http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 02:06:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dawn of War 2 - [beta impressions included]  (Read 10129 times)
Dreamshadow
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2009, 03:41:10 AM »

First impressions....  oh dear...small units.  I'm used to four to nine models in a squad.    Nice controls, easy to read hotkeys.    I really do like the scale of the game.  Can't wait to see how the commander synergies work out (IE, one player with a force commander, another with a medic).  Can't wait to play more!

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2009, 03:48:35 AM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on January 21, 2009, 02:16:23 AM

Ack, does that mean I can't play this on XP?  Or does GFW work on XP now?

Huh, who knew....I sure didn't know you could install GFW Live on XP now. smile 

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2009, 04:41:40 AM »

and they have Soulstorm on sale for 7.50 right now too!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2009, 04:45:20 AM »

So, I'm liking what I see, but I'm still too new to really enjoy it.  If anyone is on, we should start a game between us and just use it to test things.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2009, 04:46:26 AM »

I got a

2.8 dual core
3 gig ram
7600gt
windows XP

anyone with a similar system have any data on how well it runs?

Just Hiro will do.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2009, 05:36:23 AM »

The settings can be turned way down low, I suspect you'll be able to play, it won't look as pretty though.

As for the gameplay itself.  I'm still getting used to it.

The maps are smaller, but the pacing is manageable.  I miss the tactical map from CoH as that gave me a lot of situational awareness in one glance that the minimap doesn't.  In CoH you could get an idea of what kind of forces were being used against you, with the minimap its all blips.

There are A LOT of options and abilities.  For those of you who were worried that the removal of base building cut out the concepts of "builds" or tech trees, don't fret, there's a lot of stuff to choose between.  Firstly the commander gets his own wargear he can buy as he levels up, and he's usually worth a while squad by himself.  Then there's the force commander specific abilities.  Then there's 3 tiers at the Base, the first tier has all the core units, tier two has more powerful and specialty units, usually the first vehicles too.

You'll have only a few squads out on the field at one time, about 5 max.  So, it's all about how you use those squads.  All squads have various effective special abilities that you choose between and unlock as you go up in tiers.  There's all sorts of disruption and interlocking bonuses too.  Each squad has its own energy reservoir that power special abilities.

Tie that all back with your force commander's abilities and things get pretty interesting.

The game rewards micromanagement, but it simplifies other aspects enough that new players won't have to worry about base building and micro at the same time.  So while being micro intensive can be bad thing in other games, the core tactics of this game is in the micro management of the battle, and not so much the building.

Case in point, the Space Marine devastator squad now has a facing direction, anything in its cone of fire is likely to be suppressed pretty quickly with just the basic devastator guns if out in the open.  In cover they fare a lot better, but the like an MG team in CoH, the real key is flanking that squad, or somehow getting around them.

Because the maps are small and there isn't a way to really secure a point besides the power nodes, you'll have to learn how to split off, or leave a fast moving squad to defend your points from capture while you keep your main force in on the main fight.

Also, because you can't keep all your forces in sight at the same time, make sure that you place units in cover.  Out of cover, they can be killed very quickly by the right enemies.  Stick them in cover and there should be plenty of time to react.

There is a problem with the various team colors.  Because everyone is set to a fixed list of colors it can be confusing to tell who is who when everyone's colored the same.  I'll look for a "Use Team Colors" option, as many times I was caught off guard thinking a unit was friendly but it turned out to be an enemy, or a friendly unit that I thought was an enemy coming to flank me.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2009, 06:43:57 AM »

(Cross posted impressions)
Well I spent a few hours playing tonight and I am actually a bit mixed on impressions. 

The first this is the game is very disorienting to a typical RTS player, or at least to me.  No base building and centralized unit production just feels wrong to me.  Also, having to level up a squad to add more members feels like a bit of a step backwards from DoW.  The limited production facilities also come into play with the thing I like the least.  Map Control.  We played a game that lasted a good 35 minutes because we couldn’t produce enough units fast enough to hold an entire map.  Given that assaulting bases is also harder you are often forced to do a map control victory.  Gone are the days of epic victories, instead you seem to chip away at your enemy.

A big disappointment is I hate the new ork voices.  The original voice actors were humorous and endearing; most of the new orks are just annoying.  The rest of the race voices are fine.

Only four races might seem like a step down from nine but each hero plays differently so you are essentially getting 12 races.  I do wonder about balance as each hero also has 9 different upgrades they can take.

Game play in general actually feels slower although it demands more of your attention.  Cover and special abilities play a HUGE role now.  I like this.

Tyranids are scary to fight against but confusing to play as.

Graphics look great but given the amount of people dropped from online games because of poor performance this could be a negative for many.

Most of my impressions are based on playing with someone who doesn’t play RTS games so tactical depth impressions will need to wait.  She did enjoy blowing up people with her Ork heroes self destruct ability though, so any of you with wives/girlfriends get them to play, and make um Orky!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2009, 07:23:47 AM »

As a tip, you can play skirmishes against the AI by making a custom game, 1v1 and setting your opponent as an AI.  So you and your girlfriend can play together vs the AI.

The Space Marines are very straight forward.  I was facing an easy AI to see all their abilities and honestly they're dead simple to play, especially with the force commander.  They're mainly straight up better weapons and better units that shoot more powerful stuff.  Play these to start out with as you learn the interface.  I was actually surprised by how few abilities I had to manage with space marines and a force commander.

Also vehicles have been vastly toned down, they're still powerful, but more reasonably so.

I kind of like the Orc voices, but they are vastly different from the ones before.

Be wary of tyrannid swarms.  If they surround your units you won't be able to retreat them.  Don't be afraid of them either, just make sure you have some heavy shooters ready behind your front line to suppress and beat them back.

The Heros seem to have only a limited amount of gear they can take.

Also, I don't think you level up squads to add members, instead the only way I could see to add a member was to get a leader.  Otherwise the squad limit stays the same.  Leveling up probably just ups their stats.  Space marines are supposed to have very small squads.  But, this is a disappointment to me as well, as I would have liked to see full sized space marine squads against giant tyrannid swarms.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2009, 07:43:54 AM »

Leveling up has different effects on different squads.  I am an Eldar Veteran from DoW so I stuck primarily with them.  You DO get better weapon option as your squads level but you also get to add some units.  As you said this is normally a leader but I was able to add two “leaders” to my banshee squads after a certain point. 

Heroes can carry three items, one per column, but I believe I was able to switch them out as I wanted, it just meant repurchasing them. 

Probably my favorite addition is that you can use hero spells on allies.  I was able to use “guide” on an Ork squad at one point and it seemed to make a big difference.  I also like that vehicles take more damage from behind.  I pulled off some interesting maneuvers using this fact.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2009, 01:08:40 PM »

Grr.. my home PC only has an x800 in it...  I can't play it.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2009, 01:47:07 PM »

The technical forums on the site indicate some people having problems with serious lag/slowdown.  Running the game in a window and/or disabling vsync appear to help some. 

I love beta's.   icon_neutral

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2009, 04:27:01 PM »

Yup.  Just played a game where I could build one Seargent for my Space Marine squads...then any further attempts (even in new squads) to build one was immediately cancelled and the resources refunded.

I just got done playing a 3v3 Space Marines vs Eldar game.  Aside from stupid computers who won't work with you (personal complaint, the AI for the game is ok) and the above error, I'm pretty happy.  I thought it would be a pretty straightforward base crush.  I was wrong.   Player bases in this game are very sturdy.  I've shot at one for 20 minutes with Missles and Plasma guns...and only reduced its health by 50%.  There was a lot of back and forth in the midfield, and after ten minutes there was no cover to be found there.  I had to quit the game before I could complete it, and realized I had been playing for over an hour.  I liked the healing abilites of the Apothecary unit, and I am really loving the scale.  3 on 3 battles put you at almost the level of what you could field in DoW as a single player (in unit count).  I still need to learn how to use Devastator squads though... it seemed pretty useless.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2009, 05:08:18 PM »

Devastator squads now take a lot longer to setup their weapons.  They also have a set facing once they're setup.  So you'll want to set were they position and face manually by right-clicking and dragging in the right direction.  Once setup, and facing the right direction, they pretty much lock down whatever they cover against convention ground units.  Most ground units will get suppressed pretty quickly and killed out of cover, units in cover will tend to keep their heads down.  This is very useful against armies with swarms, and the single devastator unit can keep an area locked down long enough to bring in reinforcements.  Think of them as heavy MG teams in CoH.

However, they are vulnerable to other unit types like jump units and other things that can bypass their firing arc, so keep something on hand that can do melee near your devastators.

Dreamshadow, you sure you didn't hit the pop cap?  Squad leaders do take up some pop cap.

Interesting about the extra stuff squads get when leveling up.  Makes you want to keep your squads alive longer, and really emphasizes cover.  Now, if only I could see what the heck was going on during battles so I can get units in trouble out of there.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 05:14:03 PM by Turtle » Logged
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2009, 05:09:14 PM »

Haven't had a chance to play yet.  How are the pop caps calculated?  Is it total per team or total per side?  Is it adjustable, or a fixed number?

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2009, 05:33:14 PM »

SMs are limited to 100, not sure if its raised or lowered depending on points captured like previous games.  However, each individual trooper in a squad counter toward pop cap.  SM Leaders usually cost 5 pop cap, so if you're at 96 pop cap, you can't add a new leader.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2009, 06:51:25 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 21, 2009, 05:36:23 AM

The game rewards micromanagement, but it simplifies other aspects enough that new players won't have to worry about base building and micro at the same time.  So while being micro intensive can be bad thing in other games, the core tactics of this game is in the micro management of the battle, and not so much the building.
This for me is key.  In other RTSs I'm not quick enough and can't handle the information overload needed to micro units and still handle everything else.  If I end up mico-ing I lose track of something else and end up losing big.  In DoW2, there's less to deal with, so I'm more able to focus on my units.  I'm enjoying this quite a bit.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2009, 06:58:29 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 21, 2009, 07:23:47 AM

The Space Marines are very straight forward.  I was facing an easy AI to see all their abilities and honestly they're dead simple to play, especially with the force commander.  They're mainly straight up better weapons and better units that shoot more powerful stuff.  Play these to start out with as you learn the interface.  I was actually surprised by how few abilities I had to manage with space marines and a force commander.
SMs definitely seem to have the fewest special abilities per units.  However, if you want to play SM and still fiddle with special abilities, be sure to build some Assault Marines.  In addition to the ability to jump in and out, they have a bunch of different grenades available.  I had a squad in the center of the map as a quick reaction force, and they were a lot of fun to play with -- jumping in and disrupting and killing infantry or tossing Meta bombs on enemy vehicles.  If you time things right, you can jump in and disrupt an enemy when he starts to retreat.  This tosses him to the ground and gives your guys time to wipe him out, instead of letting him retreat back to his base -- very satisfying.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2009, 07:01:25 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 21, 2009, 05:33:14 PM

SMs are limited to 100, not sure if its raised or lowered depending on points captured like previous games.  However, each individual trooper in a squad counter toward pop cap.  SM Leaders usually cost 5 pop cap, so if you're at 96 pop cap, you can't add a new leader.
As I understand it all races have a hard pop cap of 100.  Capturing points only effects rate of requisition.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2009, 07:09:14 PM »

Assault marines are pretty much necessary for SMs, as they have no other unit that can handle hand to hand as well, nor jump.  There's way to get by without assault marines, using grenades and the like from cloaked scouts, but overall assault marines are great.  Also, it seems that no other jump troop has as much disruption as the assault marines have when landing.

Warp spiders, I think, can jump around more quickly and more often, but just shoot when they get there.  Orcs can send in a suicide bomber, and have a little disruption when they land.  Not sure what tyrannids have, the tunneling unit?

So that's a big plus for space marine and helps make up for them being so few in number.  Assaults can jump in to disrupt, then immediately jump out, or stay and fight.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 07:14:29 PM by Turtle » Logged
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2009, 08:27:03 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 21, 2009, 05:08:18 PM

Dreamshadow, you sure you didn't hit the pop cap?  Squad leaders do take up some pop cap.

Nope, not at pop cap, was at 64/100.  Thanks for the devastator info.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 21, 2009, 10:34:14 PM »

Quote from: Dreamshadow on January 21, 2009, 08:27:03 PM

Nope, not at pop cap, was at 64/100.  Thanks for the devastator info.
Rumor has it there's a bug where if a Sergeant gets killed he can't be rebuilt even though the button lights up.  I definitely ran into the issue with a squad that had gotten shot up.  You can see the discussion on the official forum here.
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2009, 10:46:10 PM »

Is it a bug or do we have to run back to base to reset the ability? I could have sworn my sarge got killed in a tyranid fight, and when I ran back to reinforce, I could reclick the sarge summon again? Either way, might be a bug as SM could always warm in reinforcements before...
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2009, 10:55:09 PM »

There's definitely a bug in regards to reinforcing and and squad leaders.  I had a unit of tac marines with 1 leader and 3 marines lose 1 normal marine, however the reinforcement/squad size indicator said I was at 3/3 instead of 2/3.

Also to reinforce anything, even add leaders I think you have to be at the HQ.  Not sure about leaders though, I will have to test that.

Since this is through steam, you guys should probably add yourselves to the OO or GT groups, then add me under the name "vanigan" as a friend in Steam. As it stands, Windows Live is only active in-game. I don't know of a way to send or receive messages or invites outside of a game through Live. Does MS Messenger do that? Was there some kind of standalone thing for the PC? I can't find info on that anywhere.

Anyway, being unable to receive messages and invites while simply using the computer instead of playing a game hampers Live's usefulness on the PC.

edit: Oh, and it looks like you can't even use the xbox website to send messages unless you have a gold account. Brilliant. Roll Eyes I'll stick with Steam, it's not as pretty, but it gets the job done.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 01:43:49 AM by Turtle » Logged
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 22, 2009, 01:46:53 AM »

I had picked up Soulstorm at CC over the weekend, and put it back since it was $27. Good move on my part, got in on the deal now. Now just waiting on the beta D/L through Steam. smile
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 22, 2009, 02:01:16 AM »

This game is so different than the original Dawn of War in my opinion.  I have a lot to get used to.  Everything seems so.... tiny.

LD

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 22, 2009, 04:16:39 AM »

Apparently gamestop is no longer selling DoW2 because they are mad it's also available on Steam, what with the digital license and all.  Too lazy to link, but most gaming news sites have a story on it.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 22, 2009, 04:58:51 AM »

I heard there's no way to fortify points, this true?

Just Hiro will do.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: January 22, 2009, 05:05:05 AM »

The only points that can be capped with a building are power points.  After you cap a power point, you can build power generators.  This isn't as big an issue as it sounds.  You can, however, play the various Tech/Building oriented commanders and build turrets to protect areas, turrets have a limited fire arc though.

There's a lot of balance and user feedback issues in the game right now, making it harder to play certain armies that rely on it.  For example, Infiltration is a bit wonky.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  The effect for it isn't that clear, and units will almost randomly go out of it.

They forgot to put the squad labels over enemy and friendly squads, so it can be hard to tell where friendly and enemy units are.

Had some fun games with Lordnine, although I kept freezing up until I realized that my onboard sound wasn't playing nice with the game, and switched to my USB sound card.  We got trounced in our last game due to turret spam, but only because we didn't know how to deal with turrets.  It seems that the APCs are a great way to deal with anything that causses suppression.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 05:22:01 AM by Turtle » Logged
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2009, 11:12:44 AM »

I posted this over at the Wargamer.com, and I think that this sums up by impressions:

I'm mixed. I initially was very excited with the first match, played as Eldar, and I was ready to pull out the CC and preorder. Then I played as the Tyranids (the vaunted most requested faction). Meh. They don't have many upgrades, they have few units, and I usually just end up sitting there watching them fight rather than doing anything interactive (like I used to with DoWI).

After playing these two matches, I realized - this is a mod for Company of Heroes. Sure, we all knew that it used the Engine - but to wholescale adopt most every other aspect? JH noticed that the cover mechanism worked poorly - makes sense given that it is a leftover mechanic that doesn't fit well with the new units and their attributes. The unit models are done well, but not well enought to make me jump for joy. The voiceovers are pretty good, but I do think some are recycled.

I'm just not sure I like the lack of basebuilding. That they place a HUGE area around the base and typically one tiny base defense indicates to me that they were never sure if they were going to have bases or not. The decision to not have them seems arbitrary and silly (and that HQ is armored like a freakin' tank, since it is all you have). The maps are much smaller than DOWI (but much like CoH) and I'm not fully sold on the requisition and power aspect.

I think it is a problem of strategy. With the old DoW, you had several paths to defeat your rivals. You could strike at their base and remove some structure to put them below you in the tech tier. You could go out an "lock down" requisition nodes with listening posts in a quick burst to out produce your foe, you could snipe all of your foes unguarded requisition points - particularly those without listening posts (and he had to made a strategic choice of listening post or better troop).

With this beta, I feel like there is really only one way to play (and with the small amount of units, not that many tactical options). To win here, you go out and get requisition points and power nodes until you clash with the enemy. You fall back and upgrade your HQ, sending higher tier troops to help and replace the troops you can't reinforce. You attack unguarded nodes to pull down enemy resources, all the while grabbing the victory point totems to tick down your enemies score. Why assault their base? Battles are a tad dry, as there seems to be fewer special abilities, not MORE than DoWI. Moving from a game with eight factions to one that has four is also jarring (a bit like giving up your harem to marry one of the girls - fewer options). I recognize they want to "milk us" with expansion like they did with DoW, but I already have played these factions - so now I just feel like they have taken something I had away.

I'll give it some more time, but I got less impressed from my initial "wow." At the moment, I see some glaring faults and omissions, and I feel the Tyranids are uniteresting (not visually, bit play-wise). I also feel that my strategic and tactical options are lessened (map goals, fewer abilities and powers, fewer units, no base buildings). Lastly, upgraded individuals with ALL upgrades, while it worked in a WWII setting, just doesn't feel right to me. The old way of building a building then chosing an upgrade that was given to all troops was more logical (I mean, these people can walk a chaos infested warp, they can pass out armor). Sure, you individually chose weapons, but now that seems less prevalent (at least with Eldar and Tyranid).

I'll go back to it tomorrow, and hopefully I can get more excited.

EDIT: I do want to note that I am a HUGE DoWI fan. I own all of the expansions and played the game over and over until I felt I had some sense of decent strategy with the factions.

As you can see, I'm a bit disappointed. I'll keep at it see how that might change, but so far - I feel like I am playing a dumbed down version of DoWI with fewer options than even the original CoH.

Bael
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2009, 02:11:24 PM »

I've played DoW casually and CoH for more hours than I care to admit, so I'll throw in my $.02 comparing DoW2 to CoH. I've played about 20 games in DoW2 and am a rank6 Ork, and almost a rank3 SM. I mostly focused on 2v2AT in CoH, and have one top 40 account as Axis, another two in the top 100, and and 2 Allied profiles that are undefeated (don't play much Allied unless we have to).

I don't quite agree with you that the strategy aspects have been dumbed down or removed when compared to CoH, just moved to different places.

First, the biggest actual change, and one I'm ok with, is the removal of the base building aspect of CoH. In all honesty, there really wasn't much to it to begin with, so this change really just simplified it so you only have to hit F1 instead of F1-F5. I also like the strategic aspect of trying to decide which power points you want to make your 'high fuel' by building power generators. I feel this gives each map a bit more depth because the player is determining where the high resource points are instead of always clashing over one point. This also helps remove some imbalance, as some CoH maps gave a huge advantage to one starting position over another (Wolfheze/Sturtzdorf to name a couple).

When you said you think there are fewer abilities, I really couldn't disagree more. I love that they basically split the munitions resource into two now, giving each unit an individual energy bar, then giving you a separate resource for your doctrinal abilities. I also found most units to have 1-4 'clickable' abilities, depending on which upgrade they get. In addition, your hero will be getting the same amount based on wargear upgrades. Then you also have the doctrinal abilities, which are determined by your hero, that you have to decide how and when to use. Do you want to save a bunch and try to get a crazy offmap artillery attack, do you want a 'superunit', or do you want to win skirmishes with the use of the lesser abilities and hope you can knock your opponent down before he gets enough resource to use his own abilities.

I think there's definitely alot of depth to it, but it is a bit deceiving just looking at the number of units and doctrinal abilities. Don't forget each unit has multiple upgrades to choose from and your hero has 3x3 choices for wargear.

One area that is lacking when compared to CoH though is the flanking/suppression aspect that CoH leaned on so heavily. There are quite a few counters to the heavy machine gun squads (assault squads, infiltrators), so you can't rely on them to lock down an area as well as you could in CoH. They are however, just as deadly to infantry if someone isn't watching close enough and doesn't retreat a suppressed squad. Also, garrisons seem alot weaker when compared to CoH.

Cover is just as important from what I've seen.

Finally, vehicles seem to play a less important part than in CoH. Sure, an early walker or tank can spell doom for an opponent, but each race seems to have multiple infantry counters for heavy vehicles, so rushing to a Predator certainly does not guarantee a win since most of those infantry counters are available a whole tier before the heavy vehicles.

So, in closing, I'm really enjoying DoW2. I think its different enough from CoH that the two can coexist, but you can definitely see the connections between the two games. Now... bring on the CoH retail patch and ToV!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 02:13:32 PM by madpeon » Logged
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2009, 03:11:37 PM »

Funny Madpeon, I played the other two sides and came up with my negative impression. I wonder if that means the Eldar and the Zerg... umm... Tyranid... have fewer upgrades than the orks and SM (they did in DoW2, but this was compensated a bit by having Eldar get access to a wider variety of "special forces" than the Space Marines). The Tyranid were just plain boring - but I did play the Infiltrator Lictor, and I know that there is a bug currently with infiltration. I'm certainly going to keep trying the beta, because I WANT to like this game badly (I seriously love the WH:40K universe, even though I don't play the miniatures - too poor and no friends play). The problem is that DoWI would be hard to beat - it was one of the best, if not the best, RTS games I have played.

I hope for more sides, but without base building, I just don't know how they would add the Imperial Guard. Perhaps the Necron (no need for bases there) and Dark Eldar. Tau is another I think needs bases.

I do have some graphics slowdown when the shooting begins. otherwise I am fine. I wonder what might be cause that and what setting I should change to alleviate it.

Bael
Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 22, 2009, 03:53:07 PM »

For anyone that is experiencing slowdown or lag I found this fix on the official forums.

I FOUND A FIX after messing around for about an hour

to fix this go into \My Documents\My Games\Dawn of War 2 Demo\Settings

open settings.lua , just use wordpad or notepad to open it
change
setting = "vsync",value = 1 to 0

after changes save the file and try it this fixed the problem for me

Now playing:
PC
Forsaken World

Xbox 360
CoD BO

PS3
Uncharted 3 MP beta
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2009, 04:23:06 PM »

Quote from: baelthazar on January 22, 2009, 03:11:37 PM

Funny Madpeon, I played the other two sides and came up with my negative impression. I wonder if that means the Eldar and the Zerg... umm... Tyranid... have fewer upgrades than the orks and SM (they did in DoW2, but this was compensated a bit by having Eldar get access to a wider variety of "special forces" than the Space Marines). The Tyranid were just plain boring - but I did play the Infiltrator Lictor, and I know that there is a bug currently with infiltration. I'm certainly going to keep trying the beta, because I WANT to like this game badly (I seriously love the WH:40K universe, even though I don't play the miniatures - too poor and no friends play). The problem is that DoWI would be hard to beat - it was one of the best, if not the best, RTS games I have played.

I hope for more sides, but without base building, I just don't know how they would add the Imperial Guard. Perhaps the Necron (no need for bases there) and Dark Eldar. Tau is another I think needs bases.

I do have some graphics slowdown when the shooting begins. otherwise I am fine. I wonder what might be cause that and what setting I should change to alleviate it.

Bael

That may be true, I honestly haven't played with the Eldar or Tyranids yet.

Also, you're going to make Warhammer fans  crybaby. Tyranids were around before the Zerg slywink.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 04:25:32 PM by madpeon » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2009, 04:32:42 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on January 22, 2009, 04:16:39 AM

Apparently gamestop is no longer selling DoW2 because they are mad it's also available on Steam, what with the digital license and all.  Too lazy to link, but most gaming news sites have a story on it.

here you go.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 22, 2009, 05:12:27 PM »

Heres a video for the Orks...

http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/41366/PC/Warhammer-40-000-Dawn-of-War-II/Trailer/WAAAGGH-Trailer

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2009, 07:21:46 PM »

Heheh, someone who doesn't know the truth about Starcraft's origins.  The Zerg were blatant rip offs, same for everything Blizzard does, the thing is they do it with such style no one cares.

I think the guy who wrote the wargamer article is in rose tinted glasses mode, that or he just can't adapt to tactical gameplay.  There are a helluva lot more options in DoW2 than in CoH.

One thing I can agree with a bit is that the lack of base buildings makes attacking your teammate's tech tree not so direct, however honestly you can still attack his teching by going after the power nodes.  Just make sure you either cap the power nodes, or constantly go and destroy any power generators around them to prevent his teching.  It's simple, and direct as well, although it's understandable that it's not as satisfying as blowing up a base building.

I'm thinking relic should have had some requisition points that could be capped by buildings that were part of the tech tree.  This way your higher tech buildings ar out there and vulnerable.

I also wouldn't have minded a larger scale game with more units on screen at once.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 22, 2009, 11:38:52 PM »

20 min dev multiplayer gameplay video

Orks vs Eldar...narrated.

Biyobi

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 22, 2009, 11:45:03 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on January 22, 2009, 07:21:46 PM

I also wouldn't have minded a larger scale game with more units on screen at once.

I think this is thing I dislike the most.  Space Marines fill up the 100 points really quickly with surprisingly few units.  I hope there is going to be a mod to up the cap.

Not yet sure if I like the direction they went with the game.  I've read that there are all kinds of new options available but I still fill more limited than in DoW1.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 22, 2009, 11:49:53 PM »

I stand by my earlier statement that if I could only have DoW II or SC2 Id have DoW II. Even if I could never play SC2. As is Ill get both im sure and they are both fun and entertaining but i want to see both game's cutscenes. I love the CGI that both companies do. I wish one or both of them would make a movie damnit,

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: January 23, 2009, 06:38:40 AM »

Some additional Eldar impressions.

Initially I wasn’t impressed with what had become of my Pointy Eared Friends but after experimenting I’ve learned that Farseer Map Reveal + Webway ability = really annoyed opponents. Eldar are actually even better at hit and run attacks now, although people are going to consider the play style incredibly cowardly. Basically the key to winning with them is to only stay in a fight long enough to have enough points to open another Webway. It amounts to killing one squad and then running. If you keep it up you can bounce around the map capturing victory points indefinitely.

I’ve also come to the conclusion that rangers are the most important unit in the Elder army. Rangers instantly suppress squads and can hold off large numbers by themselves. The only weakness to this seems to be Tyranids and jump troops.

I’ve won my last three games since figuring these two things out. Works especially well if you have two ally meat shields that can hold a line while you’re out pestering the enemy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: