http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 08:49:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crysis Warhead  (Read 4262 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« on: September 15, 2008, 10:21:53 PM »

Is anybody else looking forward to Crysis Warhead releasing this week?  In case you didn't know, it's a stand-alone release that's not really just an expansion pack (full single and multiplayer stuff) but it's only $30.  It takes place at the same time as Crysis but on the other side of the island.

From the interviews I've read (like this one at Gamasutra) it appears as if they learned quite a bit from the production of Crysis that they are applying to Warhead. 

It's also supposed to be much more optimized for performance, which is always a good thing.  biggrin

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 10:35:32 PM »

Normally ya but Warhammer Online comes out so thats what im getting.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 12:10:31 AM »

I don't know if I'd actually classify it as "looking forward to" but I plan on getting it this week at that price point ($25 at CircuitCity). I did enjoy the original Crysis (the random InternetGuy complaints seemed overblown) and expect I'll enjoy this one as well.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 01:21:38 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on September 15, 2008, 10:35:32 PM

Normally ya but Warhammer Online comes out so thats what im getting.

There is that, but I'm not going to let it stop me from getting both.  smile

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 02:48:46 AM »

After I handle some oft delayed expenses, buy some other games, if there's enough left over I'll definitely get this game.
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 10:58:39 AM »

I sure am looking forward to it. I never really understood the bad reviews Crysis was getting... I thought it was a beautiful game, and it was extremely fun to hunt those Korean soldiers... I think it plays a lot like Halo actually, but then aimed for pc's... (The importance of grenades, recharging health, melee attacks, and the inclusion of vehicles are very alike to Halo).

All right, the aliens weren't much fun, but by then the game was almost over.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 07:18:23 PM »

this one will be a bargain buy for me.  If it was a full blown sequel it'd be a day one buy but as a concurrent story to the original I'm not too gung ho about it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 08:19:45 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 16, 2008, 07:18:23 PM

this one will be a bargain buy for me.  If it was a full blown sequel it'd be a day one buy but as a concurrent story to the original I'm not too gung ho about it.

It's $30. How much more of a bargain can you make it? biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 09:14:10 PM »

Definitely, I couldn't play the original because my PC couldn't handle it before but this time I'll be ready  icon_cool

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 09:22:10 PM »

Mine is on the way from Amazon as we speak.

I ended up playing through the first one in about 10 hours straight, once I got into it. Felt like a summer action movie  thumbsup.

One thing I'm concerned about is the DRM though. Here's hoping it doesn't have limited installs. BTW EA,  finger.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 10:07:06 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 16, 2008, 08:19:45 PM

And if you don't mind hitting up Circuit City it is on sale for $25!  Steal of the century!

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 01:07:00 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 16, 2008, 08:19:45 PM

It's on Steam, so I'm imagining there will be a nice Steam weekend sale eventually.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
XGC Mega
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 01:45:41 PM »

I'll be picking this up. I don't understand the beef with the aliens, I thought they were fun.

What bothered me was taking the game and sticking it on rails halfway through. I love exploring. The first 80% of Far Cry and the first half of Crysis were great. The open islands, freedom of choice... it was a blast.

So this is on Steam? Flipping sweet.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 02:36:18 PM »

Quote from: XGC Mega on September 17, 2008, 01:45:41 PM

What bothered me was taking the game and sticking it on rails halfway through. I love exploring. The first 80% of Far Cry and the first half of Crysis were great. The open islands, freedom of choice... it was a blast.

So this is on Steam? Flipping sweet.

From what I understand, Warhead is even more on rails.  The PC Gamer review compared it to a Call of Duty 4 approach.

Personally, that makes me more interested in Warhead.  I like non-linear FPS's for the most part, especially Stalker and Far Cry, but for whatever reason Crysis was very bland and uninteresting to me so their approach to Warhead sounds more appealing. 
XGC Mega
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 05:45:22 PM »

Actually, it wasn't even the rails. It was the tank mission, the plane mission, and the final battle. Ugh.

Either way, it was beautiful and I'm looking forward to this. It's not available yet on Steam, but I have it pre-ordered.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 06:03:37 PM »

For me, why the second half if Crysis failed for me was both the switch to a more linear scripted mission path along with those new linear scripted missions being pretty boring overall, and there was no switch back to the slightly more freeform play.

If they manage to make these linear scripted missions more interesting, and their fights more interesting, then it's a worthwhile change.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 06:32:57 PM »

i liked the tank mission.  it made the fight with the NK much bigger than just one man in a suit and really made me feel integrated with my allies.  i didn't care for the airplane mission though as that was not as much fun as i thought it would be.  the overall alien invasion deal was pretty bad too as you pretty much just ran the whole way back, hence the on rails feeling.  no big three way fights, no decision to fight alongside the NK as humanity's last stand, and really, no looming threat of destruction.  instead of staying to fight the giant walker, you hop in a plane and watch someone else stay. 

the carrier was cool in it's own way, but the big boss fight was pretty lame, and actually broken in my case. 

what this series needed wasn't a cod4 like pseudo sequel, but a full blown sequel with a much better third act. 

in any case, with this season as packed as it is, i won't be picking this up any time soon. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 07:38:18 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 17, 2008, 06:03:37 PM

For me, why the second half if Crysis failed for me was both the switch to a more linear scripted mission path along with those new linear scripted missions being pretty boring overall, and there was no switch back to the slightly more freeform play.

If they manage to make these linear scripted missions more interesting, and their fights more interesting, then it's a worthwhile change.

If you read that interview on Gamasutra they specifically talk about how they failed at both making drastic changes to the enemy AI when the aliens appeared and how that affected gameplay as well as how terrible it was when they forced you to stay in a vehicle later in the game (ie: don't tell someone they can go anywhere and do it their own way through 90% of the game and then just throw it out the window when you can't find an adequate design solution in time). 

Anyway, I picked up my copy today at lunch and my new PC was just delivered here at work, so I think I know what I will be doing this weekend (besides Warhammer Online).  biggrin  I will give impressions once I've had a chance to play for a while.

madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 08:38:13 PM »

Haven't personally confirmed it yet, but I've read in a few spots that neither the Steam or Retail versions have install limits. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Edit: Disregard. Still no word either way. I guess an official DRM FAQ is supposed to be available late today or early tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 08:51:51 PM by madpeon » Logged
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 02:26:25 AM »

Despite only being about half way through Crysis, I found myself in Best Buy today looking for the expansion.  No go.  I just spent 20 minutes playing Crysis for the first time in a while (I'm on the tank level) and now I remember why I didn't like it.  This game seems to believe that difficulty is measured in how many enemies they can throw at you.  Sure, I'm cruising in an M-1, but when you blunder into an enemy tank at point blank range and your shot bounces off the turret, you know something is wrong. 

At this point I'm very happy I didn't find the expansion.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 03:48:19 AM »

Ugh, that was another thing that bothered me even though it shouldn't.  They spent so much time modeling realistic military humans, plausible weapons with (after patch) good damage against humans if you hit weak spots.  But then they use a crappy hit point system for tanks where it doesn't matter where you hit a tank, it'll always take 3 hits to kill one.  It was so disapointing to me after a protracted fight with a tank that I managed to sneak behind the tank and plug it with a rocket in the back where the armor is weakest.  The tank just turned around and shot me.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2008, 06:27:33 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 18, 2008, 03:48:19 AM

Ugh, that was another thing that bothered me even though it shouldn't.  They spent so much time modeling realistic military humans, plausible weapons with (after patch) good damage against humans if you hit weak spots.  But then they use a crappy hit point system for tanks where it doesn't matter where you hit a tank, it'll always take 3 hits to kill one.  It was so disapointing to me after a protracted fight with a tank that I managed to sneak behind the tank and plug it with a rocket in the back where the armor is weakest.  The tank just turned around and shot me.

Ahh, so that's it.  I was looking at a walkthrough and it sounds like they don't really expect you to get very far with the tank on that level anyway.  Apparently it's easier to take out the enemy tanks with a man portable rocket launcher then the 120mm main gun on the tank itself.   Roll Eyes

Also, I've read a few player comments on the expansion and it sounds like the "throw a ton of enemies at them" difficulty theory is back.

thumbsdown

- American Dad
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2008, 06:48:23 AM »

Seem like they're withholding information about if the game has the same install limit DRM, but a screen capture of the installation screen show that it is likely to have install limit.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2008, 12:58:36 PM »

Quote from: Victoria Raverna on September 18, 2008, 06:48:23 AM

Seem like they're withholding information about if the game has the same install limit DRM, but a screen capture of the installation screen show that it is likely to have install limit.

Certainly possible but it also wouldn't surprise me if EA is just using a stock EULA. 
XGC Mega
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2008, 01:40:31 PM »

So I ran around the first level for about an hour and a half last night.

The enemy AI is still pathetic.

Otherwise, I am loving exploring the island. The game looks incredible, particularly since the only games I've been playing lately have been on the 360. I probably took about 20 screen shots, went swimming, chased ducks around, all sorts of random stuff.

I really wish there was a mode or mod of Crysis where you could just run around with zero enemies. The environment is much more interesting than the actual game.  ninja2
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2008, 03:30:38 PM »

Not meant as a criticism, but I don't remember the AI to be pathetic. They can find their way to you without any problems, can react to destructible environments, charge you or stay put, toss grenades... I don't really see a flaw there?

The problem I saw was that the player was a bit too powerfull, especially the cloaking ability. But I don't think that detracted from the game much.
XGC Mega
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2008, 06:33:58 PM »

You're right. My language was harsh. I guess it's mainly some of the suit perks and how the AI doesn't have an answer to it (mainly the cloak).
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2008, 06:39:13 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 18, 2008, 03:48:19 AM

They spent so much time modeling realistic military humans, plausible weapons with (after patch) good damage against humans if you hit weak spots.  But then they use a crappy hit point system for tanks where it doesn't matter where you hit a tank, it'll always take 3 hits to kill one.

Isn't the tank section like 15 minutes of this entire game? I don't think it was intended as a realistic tank simulation...more like lets blow shit up for awhile.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2008, 12:59:05 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 18, 2008, 12:58:36 PM

Quote from: Victoria Raverna on September 18, 2008, 06:48:23 AM

Certainly possible but it also wouldn't surprise me if EA is just using a stock EULA. 

They confirmed it. Crysis Warhead has the same DRM but with 5 install limit instead of 3. The multiplayer part doesn't have install limit.

Seem like now they decided to withhold information from customers so that people will buy it before they know it has the DRM. I don't think it'll work for them, people will just treat all EA games as having DRM if they withhold info about if the games have DRM or not.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2008, 03:56:43 AM »

Yeah, you guys are bringing me down.  Less talk of DRM and more talk of blowin shit up!  Blow it up good!  Tongue

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2008, 02:49:30 PM »

they also pulled the 64 bit files from the game...

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,660621/News/New_details_about_the_64_Bit_version_of_Crysis_Warhead_-_Missing_files_to_be_supplied_via_patch/
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2008, 05:36:51 AM »

I have it.  It's a lot easier to play this run and gun, but still very challenging to do so.  While you can sneak, as in the first game, sneaking takes a long time even with the cloaking.

The game definitely looks better than the original on medium (mainstream settings), and while I miss the great volumetric lighting in the high (gamer) settings it still looks great without it.  My PC is actually a $700 PC from a year ago, so people with a current $700 PCs will have it play even smoother.  I do experience FPS drops in the intense segments.

One of my big complaints from Crysis 1 was how many bullets it took to kill an enemy, you can usually kill an enemy in a good solid burst in normal mode.  If you're inaccurate and mainly hit limbs it still takes some time, but hits to the torso and head do a lot more damage.

Energy regen is a lot faster, reducing the down time, and also enabling more run and gun play if you want.  Heck, I was just playing around in one big encounter using only speed mode and a shotgun zipping around to close range with enemy troops and blasting them, it worked quite well this time.

However, I want to see how Cryengine and the AI would handle urban environments instead of jungles with some huts and trailers scattered around.  I'd have to say the AI is actually pretty good in Crysis, and probably better at higher difficulties, the problem is that the player is a power suited super soldier so normal AI humans will seem pretty weak.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2008, 07:43:07 AM »

I played for a few hours tonight and had quite a bit of fun.  I tend to play a combination of sneaking with the cloaking up to some cover and then opening fire mixed with occasional bouts of crazygonuts slaughtering. 

I don't have any problems with the AI, and they seem to seek you out pretty well after you have been spotted.  I'm not a big fan of the fact that you can get one-shot killed by something like super-punching a Humvee or shooting a jug of gasoline, but I guess that's life.  I made much use of the autosave and load features. 

I really only played the demo of Crysis myself so I can't do a valid comparison between the patched version of that and this, but the performance seems better to me.  The one problem I've had is that I can't find a specific setting to adjust the distance at which I can see ground cover.  There are times I can spot enemies coming down a path but when I zoom in with a scope a bunch of bushes pop up and I can't see them anymore.  I'd like to push that distance out so that I don't see the foliage pop-in. 

Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2008, 06:07:49 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on September 20, 2008, 07:43:07 AM

I really only played the demo of Crysis myself so I can't do a valid comparison between the patched version of that and this, but the performance seems better to me.  The one problem I've had is that I can't find a specific setting to adjust the distance at which I can see ground cover.  There are times I can spot enemies coming down a path but when I zoom in with a scope a bunch of bushes pop up and I can't see them anymore.  I'd like to push that distance out so that I don't see the foliage pop-in. 

That happens in Crysis as well, though I think it is improved if you can run at higher settings.

- American Dad
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2008, 06:33:10 PM »

Hmmm, that sucks.  You'd think there would be one specific settig I could adjust for that; something like "Foliage Draw Distance". 

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2008, 08:44:02 PM »

There's probably a config file setting you can change that'll do it.  By now, there should be some Crysis Warhead tweak guides out.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2008, 07:51:41 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 20, 2008, 08:44:02 PM

There's probably a config file setting you can change that'll do it.  By now, there should be some Crysis Warhead tweak guides out.

Yup- the custom config I use in Crysis eliminates nearly all of that. 
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2008, 05:39:41 PM »

So I finished this game last night and l loved it - one of the better FPS I've played this year. 

So now one caveat - I never played the original Crysis (outside of the demo).  How do they stack up to each other?  Most folks I've talked to seemed to enjoy Warhead a little bit better, but I'm wondering if it would still be worth giving Crysis a whirl as well.

Oh, and for those with performance issues, there's a nice little Crysis system.cfg to be found here.   It's basically been tweaked to give you really close the Enthusiast settings with a bit of a performance boost - especially in ice levels.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2008, 06:02:20 PM »

Quote from: Dimmona on October 07, 2008, 05:39:41 PM

So now one caveat - I never played the original Crysis (outside of the demo).  How do they stack up to each other?  Most folks I've talked to seemed to enjoy Warhead a little bit better, but I'm wondering if it would still be worth giving Crysis a whirl as well.

I haven't played much of Warhead (it crashes on me every time it saves) but I'd say definitely give Crysis a shot.  It's bizarre to call a game with a 91 Metacritic rating "under-rated" but Crysis seems to have got a real bad rap since it was released.  It's a little bit slow to begin but pretty much everything from about 1/3 in is just solid gold with the exception of a relatively crappy final level. 
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2008, 06:24:20 PM »

Quote from: Dimmona on October 07, 2008, 05:39:41 PM

So I finished this game last night and l loved it - one of the better FPS I've played this year. 

Oh, and for those with performance issues, there's a nice little Crysis system.cfg to be found here.   It's basically been tweaked to give you really close the Enthusiast settings with a bit of a performance boost - especially in ice levels.

If you like Crysis Warhead, there's no reason why you wouldn't enjoy the original Crysis. It might run a bit slower though, so you should be prepared for that.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: