http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 09:18:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Damnit, Doom 3 Is Boring Me to Tears  (Read 3663 times)
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2005, 07:42:14 PM »

So as my sig probably gives away, Doom3 was one of the many on my list of games that I needed to play or finish. I had originally played it twice past the communications relay part, but a save got corrupted or something and I decided to start over. I even got the expansion on sale at CC to get the whole thing done properly.

Unfortunately, after playing a little bit every other day for the last week or so I am bored to tears. I am only about 3 hours in this time through, but I seriously have so little desire to go back that I feel like I am forcing myself to play. While I actually think the story is reasonably interesting, and I am a big fan of the effort that went into the PDAs with the emails and the voice-overs, etc. I actually find listening to them interesting and atmospheric. But even so, there is not really enough story to compel me to keep playing to "get to the next level".

It seems to me that the gameplay boils down to: walk down corridor, get ambushed by spawning enemies (usually one in front and one behind), kill them, find a PDA to unlock a door, rinse repeat. To make it worse there are only like 4 enemies so far (ok, flying heads, different kinds of marines, the flame imp, and the bulldog type thing)-whoopdedoo, it still boils down to fighting the same 2 or 3 enemies constantly.

To make it worse the weapons are utterly mediocre. THe chaingun and plasma gun are fun and pretty cool, but the pistol, shotgun, machinegun, even the grenades just lack any punch, sound terrible, and just don't seem that fun.

Anyways, maybe I will try to see if one of those old saves are still working so I can skip the next couple hours and get to where I was, but at this point I am just not seeing much pushing me to finish this.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 07:48:06 PM »

Theres a few main things that make it boring and suck.

1. Darkness
2. monster closets
3 lack of other npcs
4 lack of co-op

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 08:32:43 PM »

I think Doom 3 was pretty much reviled by the 'real' gaming community.  Sorta like Black and White.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 09:05:17 PM »

I understand the complaints as, even though I thought it was fun and liked the atmosphere, I found it to be somewhat dated gameplaywise.  I recommend downloading the Trent Reznor sound pack to improve those weaker weapon sounds.  I still need to finish up the last few levels, though.  I didn't seem to get the memo that enjoying this game disqualified me from being a "real" gamer, so that must explain why I'm not on the mailing list anymore. :?
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 09:26:10 PM »

I made it a little ways through Hell and then I had no desire to play it anymore.  I still want to finish it and I haven't uninstalled yet, but I'm going to have to push myself to get through it.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 10:02:56 PM »

Quote from: "Jancelot"
I didn't seem to get the memo that enjoying this game disqualified me from being a "real" gamer, so that must explain why I'm not on the mailing list anymore. :?
Sorry, that came out condescending when I didn't mean it to be.

By 'real gaming community' I meant 'word of mouth gaming community,' ie, forums, not reviewers.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 10:23:03 PM »

I actually finished Doom 3 when it first came out, but I have been unable to generate any desire to replay it since.  Of the big 3 FPS released last year, it is easily the weakest.  It's only redeeming value is the graphics.  

That said, I do think the game does get going a bit in the middle parts and there are a few moments worth sticking around for.  I actually found that playing only one or two levels a day worked best for me.  Considering each level took about 45 minutes to an hour (assuming I didn't die a bunch of times) I did really stretch it out so that the "sameness" of it didn't overwhelm me as much as if I was trying to beat it in marathon sessions.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005, 10:32:35 PM »

I got extremely bored with the gameplay a little over half-way through, but wanted to see how it ended (and if there were any more "Whoa!" moments along the lines of the dude on the ceiling).  God mode quickened the pace nicely, and I got to see everything I wanted to see.  I'd like to see where the story went with the expansion, but not enough to pay to play another game with the same mechanics.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2005, 10:47:53 PM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
I actually finished Doom 3 when it first came out, but I have been unable to generate any desire to replay it since.  Of the big 3 FPS released last year, it is easily the weakest.  It's only redeeming value is the graphics.  

That said, I do think the game does get going a bit in the middle parts and there are a few moments worth sticking around for.  I actually found that playing only one or two levels a day worked best for me.  Considering each level took about 45 minutes to an hour (assuming I didn't die a bunch of times) I did really stretch it out so that the "sameness" of it didn't overwhelm me as much as if I was trying to beat it in marathon sessions.

Oh yeah, its by far the weakest. Every time I load up HL2 to show it to someone or play for a few minutes I seriously find myself in absolute awe of how incredibly real the gameworld looks, how well it plays, how good the graphics are. The only reason I haven't replayed it in full is because I am waiting to do it on a new LCD monitor (come on dell, give us a deal again soon!!). Anyways, I think Doom3 is getting moved off the list for a while.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2005, 11:17:38 PM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"
I got extremely bored with the gameplay a little over half-way through, but wanted to see how it ended (and if there were any more "Whoa!" moments along the lines of the dude on the ceiling).  God mode quickened the pace nicely, and I got to see everything I wanted to see.  I'd like to see where the story went with the expansion, but not enough to pay to play another game with the same mechanics.

Oddly enough I just picked the expansion up courtesy of a trade with KD so when I play through it I'll spoil it for ya. biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2005, 01:07:05 AM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"
Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"

Oddly enough I just picked the expansion up courtesy of a trade with KD so when I play through it I'll spoil it for ya. biggrin

You're the bestest friend-I-haven't-talked-to-in-months a guy could ever have!  :wink:

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2005, 03:42:33 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Quote from: "Jancelot"
I didn't seem to get the memo that enjoying this game disqualified me from being a "real" gamer, so that must explain why I'm not on the mailing list anymore. :?
Sorry, that came out condescending when I didn't mean it to be.

By 'real gaming community' I meant 'word of mouth gaming community,' ie, forums, not reviewers.

Gotcha, I appreciate the clarification.  It's easy to come off the wrong way or to take something the wrong way without body language.

Thinking back I did enjoy the game, but I wasn't really pulled in.  When another title came along I was quickly distracted and haven't gone back.  Maybe I'll snag one of the flashlight mods out there and finish it up.
The General
BANNED
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2005, 05:44:00 PM »

Might wanna play the old doom games, thats what i do. I just dont wanna play doom 3. So i choose to play the old fun games, Doom , Doom 2 , Ultimate Doom, Final Doom.

Why are you trying to make fun of me?
You think it's funny?
What the ____ you think you're doing to me?
You take your turn lashing out at me.
I want you crying with your dirty ass in front of me - K.O.R.N.

* The World Aint Knowing "
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2005, 08:09:27 PM »

To rate the DOOMs they are like soo..

1. DOOM II
2. DOOM
3. DOOM 3

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2005, 08:12:11 PM »

hehe Daehawk-either way I think its on the backburner again-there are too many other games out there to get caught up on something that feels more like work than fun, you know?  nod
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2005, 08:19:10 PM »

If someone managed to wrangle the classic Doom levels (INCLUDING THEIR LIGHTING) into the Doom 3 engine, I'd definitely be all over it.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2005, 10:13:45 PM »

FEAR > Doom 3 in regards to scares and gameplay.
dandylife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2005, 02:58:16 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
If someone managed to wrangle the classic Doom levels (INCLUDING THEIR LIGHTING) into the Doom 3 engine, I'd definitely be all over it.

LE, there is a great map available that, IMO, captures the spirit of the original Doom games.  It's called Once Upon a Time, and you can get it right here.  For starters, there are no PDA logs on the map.  The lighting is much better than Doom 3's lighting, too.  I don't remember ever having a need for the flashlight.  The best part is the constant swarms of monsters.  It's no Serious Sam, but Once Upon a Time will keep you on your toes more than the built in campaign.

The only downside is that it's only 1 map.  I finished it in 45 minutes.  Had a great time, though; highly recommended.

U2K Tha Greate$t on the New Orleans flooding: "The issues that happen in NO, is well you aint blind, you know how satan do things, not only that, but did you ever think why the water couldnt go now where?"
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2005, 01:36:40 AM »

Alright, just played through and beat the Resurrection of Evil expansion and frankly, I want my money and my time back. What ass. I KNOW id and Nerve are better than this, but after hearing Carmack mouth off via QuakeCon about he's more concerned with frame rate than he is with physics I realize id is now irrelevant. I shall write them off, hah-hah!

/uninstalls the crap out of Doom 3 + RoE

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2005, 02:18:15 AM »

Hey Mitch, sorry you hated it that much.

I actually never went back to it after my last post in this thread. I just have no interest. I guess this is one that I can take off my list and just shrug when people ask and say I never got into it. I saw enough in the first 4-5 hours to tell me what the game and engine were all about.
unbreakable
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2005, 05:22:23 AM »

I played for about an hour or so, and thought to myself how much better SS2 was.  Then I got killed, and didnt really feel like getting back to where I died at, so that was it.

I was majorly pissed when the SS2 conversion mod got a "cease and desist" slapped on their ass.
FuronKamikaze
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2005, 06:25:25 AM »

The only time I ever got to play this for the PC was over at my friends because I hate FPSs for the PC (don't like the control layout) and even though I loved the first DOOM game I got I had no desire to shoot at a guy jumping out of a staircase with a pistol that sounds like a frickin' cap gun. The only reason I finished it was because I cheated, got the BFG, and commenced to blast the hell out of the demons b4 me, ah what wonderful bliss.

Xbox Live Gamertag: bandirooster

ONE GIANT STEP ON MANKIND
AND REMEMBER FURONS ARE PALE BLUE NOT 'LITTLE GREEN MEN', PATHETIC HUMANS
PS: Live not currently working and waiting on a 360 set for the 22nd
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2005, 06:41:52 AM »

Quote from: "FuronKamikaze"
The only time I ever got to play this for the PC was over at my friends because I hate FPSs for the PC (don't like the control layout) and even though I loved the first DOOM game I got I had no desire to shoot at a guy jumping out of a staircase with a pistol that sounds like a frickin' cap gun. The only reason I finished it was because I cheated, got the BFG, and commenced to blast the hell out of the demons b4 me, ah what wonderful bliss.

The pathetic weapons were one of the absolute lowlights of this game, I agree. How any producer/developer/publisher/monkey in the mail department could have heard them and decided that they sounded good and looked powerful is just totally beyond me.
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2005, 01:55:38 AM »

I had to quit playing after I picked up the plasma gun....It got to be really tedious and unimpressive after that.

I agree with Rage, the weapons really didn't feel at all any powerful, and didn't have the sense that they packed a real punch.  I hated how the enemies just dissolved into thin air.

It really felt like a tech demo, like all the quake games.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2005, 12:01:22 PM »

I didn't mind the weapons so much as their lack of impact.  When I shoot something with my shottie I want to see that sucker go tumbling or get rocked big time. Not just keep walking like nothing happened until I fire the required rounds for that demon type.   See Resident Evil 4 for example of how it should be done.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Kev199
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2005, 01:10:37 PM »

Leon!.....Help!

Leon!....Help!
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2005, 06:49:17 AM »

Hey, for those who've played the expansion, is it a little better/more interesting, at least?  I have it, and I've got four levels to slog through to finish D3 before I think about firing it up.  

Every once in a while, I get excited about playing Doom 3 again.  Then I do, and as soon as some monster beams in behind me, I get annoyed and hate the game all over again.  Really, the game becomes quicksave-push forward-get my ass handed to me, but see where they're coming from-load-try to fight them-load again-keep a fair amount of health/shield/ammo-quicksave.  Just arggh!  Does the expansion keep up with the teleporting beasties?

To think I drove to a store an hour away to pick up this thing...

That said, at least it does have a quicksave.  Unlike Far Cry (don't worry, I still think FC is a much better game).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2005, 03:06:26 AM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"
That said, at least it does have a quicksave.  Unlike Far Cry (don't worry, I still think FC is a much better game).

Did they ever implement quicksaves into Far Cry through a patch like they claimed they would?  I finally hacked mine to allow them but it sometimes caused weird errors to occur.  What a fine game, especially playing around with some of the alternate shaders it shipped with (I liked the cell shaded one biggrin).  I haven't tried it with all the fancy new patches and graphics options, but imagine it still makes for a heck of a tech demo (and was a fine game in its own right).

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2005, 12:06:44 AM »

Quote from: "Bullwinkle"
Hey, for those who've played the expansion, is it a little better/more interesting, at least?  I have it, and I've got four levels to slog through to finish D3 before I think about firing it up.  

Every once in a while, I get excited about playing Doom 3 again.  Then I do, and as soon as some monster beams in behind me, I get annoyed and hate the game all over again.  Really, the game becomes quicksave-push forward-get my ass handed to me, but see where they're coming from-load-try to fight them-load again-keep a fair amount of health/shield/ammo-quicksave.  Just arggh!  Does the expansion keep up with the teleporting beasties?

To think I drove to a store an hour away to pick up this thing...

The expansion actually makes the warping in worse as it warps in a ton of monsters the further you go, and sometimes you can even see the walls open right in front of you to reveal a secret chamber with a monster. Which of course then comes out and cheap shots you. If you hated it in Doom 3, know that it's cranked to the nth degree in RoE. Absolutely fucking worthless. Just so we're clear. biggrin

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2005, 02:05:33 AM »

I think I am forever done. If anyone wants my games for cheap, let me know. I will not be touching this snoozefest again.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2005, 02:58:16 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
I think I am forever done. If anyone wants my games for cheap, let me know. I will not be touching this snoozefest again.

Ditto.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: