http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 02:54:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dawn of War 2: Impressions - 2 Disc Soundtrack coming  (Read 11466 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2009, 04:59:54 AM »

9.0 on IGN.  I'll admit I was lax in trying out the open beta but a friend of mine is trying to talk me into getting this.  the whole 'no base building' could be what gets me into it.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 04:12:05 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 09:34:17 AM »

Getting it into my grubby hands tomorrow smile  I can't wait smile

Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 12:40:32 PM »

Just waiting for the ticker on Steam to finish its countdown (+ 2 hours for the guaranteed technical difficulties).

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 02:40:20 PM »

Oooh, they're using a world map for the campaign like that found in Soulstorm and Dark Crusade?  I did not know that.  I was going to pass on this one, but I loves me the campaign maps.  Ever since I first encountered that feature in Rise of Nations, I've loved it over the linear mission design. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 02:50:08 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 18, 2009, 02:40:20 PM

Oooh, they're using a world map for the campaign like that found in Soulstorm and Dark Crusade?  I did not know that.  I was going to pass on this one, but I loves me the campaign maps.  Ever since I first encountered that feature in Rise of Nations, I've loved it over the linear mission design. 

I was being so strong on this game but I can't resist any longer frown

Tals

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 06:45:38 PM »

Quote from: Tals on February 18, 2009, 02:50:08 PM

I was being so strong on this game but I can't resist any longer frown

Tals

Pick it up so we can play a game Tals smile

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 07:04:34 PM »

All ordered.

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 07:29:07 PM »

Quote from: Tals on February 18, 2009, 07:04:34 PM

All ordered.

Supposed to be out for me here today.  Still waiting...they need to hurry up and get the shipment in or I will have to visit them between my meeting and when I have to start work for the pickup smile

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 07:31:37 PM »

I won't be around till Monday frown

ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 07:35:11 PM »

Quote from: Tals on February 18, 2009, 07:31:37 PM

I won't be around till Monday frown

No worries smile  I will always be around  The Weghted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you.  (when we can coordinate a time Tongue)

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 02:26:44 AM »

Downloading via Steam now.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 02:52:02 AM »

same here.  i was weak.  i really have been doing pretty good lately.  only buying games on sale.  but the combo of the world map campaign and customizable units wore me down...that and it's snowing right now and i'm bored.   icon_wink

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 03:11:43 AM »

Ever since I first encountered that feature in Rise of Nations, I've loved it over the linear mission design. 

Me too, man.  I absolutely loved, loved, loved, Rise of Nations.  That and Kohan were just pure heaven for me as far as RTS games go.

DOW 2 - here I come.

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 08:28:30 AM »

Quote from: Tals on February 18, 2009, 07:04:34 PM

All ordered.

arrggh!!! I'm in as well - and up for games!

A new one
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 10:55:30 AM »

On Steam, add "vanigan" to your friends list.  On Live, add "PicTurtle" to you friends list.  I'm usually up for a game and am willing to train people for the multiplayer part of the game.  I'm mainly good with Orks, but know enough about Nids and Space Marines to give you good tips.  And, of course I have a lot of general stuff I can train you on too.

So, don't be afraid of the online versus multiplayer, even though the co-op seems great.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 11:29:19 AM »

I think I'll be playing the Ninja faction, but we'll see once I get the game and give the sp campaign a few whirls!

A new one
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 11:47:39 AM »

Does anyone know if there's a pdf manual for the steam version?  If so, where? 

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 12:06:37 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on February 19, 2009, 11:47:39 AM

There is.  In a standard installation it should be in:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\dawn of war 2\Manual
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 02:34:41 PM »

My impressions after one hour of game time last night are generally favorable.  The SP portion feels more like Diablo than it does an RTS to me.  I love the customization of the characters, the leveling up via xp and the unlocks you can get from putting points into their version of stats.

Question for those who are further into the SP game than I:  I only played the intro mission in SP and part of the 1st mission on the campaign map.  It appears that they're are multiple planets that you'll have to fight across according to the menu bar at the top of the map screen.  Is this correct?

Quote from: ydejin on February 19, 2009, 12:06:37 PM

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on February 19, 2009, 11:47:39 AM

There is.  In a standard installation it should be in:

C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\dawn of war 2\Manual

also, you can go here
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 02:40:31 PM by hepcat » Logged

ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 08:54:30 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 19, 2009, 02:34:41 PM

Question for those who are further into the SP game than I:  I only played the intro mission in SP and part of the 1st mission on the campaign map.  It appears that they're are multiple planets that you'll have to fight across according to the menu bar at the top of the map screen.  Is this correct?
I haven't gotten that far but there's definitely multiple planets.  I suspect there are the four worlds you can see in the intro video see 0:36 into this youtube copy.  You can also see screenshots of two of them at IGN here and here.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 12:11:21 AM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 19, 2009, 02:34:41 PM

My impressions after one hour of game time last night are generally favorable.  The SP portion feels more like Diablo than it does an RTS to me.   I love the customization of the characters, the leveling up via xp and the unlocks you can get from putting points into their version of stats.

Damn you GT-Effect!!!  This statement alone made me rush out to buy the game, which I originally had not planned on.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2009, 01:19:44 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on February 20, 2009, 12:11:21 AM

Damn you GT-Effect!!!  This statement alone made me rush out to buy the game, which I originally had not planned on.
The ShackNews Reviewer really seems to like it a lot, and particularly seems to enjoy the single-player campaign.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2009, 04:22:41 AM »

My impressions: PC gaming is about ready to kill itself if this is the future.  Steam is a steaming pile of crap that can suck my ballz.

Here's the story:  I get home eager to install and get playing.  Insert the disk and after an inordinate amount of waiting I get a screen saying Steam is going to install.  I'm like, uhhh why do I need Steam?  I just want to try the single player campaign really quick.  Whatever.  Steam finally finishes and then I'm asked to enter obscure code on back of manual.  Game finally installs after more waiting.  Finally I get a window asking me to Launch.  With yet another obscure code I guess I am supposed to write down for multiplayer.  Did I ever say I wanted to play multiplayer?  Thanks for asking, Steamcrap.  I hit Launch and... after waiting and waiting I get a message saying the game is not available.  Try again later.  What the flying F*&^*?!?!  So here I am trying it again and again and getting the same message.  This is complete bullshit.  I'm looking at my copy of Dragon Quest and thinking, screw this PC, I could have spent the last half hour actually PLAYING a console game.

I'm not sure whose brilliant idea it was to make game installation such an incredible chore, it's like they deliberately want to punish you and send you to your Xbox.  Not to mention requiring a bunch of bloatware crap (steam) I wasn't necessarily interested in.  So after 45 minutes have passed, I can't even see the opening cutscene of the game I just bought, and that's about all the gaming time I had tonight.  What an absolute joke.

Quick Edit: as I wrote this it finally updated and allowed to see the opening cutscene.  Pretty damn cool, points for that.

Then I'm getting ready to spend a few minutes in game, but... it won't let me do anything until I sign into Windows LIVE.  Grrrr.  After trying every email and password combo I can think of, it FINALLY lets me in.  Exactly as I run out of time lol.  There's something so wrong about this, playing a game should not be so difficult.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 04:34:04 AM by rittchard » Logged
ROTC1983

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009, 05:30:00 AM »

Fear2 did this also (minus the GFW Live Login) and it pissed me off to no extent.  Seriously, when I purchase the game on Steam I understand I need to use Steam.  (or with things like L4D when you know it is a Steam game).  Instead, I plunk down my money and I have no choice but to associate the game with Steam.  If this is what is happening to PC gaming, good riddance...and I all I play on is the PC.  Might as well go back to WoW!  (Sorry if this is incoherent...I am just really angry about this development).

Tals

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2009, 06:30:21 AM »

For me I wish I could put every game I had on steam so if anything the above 2 statements would just be another tick box for purchase. Don't understand any argument against it.
Empire total war will be the same.

Far better than requiring a CD in the drive IMHO

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2009, 02:26:52 PM »

I can see both sides in this instance.  I would certainly be annoyed if I'd gone through what rittchard had to endure after buying it retail.  The only words of comfort I have is that once it IS running through steam, you'll basically be set for life and never again have to worry about looking for the disk, trying to find the key, etc.  icon_smile

by the way, i did buy my copy through steam and it keeps prompting me with the code when I start the game up, telling me that I'll need to enter it somewhere.  However, after hours of game time, I've yet to see DoW2 prompt me FOR this code.   icon_confused  Any idea if i do need to enter this somewhere?  or if it has it registered using that code automatically after i bought it through steam.

ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2009, 03:00:03 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 20, 2009, 02:26:52 PM

by the way, i did buy my copy through steam and it keeps prompting me with the code when I start the game up, telling me that I'll need to enter it somewhere.  However, after hours of game time, I've yet to see DoW2 prompt me FOR this code.   icon_confused  Any idea if i do need to enter this somewhere?  or if it has it registered using that code automatically after i bought it through steam.
As far as I can tell this code isn't needed anywhere.  I've played campaign, custom games, and ranked and haven't had to enter it anywhere.  You can double check, but I think it's the same code as you can find by right-mouse clicking on the game in the Steam window and choosing "View Game CD Key", so I went ahead and asked Steam to stop bugging me about it.
BuckeyeShane
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2009, 03:04:53 PM »

Question to those who have the game.  How do you think it will run on a P4 3.6ghz with an 8800gt?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2009, 03:06:41 PM »

I'm running it on an E6600 with an 8800GT and I've got everything maxed out.  It runs smooth as silk for me.  You may not be able to go to ultra settings with that setup, but I would think that you could easily do high or medium with no issues.

BuckeyeShane
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2009, 03:50:38 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 20, 2009, 03:06:41 PM

I'm running it on an E6600 with an 8800GT and I've got everything maxed out.  It runs smooth as silk for me.  You may not be able to go to ultra settings with that setup, but I would think that you could easily do high or medium with no issues.

Ok Thanks, I just purchased thru steam, I'm holding you accountable if it doesn't run well  icon_biggrin
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2009, 03:52:07 PM »

Would I lie to a fellow Ohioan???   icon_biggrin

BuckeyeShane
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2009, 03:53:29 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 20, 2009, 03:52:07 PM

You aren't from Michigan are you  icon_eek
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2009, 03:55:20 PM »

Quote from: BuckeyeShane on February 20, 2009, 03:53:29 PM

Quote from: hepcat on February 20, 2009, 03:52:07 PM

You aren't from Michigan are you  icon_eek

no, but he's a traitor that left  icon_wink

Because I can,
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2009, 03:57:17 PM »

I'll be returning someday to the land of my birth.  I can't live without Amish cheese, Corell's potato chips and Mid's Spaghetti sauce for too much longer!

BuckeyeShane
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2009, 04:00:25 PM »

What part of Ohio are you from?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2009, 04:01:23 PM »

I grew up in New Philadelphia, which is about 70 miles south of Cleveland and about 35 miles south of Canton...the home of both the Football Hall of Fame and Marilyn Manson.

BuckeyeShane
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2009, 04:03:05 PM »

I'm near Warren Ohio about 40 miles southeast of Cleveland
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2009, 04:05:34 PM »

I'm not going this year due to some training I'm taking that will occupy my saturdays from april until september, but next year you'll have to join us for our annual Origins convention gathering in Columbus...if you're a boardgamer/rpg'er that is.

BuckeyeShane
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2009, 04:07:23 PM »

Yeah let me know, I lived in Columbus for about 6 years while going to OSU
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2009, 04:09:56 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on February 20, 2009, 04:05:34 PM

I'm not going this year due to some training I'm taking that will occupy my saturdays from april until september, but next year you'll have to join us for our annual Origins convention gathering in Columbus...if you're a boardgamer/rpg'er that is.

Origins is up in the air for me as well this year.  luckily it's right down the street from me so I can wait up until the last minute to make plans to go.

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: