retribution - Solo Last Stand! Free to Play MP Weekend!  (Read 5844 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2010, 09:17:26 PM »

a whole new expansion is on it's way. For me the real question is how am I going to feel about DoW2 when I go back from Starcraft 2. I do know one thing though: I'm waiting for it to go on sale; Chaos Rising was cheap pretty quickly.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 02:14:01 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 12:33:48 AM »

My big question is what new race are they adding.  I still haven't picked up Chaos Rising, although I probably will at some point.  I don't particularly like Chaos and never actually finished the original DoW2 campaign (although I had an awful lot of fun duking it out online with the GT/OO crowd when it first came out) so there just wasn't much incentive for me to buy it.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 12:36:12 AM »

Quote from: ydejin on August 18, 2010, 12:33:48 AM

My big question is what new race are they adding. 

they don't have the Tau or Necron in the DoW2 games yet, do they?

Because I can,
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 12:59:44 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 18, 2010, 12:36:12 AM

Quote from: ydejin on August 18, 2010, 12:33:48 AM

My big question is what new race are they adding. 

they don't have the Tau or Necron in the DoW2 games yet, do they?

No they don't.  My best guess though is that they will add in Imperial Guard, because that is supposedly the most popular Tabletop army that is currently not in DoW2.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 06:00:13 AM »

All signs point to a Inquisition army, a combination of Imperial Guard and probably some other Inquisitorial aspects like Sisters of Battle (Adeptus Sororitas, the heretic hunters), Grey Knights (space marine demonhunters chapter equipped with the absolute best gear the imperium can produce), and Deathwatch (alien hunter commando-type space marines).

In fact, in the announcement video for this expansion, they show the new logo for Retribution, and in the logo it uses the Inquisition's special "I" logo.

A lot of people figured that pure Imperial guard wouldn't work all that well in DoW2 since IG is all about huge armies of cannon fodder backed up by heavy hardware. Since Inquisition can call upon IG units at any time, it's a good way of putting more hard units in IGs hands without having to change the scale of the game.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 06:10:51 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 18, 2010, 06:00:13 AM

All signs point to a Inquisition army, a combination of Imperial Guard and probably some other Inquisitorial aspects like Sisters of Battle (Adeptus Sororitas, the heretic hunters), Grey Knights (space marine demonhunters chapter equipped with the absolute best gear the imperium can produce), and Deathwatch (alien hunter commando-type space marines).

In fact, in the announcement video for this expansion, they show the new logo for Retribution, and in the logo it uses the Inquisition's special "I" logo.

A lot of people figured that pure Imperial guard wouldn't work all that well in DoW2 since IG is all about huge armies of cannon fodder backed up by heavy hardware. Since Inquisition can call upon IG units at any time, it's a good way of putting more hard units in IGs hands without having to change the scale of the game.

Well that makes me sad, since I like IG.  You probably would need 15-20 squaddies per squad to make it work though.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 07:28:12 PM »

Here be the Gamescom Trailer, YouTube style:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygBZvEL1zds

I'm more into playing as the marines (whether in this or SC2), and I guess there'll still be some sort of marine campaign to play in this.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 07:32:11 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 08:18:12 PM »

Okay...PIRATE Orcs.

Right there I'm sold. And ya, its obviously going to be Inquisition/Grey Knights/etc for the new race.

However, by making the single player multiple race possibilities, I hope they don't ditch the Diablo aspect of the previous two entries in DoW2. I loved picking up and equipping new loot, evolving my skill trees, etc.

If they are cool enough to actually build that in, and fully flesh it out for each race, then I might actually think this expansion could topple Dark Crusade for best. EVER.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 12:56:00 AM »

Quote from: Pharaoh on August 18, 2010, 08:18:12 PM

If they are cool enough to actually build that in, and fully flesh it out for each race, then I might actually think this expansion could topple Dark Crusade for best. EVER.

I'm optimistically thinking the same thing.   
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 03:26:48 AM »

The loot drops are still there. And you can play any of the races in the single player campaign, including space marines and eldar. They'll all have appropriate loot drops.

Also, unit building is back in the singleplayer campaign, so you'll have a base building similar to multiplayer. You'll control your 4 heroes, alongside any other units you build.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 02:15:03 AM »

no more Games for Windows Live; this will be using Steamworks.

Because I can,
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 04:16:59 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 16, 2010, 02:15:03 AM

Aww...I liked my XBL cheevos.  Also was a good way to proclaim the superiority of PC gaming to all my work buddies on XBL who will only play consoles and give me shit about daring to prefer gaming on the PC.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 05:02:04 AM »

What CeeKay doesn't mention is that the content in DoW2: Retribution won't be patched back into DoW2 and Chaos Rising. Retribution basically becomes its own standalone game.

There is actually a lot more positives in this move than negatives. The only negative is fracturing the community, but since the community has long since been dying due to the crappy way GFWL handles things, moving fully to Steamworks is a positive that totally outweighs the negatives of the switch.

For example, I could actually start making use of the DoW2 Squig Herders steam group, setting up get together or training nights, and you guys could join us in a lobby or games just by visiting the steam page for it, instead of having to bounce between Steam and GFWL trying to figure things out.

Oh and if you get Retribution, you get access to all 6 DoW2 armies, the original 5, and the new Inquisition based army.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 06:57:23 PM »

a little video about the Tyrannid campaign.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 11:04:05 AM »

story trailer.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 06:57:05 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on September 16, 2010, 04:16:59 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on September 16, 2010, 02:15:03 AM

Aww...I liked my XBL cheevos.  Also was a good way to proclaim the superiority of PC gaming to all my work buddies on XBL who will only play consoles and give me shit about daring to prefer gaming on the PC.
I have an old bud who works at Blizzard (just a tech support grunt, I think), and you'd think he of all people would be a PC gamer. But generally he won't buy anything but XBox360 and XBLA titles anymore -- if I recommend something on Steam, he still chases down the XBLA version, even though the whole reason I recommended it was so we could play some co-op via Steam. I think he just got tired of the upgrade game.

He doesn't see the irony, though of course if he wants to play a Blizzard title he has to suck it up and go back to his PC. icon_razz

I still haven't opened my DoW2 Chaos Rising box. I just can't keep up with all the DoW2 titles anymore.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 06:59:01 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 08:25:53 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on December 22, 2010, 06:57:05 PM

I still haven't opened my DoW2 Chaos Rising box. I just can't keep up with all the DoW2 titles anymore.

If you're interested in the single player experience, Chaos Rising is a great expansion...and a cool story.  I wholeheartedly recommend getting started before Retribution arrives.  It's not terribly long either, you can complete it over a week of casual play (if that).  And the best part is that you can follow up your first play through with a pro-Emperor or pro-chaos slant for a quick 2nd play through.  I liked the Chaos Rising campaign better than the original campaign, it felt more like I was playing a 40k novel.  
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 03:19:48 PM »

haters of multiple collectors editions are going to hate this:  there are going to be six race specific packs available for pre-order,  of course the stuff will be available for purchase as DLC after the game is released.

Because I can,
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 03:37:20 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 07, 2011, 03:19:48 PM

haters of multiple collectors editions are going to hate this:  there are going to be six race specific packs available for pre-order,  of course the stuff will be available for purchase as DLC after the game is released.

I'm rather annoyed.  But if you get the "Collector's Edition" it includes the stuff in all six race-specific packs.  Unfortunately it's not available for digital purchase and is only available from the THQ.com store (for delivery, since it's not a digital download).
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 08:50:49 AM »

the MP beta is supposed to start the 31st, and if you pre-ordered off of Steam you're in.

Because I can,
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »

All that DLC stuff is just for the single player, so don't worry too much about it.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 09:56:13 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 19, 2011, 09:47:00 AM

All that DLC stuff is just for the single player, so don't worry too much about it.

meh - I only play singleplayer...and I'm annoyed by it.. I hope it will be the same as I've seen before in Denmark, in that due to lack of different retailers, we get it all from Gamestop in one package.

A new one
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 10:14:51 AM »

It's likely you'll find better gear during the campaign.

I'm really looking forward to all the changes to the multiplayer though. On OO, we have a small group of regulars that play and we're all getting tired of GFWL and other aspects of the system.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 05:39:29 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on January 19, 2011, 09:56:13 AM

Quote from: Turtle on January 19, 2011, 09:47:00 AM

meh - I only play singleplayer...and I'm annoyed by it.. I hope it will be the same as I've seen before in Denmark, in that due to lack of different retailers, we get it all from Gamestop in one package.

All the DLC wargear is being sold on Steam after release so I doubt it will be offered unless you buy the collectors edition.  Considering all the wargear drops from the first two campaigns I doubt the items will stay viable long after starting anyways so I wouldn't dwell on it much.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2011, 12:36:40 PM »

Beta Keys now available to anyone who has an account at the official Dawn of War Community Website.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2011, 11:02:25 PM »

anyone can sign up for the beta now, plus Steam Dawn of War owners get access too.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2011, 08:19:30 PM »

here's the launch trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MFcIyyC7R0

Because I can,
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2011, 06:02:11 PM »

Cross-posting my impressions from OO.

Chris and I started up the Chaos campaign last night and while we're only three missions in we were both pretty impressed. While it's true that the campaign isn't quite up to par with Chaos Rising it is loads better than Dark Crusade. The very first mission sees Eliphas acting much more like he did in Dark Crusade with a lot of personality and charisma. As you pick up heroes they are assigned to your Co-op ally if you have one but after capturing shrines you are also able to build additional units. Units and in mission hero upgrades are purchased from a shared pool between you and your ally. Units purchased during a mission are not carried over to the next. One thing I found interesting is that heretics in the campaign have a melee weapon upgrade they don't online.

The between mission briefings from DoWII and Chaos Rising return. The briefing following the first mission was suitably epic and wouldn't have been out of place in Chaos Rising. The next two missions weren't quite as in depth but there is still a lot of in mission chatter and personality going around.

If the other campaigns are put together this well there is going to be a lot of replay value here for $30 just in single player alone.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2011, 06:15:37 PM »

Sorry if this has been answered before, but does the SP have a campaign map a la Dark Crusade and Soulstorm?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2011, 06:24:35 PM »

Does the campaign feel more like a standard build and fight rts with active building and unit micromanagement now that you can build structures?  Or is it still more on the action rts side controlling heroes and units and their special abilities?  I liked that direction in DoW2 and Chaos Rising, and wasn't excited to read that they added building micro into the expansion campaigns.   
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2011, 06:35:42 PM »

There is a map but it's nothing like the territory maps from Dark Crusade and Soulstorm.  It plays very much like the DoW2 campaigns in that you occasionally get to choose which star system/mission you play next.  So far as Chaos they are impressively diverse and story driven.

Quote from: Roguetad on March 01, 2011, 06:24:35 PM

Does the campaign feel more like a standard build and fight rts with active building and unit micromanagement now that you can build structures?  Or is it still more on the action rts side controlling heroes and units and their special abilities?  I liked that direction in DoW2 and Chaos Rising, and wasn't excited to read that they added building micro into the expansion campaigns.   

So far the campaign still lets you play pretty much exclusively with just your hero units if you choose to.  You do occasionally capture shrines around the map that lets you produce units but I wouldn't say it's required.  At the end of each mission you choose whether you take a piece of war gear or unlock another unit that you can build at the shrines. 

All these impressions are based on the Chaos Campaign.  Other race campaigns might be slightly different.  I assume the Tyranid campaign involves a lot more unit building since they only have one hero.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2011, 07:50:42 PM »

Chris and I finished the Chaos campaign last night. Overall it was pretty well done but the ending denouncement was a bit nonsensical and disappointing. I've also played about halfway through the Eldar Campaign. If I was to rate the overall campaigns from DoW2 I would give them the following.

Dawn of War II - 8 - Very compelling and well done only held back by some repetitive missions and insane time commitment to kill end level bosses.

Chaos Rising - 9 - A true classic. I would recommend this campaign to people who hate RTS games. The only failing is that certain elements were clearly held back by budget constraints.

Retribution - 7 - Worthy of its heritage but a definite step down in quality over previous offerings. Biggest weakness is that the campaign has been simplified to accommodate all races. Still worth the money to fans of the originals and at $30 not a bad place for newcomers to hop in.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2011, 08:09:19 PM »

I just remembered how quickly Chaos Rising was on sale for 50% off, so I think I'm going to wait on getting this.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2011, 08:07:26 PM »

looks like Last Stand is going to get an free content update on April 6th.  I wonder if we'll see a Steam sale around then too.

Because I can,
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2011, 08:24:22 PM »

I just got this! And, eh...completed it as well as Space Marines.

It was a nice campaign, probably mostly because I love the world and its themes and the art - and once again THQ did very well on the presentation I must say.

I LOVE the exterminatus videos - I wish there was tons more to play with in this world.

Space marine FPS - I WANT YOU NOW!

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2011, 09:21:18 PM »

also on April 6th we'll see the Dark Angels DLC pack.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2011, 10:01:13 AM »

Last Stand is going solo.

Because I can,
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2011, 01:44:45 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on March 27, 2011, 08:24:22 PM

I just got this! And, eh...completed it as well as Space Marines.

It was a nice campaign, probably mostly because I love the world and its themes and the art - and once again THQ did very well on the presentation I must say.

I LOVE the exterminatus videos - I wish there was tons more to play with in this world.

Space marine FPS - I WANT YOU NOW!

Just finished this last night as the Space Marines and I really enjoyed it.   I am assuming that the Space Marine ending will end up being canon by Games Workshop.   I need to get back into reading 40K novels especially since they have their own e-library now

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2011, 04:05:57 PM »

looks like dumping GfWL paid off.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2011, 05:04:32 PM »

Steam is having a free to play weekend for this right now.

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: