http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 12:55:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Culdcept & new Tri-Ace RPG for Xbox 360  (Read 1606 times)
Galadriels
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2006, 06:30:08 AM »

For those who missed the Monopoly + Magic the Gathering series, the latest title in the series is coming to Xbox 360.  More info to come on April 14.  

http://www.culdcept.com/saga/20060406/index.html

A new RPG is also announced for Xbox 360 by Tri-Ace, the maker of Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean series, and Radiata Stories.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/700/700382p1.html
Nth Power
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 07:57:41 AM »

Having Culdcept for the 360 is excellent news!

I thought it was a great game on the PS2, but sometimes I had a feeling the AI was cheating a bit.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 08:18:22 AM »

A tri-Ace RPG for the 360 is pretty big news, especially if it's going to be published by SquareEnix.  I wonder if it'll be Star Ocean 4 or something new.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 12:59:15 PM »

Quote from: "Nth Power"
I thought it was a great game on the PS2, but sometimes I had a feeling the AI was cheating a bit.

That's what ultimately made me quit playing.  It was a great concept and a lot of fun, but I always felt like it was cheating.  The AI would always get just the right roll to avoid your 'power' spots, while you always seemed to land on theirs.  Aggravating.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 01:43:31 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
A tri-Ace RPG for the 360 is pretty big news, especially if it's going to be published by SquareEnix.  I wonder if it'll be Star Ocean 4 or something new.

I would think something new.  None of the Tri-Ace IPs are big enough to be "system sellers" so it wouldn't make much sense to migrate Star Ocean or Radiata Stores to a new platform.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 02:34:12 PM »

Wow! Culdcept on the 360 could be awesome. The main thing the last game lacked was the ability to play online. I assume that will be possible on the 360 version.

edit: Hopefully it's not a Japanese only title.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 03:22:08 PM »

Culdcept may lead me to buy a 360....

PSN ID: EduardoX
depward

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 03:22:16 PM »

I like this quote:

"According to Tri-Ace, it will be their best title yet."

REALLY?!  THANK HEAVENS!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 05:30:50 PM »

depward let me finish the quote:

"According to Tri-Ace, it will be their best title yet." this claim is in stark contrast to their last press release for their last game, when they announced that it would be "okay, but will sorta suck worse than the last few games we created"
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 06:14:06 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"

Microsoft is publishing it.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 06:47:54 PM »

Quote from: "Doopri"
depward let me finish the quote:

"According to Tri-Ace, it will be their best title yet." this claim is in stark contrast to their last press release for their last game, when they announced that it would be "okay, but will sorta suck worse than the last few games we created"

haha nice   :lol:

Well, any which way you slice it, this is good news for 360 owners.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2006, 01:55:27 PM »

Some pictures are now up for the new Culdcept game. Can anyone read Japanese and tell us what the text says?
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2006, 03:22:00 PM »

Can anybody describe what culdcept gameplay is like (beyond a simple "monopoly + M:tG"? What would a turn actually involve, etc.?

I love board games and this looks fascinating.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2006, 04:28:31 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"
Can anybody describe what culdcept gameplay is like (beyond a simple "monopoly + M:tG"? What would a turn actually involve, etc.?

I love board games and this looks fascinating.

I'll try from what I remember. The board is setup with different colored squares. Each color represents a different element. Like Magic, you have a deck filled with cards of various monsters of various elements. Like Monopoly, the goal is to set up monsters on the squares so that when your opponent lands there he/she has to pay you (gold? magic? I don't remember). Of course, your opponent also has the option of fighting your monster. This gold/magic you gain can be used to level up your creatures (the ones that are set down on the board. A higher level creature gets more gold/magic from the opponent when they land on that square), buy enhancements (I think), and maybe something else I'm forgetting. You also get g/m for each time you make one loop around the board. The amount you get depends on how many spaces you own and the level of your creatures.

You win by reaching a set amount of g/m before your opponent does. After you win, you randomly get some cards (from your opponent). If I remember correctly there were hundreds of cards in the PS2 version. There's some story that goes along with the game and so sometimes you'll be playing with an NPC against two computer players and your combined g/m determines the winner.

Ok, that was probably hard to follow and most likely completely inaccurate. Hopefully other people here can fill in the parts I got wrong or forgot.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2006, 05:00:15 PM »

No, that was pretty good actually. So you are basically using your cards to mark territory, but unlike Monopoly, it sounds like maybe territory can change hands (if you beat the other guy's monster?).

I'm guessing some squares hold more value than others....

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2006, 05:37:33 PM »

Quote from: "Misguided"

I'm guessing some squares hold more value than others....

Maybe. I can't remember for sure. You do get a bonus, however, if the monster you place on a square is of the same element as the square.

There are also cards that your monsters can use in battle (item cards) or cards that help your or hurt your opponent's ability to move around the board (slowdown, speed up, etc.), and cards that can heal or hurt monsters on the board.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2006, 06:11:32 PM »

That synopsis makes that game seem like fun, Ralph...did the original have multiplayer?  And do you think a sort of online matchmaking service would be cool for the 360?

TheMissingLink on PSN
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2006, 07:22:37 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
That synopsis makes that game seem like fun, Ralph...did the original have multiplayer?  And do you think a sort of online matchmaking service would be cool for the 360?

It did have multiplayer, but only hotseat multiplayer. Unfortunately for me, nobody else I knew wanted to play the game; so once I beat the story there really wasn't much left for me to do. I expect that being Live enabled will greatly extend the lifetime of the game, as I know that there were a decent number of people here and on OO that played the PS2 version.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2006, 08:26:16 PM »

I wouldn't hold my breath on the Culdcept game getting localized, the last one barely made it out here and barely made enough sales to justify it.

The Tri-Ace game has a much better shot as they have a solid US track record. Hell, Radiata Sotries was one of my favorite games from the past year. I loved it.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2006, 08:40:03 PM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
I wouldn't hold my breath on the Culdcept game getting localized, the last one barely made it out here and barely made enough sales to justify it.

That would suck. Can a company really expect to make much money by making an XBox 360 game solely for Japan? Even if everyone that has a 360 bought a copy, they would sell what? 100,000 units?
Galadriels
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2006, 08:19:07 AM »

I looked through the updated website of Culdcept Saga for Xbox 360.  The following points are worth noting,

1) The music is done by Kenji Ito, whose past projects include Secret of Mana, Children of Mana, Romancing Saga series, and Shadow Hearts series.  He is formerly part of Sqaure-Enix, but went indie from 2002 onward.

2) Culdcept Saga will support online play via Xbox Live.  As part of online matchup, there will now be player customizing options such as individual avatars.

3) It will include a huge team of 28 illustrators for card & character design.  More than 470 cards will be available and over 3/4 of them will be newly illustrated.

Other than the above, there are notes about the story, 3D visual, and new elements to the system.  But they are sufficiently vague or irrelevant to gameplay, so I will not summarize them.
Galadriels
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2006, 08:46:06 AM »

Scans of Culdcept Saga from the latest issue of Famitsu.  Click on thumbnail images for full size scans.  The game is noted by Famitsu as being 70% finished, due in Japan Summer 2006.

It would appear that there is now a full fledge story with good character design.  The first scan shows a few samples of new card illustration.  The large team of illustrators come from all over, including fantasy novel illustrator, manga, anime artist, etc..  One of the artist shown is actually from Gundam.  :wink:

P.S. I like the music on the official site already.  

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2006, 07:27:30 PM »

Just so happens I can't find a copy of Culdcept ANYWHERE and on Ebay people are listing it as rare.  Dangit!

TheMissingLink on PSN
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2006, 07:32:19 PM »

Culdcept was a very limited release - I had trouble finding it the week it came out, and ended up having to order online to get it.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2006, 08:23:28 PM »

Just so happens I've got a copy up on Ebay right NOW.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2006, 10:12:48 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
Just so happens I can't find a copy of Culdcept ANYWHERE and on Ebay people are listing it as rare.  Dangit!

You've got to be kidding, I just looked on Ebgames.com and a search in my area turned up over 15 copies at 12.99 each.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2006, 10:48:37 PM »

Plug in zip code 98607 and weep biggrin  In a 200-mile radius, there's only one copy 153 miles away  :lol:

TheMissingLink on PSN
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2006, 11:12:30 AM »

According to Namco Bandai's website, Culdcept Saga will be released in the US and will make an appearance at E3  smile

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2006, 01:20:45 PM »

Culdcept was a really cool game, but the AI really cheated badly, making some of the stages long exercises in frustration.  It was amazing, how the AI always landed on the square it needed to time and time again.  I had to stop before my PS2 went out the window smile.

XBox Live support would be great though.  I imagine with other players, Culdcept would be incredible.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: