http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 08:08:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dawn of War 2: Impressions - 2 Disc Soundtrack coming  (Read 11478 times)
ROTC1983
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2009, 09:44:15 PM »

Quote from: Tals on February 24, 2009, 09:20:53 PM

Quote from: ROTC1983 on February 24, 2009, 08:18:01 PM

Quote from: Razgon on February 24, 2009, 06:52:16 PM

okay, I officially suck!!!! at the campaign...

Got to the second planet, and tried to first mission - tried everything, and didnt even get ONE extra day.

Those speed rewards really destroy the game for me...I'm more about killing everything, and doing it tactically....

gah, I wonder how MP will be for me then...rushers beware, you may not even see me before you've won....

Ignore the speed rewards.  Just get the foundries to get you an extra boost in the final score.  I just kill everything and keep my guys alive and I don't even worry about winning quickly.

Agreed - kill with honour!

What is this honour you speak of? Tongue
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 09:53:48 PM by ROTC1983 » Logged

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2009, 10:41:27 PM »

Xeno scum have no honor.
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2009, 11:36:57 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 24, 2009, 10:41:27 PM

Xeno scum have no honor.

Don't hate...I play that Xeno Scum frown

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2009, 12:08:13 AM »

paranoid

Er, I do too.

My Orkz iz da sneekiest.

icon_twisted
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2009, 06:21:20 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 25, 2009, 12:08:13 AM

paranoid

Er, I do too.

My Orkz iz da sneekiest.

icon_twisted

I guess the hive mind says "rawr"?

ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2009, 12:37:17 PM »

DoW2 is on sale at GoGamer for $35.90 for the next 2 and a half days.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2009, 12:47:33 PM »

By the way, I only have the steam version, but does the retail boxed copy require steam as well?
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2009, 12:54:47 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 25, 2009, 12:47:33 PM

By the way, I only have the steam version, but does the retail boxed copy require steam as well?
Yes.  Steam is used for copy protection and for updating.  At minimum a computer with DoW2 installed must connect once to verify the CD key and to download the Day-Zero patch.  Apparently the game can't be played without the day zero patch, even with the CD key verified.  Players will also need to create a GfWL account -- although there appears to be some confusion on whether or not you can create an off-line account as you can with XBoxes, and I can't tell which information is correct.

Once you've had Steam verify once, and created a GfWL account you can play off-line from that point on.  They'll probably want to change the games properties in Steam so that the default "Always keep this Game up to date" is changed so that it only updates manually.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2009, 01:11:20 PM »

Patch this morning.  Anyone know what it did?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2009, 01:15:13 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on February 25, 2009, 01:11:20 PM

Patch this morning.  Anyone know what it did?
Its only purpose was to fix the patch notes from the last patch.  If you looked at the patch notes from the last patch, you may have noticed that most of it consisted of squares instead of characters.  Someone must have messed up with the character encoding.

There was a fix released this evening to update the news tab in the game. The text had become garbled with yesterday’s update, but our update was a little big:

You may have noticed a patch for DOWII of approximately 130MB was just released via Steam. This patch was supposed to be 10MB and its only purpose was to update the news tab with yesterday’s patch notes (and erase the square font).

Unfortunately the patch also redownloaded some files that already existed resulting in the larger than expected patch size. This extra data will not harm DOWII in any way nor should have it introduced any additional bugs.

We regret the patch was so large for such a simple fix. We are taking additional precautions to ensure this doesn’t happen in the future.

Thank you.

- The DOWII Team
(source)
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2009, 01:54:25 PM »

So far, this Games for Windows patching thing hasnt really improved on patching, has it?

Gods how I wish a game would just ship as a game again, instead of requiring me to install 2 other programs...

A new one
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2009, 02:03:51 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on February 25, 2009, 01:54:25 PM

So far, this Games for Windows patching thing hasnt really improved on patching, has it?
Well the patching is a Steam thing not a GfWL thing.  Using GfWL does increase the patch testing time for code patches (but not data patches).  But my understanding is the GfWL testing is only to make sure that a game doesn't screw up the whole XBox Live network, and doesn't really test the game to make sure that stuff in the game makes sense (i.e., stuff like the popcap bug).
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2009, 02:08:31 PM »

ah, my bad then - I was under the impression, that MS had to approve of all patches before they launched

A new one
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2009, 02:26:50 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on February 25, 2009, 02:08:31 PM

ah, my bad then - I was under the impression, that MS had to approve of all patches before they launched
No.  Apparently if only the data files change, then they don't need to approve it.  The only code patch released so far is the Day Zero Patch (and the mid-Beta patch). 

The long code patch lead times is hurting things though.  Relic has a code-based solution for the popcap bug, for example, but since it could take 7-10 days to get it approved, they're trying to come up with a data-based solution as a temporary fix which they can release immediately.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2009, 08:42:21 PM »

Alright this intrigues me.  I'm not a huge RTS fan, I hate MP but occasionally enjoy the SP campaigns. 

Does this do enough things differently then the average RTS to make it something I would enjoy?  The RTS, and lack of Base Building/Micromanaging is what appeals to me.

If I buy the boxed copy, can I run it from Steam as if I had purchased it from them?

"Goonies never say die"
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 25, 2009, 09:59:11 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on February 25, 2009, 08:42:21 PM

Alright this intrigues me.  I'm not a huge RTS fan, I hate MP but occasionally enjoy the SP campaigns. 

Does this do enough things differently then the average RTS to make it something I would enjoy?  The RTS, and lack of Base Building/Micromanaging is what appeals to me.

If I buy the boxed copy, can I run it from Steam as if I had purchased it from them?

SP is very much squad based, control 4 squads and use their abilities to take the objectives. Story and voicee acting excellent - general production levels high

MP is much more traditional with a base etc

Yes boxed or not they both connect to steam and then work from there. No cd required and I think it would probably download from steam if required - certainly updates are handled ala steam.

MP is Windows Live which is weird considering its already on steam  mad

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 25, 2009, 10:14:59 PM »

Yes, this is very, very different from the average RTS.  There are RPG-like special skills and inventory items to activate for each of your squads, but since hands-on tactical combat is the primary focus of the single player campaign, it feels less like "micromanaging" than it does regular "managing."

Yes.  In fact, you *must* run it from Steam as if you had purchased it from them.  The plus side is that it never needs to see the CD again, so unless you care about having a physical manual, you won't miss anything by buying it directly through Steam.

-Autistic Angel
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 25, 2009, 11:51:30 PM »

I like this game a lot....I was really starting to get overwhelmed with RTSes like C&C3 and Red Alert 3 because there was just so much to keep track of in game, but this really narrows the focus down to controlling a handful of units.

I really wish the campaign was a little more dynamic (ie there are consequences for failure).  They should have implemented a branching campaign like in Wing Commander where failing too many missions would actually put you into the failing path.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 26, 2009, 12:20:02 AM »

My wife got me this game this evening. Looking forward to playing the single player campaign. I got burnt out on the mp portion of it in beta.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 26, 2009, 12:20:21 AM »

Quote from: lex on February 25, 2009, 11:51:30 PM

I really wish the campaign was a little more dynamic (ie there are consequences for failure).  They should have implemented a branching campaign like in Wing Commander where failing too many missions would actually put you into the failing path.
I've seen claims that if Tyranid infestation levels hit Max on all three planets you lose.  No idea if this is true or not, but I've seen it posted out at either RelicNews or the official forums.
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 26, 2009, 01:22:31 AM »

Part 1 of an Article about Eldar Tactics and the Commanders has been posted up at www.wargamer.com.

It is a really good article to read if you are thinking about the game and want to know more, or are just wanting to get some idea of how to best play the Eldar. Of course, I may be a little biased, as I did write the article...  slywink

Bael
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 26, 2009, 01:40:05 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on February 25, 2009, 10:14:59 PM

Yes, this is very, very different from the average RTS.  There are RPG-like special skills and inventory items to activate for each of your squads, but since hands-on tactical combat is the primary focus of the single player campaign, it feels less like "micromanaging" than it does regular "managing."

Yes.  In fact, you *must* run it from Steam as if you had purchased it from them.  The plus side is that it never needs to see the CD again, so unless you care about having a physical manual, you won't miss anything by buying it directly through Steam.

-Autistic Angel

Except that the game is $49.99 US on Steam, which translates to approx. $62 Canadian.  I can get the boxed copy for $49.99 Canadian, so I'll go that route.

"Goonies never say die"
Rich
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 26, 2009, 05:12:34 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on February 26, 2009, 01:40:05 PM

Quote from: Autistic Angel on February 25, 2009, 10:14:59 PM

-Autistic Angel

Except that the game is $49.99 US on Steam, which translates to approx. $62 Canadian.  I can get the boxed copy for $49.99 Canadian, so I'll go that route.

That ticks me off when new games are launched, Best Buy or someone will have a sale week of release or the next week on the retail copy and then Gogamer will sell a $50 game for $35 2 weeks after it comes out but because of deals the publishers have in place with B&M retailers selling their boxed copies Steam isn't allowed to undercut them at launch.

SteamID - Rich-NauticaLNaughT
XBox 360 - NauticaLNaughT
PS3 - PTCynic
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 27, 2009, 04:15:08 AM »

I bought this today... I am *totally* not an RTS player, aside from the old Close Combat stuff and Total War... I like my stuff more tactical and realistic, I suppose...

Anyway, the RPGness, no base building and small number of persistent units in SP intrigued me, and I had a $25 card for gamestop and a night to myself, so I bought some beer and pulled the trigger.  I've done 5 or 6 missions, and it's definitely more my speed... a bit repetitive, but pretty fun.  I'm guessing there is more diversity when I get to some different planets?
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 27, 2009, 06:18:02 AM »

Quote from: kratz on February 27, 2009, 04:15:08 AM

I bought this today... I am *totally* not an RTS player, aside from the old Close Combat stuff and Total War... I like my stuff more tactical and realistic, I suppose...

Anyway, the RPGness, no base building and small number of persistent units in SP intrigued me, and I had a $25 card for gamestop and a night to myself, so I bought some beer and pulled the trigger.  I've done 5 or 6 missions, and it's definitely more my speed... a bit repetitive, but pretty fun.  I'm guessing there is more diversity when I get to some different planets?

Nah really my only gripe about the game is that it is pretty repetitive.  The loot and leveling stuff is what is makes it interesting, but the missions are pretty much mostly MOTS.  There are a few exceptions and they are pretty excellent.

I'm level 12 though, and from my understanding that's a bit over halfway, so maybe things change later.

gellar
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 27, 2009, 07:26:37 AM »

Yep missions are fairly similar - fight your way up the map hit a boss character get some loot on the way at the end and then hit the experience. Alternatively you maybe defending an area and then lead to a counter offensive

That said I love it! I love the tactical nature of the game and don't mind having to go slowly up the map to achieve the objective. Quite clickly at times ensuring you hit the relevant skill at the right time (nades/healing etc) but interface is great.

MP I still haven't a clue about - tried it a couple of times but need to play much more.

Tals

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 27, 2009, 08:10:34 AM »

loving the game so far, but suck at it - I almost never get the chance to get additional days, due to the fact that I love to play the game tactically, and not rush, and since "time" is a factor in you getting extra days....well, I've never gotten more than one star in that particular area.

Hopefully, I'll get the chance to kill Tals and Rotc1983 this weekend or sometime soon ;-)

A new one
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 27, 2009, 01:50:35 PM »

I am very interested in getting this game but I'm not sure my computer could run it.  My rig:

P4 3 ghz,  1 gig of RAM,  ATI X1600 AGP card.

This looks to meet the minumum requirements but I'm hesitant to purchase.  Company of Heroes gets a little choppy on bigger maps.  Is anyone running the game on a similar system?

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 27, 2009, 02:36:05 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on February 27, 2009, 01:50:35 PM

I am very interested in getting this game but I'm not sure my computer could run it.  My rig:

This looks to meet the minumum requirements but I'm hesitant to purchase.  Company of Heroes gets a little choppy on bigger maps.  Is anyone running the game on a similar system?

I think Brinstil from IRC tried (and failed) to run the demo on a similar system.  I'll try to get him to stop in on this thread.

gellar
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 27, 2009, 02:48:23 PM »

Quote from: gellar on February 27, 2009, 02:36:05 PM

I think Brinstil from IRC tried (and failed) to run the demo on a similar system.  I'll try to get him to stop in on this thread.

gellar

1.  Thanks.

2.  There's a demo?

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 27, 2009, 02:49:02 PM »

I have a similar system AMD 3200+, 2gb memory but an 8800GT card and it runs smooth. That said I think the gfx and memory is a biggie and not that expensive to achieve

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 27, 2009, 04:14:54 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on February 27, 2009, 02:48:23 PM

Quote from: gellar on February 27, 2009, 02:36:05 PM

gellar

1.  Thanks.

2.  There's a demo?

Sorry - Beta.

gellar
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 27, 2009, 06:11:10 PM »

Quote from: Tals on February 27, 2009, 02:49:02 PM

I have a similar system AMD 3200+, 2gb memory but an 8800GT card and it runs smooth. That said I think the gfx and memory is a biggie and not that expensive to achieve

I've become a console gamer for the most part.  I'm not all that interested in upgrading my PC just for this game.  I am probably going to pass until I eventually get a new machine.  I've officially been off of the PC upgrade treadmill for a few years now.  This is the first game that has tempted me in a while.

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 27, 2009, 06:43:33 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on February 27, 2009, 06:11:10 PM

Quote from: Tals on February 27, 2009, 02:49:02 PM

I've become a console gamer for the most part.  I'm not all that interested in upgrading my PC just for this game.  I am probably going to pass until I eventually get a new machine.  I've officially been off of the PC upgrade treadmill for a few years now.  This is the first game that has tempted me in a while.

I know where you are coming from - that said the price of the upgrade in respect of this I suspect won't be much more than the actual game - although the AGP possibly is a problem.

I never upgrade my whole pc - just chunks at a time, then again no console (if you exclude a wii smile ) in this household smile

Tals

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 27, 2009, 09:34:19 PM »

Wow, the Orc Commando is kind of overpowered as Tals can attest to.

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 27, 2009, 09:37:01 PM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on February 27, 2009, 09:34:19 PM

Wow, the Orc Commando is kind of overpowered as Tals can attest to.

hehe well it could be I just suck - enjoying sucking and I think I am making progress smile

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: February 27, 2009, 09:41:47 PM »

Nah, it's not that he's powerful.  It's just that he's not something that you're used to.  Orks are one of the least played armies, and the Kommando is one of the least played commanders.  After a while of fighting him, you learn how to deal with him like any other kommander.  Keep scout units around or detectors, don't bunch or blob up, and don't leave suppression weapons on their own.
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 27, 2009, 09:57:23 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 27, 2009, 09:41:47 PM

Nah, it's not that he's powerful.  It's just that he's not something that you're used to.  Orks are one of the least played armies, and the Kommando is one of the least played commanders.  After a while of fighting him, you learn how to deal with him like any other kommander.  Keep scout units around or detectors, don't bunch or blob up, and don't leave suppression weapons on their own.

Poor Orcs frown

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: February 27, 2009, 10:23:48 PM »

Well, the better explanation is to say that he's not amazingly powerful.  His strength is his ability to stay hidden, then unleash a torrent of disruptive and deadly abilities just as his army comes in behind him.  His abilities cost a lot of energy, which he also uses to infiltrate.

Find a way to detect him before he gets in position inside your army and he gets taken out pretty quickly.  Best way to know when the Kommando is around is if your scouts see an Ork army massing just out of view.  That's when you know the Kommando should be approaching your lines to cause disruption before he sends his army in.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 27, 2009, 10:44:41 PM »

Some folks at Qt3 have been talking about getting some friendly 3v3 custom games going.  I think the idea is we'll get at least six people and then play a bunch of games against each other mixing up the teams and races in order to keep everything balanced and interesting.  Anyone interested?  This might be a particularly good opportunity for newbies to play in a friendly unranked environment.

Unfortunately we talked about it earlier this week and didn't set a date/time.  I've got one other Qt3 guy lined up for 7pm Pacific Time tonight and am waiting to hear from others.  I'm also free tomorrow or Sunday probably 3pm Pacific or later.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: