http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 06:42:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DAI SENRYAKU VII  (Read 870 times)
hitbyambulance
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: February 23, 2005, 12:23:57 PM »

this looks pretty cool, i have to say....

http://www.kemcogames.com/game_detail.html?id=40

so far reviews have been very positive (on this board, at least)
RamPanther
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 09:35:04 PM »

It is also performing solidly with the professional reviewers:

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/583046.asp

It is a great game, and a refreshing addition to the Xbox library. The $20 price point makes it especially sweet. The graphics are crude, but the gameplay is fantastic.

-Free Mode
-Mission Mode
-Single and multiplayer
-mapmaker/map editor
-400 units
-Over 100 maps
-Units gain experience through combat (E to S class)
-8 different countries
-elevation, terrain, angle of attack, ammunition type and several other aspects all modify damage calculations
-save anywhere

Dai Senryaku is truly the big brother of games like Advance Wars. So far I'm really enjoying the gameplay.  It lulls you in with a false sense of security during the first several maps, but after that the AI becomes more aggressive, and the odds are sometimes stacked heavily against you.

There is also alot to consider in planning, as you must deal with air, sea and land units. Enemy units also layer themselves. For example, an enemy tank will be covered by indirect fire from artillery, as well as helicopters and fighters.  If you use your properly equipped infantry to attack a group of enemy tanks (each hex holds several units), you will often be counterattacked by three or four types of enemy units. Thus it is VERY important to recon the area, as a fog of war is always in effect. Failure to recon often leads to successful enemy ambushes.

Furthermore, logistics are important because ammunition and fuel is limited, and each unit has to be resupplied. (In the field or by retreat to a city)  In later maps I noticed the AI makes a competent attempt at breaking your supply lines and destroying your refueling trucks. In one particular map my front line troops were very low on supplies. I quickly brought up a resupply truck, and the AI immediately circumvented my tanks to attack the resupply truck. Artillery which had been pounding my Bradleys started firing OVER them and into the back lines. I was forced to retreat a large portion of my front line because resupply was nearly impossible. Pincer attacks and flanking attempts by the computer should be expected. The AI seems to be doing a good job of using combined arms. We'll see if it holds up.

The map editor is extremely easy to use, and allows you to create your own battles.

It allows you to adjust:

Terrain
Units
Players
Countries
Funds
Fuel
Allies
Max # of Turns
Difficulty
Map Name

When playing the Free portion of the game, you can adjust the difficulty level by changing the options listed above. For example, if you pick the map "Normandy Beach", it asks if you wish to adjust the settings before play.

Of course, the game does have some warts. The graphics are truly uninspired, and there are no changing weather effects. I have seen the AI make a few sloppy mistakes, but it is still far more advanced than what you would see in games like Advance wars, Fire Emblem, Romance of the 3 kingdoms, etc.  It is NOT a game for everyone, however. There is a relatively steep learning curve to play effectively. Dedicated turn-based strategy fans should certainly give it a try, but casual gamers might feel overwhelmed.
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 09:44:04 PM »

Yeah, recon is really important...I thought I'd flank an enemy with some infantry and walked right into an ambush frown

TheMissingLink on PSN
RamPanther
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 09:57:44 PM »

Yeah, recon is really important...I thought I'd flank an enemy with some infantry and walked right into an ambush

I did the same thing!  In fact, I made an even larger mistake. On one map I was forcing the enemy into a full rout, and had a majority of my forces driving east. Unfortunately, I stopped properly scouting the far west side of the map. Four turns later a strike squad of enemies came out of the forest and headed straight toward my capital. I was too far away to do anything about it.

Patton would be rolling in his grave.  smile
Jon Edwards
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 08:43:35 AM »

I picked it up today, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.  I could keep playing all night. I'm just on mission 2 so I haven't gotten to anything like the full range of units, but I can see how the full complement of unit types,
supply, and detection will give me plenty to sink my teeth into.  The game system seems pretty polished and the UI is easy to use. For $20, I'm delighted. I wouldn't have guessed it, but there's an old school wargamer in me still.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: