http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 08:12:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dark Souls Coming to the PC!  (Read 1650 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2012, 10:50:54 PM »

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/06/the-quest-for-dark-souls-on-pc/

apparently someone from Namco said if they got enough signatures on a petition that Dark Souls could see a PC port.  so, if you've been wanting it on PC you may want to at least sign it.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 08:54:25 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 04:42:18 AM »

and be able to play Blighttown without stutters?  IN!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 08:19:02 PM »

possible announcement next month.  of course the article mentions it could just be DLC instead.

Because I can,
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 08:30:23 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on January 09, 2012, 04:42:18 AM

main reason to get it. 60 fps all the time, every time. just make sure it has controller support.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 09:22:58 PM »

Now if someone were to mod in quick save support I might actually play it!
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 10:00:53 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on March 21, 2012, 09:22:58 PM

What's the point? You'd be left with a mediocre and short RPG with no personality. The way the game mechanics work right now is exactly what Dark Souls is about. If you can't accept that, then I guarantee you that you'll never like the game, even with quicksave added.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 10:55:47 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 21, 2012, 10:00:53 PM

What's the point? You'd be left with a mediocre and short RPG with no personality. The way the game mechanics work right now is exactly what Dark Souls is about. If you can't accept that, then I guarantee you that you'll never like the game, even with quicksave added.

Thatís not very flattering for the title then is it?  ďOur game is short and has no personality but you should play it to prove youíre hardcore!Ē

I played Demon Souls for a while and thought it has some cool ideas and moments but it didnít take me long to realize it wasn't for me because of the difficulty.  I donít like hard games.  I play pretty much every game I own on the easiest setting because I want to relax and explore the world or enjoy the story.   I just want to be entertained.   Not everyone enjoys games the same way.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 06:20:24 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on March 21, 2012, 10:55:47 PM

Thatís not very flattering for the title then is it?

Yes it is, because it speaks volumes about the quality of the gameplay. But please take my advice and forget Dark Souls ever existed. It won't ever do anything for you.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 07:02:17 AM »

wtf? having quick save defeats the entire point of the game.

god, i'm not getting into this again because it's quite ridiculous. but the game isn't hard for the sake of being hard. it's hard for the sake atmosphere.
the game isn't short unless you just run through. i mean some dude did beat it in about 90 mins. but no way in hell you're doing that the first or even 3rd time. he also skipped so much stuff and pretty much killed bosses/exploited some stuff.
took me about 25 hours

ps:the game is fair.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 08:08:39 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on March 22, 2012, 07:02:17 AM

ps:the game is fair.

Tell that to the Capra Demon. slywink
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 03:57:48 PM »

Itís just a difference in opinion on whatís fun.  Like when I played Amnesia I discovered early on that there was something you could do to remove the monster from the levels entirely except for some scripted events.  So on starting every new area I would remove him from play and then explore at my leisure.  Playing like this Amnesia was in my top 10 games last year; playing normally I never would have finished it.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 04:17:50 PM »

As I said, Dark Souls isn't your kind of game. I love RPGs but can't stand JRPGs, yet you won't find me in the JRPG threads complaining that they aren't more like western RPGs. Sometimes you just aren't in the target audience for the genre.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 01:00:12 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on March 22, 2012, 03:57:48 PM

Itís just a difference in opinion on whatís fun.  Like when I played Amnesia I discovered early on that there was something you could do to remove the monster from the levels entirely except for some scripted events.  So on starting every new area I would remove him from play and then explore at my leisure.  Playing like this Amnesia was in my top 10 games last year; playing normally I never would have finished it.

You didn't play Amnesia, you cheated and walked through it without any challenge. You broke the game is what you did.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 01:06:40 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on March 21, 2012, 10:55:47 PM

Quote from: TiLT on March 21, 2012, 10:00:53 PM

Thatís not very flattering for the title then is it?  ďOur game is short and has no personality but you should play it to prove youíre hardcore!Ē

I played Demon Souls for a while and thought it has some cool ideas and moments but it didnít take me long to realize it wasn't for me because of the difficulty.  I donít like hard games.  I play pretty much every game I own on the easiest setting because I want to relax and explore the world or enjoy the story.   I just want to be entertained.   Not everyone enjoys games the same way.

You don't like hard games but you invested money in what is considered one of the hardest games in the world and then proceed to shit on it when you can't play it because of the difficulty? The fuck?

"I don't like hard games."

SO WHY DO YOU PLAY THEM?

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 03:31:50 PM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on March 23, 2012, 01:06:40 PM

You don't like hard games but you invested money in what is considered one of the hardest games in the world and then proceed to shit on it when you can't play it because of the difficulty? The fuck?

SO WHY DO YOU PLAY THEM?

Wow! People are bitter and aggressive here!  I had actually abandoned the thread but now I feel under direct attack!

Firstly, I never said the game was bad.  I said I didnít like it and it wasnít for me.  My response was to the fact that someone claimed the game could only be enjoyed with one mindset, which I donít believe.  People mod features into games all the time.  Think of all the mods that completely alter games like Skyrim and Oblivion.  Or, think back to Farcry1, it shipped with no quick save feature and it was the first thing people moded into the game.  Sometime after that the developers patched quick save into the game proper.  Is it only cheating if you used quick save before the patch?

On the subject of cheating; how do you cheat at a single player game?  Who are you cheating exactly?  Games are meant to be fun.  If something allows you to enjoy the game more than shouldnít you use it?  Iím not saying that Ďcheatingí will improve the game for everyone.  What I am saying is people enjoy different things in games.

Why do I play hard games? I like to see what all the fuss is about.  If there is a way for me to enjoy them I do what I can to have fun with them.  If not, I move on to something more entertaining.  Simple Really.  nod
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 03:36:50 PM »

Quote from: Lordnine on March 23, 2012, 03:31:50 PM

Quote from: Sparhawk on March 23, 2012, 01:06:40 PM

SO WHY DO YOU PLAY THEM?

Wow! People are bitter and aggressive here!  I had actually abandoned the thread but now I feel under direct attack!

Firstly, I never said the game was bad.  I said I didnít like it and it wasnít for me.  My response was to the fact that someone claimed the game could only be enjoyed with one mindset, which I donít believe.  People mod features into games all the time.  Think of all the mods that completely alter games like Skyrim and Oblivion.  Or, think back to Farcry1, it shipped with no quick save feature and it was the first thing people moded into the game.  Sometime after that the developers patched quick save into the game proper.  Is it only cheating if you used quick save before the patch?

On the subject of cheating; how do you cheat at a single player game?  Who are you cheating exactly?  Games are meant to be fun.  If something allows you to enjoy the game more than shouldnít you use it?  Iím not saying that Ďcheatingí will improve the game for everyone.  What I am saying is people enjoy different things in games.

Why do I play hard games? I like to see what all the fuss is about.  If there is a way for me to enjoy them I do what I can to have fun with them.  If not, I move on to something more entertaining.  Simple Really.  nod

By removing the monster in Amnesia you're removing the core of the game, the fear factor, the entire point of the game is to survive. If you wanted to experience the atmosphere, then congrats, you removed it and didn't experience it at all.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 05:05:53 PM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on March 23, 2012, 03:36:50 PM

By removing the monster in Amnesia you're removing the core of the game, the fear factor, the entire point of the game is to survive. If you wanted to experience the atmosphere, then congrats, you removed it and didn't experience it at all.
And yet he enjoyed it...
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 05:15:23 PM »

Quote from: warning on March 23, 2012, 05:05:53 PM

Quote from: Sparhawk on March 23, 2012, 03:36:50 PM

And yet he enjoyed it...

Indeed. Why are you so upset about what Lordnine does with his own gaming time, Sparhawk? It's not like it affects you. My point earlier was that there was no chance in hell we'll see a quicksave for Dark Souls since its entire foundation is built upon the lack of that concept, whereas you seem to go on the offensive and actually attack Lordnine for his gaming preferences. That's just uncalled for.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012, 08:52:45 PM »

I'm sorry.

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2012, 08:56:22 PM »

*group hug*

slywink
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2012, 10:54:08 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on March 23, 2012, 08:56:22 PM

*group hug*

slywink

Oh I'll hug you alright. COme here... don't resist.... *HUGS* Man you smell great.  icon_biggrin

Lordnine, I'm sorry man.

Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2012, 02:29:00 PM »

Is the game really that hard? Bleah. I don't mind difficult, but having to reload to play the same sections or boss fights over and over is no fun for me.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2012, 02:53:11 PM »

Quote from: Greg Wak on March 24, 2012, 02:29:00 PM

Is the game really that hard? Bleah. I don't mind difficult, but having to reload to play the same sections or boss fights over and over is no fun for me.
It is really hard, until you start to understand the mechanics and learn the enemy types and bosses.  That learning process involves many deaths though.  If you think of it like "the best steel is forged in the hottest fires", that's what happens to you as a player.  You start to get better, and better, until you can parry and wreck even the toughest enemies and bosses.  Even then you will still die a lot while you're learning a new danger, or enemy type.

Some bosses in the game are frustrating as hell, even when you know exactly what to do, but there's a mechanic built into the game that allows you to summon other players to help.  That can make a huge difference.  It's definitely not a relaxing game.  As a player you have to be on your toes and ready for anything.  You know you're in for a test when the earliest enemy types right at the start of the game can kill you in just a few hits. 

It is rewarding though, but it's a constant test.   
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2012, 03:17:36 PM »

Bleah. I don't mind difficult, but having to reload to play the same sections

It's not that kind of difficult. You don't save or reload like you're used to in this game, but you can rest and save at bonfires scattered around the levels. This also respawns all enemies, which sometimes means you may just skip a bonfire. Dying means that you've learned something you can use the next time you're at that specific section.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2012, 05:37:02 PM »

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2012, 05:38:37 PM »

It's supposed to be coming out in August with some new bosses but everything else the same, according to NeoGAF.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Morgul

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2012, 02:55:54 AM »

Yea, when I tried the first one, it felt like I had to keep doing the same stuff over and over again to get back to part where I died.  It was a snoozer for me, not because of the difficulty of the fight or the fact that I died, but because of replaying same stuff to get to "the fight" to try it again.  I do not like redoing things I already got passed.

But, allot of folks love it,  so I say have at it.  If I ever came into a gaming drought again, I might give it a try again.

But as it is, I am buried in games it seems like.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2012, 08:54:54 PM »

August 24th!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2012, 04:42:54 AM »

and Dark Souls on the PC gets even eviler:

it uses Games for Windows Live!!!!!  OOOooooOOOOOooooOOOOooooo!!!!! Boo!

Because I can,
Thry
Gaming Trend Reader

Shop smart, shop s-mart

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2012, 05:45:39 PM »

Amazing game but with everything coming out soon and now this, there is absolutely zero chance I buy it again for the PC. 
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2012, 06:08:14 PM »

GfWL?  Christ, I thought they were letting that die. 

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2012, 01:54:12 AM »

Quote from: jersoc on March 21, 2012, 08:30:23 PM

Quote from: Harkonis on January 09, 2012, 04:42:18 AM

main reason to get it. 60 fps all the time, every time. just make sure it has controller support.

maybe not:

"To be completely honest, we're having a tough time doing it due to our lack of experience and knowledge in terms of porting to PC. First we thought it would be a breeze, but it's turned out not to be the case. We're still developing right now - we're crunching right now.

"In Japan there's not much of a PC market and we haven't really taken into consideration that audience before. That's one of the reasons why we haven't been able to step up on the PC platform until now."

Uchiyama went on to confirm that it hasn't fixed the frame rate problems that had hobbled certain parts of the game on consoles.

"In terms of the frame rate for say, Blighttown, From Software sincerely apologises for that happening [in the console version]," he said.

"In terms of the PC version, the quick answer is no, [we won't be fixing the frame rate problems]. Because we wanted to get the PC version out as soon as possible, it's more strictly a port from the console version. We haven't been able to step up into doing any specific optimisation for PC.

yeah, I think this may be a wait and see pending reviews....

Because I can,
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2012, 07:01:44 AM »

It doesn't surprise me, considering the stuff I've seen from other Japanese developers before. They often seem amazingly clueless to the realities of programming for the PC, doing rookie mistakes that even most fresh developers learn to avoid within days of starting their first game project. The result is that PC-games developed by Japanese studios tend to be bloated in terms of file size and sluggish in execution, with clunky design choices.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2012, 08:03:26 PM »

That doesn't sound good.  Although I do appreciate the brutal honesty from the developer.  I translated his comments to:
- Don't expect any tech or performance improvements on the PC, it's a straight port
- This PC port thing is a pain in the ass for us, we don't have a lot of time, so you'll get what you get
- We're sorry about the performance on the consoles in certain areas.  That won't change on the PC

PCs must be such a small % of revenue for them in Japan to throw up minimal effort like this.  Unless his comments were taken completely out of context.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2012, 08:51:17 PM »

Not a good way to market the game. That type of honesty is great if they can back it up saying they're working to fix the issues. But it sounds like that's not the case here. Will certainly be waiting for reviews before buying or just get the PS3 version on the cheap.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2012, 12:51:42 AM »

Quote from: Roguetad on June 07, 2012, 08:03:26 PM

That doesn't sound good.  Although I do appreciate the brutal honesty from the developer.  I translated his comments to:
- Don't expect any tech or performance improvements on the PC, it's a straight port
- This PC port thing is a pain in the ass for us, we don't have a lot of time, so you'll get what you get
- We're sorry about the performance on the consoles in certain areas.  That won't change on the PC

PCs must be such a small % of revenue for them in Japan to throw up minimal effort like this.  Unless his comments were taken completely out of context.

We got an interview with the team and they confirmed the same thing.   It's a 100% straight port. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2012, 02:21:30 AM »

as someone who played and loved it on the consoles i read this as...

"its the same game, its fu@$#ng awesome and we didnt need to change a thing!!!"

*in case you didnt notice, im biased slywink

my so to be wants are lean so im Veeeeery close to "double dipping" for the first time - though with games like this its never quite the same after the first time - such a wonderful experience the first go around and it hurts to know it could never be just the same
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2012, 07:32:03 PM »

Bill Abner says:

Quote from: Bill Abner
Seeing Dark Souls on the PC and seeing firsthand how it looks better than the console version. I donít care what anyone says about it being a port. I looked fantastic. Iíve seen the forest near Darkroot Garden enough to know that this was not the 360 edition. Unless other people saw a different area than I did I have no idea what there was to bitch about aside from the choice to use GFWL and the fact that the developer said porting to the PC wasnít as easy as they thought it would be. SO what? It LOOKED wonderful. I saw zero framerate issues in the E3 demo. In fact I wanted to stay and watch more of it.

-Autistic Angel
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2012, 07:38:49 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on June 09, 2012, 07:32:03 PM

Bill Abner says:

Quote from: Bill Abner
Seeing Dark Souls on the PC and seeing firsthand how it looks better than the console version. I donít care what anyone says about it being a port. I looked fantastic. Iíve seen the forest near Darkroot Garden enough to know that this was not the 360 edition. Unless other people saw a different area than I did I have no idea what there was to bitch about aside from the choice to use GFWL and the fact that the developer said porting to the PC wasnít as easy as they thought it would be. SO what? It LOOKED wonderful. I saw zero framerate issues in the E3 demo. In fact I wanted to stay and watch more of it.

-Autistic Angel

now there are two sides: a guy saying he saw no framerate issues and the devs saying 'we're not fixing the framerate issues'.  this could be comedy gold biggrin

was Darkroot Garden a spot know for framerate issues on the consoles?

Because I can,
VictorGrunn
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2012, 01:10:43 AM »

I'm kind of hoping this plays out that the game is vastly better on the PC than on the consoles, and the devs just keep going on about how they never did anything to optimize the game, leading everyone to speculate that magical programming gnomes got involved.

I already have it on the PS3, but I'll get it again on the PC just for the hell of it. This and Demon's Souls did a lot to promote some new thinking in game design, and reintroduce palpable difficulty to standard gameplay.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: