http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 04:47:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dark Souls Coming to the PC!  (Read 1861 times)
Greg Wak
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2013, 06:45:39 PM »

Well be careful what you lust for, I guess. Waited for this to get under $10. People weren't kidding when they said this is hard. Man do I suck. And I am repeating a lot, just without the reloads. But I'm also hooked on the stupid thing and really can't stop playing. I don't think I have ever played a game this relentless.
The 30 fps cap is also annoying. Yes I have read up on the fix but it sounds kind of complicated and not without it's own problems. So I set mouse sensitivity to zero and got used to the rest of it. Don't know if I can hang with the whole thing, but I probably will. I let out cheers when I get through some of the nasty parts.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2013, 11:41:12 PM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on May 20, 2013, 06:45:39 PM

So I set mouse sensitivity to zero
I think I just discovered your problem.
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2013, 12:10:38 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on May 20, 2013, 11:41:12 PM

Quote from: Greg Wak on May 20, 2013, 06:45:39 PM

So I set mouse sensitivity to zero
I think I just discovered your problem.

care to expound on that? It was pretty much unplayable any other way.
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2013, 12:26:51 AM »

You really need to play this game with a controller, and that's coming from someone who prefers a mouse.  I've finished it twice with both endings and I honestly don't think I would have made it very far if I had stuck with a mouse.  A standard wired 360 controller works beautifully.

A couple things:

- Install the latest version of DSFix, google for the link as I am posting this from my phone.

- Mages have it really easy in this game, melee classes are much harder.  I've never played a ranged character so I can't comment either way.

- Get a good shield and learn to use it no matter which type of character you play.  A shield is absolutely vital to survive, along with investing in the stamina points to take hits.  Try and train yourself to drop your guard between attacks to regenerate it quickly.

- The game will allow you to wander into areas you may not be ready for, but that also allows you to also find good gear early on which can make things easier.

- To really take advantage of that, pick the Master Key when you create your character as it will get you in to some places early and open shortcuts in others.  I can think of a really great shield you can get within 5 minute of hitting Firelink Shrine.

- Keep an eye on your equipped weight, and unless you want to move like a lumbering giant keep it under 50%, or 25 if you want to roll and move really fast.  Remember you can carry an unlimited amount of stuff, it's only what you equip that matters.

- Every boss has a different set of attacks to learn, but one common thing I've noticed for the bigger opponents is to get in close under or behind for best results.  It's also very important to pay attention to the environment and how it can be best used to your advantage.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 12:39:01 AM by Glycerine » Logged

Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2013, 04:21:14 PM »

Hey Glycerine, thanks for the reply. I guess Canuck just wanted to snark at me. While knowing my way around the computer a bit, I have to admit the DSfix directions had me a bit intimidated, so I'm trying to get along without it. Funny, what I thought was a bit of stuttering was the game trying to show me I was very slow as I was running around with 100 max of my weight-duh. Started a new character-bandit, and things are pretty smooth. I have never, ever touched a controller in my life, so starting now would be very awkward. I seem to be fareing okay with MK although I had to look up a lot of arcane controls. Thanks for the help.
Jaymeson
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2013, 06:12:28 PM »

Greg - Until Dark Souls, I never had used a XBOX controller either.
I tried DS with keyboard/mouse, and found it so very lame.
I ran out and bought a $30 controller, wired, and never looked back.  I highly recommend/second the suggestion on giving it a try with a controller......

I'm playing a second playthrough, this time as a high-INT build sorcerer.  I agree with Glycerine that playing Sorcerer makes a lot of the game easier - at least for the first half.
However, where I was 'ok' at multiplayer with my Mace-wielding dude, i'm finding it really hard to not get completely ganked in MP with my sorcerer.  Primarily due to targeting (though the homing spells help quite a bit).  I'm sure i"ll get better, but just pointing out that where Sorcerer makes SP easy, its quite a challenge in MP.

Outside of the occasional cheating - I really really like DS's multiiplayer environment.  COOP is pretty cool (Jolly Cooperation!)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: