http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 03:35:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dance Dance Revolution?  (Read 1112 times)
coopasonic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: January 10, 2005, 11:58:43 PM »

I know, I know my man card is in Jeopardy just by posting this... I'm wondering if anyone here has checked it out (it's more fun than you imagine... really!)

Back in the summer, my company's IT department had a "fun day" at Dave & Busters, free lunch, games, drinks, billiards, etc and someone asked me if I wanted to try DDR. I gave it a shot and found myself enjoying it... though not exactly great at it. I wanted to play more but found my miserable failures at anything beyond the lowest difficulty levels to be a bit embarrassing...

Much to my wife's dismay, I put a DDR game with pad on my christmas list. I didn't get it, but I did get a Best Buy gift card, so I bought myself DDR Ultramix 2 with dance pad for xbox and I spent a couple of hours with it this weekend. It's a lot of fun. The interface is pretty simple, the difficulty ranges from "yawn", to "holy crap how can a  single human ever possibly hit all those steps" and everything in between. A lot of techno/dance music duh, which isn't really my thing, but isn't too bad.

How could I like a game so much and only play it for two hours over an entire weekend? Holy crap is it a lot of exercise... that's a very good thing for me. slywink

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 12:44:19 AM »

I myself also have DDR for XB.  I got started with it back on PS1... sadly I don't think any version has been as good as the original for PS1.  My wife and I were using to to exercise but then life interrupted that.  I enjoy it quite a lot, and if you are bored some day, check and see if your mall has an arcade machine.  Sometimes I swing by and watch these insane kids preparing for tournaments (my mall has monthly tournaments for money prizes).  Thier feet are moving so fast I would have a heart attack trying.  I also had a friend in college who was able to do the mode where you dance on two pads at the same time.
Vesper
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 01:53:39 AM »

Don't worry, your man card isn't in jeopardy for liking DDR.  Lots of guys play it, including me.

In fact, DDR is my primary means of exercise.  It's a fantastic aerobic workout that burns calories at a very good rate.  Generally speaking, I play everything on "Standard" mode, since some of those songs still kick my ass.  I have 3 of the PS2 games and one of the Xbox ones.  I like the PS2 DDR games much better.  The is much more dance oriented than the Ultramix games which are more slanted towards "hip hop."  I have trouble keeping in sync with it.  But some people love it.

I'm not sure how "good" of pads you got, but there's a pretty wide variety available if you ever want to upgrade.  All the way up to metal monstrosities that replicate the arcade machine.  The pads I have are Buy & Shop's DX pads, which have 3" foam padding inside.  Works quite well.

Enjoy!
pricecs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 03:00:16 PM »

Add me to the ones that love it - I picked up the XB version with a low-end pad from Gamestop.

Me and my daughter take turns - I'm slowly getting better and will soon be off the Beginner level  biggrin

If I can hold my daughters interest, I'll pick up a second pad and we can both go at the same time.
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 05:36:38 PM »

I try to play DDR every night, for at least 15 minutes. I play on light in workout mode. Usually I can do 3 or 4 songs before I have to stop and rest for a minute - it is a very intense workout for my fat ass.

When I started a month ago I was having issues with the beginner mode at times. Now I can do 100 combos on most slow-medium songs on light mode. There are still songs where I just sit down and watch the arrows go because they're NUTS!

On that note, is it possible to filter out certain songs from the workout mode?
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 06:19:05 PM »

Oooo, i've been looking for something to spend one of my gift cards on

Vesper, I don't like hip-hop too much neither, so which PS2 version would be better for me.
And which pad?

(did I just say "pad"?)

Rest in Peace, Nan
XBL Schins67
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2005, 06:58:21 PM »

Quote from: "Vesper"
I'm not sure how "good" of pads you got, but there's a pretty wide variety available if you ever want to upgrade.  All the way up to metal monstrosities that replicate the arcade machine.  The pads I have are Buy & Shop's DX pads, which have 3" foam padding inside.  Works quite well.

Enjoy!

The Konami pad that came with the bundle seems very serviceable (very thin compared to a 3" pad!). I haven't had it fail me yet. The only problem I have is that I play on an area rug and the non-slip surface of the pad isn't really very grippy against the rug and the pad slowly rotates clockwise as I play. I have to adjust it between songs.. not that big a deal, but annoying. I'm trying to think of a way to keep it still without messing up the rug.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 05:02:15 AM »

Is that Gamecube version of this any good?
(MadCatz)

Rest in Peace, Nan
XBL Schins67
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 05:48:37 AM »

I have two very nice pads for my PS2.  Has anyone tried to use one of those PS2-to-Xbox controller adapters with them?  I would love to play the Xbox version more, but I don't like the pad that came with it (slips way too much).

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Vesper
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2005, 05:31:25 AM »

Quote from: "Zekester"
Vesper, I don't like hip-hop too much neither, so which PS2 version would be better for me.
And which pad?

You can get any of the PS2 games.  DDRMax, DDRMax2, and DDRMax Extreme are all good.  I think 2 is my favorite because I like more of the songs.

The pad I have that I really like is available here:

Two BNS DX-Xtreme Pads  - $89
Two BNS DX-Xtreme Pads with DDRMax2  - $129

Can get singles, of course.  And they have just about every bundle imaginable.  If you can justify the cost, I highly recommend pads of this type.  The flat ones are ok, but have a tendency to slip around and don't register as well with really fast songs.

It says 1" insert.  I swear mine are thicker than that.  Maybe I'm delusional.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: