http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 02:17:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dawn of War 2: Impressions - 2 Disc Soundtrack coming  (Read 11789 times)
Roguetad
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2009, 05:47:13 PM »

The Steam DoW2 install process was borked for me too, and I already had steam installed with GFW Live setup from Gears of War.  I bought the game off steam thinking it was pointless to buy the box since it has to be linked to steam anyway.  The game wouldn't install.  It just sat at "Download Starting..." for a couple of hours.  After checking their forums for a solution, which I found, I ended up having to delete all of my steam folder contents, only leaving steam.exe.  After a couple of restarts (I needed to disable steam from auto starting with my pc), the install process finally started.  After jumping over that hurdle, everything else went smoothly.

I was also stumped by the MP passcode that Steam keeps insisting I will need.  I just ignore it now.  As to the quality of the game, I'm a 40k fan, so this is gaming goodness for me.  

With that said, I agree with Rittchard's thoughts.  I can't understand why pc developers seem to be making it harder to install their games.  It's silly.  I'm all for playing without the dvd in the drive, but not by turning the install process into 1-3 hour pc tinkering/troubleshooting exercise.  As pc gamers we already have to tinker and troubleshoot to optimize performance, having to spend hours on the install process just makes console gaming that much more appealing.    
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2009, 06:15:55 PM »

Quote from: Roguetad on February 20, 2009, 05:47:13 PM

With that said, I agree with Rittchard's thoughts.  I can't understand why pc developers seem to be making it harder to install their games.  It's silly.  I'm all for playing without the dvd in the drive, but not by turning the install process into 1-3 hour pc tinkering/troubleshooting exercise.  As pc gamers we already have to tinker and troubleshoot to optimize performance, having to spend hours on the install process just makes console gaming that much more appealing.    

Thanks for the support!  I felt a little bad about my rant, but it's nice to hear some similar feedback.  What happened to the good old days when we just had a code wheel lol?  I am certainly for games not requiring a CD/DVD in drive, that's been a pain in the ass for a long time, but this just seems incredibly egregious.  Particularly for a game that is not 100% multiplayer, apparently if you had no access to the internet, you wouldn't be able to play the game at all (single player), which is a shame. 

As for Steam, we'll see if I get used to it.  I was certainly not pleased that as soon as I turned the computer on this morning it was asking for my login. 

Oh well, hopefully I'll actually get to play the game some time tonight for some real impressions!
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2009, 06:20:49 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on February 20, 2009, 06:15:55 PM

As for Steam, we'll see if I get used to it.  I was certainly not pleased that as soon as I turned the computer on this morning it was asking for my login. 

You can disable Steam from starting with Windows. Steam really isn't that bad overall, but I like Impulse much more.

Do you have to sign into Windows Live to play DoW2? That would piss me off and I'd rather just see that service go away.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2009, 06:33:02 PM »

Quote from: JSL on February 20, 2009, 06:20:49 PM

Quote from: rittchard on February 20, 2009, 06:15:55 PM

You can disable Steam from starting with Windows. Steam really isn't that bad overall, but I like Impulse much more.

Do you have to sign into Windows Live to play DoW2? That would piss me off and I'd rather just see that service go away.

It signs me in automatically whenever I start the game.  Not a big deal for me, since I already went through that frustrating setup experience with the original Gears of War, but I was surprised to see it.  The first time I started the game I had all sorts of messages popping up starting with the normal Steam start up process, then the GFW Live login, my GFW friends online, an update message for GFW, and Steam's pop up about the mysterious MP code that I'm supposed to need.  I haven't tried running the game without logging into GFW Live.   
Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2009, 06:41:17 PM »

I have a quick question. I had installed and played the MP beta. And not on my games list in steam it says the pre download is done and ready. I click on it and it asks if I want to purchase the game. If I purchase through steam will there still have to be a download of the game or has it already pre loaded the install and is just waiting for purchase to unlock? Thanks for any info.

Now playing:
PC
Forsaken World

Xbox 360
CoD BO

PS3
Uncharted 3 MP beta
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2009, 07:19:49 PM »

You have to download the whole thing.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2009, 09:17:47 PM »

I'm really fuming right now...apparently this game does not support HD resolution over VGA...it's the only game i have via steam which just will not support my monitor's resolution.

At least i can't get it to.  Anyone have a tip on how to make this dogpile display on my 40" Samsung? 

GTX8800 -> VGA Cable -> Samsung 1080p 40" LCD -> Mode not supported error.  Startup options failed to get the game to run in supported resolution.

Since it runs slow as shite on my laptop, i'm gonna have to disassemble my pc from my entertainment center and set it up on a desk with a shitty 19" monitor to play this fucker? Oh come on guys....stop selling dogshit programming already...

I knew i shoulda stuck to my guns and stayed all Xbox360 for gaming.
StriderGG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2009, 09:21:08 PM »

Ok, I've read about PC industry sucking Rittchard's ballz as well as Hepcat's life story. smile

Where are the impressions?!!!  icon_evil I am particularly puzzled by that Diablo reference earlier in the thread (before Rittch was sexually harassed by Steam).

Oh and I also wanted to mention the fact (mandatory in every DRM related thread) that the game has been available on the net for like a week before paying customers were allowed into their guilty pleasures. Lol, I have to stop.

biggrin
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2009, 09:33:22 PM »

I love it!

What I don't love though is the constant crashing. There is a known bug (memory leak) that happens usually right after a cut scene (talking heads during mission) that will cause an "unable to create dump file error." Relic says that it is going to roll out a fix today but I won't hold my breath on it. It's a pain in the butt too because there is a chance that a crash caused by that error can corrupt your save files and disable your ability to choose missions.

Otherwise Dawn of War II is an incredible game with a very entertain single player game. BTW the game gets a lot more strategic later on in the campaign mode. There is no base building but you'l eventually be fighting for points against the AI and using your units abilities in a more strategic way rather than willy nilly. Oh and use cover... a lot.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
JSL

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2009, 09:57:50 PM »

Anyone running this with an AMD 3500+, Nvidia 7900 GTX, and 2 GB or RAM?

There isn't a demo, right?
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2009, 10:01:27 PM »

JSL.  There will be a demo, they'll probably release it in a few weeks.  How do I know this?  Well the name for the beta data storage was something along the lines of "Dawn of War 2 Demo".  slywink
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2009, 10:07:30 PM »

Played through a couple of campaign missions and loving it so far.  Haven't had a single hiccup or crash.  I hear there is a fairly significant bug in MP with popcaps, so I'm staying away from that for a bit.

gellar
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2009, 10:12:56 PM »

Quote from: JSL on February 20, 2009, 09:57:50 PM

Anyone running this with an AMD 3500+, Nvidia 7900 GTX, and 2 GB or RAM?

There isn't a demo, right?

Not sure, but there was supposedly some way to send friends a code to play the game for 3 days or something like that.  Will check when I get home.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2009, 12:44:43 AM »

Quote from: Fuzzballx on February 20, 2009, 09:17:47 PM

I'm really fuming right now...apparently this game does not support HD resolution over VGA...it's the only game i have via steam which just will not support my monitor's resolution.

At least i can't get it to.  Anyone have a tip on how to make this dogpile display on my 40" Samsung? 
Fuzzball, try posting at Qt3.  They've got a THQ producer answering questions there.  Or you can try the official forums or Relic News.  You could also try Penny Arcade forums as they have a Relic developer there providing support as well, although that thread is scary long -- I think they're on their fourth 100+ page-long thread.  I stopped trying to keep up.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2009, 04:50:54 AM »

Man, the single player just keeps getting more and more addictive.  I realized while playing tonight what it most reminds me of, though.  Soldiers: Heroes of WWII.  I absolutely loved that game.  DoW2 has the same tactical/RTS feel to it.  But they also added in the RPG/loot aspect and it just puts it over the top for me.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2009, 05:01:41 AM »

Quote from: StriderGG on February 20, 2009, 09:21:08 PM

Ok, I've read about PC industry sucking Rittchard's ballz as well as Hepcat's life story. smile

aren't they one and the same?  Tongue

I was holding off on buying this to see what weekend sales there were going to be this weekend, but since there's nothing good this looks like a good time to try and re-acquaint myself with RTS's.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2009, 03:22:44 AM »

I played through 3 of the single player campaign missions.  All in all I'd concur with much of what's been said here and the reviews I've read.  The graphics are sharp and the environments look great.  The traditional RTS elements managing resources, etc. have been eliminated in favor of a tactical squad feel.  It appears you at most control 4 squads, though in effect you are controlling a party of 4 characters (for instance the band of stealthers may contain a squad of 4 troops but you treat them from a control standpoint as a single entity).  This makes for a much more streamlined approach - you hit buttons 1 to 4 to select your units of choice and then issue orders.  They have special abilities, etc that you can make use of.  In between missions, you can "level up" and assign 2 points in various categories (melee dmg, ranged dmg, etc) and/or give equipment drops to different units.  It's a pretty cool, streamlined system (though comparisons to Diablo are a bit overstated - there is nowhere near the loot/customization/levelling involved) that gets you attached to your characters as you watch them level.  In some sense the meta-game plays out like console SRPGs, e.g. Final Fantasy Tactics.  You have to choose who to bring to missions, and only they will earn xp, and you choose who gets what gear bonuses, etc. - but this only happens in between missions, not during.

While I do like the game, I'm a little surprised at just how well reviewed it is.  Graphics wise, it looks great but it's not mind blowing (and yes I have everything maxxed).  Gameplay-wise, it's not a major change/leap over some other games.  In fact, it actually plays out not unlike the RTS sections in Hellgate London.  You maneuver your team of 4, use cover, take out a boss, etc.  The levelling aspects have been done in other games as well, and the single select for a group of troops I believe was done in Kohan.  It does feel well polished and stream-lined, so definitely kudos for that.  But innovative or really changing up the RTS genre?  I don't see it.  Maybe the multiplayer is really where it shines.

One thing that bugged me was the inability to change keyboard commands.  I hate having the camera on the arrow keys and wanted to relocate them.  Interestingly, the other game I tried out right after (Battleforge beta) DID have the camera keys mapped to wasd where I like them.  Oddly enough the gameplay/interface felt fairly similar to DoW2.  Of course Battleforge carries more of the traditional RTS elements of taking power nodes, etc.  It's chief difference is the Magic: The Gathering like meta game.  You put together a deck and that's what's available to you in a fight.  In all honesty, while DoW2 looked much better and felt more polished, I think BF actually felt fresher and more fun to me, maybe it was just the card aspect I like.  Anyway, kind of interesting to see a bunch of new RTS's coming out this year, will be interesting to see which stand the test of time.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 03:25:56 AM by rittchard » Logged
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2009, 10:48:30 AM »

Played through the first 3 missions this morning, so far i'm loving it. I'm far more in tune with my squad commanders than I ever was in DOW. Game runs smoothly on my machine which is fairly low end

AMD 3200+, 8800GT Gfx and 2gb RAM.

Big thumbs up, may even hol doff of empire at War until I have played this more smile

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2009, 10:54:42 AM »

bah...

going out to buy it today...look for me on Steam, Tals, and I'll whip you'r metalbehind! ;-)

A new one
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2009, 12:54:30 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on February 23, 2009, 10:54:42 AM

bah...

going out to buy it today...look for me on Steam, Tals, and I'll whip you'r metalbehind! ;-)

Sweet - i'm talsworthy on Windows Live and Steam, not quite sure which one is used in MP at the mo. I think it is Windows Live - why didn't they just stick with Steam frown

Anyway looking forward to it

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2009, 12:59:54 PM »

Windowslive...is that MSN?? Or is it something new I have to sign up for??!

and yeah, looking forward to that as well :-)

A new one
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2009, 01:54:30 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on February 23, 2009, 12:59:54 PM

Windowslive...is that MSN?? Or is it something new I have to sign up for??!

and yeah, looking forward to that as well :-)

Seems to be a tie into Xbox live - at the moment that is about it but you do need to sign up with it (free) which allows you to manage achievements etc. Still not as good as steam imho but will do smile

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2009, 02:48:14 PM »

Does Live limit you to 100 friends still?  Combining my PC friends with my 360 friends will surely cause me to have issues if that still holds true.   icon_cry

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2009, 03:25:53 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 23, 2009, 02:48:14 PM

Does Live limit you to 100 friends still?  Combining my PC friends with my 360 friends will surely cause me to have issues if that still holds true.   icon_cry

I'm not sure I know frown Does it have the ability to have groups ala Gaming Trend etc?

Tals

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2009, 03:27:14 PM »

I don't believe it does.

ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2009, 03:36:29 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 23, 2009, 02:48:14 PM

Does Live limit you to 100 friends still?

As near as I can tell yes.  Joystiq reported last month that Microsoft wanted to change the limit, but was not yet ready to commit to a date for when it would be fixed.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2009, 05:07:26 PM »

ehm...what the heck? Installed the game, and it updated...now, its stuck on "Update starting"??? and wont do a single thing? tried to start the game, and all it said was "The game is currently unavailable"?????

A new one
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2009, 06:05:08 PM »

I had a couple of lock ups which for me may have been machine related. Anyway rebooting pc sorted it. There did appear to be an update straight after install

MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2009, 06:30:50 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on February 23, 2009, 05:07:26 PM

ehm...what the heck? Installed the game, and it updated...now, its stuck on "Update starting"??? and wont do a single thing? tried to start the game, and all it said was "The game is currently unavailable"?????
Mine did the same thing. Went into the game properties and 'Validated' the game files, after that it was fine.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2009, 06:51:43 PM »

I'm on Day 11 now, and I think Dawn of War II might have the best single-player campaign of any RTS I've  played.  The missions are pretty short, typically about 20-minutes if you take your time to purge each area of enemy troops, but densely packed with lots of visceral combat that rewards efficient squad tactics and use of the terrain.  The better you perform at swiftly wiping out enemy troops, the more experience your units gain to boost their abilities and equip better gear.

The closest equivalent I can think of is a real-time version of X-Com with the base-building and research elements replaced by character development and Diablo-like equipment looting.  As each squad reaches the next experience level, they receive two skill points which can be applied to their Health, Melee Skill, Ranged Skill, or Energy scores, and like in Mass Effect, there are special perks that unlock along each path.  This has earned my scout squad access to special piercing rounds for their sniper rifles, and my assault marines can now fire their plasma weapons on the move.

The combination of RPG-like skills and special equipment lets you customize each squad to fill the roles you need.  I've really neglected my Force Commander's ranged attacks in favor of creating a character who can charge right through withering enemy fire, knock them out of cover, and send them scattering into the open to be gunned down by my other units.  Making these sorts of choices between battles makes it really intuitive to see how each unit should be used in a heated firefight.

There are important choices to make on the battlefield too: each map has two Strategic Points which will aid you between missions, but you can only seize one during any single encounter.  Should you go for the communications array to gain better intelligence on your enemies for the next mission, or the foundry for an added chance at an another deployment that day?  The further you go in the campaign, the more freedom you have in selecting your next engagement and the more affect these decisions have on the tide of the war.

This campaign structure is great!  I don't know how long it'll take me to finish, but I already hope Relic has an opportunity to add similar campaign-based expansions for the other races in the future...and hopefully reintroduce some of the others, too! nod

Surprisingly, I don't think Dawn of War II holds up nearly as well in skirmish or multiplayer.  Those were the only two modes I really played in the first game, but here, the limited number of small maps and lack of base building or technology tree make the experience feel narrow and wearisome very quickly.  Perhaps if they capitalized in the RPG elements that make the campaign so good, with maps that had AI monsters that drop special gear or other random elements to spice things up, that would make these one-off games more dynamic....

-Autistic Angel
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2009, 07:05:22 PM »

I've not played MP yet so can't comment but the SP I totally agree on, very immersive and gives you a real squad feel as you complete missions

I've set up a thread in MP to get peoples windows live ids

http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php?topic=31965

Tals

ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2009, 07:30:56 PM »

Quote from: Tals on February 23, 2009, 07:05:22 PM

I've not played MP yet so can't comment but the SP I totally agree on, very immersive and gives you a real squad feel as you complete missions

I've set up a thread in MP to get peoples windows live ids

http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php?topic=31965

Tals

We definitely have to play a game Tals smile  I will post my id in there soon enough smile

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2009, 04:12:39 AM »

I played an mp game with rotc last night. Its a very different feel to sp.

In most games sp is a training ground for mp in this one its feels so different almost a different game.

However a liked it a lot with the exception that windows live was a seriously bad call. What are their official forums saying? They have to move to steam for MP. Windows live barely works to do this - very clunky.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 06:09:38 AM by Tals » Logged

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2009, 05:46:29 AM »

Quote from: Tals on February 24, 2009, 04:12:39 AM

I played an mp game with rotc last night. Its a very different feel to sp.

In most games sp is a training groing in this one its feels so different almost a different game.

However a liked it a lot with the exception that windows live was a seriously bad call. What are their official forums saying? They have to move to steam for MP. Windows live barely works to do this - very clunky.

Yeah, Windows Live isn't that great.  This service causes grief to an otherwise awesome game.  So, Tals, up for a rematch tomorrow? smile

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2009, 06:10:37 AM »

Of course smile

After reading the OO thread I restarted the campaign on Captain level - much more challenging with the levels but in a better way.

Tals

ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2009, 06:30:58 AM »

Quote from: Tals on February 24, 2009, 04:12:39 AM

The story I've heard on the use of GfWL is that it provides more sophisticated matchmaking than Steam and Relic says GfWL has the best NAT handling available in the industry. They claim that they have received far fewer network complaints then they did with Relic Online and that Relic Online simply would not have been able to handle the number of players that they anticipated for DoW2.

I haven't used Steam matchmaking, so feel free to correct me on this.  But the claim I've seen on GfWL vs. Steam matchmaking is that Steam auto-matchmaking isn't skill based.  You just get matched to whoever is currently trying to get a game going, not to whoever is close to you in skill.  Relic says that the Trueskill matchmaking provides them functionality that they would not have gotten otherwise.  So Relic went for GfWL for the combination of better network handling and better matchmaking.

Another reason that Relic hasn't mentioned may be GfWL provides a robust marketplace for paid DLC.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 06:50:39 AM by ydejin » Logged
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2009, 06:47:32 AM »

I can't argue with the networking aspect was fairly flawless last night even when we played it across the atlantic. The matchmaking as well.

Where steam is a lot better is the handling of friends and groups. Particularly where you want to get a friend in game. The restriction of 100 friends (where people have xbox machines as well) does impact us in all linking up frown

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2009, 06:52:16 PM »

okay, I officially suck!!!! at the campaign...

Got to the second planet, and tried to first mission - tried everything, and didnt even get ONE extra day.

Those speed rewards really destroy the game for me...I'm more about killing everything, and doing it tactically....

gah, I wonder how MP will be for me then...rushers beware, you may not even see me before you've won....

A new one
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2009, 08:18:01 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on February 24, 2009, 06:52:16 PM

Got to the second planet, and tried to first mission - tried everything, and didnt even get ONE extra day.

Those speed rewards really destroy the game for me...I'm more about killing everything, and doing it tactically....

gah, I wonder how MP will be for me then...rushers beware, you may not even see me before you've won....

Ignore the speed rewards.  Just get the foundries to get you an extra boost in the final score.  I just kill everything and keep my guys alive and I don't even worry about winning quickly.

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2009, 09:20:53 PM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on February 24, 2009, 08:18:01 PM

Quote from: Razgon on February 24, 2009, 06:52:16 PM

Ignore the speed rewards.  Just get the foundries to get you an extra boost in the final score.  I just kill everything and keep my guys alive and I don't even worry about winning quickly.

Agreed - kill with honour!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: